Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: A general gardening thread

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    And in the middle of January!

Spacedude, Astro, plenty of room here in California.

(And here is where I would usually tease Henrick about the Danish pseudo holiday, "National Atmospheric Collapse Day!"
    Naw,like it here also I don't think you make maple syrup there.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost

http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

On Christmas morning my sister got a sign that said eggplant and all of a sudden in my mind I started thinking. "does she like eggplant, should I try to grow eggplant."

We actually had a hard freeze last weekend. The forecasts I saw said "light freeze" in our area so I didn't take any precautions. (My wife told me later that they did say "hard freeze." Too bad she didn't mention it to me before it happened.)

We lost a few ornamentals that I would prefer we hadn't. I think some - maybe most - will recover.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Naw,like it here also I don't think you make maple syrup there.
    Nope, we don't make it but I sure as hell buy it! I have three bottles in my fridge that are all down to their last inch.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

"Honk! Honk-honk honkity-honk!" - Marx
    (Harpo, not the other one.)

It was about 2C out today so started to work on the apple tree. The tree has some saplings coming up, I want to keep them but get rid of the dead limbs so it has to be done kind of slowly and carefully, don't want a big limb come crushing down on the parts I want to keep.

It is getting to the time of year to find the seed starting stuff, trays pots, seeds we have some left over potting soil, Also have to go and find the homemade drill and see if I get to work better at drilling into the maple trees.

My local home improvement center had seeds for sale 3 weeks ago, pretty early, so jumped the gun and stocked up on supplies. Just need seed potatoes and I'm done. On the garden front we're still pulling carrots when needed and I did finally pick that last lonely cabbage last week. Time to prune the fruit trees now, glad it's cold to keep them dormant as last year they budded out too early and lost them all to a late freeze in April. High expectations for fruits this year but the figs recovering from 2 nites near 0F is questionable.

Well I have been putting oof tapping the trees because I thought I have plenty of time before it warms up during the day enough. Well still have a week or so before that but we got about 40 cm of snow and probably going to get another 20 in the nest couple of days, it is just going to make getting around a little harder.

Hey, how many trees and how much syrup do you typically get?

I've only got 10 taps,maybe about 10 gallons at most. It is just to get out during late winter early spring. If the snow melts a git mor I might to a hike into the woods this week. There cheap only ten bucks but I have either get a passport to just cross the border and get them at the hardware store in Calais or drive half an hour away on this side of the border.

My brother in gets better results but her is on a different property.

It's hard to believe but it's time to get going on gardening again, In Feb - ugh! The warm weather has awakened the giant, one plum tree is blooming now though the rest of the pitted fruit trees are still mostly dormant. It'll be in the 70'sF here for the next few days and I'm not half way thru pruning the trees. Apples and pears still asleep too but are showing life signs. A late freeze last spring was a fruit killer around here, esp grapes. Weeded the fall planted spinach yesterday and mulched it with compost, a light rain today. Next in line is mulching the asparagus bed and pine needles around the strawberries. My daffodils should bloom now with upcoming 70's. It's way too warm way too early! Something only a krazy gardener would say!

Right now waiting for th local nursery to open for the season to get the seeds, there are other places for seeds but their seeds probably been there for years.

We picked our first spinach yesterday, it woke up during the Feb heatwave but winter is coming once again. Harvested the last of the fall carrots, a few were getting beards but still sweet and tender.. Still worried about the fruit trees, the plums are past bloom now and the peaches and pears are near peak bloom. Apples & persimmon are still asleep. Blueberry buds are swelling up. Oddly both the cherries, sweet and tart, are just starting to show some bud swell. The Low 20's F are predicted for the coming nights ahead. If my fruit trees are threatened here in Va then the peach growers a bit south of us are susceptible again like during last years false spring.

Anyways, got the potato and pea plots ready to plant but holding off a bit longer, soil might freeze up again this week. A few strawberries are blooming too, about 3 weeks early. The grass could use a trim but will wait till after this cold snap snaps. Hints of snow Tuesday, hope it's light.

