Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: A general gardening thread

I like to try new plants every once and a while. Years ago I had a prof who was into gardening and asked if I ever tried eggplant so this year it is eggplant.
    ETA Another thing is we don't eat eggplant so I don't know what to do with it.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Apr-17 at 02:30 AM.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

We do grow eggplant (it's a pretty plant) and the best way to prepare it for eating is to slice it into 1" thick steaks (skin still on), oil up both sides with olive oil, salt & pepper it, and grill it on bbq. Flip it over a couple of times as it browns up to a tender texture. It's best tasting if picked while the purple skin is still glossy and before it turns dull. If it's gets too mature on the plant it will get overly seedy and bitter tasting.

Our three over-wintering tomato plants have just about played out. They produced very well and each still have several ripening fruit left. Once they've been picked I may wait to see if any new blooms appear. Then it's either trim them back drastically and see if that sparks growth and blooms, or just toss them.

I think I'll try this again come fall, only planned this time around.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The chives are up raked some of the dead grass away from them.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Just as we get some warm weather at last in the UK we hear more bees, more bumble and solitary bees which is good but alas four days ago horror was sighted in Bury near Manchester, i.e. a long way from France and the Netherlands: an Asian Hornet. These are aggressive and apart from being nasty critters for humans, they attack honey bees. No effective predators. I heard that there will be an attempt to eradicate them before they get a hold here but the evidence suggests they can fly the channel. In France they have a kill programme when they find the nests but eradication is not expected, they arrive in numbers from the East.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

I guess the bees have to bee careful. hopefully they can't fly over bigger masses of water like the Atlantic.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I guess the bees have to bee careful. hopefully they can't fly over bigger masses of water like the Atlantic.
    I guess you will have to stick with your own hornets, how are those killer Mexican bees doing?
    sicut vis videre esto

Haven't gotten this far north yet, the cold keeps some pest away really good.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Yep, so far so good as the killer bees, fire ants, alligators, and retired people stay south of the Mason/Dixon line ;-).....but maybe one day I'll be able to grow oranges here.

Today getting the indoors greenhouse set up and starting some seeds.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Now that the temperature has picked up, the grass is really growing. Figment is practically buried.

A lovely common mullein (if that is indeed what it is) has popped up by the fence. I might try to move it to somewhere to better show it off. Though it has been feed on quite a bit. That tends to happen a lot in my garden. Maybe my contentment with allowing a bit of wild has backfired. It has meant no nice plant survives unscathed.

Hopefully this weekend, I will do some grass seeding and also sorting out the random clumps that arose from when I dumped balls of excavated grass during the path construction.

Felt like going outdoors again this evening and saw that the tiger lilies needed more sun and the grape vine was blocking most of the light. When hacking away at the grapes vines I realized a couple of small trees was acting like scaffolding for the vines. Do the went out but also and to prune back some roses and wild raspberry plants, one of the rose nearly took my hat off. The entire area is a bit snafu.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Our three over-wintering tomato plants have just about played out. ... it's either trim them back drastically and see if that sparks growth and blooms, or just toss them.

I think I'll try this again come fall, only planned this time around.
    My wife has decided. These plants go and we plant bell peppers. More tomatoes next fall.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

I actually delayed statring my plants because I didn't think enough potting soil.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

We have a row of six oleanders along the south wall of our house. Oleanders can handle light freezes, but we had a couple of not-so-light ones this past winter and they froze back quite a bit this time. I pruned them back and four of them made a nice recovery; two did not. We were making plans to replace them (hard to do as they are apricot, not an easy color to find) but over the weekend I noticed those two are putting on shoots. It may take most of the summer for them to make a full recovery, but they're working on it.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Jim, a similar winter freeze situation here with 2 gardenia bushes on the south side of our house. Both look mostly dead at the moment but trimming back the deadwood by half should hopefully spring them back to life (there are hints of green). We did lose the 2 figs (again) but new shoots should pop up from the roots soon.

As for the rest of the garden, it's on hold for a few daze as my back recovers from too much recent digging, ugh. It's been too cold to plant my flat of tomato plants but with my wife's help we can re-pot them up for later in-ground planting. We're getting a nice rain today to help the newly planted seeds to break through (carrots, beets, corn, potatoes). Next I need to plant the snap beans, squash, sweet potatoes, and butter beans soon. I was able to start the watermelons and cuke seeds indoors this week. Will be buying pepper, eggplant, and cantaloupe transplants at the nursery next week. All fruit trees look good, ample plums, peaches, and pears hanging out there while the apples & cherries bloom. Surprisingly my pomegranate survived and it's leafing out now, hopefully blooms will follow.

The rhubarb is coming out and the crocuses are flowering. Started to clean up the remains of a tree that I cut down a couple of months ago this evening. Also put together the indoor greenhouse and took a quick hike today.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Went out to start the seeds. After getting one tray started it the rain came pretty gentle right now. I left the tray out to get watered, bring it in.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

My cuke and melon seeds are just popping in their tray. The tomato plants need transplanting and repotting as they're growing fast in their tray. Hopefully no frosts expected in the days ahead, temps look to be moderating and a warming trend is coming. Strawberries are green and plumping up while the bumblebee types are busy pollinating the blueberries. There's a persistent lone baby bunny lurking around out there, something gnawed thru one of my broccoli plants like a beaver, way too thick for a cutworm.....I'm watching you bunny wabbit.

Finally got the seeds all started, kept but it off but needed to outdoors today a bit too soar to much else.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

After a successful planting, do ya'll say, "Weed 'em an' reap!" or something?

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    After a successful planting, do ya'll say, "Weed 'em an' reap!" or something?
    That's a good one.

The astor that appeared to die out front last year is regrowing quite gloriously. Some massive weeds have thickened out the bed but I've started pulling them when they get in the way of the higher priority plants.

"Weed 'em an' reap!"

Nice, will remember that one. Many people give up on gardening by August when it's too hot and the weeds are running away with it.
    Presently most of our garden is planted, just need to set out the watermelon seedlings and some later corn seed. The spinach has been remarkable but it's showing signs of bolting soon. Picking strawberries daily now and the peas are getting ready to bloom. The snaps and butterbeans are popping up. One broccoli head is forming so it won't be long for those. 20 tomato plants are now in the ground, 2 are blooming. ...now back to that weeding so we can reap longer.

A lot of the seeds have sprouted. Yesterday I noticed that the snowball tree by grand parents grace needs a little, should take my pruning shears and saw with me in case I end up there today, dot a couple routes still that end up there.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    "Weed 'em an' reap!"

Nice, will remember that one. Many people give up on gardening by August when it's too hot and the weeds are running away with it.
    Presently most of our garden is planted, just need to set out the watermelon seedlings and some later corn seed. The spinach has been remarkable but it's showing signs of bolting soon. Picking strawberries daily now and the peas are getting ready to bloom. The snaps and butterbeans are popping up. One broccoli head is forming so it won't be long for those. 20 tomato plants are now in the ground, 2 are blooming. ...now back to that weeding so we can reap longer.
    My approach to weeding is to fill the borders with plants and bushes so there simply is no place for weeds to grow. Alas, currently my garden still is way too empty for that. So weeding it is... On the bright side: the garden finally is looking more alive and full rather than a desert. The soil quality is still below zero, but some plants have managed to catch on.

Currently trying to grow a tree in the backyard, attemt 4 (year 4). Hopefully this one doesn't die.

I'll have to identify some bushes that need to be moved in summer and do so in winter, as some large ones are too close together now and there are empty spots elsewhere.

All the trees are getting ready to blossom. I don't think I saw dandelion all day but hit some chives with the lawn mower.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Picked the first broccoli yesterday, it's getting hot here so things are speeding up harvest wise. The peas are blooming, the cabbages are heading, and everything is now in the ground, all transplants are planted. The strawberries are past peak now while the blueberries are plumping up. Need to thin the peaches and pears this week, branches are heavy. Back to weeding, general maintenance, and pest control as overwintered bugs are waking up and hungry.

Just waiting to get paid so I can get parts, a few odd and ends things to do. What I should do is get a neighbor who has a tractor with the tilling equipment to go over the garden since it hasn't been tilled in over a year but last time I asked him to it he hinted he wanted a rhubarb pant and I didn't get to it. Also the latest tractor catalog showed up today which just adds salt to injury.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

This afternoons projects moving the little greenhouse onto the porch for better light and might set the out door one so it is ready when it is warm enough at night.
    It would be nice someday to have a tractor of my on so many things to get done.
    Don't Panic THGTTG