Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: A general gardening thread

Looks like the cucumber beetles have struck the cukes and zukes so I out some insecticide on them, it is the only way to control them,
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Backroad, you don't have to say it like it's shameful or anything.

Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    My horticultural free love phase is over.

My prized felt weed is gone. It had little black specs all over it.

I also went on the rampage on the drive pulling up little weeds. What part of internal combustion engine made them think my car and nature could coexist?

Yep Backroads, we got both the striped and spotted cuke beetles here too, they do some leaf damage but they spread a wilt disease that can wipe out the plants quick too. We picked a ton of snaps this morning and right now I'm testing out our new pressure canner on them. We usually blanch and freeze snaps (green beans) but are trying out this new method of preserving them to save some freezer space for other things. The regular canner is used for more acidic items like tomatoes and pickles. It's very hot & humid now here so working outside is exhausting, can't take the heat like I used too. The rain has been good lately but it's a bit too much with more coming.

Don, I've had the gardening bug since I was 4 years old when my older brother who was babysitting me at the time gave me a packet of carrot seeds and told me to go get lost in the back yard, it worked. My garden used to be twice as big but I had to cut back before someone planted me ;-)

The first potato plant has poked thru which means soon the potato bugs will be back.

Does anyone know what kind of wild flowers theses are.
    https://twitter.com/BackroadAstro/st...78738298408961

Just trying to put a fence for the pole beans, couldn't find one saw.
    maybe start mowing the lawn latter or tomorrow.

If I wanted this kind of weather, I'd move to Kalymnos. It's going to cost me a fortune in water and I don't think the Polyanthus likes it. The lawn is not looking great either after the mowing. Lots of wheat like stuff making it look yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Does anyone know what kind of wild flowers theses are.
    https://twitter.com/BackroadAstro/st...78738298408961
    My botanic go-to guy says 'hard to tell, maybe meadowsweet.'

By stumbling into a youtube vid I finally discovered why my basil plants (grown or bought) always just die after a while... Gotta prune those guys way down, not pick leaves and "leave the plant intact". Don't let them flower. So simple... why didn't I think of researching proper basil care?

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Thanks slang that could be it, I will take another look tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    If I wanted this kind of weather, I'd move to Kalymnos. It's going to cost me a fortune in water and I don't think the Polyanthus likes it. The lawn is not looking great either after the mowing. Lots of wheat like stuff making it look yellow.
    My lawn doesn't look yellow, it positively is yellow. And parts of it are downright gone. We haven't had rain in 2 months and it's a sandy soil.

I've managed to keep up with weeding the driveway though, thanks to the weather. And my new wisteria went from 20cm to 3m in three months.

Generally everything is doing well. Most of the tomatoes have survived kind of knew all of them wouldn't but that would of meant 50-60 plants versus 30+, most of the peppers are doing well. Put in a second planting of beans and peas to stretch out the picking season probably have enough seed to do another planting. More spuds keep popping up and no potato bugs showing up yet. The second planting of squash and pumpkins are doing well. For some the marigolds are not doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    My lawn doesn't look yellow, it positively is yellow. And parts of it are downright gone. We haven't had rain in 2 months and it's a sandy soil.

I've managed to keep up with weeding the driveway though, thanks to the weather. And my new wisteria went from 20cm to 3m in three months.
    I spent an hour last night gently plucking weeds from the drive. A forest of little centimetre high growth across the board.

I'm not so sure about the crotonifolia in the garden. I think it's looking a little less perky than when I planted it. I found out from the Royal Horticultural Society, once I learnt the plant's name, that it prefers shaded or semishaded areas. That's great for out the front of my North facing house, but this one is smack in the middle of my South facing garden.

The heat is a bear here and it's just going to get worse in the coming daze hitting the upper 90'sF. Harvested the last of the beets, carrots, and snaps so the melon vines can spread out, the cantaloupes and watermelons are shaping up nicely with the recent rains. Glad the soil moisture is good now as it will be dry and hot next week with no more rain in sight. Picking tomatoes and corn now. Squash and cukes are coming in heavy. Need to dig up the potatoes but will have to do it early in the morning, a labor intensive job. Butter beans are running up their poles and starting to bloom. Blueberries are nearing an end, a very good year. The peaches are ripening but since I did not bother with spraying them they'll mostly rot before turning sweet and the squirrels are cleaning them up.. Glad I thinned out the pears as the last storm would have surely snapped off some limbs. Time to get out there now before the heat sets in......

The lavender is flowering now, as is the astor out front. And the coriander in the kitchen.

But the lawn is looking like it's going into retrenchment. And with news of hosepipe bans in Northern Ireland, I feel it only proper to cut down on my watering (tragedy of the commons and all that). Today I just gave the garden plants a dash of water from the water butt, which is now depleted of usable water. I'll give it a hosing tomorrow though. Once every two days rather than every day.

Really, if God had meant for this island to have this kind of weather, he wouldn't have populated it with the English.

The only thing I did today was to pick some lettuce.

Went out for a little and did some weeding in the garden, a little cooler today than yesterday. Not as many potato plants as I thought I was expecting but still no potato bugs. I am thinking they have genetic memory and since there were no potatoes last year forgot about the place. Should get the tiller going and till between the rows to get rid of the weeds and the rake some up onto the potatoes to prevent sunburn.

We dug up our Yukon Gold spuds and they are mediocre, not the best year. The Kennebecs have a ways to go as their foliage is surprisingly thriving in this heat. 20 minutes outside is the max but I push it to 30, picking ripe stuff has to be done, most other chores can wait.

Well I will have to pick some more lettuce tomorrow already finished the first batch off at supper.

Went out and picked some lettuce and decided to move some planters to get better sun, I think some of the potted plants didn't do so well because the containers had no drainage or bad drainage.

The geranium is still in its pot by the back window, but it's flowering. In fact, it flowered creepily fast.

I'm a bit nervous about planting it in the current conditions though.

Glom, are you in a heat wave?

Geraniums love heat.

We're in one now and last week I planted an entire hedge of them, (red), from cuttings from a single large geranium.

So if they can survive a heat wave without any roots whatsoever and take hold no problem, you'll probably do alright.

The interior valleys of California regularly get over 105F in the summer and geraniums thrive. Once established with a good root system they are also very drought tolerant.

Well then. I'll plant it on the weekend as planned.

Hope the flowers don't drop off like always happened whenever I plant something.

The blossoms won't drop off the geranium.

The cuttings I planted didn't lose the blossoms they had going, even after the leaves drooped.

(And with geranium *cuttings* you can tell when the new roots have started when the drooped leaves stand up again several days later.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    The blossoms won't drop off the geranium.

The cuttings I planted didn't lose the blossoms they had going, even after the leaves drooped.

(And with geranium *cuttings* you can tell when the new roots have started when the drooped leaves stand up again several days later.)
    How much of a cutting did you take?

Things are looking ropey here. The lawn is really struggling. I'm going to have to water more. I was trying to be conservation minded, but decaying grass won't do much for carbon sinking. Plus tragedy of the commons and all that. Until Wessex Water say a hosepipe ban is impending, I might as well go for it. Did seem like a bit of loss though. The shower setting on the hose was definitely less powerful than usual.

The Aucuba also clearly was wilting, so I removed it and put it out front. I bought a bay tree that can go in that slot. Apparently, they like the Sun.

Hey, what do you know, my hose gun from B&M is the same one Wessex Water have in their free water saving kit. So zi guess my conscience is clear.

Working away at weeding the garden today. Still have about 40 tomato plants, maybe just a few more potato plants but no potato bugs. A couple of interesting problem with the tomatoes is I don't know exactly how plants of each type I have because in the spring I ran out of labels.

I may be mistaken, but I think the aucuba is doing better out front. I think it's slightly perked up. The lavender is flowering. First, flower got raped by a bee though so it'll probably fall off soon.

I'm loving the cone function on my cheap hose gun. Produces great rainbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    How much of a cutting did you take?

The Aucuba also clearly was wilting, so I removed it and put it out front. I bought a bay tree that can go in that slot. Apparently, they like the Sun.
    The donor geranium was seriously overgrown so I made an approximately 30 foot hedge, with a two foot long cutting planted every 3 feet.

When it finally starts to look like something I'll post a picture!

That sounds a fair bit bigger than what I got at the B&Q.