I think I will scratching the maple syrup this year until I get a cordless drill. Still months away from planting anything outdoors haven't even started the seeds indoors. Tried to break up and transplant some sage plants form one planter to 3 all died, still have another sage plant and rosemary plant.

just planted our first wave of seeds in the window today. Our last frost in this part of the hudson valley is around May 15, so we've still got a lot of time. Tomatoes are the main attraction- Brandywine, roma, and rainbow cherry.

Well, I've made my annual sacrifice to the fickle gods of the garden. I planted three (yes, 3) tomato plants ... one cherry, one big (Goliath, no less), and one patio (I thought I had picked up a black cherry tomato ... looked neat). We don't usually harvest many tomatoes, but my wife likes to (watch me) tend and grow them anyway.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I'll be starting our tomato seeds indoors in about 2 weeks from now, followed by melon seeds indoors 4 weeks from now. Our last frost date is generally in mid/late April but it's really the soil temperature that matters most for good initial growth, 60+F is best for these tender plants. Looks like next week will be peas, potatoes, and lettuce seed planting time....assuming the long range forecast looks reasonably moderate. Got 1.75" of cold rain and some sleet overnite, a good soaker, not too much.....btw, our favorite tomato varieties are the heirlooms, Brandywine Sudduth & Cherokee Purple. Not huge producers but the best quality and flavors for home grown vine ripened.

I had two trees in the backyard. One died over the winter. The other, the expensive Magnolia, was killed by the kids. Nice. Two-dimensional garden it is. Sigh.

Went out and got some seeds now, I need to find a spot to start them.

Took advantage of the past 2 days of nice weather to plant the potatoes, peas, lettuces, and radishes. The plums will be a total loss but the pears & peaches might be ok enough to save half the crops, will see soon, still early yet with last frost date still weeks away. Cut out the dead wood from the blueberry and pomegranate bushes, no blooms on them yet but the blues are at bud swell. Apples, cherries, and persimmon still asleep, am surprised still at the cherries, they are alive, maybe word got out that their cousins in DC got frost bite?. Time to get the mowers out of hibernation. Daffodils past peak, tulips budding up. The red dogwoods are loaded with buds and should put on a good show...smooth sailing weatherwise!

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Soon, I'll be getting a garden. It won't be especially large. About 7 metres by 5 metres I guess. Reckon I could grow any decent quantity of carrots or potatos in this space?

Glom, sure that's plenty of room, esp for the carrots. The most important thing about growing veggies is having a plot that receives full direct sun light for at least 6 hours/day, 8+ hours is best. Carrots are slow to germinate so keeping them weeded from the start and thinned out to 2" apart is crucial for a good plump crop. Depending upon your location you can plant carrots again in late August for harvesting in late autumn. I find them sweeter as a fall crop.

With the sudden spot freeze of course "the news" highlights the harm to Georgia peaches but being from the "Peach" State let me highlight South Carolina has long been the real peach state for a long time. I hope none of our crops have suffered but I get tired of old labels that are not true. Now if only I had some fresh sliced peaches for breakfast I wouldn't be so cranky.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

Quote Originally Posted by DukePaul View Post
    With the sudden spot freeze of course "the news" highlights the harm to Georgia peaches but being from the "Peach" State let me highlight South Carolina has long been the real peach state for a long time. I hope none of our crops have suffered but I get tired of old labels that are not true. Now if only I had some fresh sliced peaches for breakfast I wouldn't be so cranky.
    Can get nice peaches up here, too.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

I did our first cut of the dendelion and moss patch I laughingly call a lawn on Wednesday with what has to be the worst lawn mower ever designed. It's supposed to hover, which it does until there are a few blades of grass in the rear mounted grass bin. Then it's centre of gravity changes and it tilts backwards and no longer hovers, instead it drags along the ground. A few more blades of grass cuts the air flow enough to remove all attempts at hovering and it's like pushing a plough. Every year I tell myself to throw it away but I am too tight to buy a new one.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Hey Captain, I little advice to you and others who have an unwanted moss lawn.

Most mosses are low metabolism type of organism relative to most grasses. So if you have enough light and moisture to support moss, but not grass, then what you have is a fertilizer issue.

Given enough food, grass will always out compete moss. And lawn grass likes a lot of food.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

"Honk! Honk-honk honkity-honk!" - Marx
    (Harpo, not the other one.)