Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: A general gardening thread

As I was much too late with starting my chilies this year, I'm happy with anything I get from them. Almost 2 pounds of peppers already, from 4 plants of the same type. And almost a hundred ripe ones from one plant that I cut back and managed to keep alive during winter. Year 2 does appear to be the top producing year... It's very difficult in our area to keep chili plants over winter. Has to be indoors, and often indoor plants turn out to be havens for insects. But considering how fast and how much this plant produces overwintering them is well worth the effort. Hoping for a long summer, so the other plants get to get some ripe ones too.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Finally gotten the weed eater to work, main can that thing vibrate. There is bit a hill in the lawn that is impossible to mow and the grass and stuff gets high and thick there,
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

This is the extent of my gardening effort.

But along my property line there are wild raspberries that I pick. And this year the saskatoons (aka serviceberries) were so dense that it took about 1.5 hours to pick 8 litres.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My garden.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	23506  

We finally had rain. But it's too late to get a pretty garden; it's all looking burned and in autumn state by now. The forest behind my garden unfortunately has died. I hope they don't put houses on it now that the trees are gone... I don't want to place a big fence at the back, and this soil makes it very hard to grow high plants to block the sight.

Well I planted most of the prepped rows with carrots, spinach, broccoli, & cabbages. This week I will complete the plantings with beets and more carrots. The next week will be collards, turnips, lettuce. Before Sept it will be time to dig up the sweet potatoes. Right now the tomatoes are almost done due to plant diseases brought on by too much rain. The watermelons and peppers are still going strong and the pears are very close to ripening. The last plot of corn is tasseling so ears should be ready in 7-10 days and the late cucumbers are blooming.

Despite nearly being uprooted by a hurricane years ago this pear tree still produces.
    https://twitter.com/BackroadAstro/st...43622789677057
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Aug-25 at 12:52 AM. Reason: change spelling, thinking about a joke

Probably doing some picking of green beans in the garden today and a few other light things. I wish the tomatoes.potatoes and squash did better this year.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    It's been great to not have to worry about the garden these last few weeks. The grass is green again and growing. Figment is nearly completely covered so clearly it is time for a mow.

Not sure about the heuchera though. Some leaves look a bit dried up. And the buxus is getting white leaves. I don't think the drainage is that good in that patch.

Buxus moth? It has killed next to all Buxus in this country.

Here the grass is still yelllow, even though we've had good rains now. I think part of it is simply dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Buxus moth? It has killed next to all Buxus in this country.

Here the grass is still yelllow, even though we've had good rains now. I think part of it is simply dead.
    Oh dear. Is there anything I can do? A whole ecosystem destroyed?

The fall crops are mostly in now, spinach, lettuces, carrots, cabbages, beets, broccoli, and radishes, it doesn't feel like fall. Had to shade some transplants from the intense sun, heat index ~103+F, ,.....gardening is not fun lately. I'll wait till Sept to finish off planting the collards and everyone's favorite, turnips, they are quick growers, probably should have held off on the radishes and lettuce too. The pears are still hanging on the 2 trees and looking good, the earlier rains plumped them up nicely and harvest isn't too far off now. The only summer crops still bearing are a few watermelons, tomatoes, peppers, and the butter beans are blooming again. We dug up the early sweet potatoes, they did well this year, the later set of SPs will be dug up near first frost, mid/late Oct? Placing my order in for autumn like temps, now please.

Must be heat stroke, forgot to add we picked the 4th and last little batch of corn today, ears this time of the season are smaller, about 30% smaller than July 4th ears., but still 100% sweet.
    Last edited by Spacedude; 2018-Aug-29 at 09:20 PM.

Most of the vegetable garden didn't do well this year, I should till it under soon and hopefully the cold weather over winter will kill some of the grass. But frost doesn't hit hear until after the equinox and sometimes not until after thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Oh dear. Is there anything I can do? A whole ecosystem destroyed?
    There is a herbicide against the buxus moth which is quite discriminate or how do you say that (I mean, Agent Orange likely would also work, "but..."). You have to reapply it every +/- 6 weeks though. As we speak, my only buxus once again is infested. And I'm running out of herbicide. Most people in this country have given up on buxus since 2 years, and quite literally everyone had them in their garden.

