PDA

View Full Version : Who Is Mark Carlotto?

Starshark
2003-Jan-12, 09:51 AM
I saw a documentary on conspiracy theories yesterday. Not your average documentary: It actually debunked ALL of the conspiracy theories that were presented on the show.

One name came up that I'm curious about: Mark Carlotto. He was rabbiting on about faces on Mars, pyramids, blah-yakety-yak-yak. Why I'm interested in him is that he was introduced as someone who 'does image enhancement for the United States Government'?

Does anyone know about this clown? What's the US doing hiring a crackpot for their image enhancement? Aren't they afraid he'll bodge up images to fit his pet theory?

While I'm on the subject, it's interesting how conspiracy theories can divert the public's attention from the real issues. Take UFO's for instance. One argument conspiracy theorists use is the fact that in 1957, there was a discussion as to how the government of the US would handle extra-terrestrial contact. Apparently, it was agreed that the public wouldn't be told. They might panic, you see.

Now, never mind if this is evidence of cover-ups or not. The real issue is how world governments treat its citizens like children. They should be protected from information: they can't handle it responsibly. They'll get emotional.

Should the public be treated like this? No, and this is something that conspiracists would do well to try to stop. But they're so worried about BEM's sticking pipes up their butts that the real issues are never addressed.

DStahl
2003-Jan-12, 11:28 AM
Who...or WHAT...is Mark Carlotto?

"Mark J. Carlotto received B.S., M.S., and Ph. D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from Carnegie-Mellon University in 1977, 1979, and 1981. He has over 20 years of experience in satellite remote sensing and digital image processing. Dr. Carlotto has studied anomalous phenomena including unusual features on the moon, on Mars, and in space. His book, The Martian Enigmas describes in detail his analysis of imagery of the Face and other possible artificial objects on Mars imaged by a Viking Orbiter spacecraft in 1976. Dr. Carlotto has published over seventy papers in technical and scientific journals and conferences. His work has been reported in New Scientist, Omni, and Newsweek, and has appeared in numerous television programs including Carl Sagan's Cosmos series and Sightings."

Haven't found much more about the fella other than the hype from book jackets.

Alan G. Archer
2003-Jan-12, 11:47 AM
From what I have read, Dr. Mark Carlotto once worked for The Analytical Sciences Corporation (http://www.tasc.com/about/corpbg.html) (TASC), which is presently a business unit of Northrop Grumman Information Technology.

On-line papers by Dr. Carlotto, et al., can be found at the New Frontiers in Science (http://www.newfrontiersinscience.com/Abstracts/index.shtml) Web site.

AgoraBasta
2003-Jan-12, 11:47 AM
Here's his site - http://www.newfrontiersinscience.com/ .

ljbrs
2003-Jan-12, 12:26 PM
I never knowingly waste my time reading nonsense and could care less about the writers of such baloney. I suppose that money can be made with little effort by writing to the interests of the easily misinformed.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

ToSeek
2003-Jan-12, 03:47 PM
On 2003-01-12 04:51, Starshark wrote:
One name came up that I'm curious about: Mark Carlotto. He was rabbiting on about faces on Mars, pyramids, blah-yakety-yak-yak. Why I'm interested in him is that he was introduced as someone who 'does image enhancement for the United States Government'?

Does anyone know about this clown? What's the US doing hiring a crackpot for their image enhancement? Aren't they afraid he'll bodge up images to fit his pet theory?

I consider Mark Carlotto among the most reasonable of the "Face on Mars" proponents (not that that's much of a compliment). His carefully-thought-out extrapolations from the older Viking photographs have been largely confirmed by the MGS ones. And he doesn't seem to be in it for the money or the publicity.

Meanwhile, your attitude that crackpots shouldn't be hired by the government worries me. If Carlotto does his job satisfactorily, it shouldn't be anyone's concern what he does on his own time. Heck, if being eccentric disqualified one from government contracts, I and half my co-workers would be unemployed!

Starshark
2003-Jan-13, 10:03 AM
...If Carlotto does his job satisfactorily, it shouldn't be anyone's concern what he does on his own time.

This is my point, too. If he chooses to interperet images to fit his pet theories, he isn't doing his job properly, is he? I'm not talking about eccentricity- you can work for NASA and believe in UFO's if you like. It becomes a problem, though, if you start using Hubble data to support your hair-brained theories at the expense of the scientific community.