Today I got my first ripe tomato after setting the plants out in early May. They were set back several weeks when a varmint ate the tops off the plants in the middle of July. I am guessing that it was a deer, since I saw one in the neighborhood not long before. I got some deer and rabbit repellant and sprayed them as instructed, and nothing has bothered them since. A genuine vine-ripened tomato puts the store-bought gassed green tomatoes to shame.

Since that's what I had I gave it a good spraying with the Bayer, but I've read that won't be enough so whatevs.

Good news is that the Heuchera is maybe showing potential. It's given up on a number of its leaves, but there's still life closer in. Maybe it's decided to contract as summer ends.

My path also had loads of grass growths. Why will grass grow up through the green slate but not on the actual lawn. I pulled out a bunch and then replanted them in a bald spot to see if that will work.

Just noticed the eggplant has flowered. Next year I have find a better way of water the garden to when ever I feel wit the watering can if we have same kind of weather.

Here is a picture taken from the garden I was child, my grandfather, sister and one of my friends, I am taking the picture.
    https://twitter.com/BackroadAstro/st...85263731339264

Still way too hot here for the fall garden, I'm wilting along with it. Could use some rain now and some overcast skies to suppress the solar heat a bit. Keeping an eye on Florance, if she skirts south of Bermuda then things could get a bit dicey here. I want some rain but not that badly.

Just checked the weather network and it looks like 3 days of rain.

Well the Autumn garden is faring quite well now despite the earlier persistent heat. Moisture levels are good, temps now bouncing from 60-80F daily and a long dry spell is predicted (7 days for us). Perfect weather is ahead for the state fair which starts today.
    As for the garden plants - the broccoli are showing tiny heads, so 3-4 weeks to enlarge for harvest. Cabbages starting to close up now too so they may be ready in a month or so and should keep in the garden until first freeze.. Had to hand pick off a lot of "loopers" from these plants past weeks.

The carrots, spinach, collards, lettuce, radishes, and turnips are about 3 inches high, 5" for the beets. The late sweet potato vines are healthy and those can wait to be dug up until first frost, maybe in 4-5 weeks? One late tomato plant (a volunteer) has a couple of tomatoes turning now, all the early tomato plants are shot, too much rain and moisture lead to various blight diseases for their early demise. Still getting peppers, eggplant gone, corn over, and the late cukes didn't do much before diseases hit them too.

As for the remaining fruits, the persimmons now have a hint of orange and should put on a good show come Halloween. The pears are plentiful from 3 trees and my experiment with the Sulpomag did no harm and most likely did some good as expected. My old taste buds couldn't distinguish the difference in sweetness between the treated and untreated pear trees but the bees sure seemed to prefer the treated tree so they may have more discriminating tastes ;-). So far we have canned 24 pints of pear sauce, it is yummy.
    The old zinnias and cosmos flowers have reseeded and a 2nd generation is starting to bloom adding some new autumn color to the gardens.
    Hard to believe Oct knocks at the door. May winter hold off until it's official starting date.
    Last edited by Spacedude; 2018-Sep-28 at 09:47 PM.

Well the garden right now is just some pots that have a couple of eggplants, a couple peppers and some herbs and covered over tonight because it suppose to go down to zero. There are some carrots in the ground as well.

Wow, it's mid Oct already, at least the grass is slowing down, one more mow should do it.
    The fall veggie garden is doing well despite 2 tropic storm whiplashes. Picked and froze the first 6 heads of broccoli today, 9 side dishes for two. 13 more heads shaping up, as well as the cabbages. The pears were the stand out this year, got about 60 of them in the spare fridge that should last thru the New Years. Spacedudette canned 24 pints of pear sauce for the coming year and for gifts. This was the only time in 14 years years where these 2 trees produced more than half a dozen to pick. Our neighbors were throwing them back at us after a while ;-)

All the fall veggies are doing well and I'm not naming them anymore (wanna bet?...well, not this time, dinner's close at hand). No frost in the long range but a 38F by Friday morning will put a chill on things. The persimmons are near ripening now and some tree leaves are turning color just a bit. It was a nice 60's/cloudy day today so removed the defunct tomato plants without working up a sweat. There's Good color in the garden now where the late purple cosmos flowers are in bloom and the early orange cosmos has re-seeded and are now blooming, same with the zinnas too. Feels a bit melancholy outside now, but love the conditions! Hammock Time...

We've gotten a lot of rain this year. Keep having to throw half our tomatoes away because they split from within.

It's still a lot of tomatoes though.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright