Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1049

Thread: A general gardening thread

Siiiiiigh...I didn't properly mix the soil improver, so now there's a good chance it will burn the roots. Toworrow morning I'll try to further mix the soil -with the plants already in it- with my hands (luckily I didn't compact it with all my weight, just some hand pushing) without taking out the plants. I don't have time to take them out anyway, and they're already tied to the support. Let's hope I can mix things a bit with my hands and keep the depth of the plants OK that way.

It will be cold tomorrow morning, not ideal weather for "bare hands wrist deep in soil" action. But it'll only get worse after tomorrow.

Since snow was predicted for today (yep, it's here) I went ahead and picked the remaining broccoli, cabbage, and turnips. The carrots and collards will be ok under a blanket of snow. We picked the last of the persimmons last week, a big harvest for making preserves today. Time to take veggie seed inventory and place some mail orders. A good day for hot chili for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    Since snow was predicted for today (yep, it's here) ...
    Just an aside ... Apparently that snowfall was so unusual it was newsworthy enough for a local station here to cover it.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Yep it's here! We went from a prediction of 1-3 inches to 13 inches in 24 hours....at least they got the numbers 1 and 3 correct. Glad I picked veggies when I did. Dread having to go out and shovel this lard today, but at least the freezing rain did not materialize and we did not lose power like so many others out there. A lot of new snowfall records set for sure...and it's not officially winter for another ~10 daze.

Glade to hear it no power outage. Here cold and clear and probably be like that for a while.
    ETA: Most out activities have done for a while. Even tipping if I was going to do it would have been over a couple of weeks ago because the season generally ends about the time of American thanks giving. One thing winter is ideal for is getting rid of brush plenty of frozen water around to deter it getting out of hand.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Dec-10 at 03:16 PM.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

What? Gardening in Dec!? Yep, but essentially dormant. That foot of lardy snow from last week has now melted away but it put the breaks on growing. Glad I picked everything before it hit. Only things pickable right now are the carrots, collards, spinach, and a few turnips. All of them got a bit smashed down under the snow but are recovering slowly.

I posted this pic on the weather thread, but what the heck....he's just snowball size as of today.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181215_152235.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	735.6 KB 
ID:	23858

Soon it will be time to start the next years plants, a few weeks off yet.

The reason I won't be using the indoor greenhouse to start the seeds for a while.
    https://twitter.com/NBAstroFarm/stat...04338872750081

Nothing new the only I did for the garden recently was to get a flower pot at the auction.

Still have carrots in the ground and the collards are still kicking. Spinach mostly dormant now waiting for Spring. The old turnips are probably too strong and frostbit to eat but the hens will like em'. Pansies are blooming as they don't mind sub freezing nights (one tough flower), waiting for our new fall planted daffodil collection to break ground during the next warm spell. That may be a while yet as snow is knocking on our door.

Sometimes it would be nice to have stuff going all year round then I like the break from it during the winter.

Yes, Being a gardeneraholic makes winter a mandatory and welcome break for at least 90 days. If I lived in Fla or CA I'd overdose.

Half inch of rain over nite, moderately heavy at times, just enough to wash away the sandy appearance of the new brick walkway, it's definitely red now. The worst Big Chill of the season hits tonite and tomorrow nite with mid teens-F predicted lows for both and a 28F as the high in-between. Temps being this low I went ahead and picked all of the mature carrots, best not to allow their tops to freeze, got about 7 lbs to last until spring planting. Even collards are looking like this would be their knockout punch so grabbed a good bag of those too. This should officially end the fall gardening season, next stop (or start) spring cultivating/planting around early March.....but, almost forgot, fruit tree pruning is knocking on the door....

Just had a thought I could try to make maple syrup this year, but I need to rig something up to drill the holes.

Gardening season is arriving a bit early this time around since we had a warm spell lately. The overwintered spinach is waking up so I went ahead and weeded the rows and applied compost and some organic fert as a side dressing to the plants. We may start picking spinach in 2-3 weeks if the mild temps continue with just brief cold spells. Also pruning the assorted fruit trees now.

The daffodils I planted last fall are up a couple of inches now so added some compost to the bed. The hens have been on an egg strike for a few months but they've have started to lay again. Wild onions dot the lawn with a few dandelions. Spring is Coming...

Gardening season is heating up (actually it's still too cold). Finished pruning the fruit trees and the plums are starting to bloom, the pear buds are swelling rapidly and they may get hurt this week as temps take another nose dive at night to 20F. Daffodils are blooming now and the spinach is now pickable size, some overwintered collards are also pickable.

I bought some cabbage transplants at the nursery yesterday, but only because they are the purple variety which Spacedudette prefers over green and they're usually out when I try to find them. Have to keep them indoors until next weekend when temps will moderate outside. More rain expected tonite making the soil to muddy to prep for pea planting, maybe plant them next weekend if long range forecast looks favorable. We Spring Forward next weekend, hopefully with an emphasis on "Spring"

It has either been too cold or stormy to much outdoors lately. Todays major chore is just bringing in some wood for the wood shed. One loss already this year a big ceramic pot has cracked in two, didn't remove the soil before the freeze started.

Still on the cold side here but the ground has dried out enough to plant the peas, broccoli, and cabbages over the past 2 days. The cold temps have kept the fruit tree buds mostly in check which is good. A brief upper 60's expected tomorrow but then a return to below ave temps. No low of 20's in the forecast, just 30's and more showers.

Man it's starting to Really Feel like Spring now!, esp with the later sunset this week thanks to modern clockwork. Today I planted the lettuce seed, 4 types, and radishes. That pretty much wraps up the early springish veggie planting. Picking both spinach & collards although the collars are on borrowed time after overwintering, it's showing signs of budding to bloom in a few weeks. I let them bloom to attract beneficial insects. Dug out the new seeding starter trays and cell packs, will start tomatoes in 10 days and melons in about a month.

The first plum tree to bloom (1 of 3) was loaded down today with both blooms and honey bees as the temp reached 60F. Sunny skies and it felt warm enough for the honey bees were humming, surprisingly loaded with honey bees and a delight to hear and see. They were very busy pollinating away, plums have the sweetest and almost sickening fragrance of all our fruit trees when in full and the bees love it. A pic below...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190312_164752 (1).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	24076

Only can find some cucumber seed, the local nursery is still closed. There are other stores but I think they keep a lot of seed from previous years. Just itching to get something started. Here is what it looks like outside ate the moment.
    https://twitter.com/OrionsHead/statu...02688923443201

Went out to prune some cherry trees, not much can be done this time of year.

https://twitter.com/OrionsHead/statu...64815771758594

Still chilly here so I took advantage of the cool temps to prep some planting beds with tilling, ferting, and composting. In about 4-5 weeks those plots will be ready for the cukes, snaps, squash, carrots, beets, and the early corn...well, mostly on the corn plot as it started to rain so cut the day short.

The peas, radishes, and lettuces planted 10 days ago are popping up and a warming trend is on the way with one last 30F tonite, then it's 40's/60's ahead which is excellent for the early young plants. So far the transplanted cabbages, brocs, and Bruss Sprouts are doing good, they love the cool temps too. The spinach and collards that survived winter are delicious now, collards will bolt soon and flower, the spinach planted in the fall should produce until June if it doesn't get too hot too fast.

Pear trees are starting to bloom now and the plums are peaking, hopefully some fruits set. The cherries are at bud swell while the apples, persimmon, pomegranate, and figs are still sleep. Peaches are waking up with spotty blooms. Blueberries are close to blooming, hoping for no late freeze.
    No strawberries nor asparagus this year, both were long lived plots that were past their prime, and so are we for bending over and picking em'.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
    I love horseradish, it goes ever so well with roast beef. I have been trying to find some wild horseradish in the hedgerows to make my own sauce.

I don't understand why you don't use it as it is hot.
    My mother just doesn't like and since she is the primary cook it doesn't get used, I am never going to get rid of it all.

They brought in another guy to work the auction so we ended really early so I had time to get some seeds.
    https://twitter.com/OrionsHead/statu...67851319140352

I live on sandy soil. Lots of sun, doesn't hold water, too acidic, so quite terrible for grass. Attempt #3 for a lawn: I'm going to spread 12m≥ of compost over the soil and mix it in the top 30cm. Then I'll use special grass seed mixture for grass with long roots. Add some calcium to get the PH up, and wait & see. I do not really want to water the lawn. Costly, not really environmentally friendly, and on this kind of soil it would require huge amounts.

Our "lawn" is a combo of a dozen weed/grasses/clovers and when mowed it looks pretty good, never watered, never fertilized. I save the hard work for the garden.
    Speaking of which it's doing well. The early crops (broc, cabbages, Brus sprouts, peas, spinach, lettuces, and radishes are flourishing. The unexpected dip into the upper 20's a few times didn't hurt the plants and it appears the fruit trees blooms survived ok too. The old collards are bolting now and starting to bloom. Started the tomato seeds indoors 4 days ago to plant out by mid May. Moisture levels are high but not too high as the rains have been spaced out for a change. Temps in the 70's for the next 3 days.

Went outside for a quick walk around and i think the thyme and strawberry plant survived the winter, only thyme will tell.

Things are really rocking in the gardens now. The early crops of lettuces, radishes, cabbages, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, peas, and spinach are doing great. The broccoli heads are forming a bit too soon and will be smaller than normal but they usually do best when planted in the fall. Tiny plums and pears are forming after blossom drop, while the peaches, apples, and cherries are at peak bloom now. Since winter temps weren't too brutal this year we will be getting figs for a change, it's been 3 hard years on the figs but last years new growth made it through ok this time.

The last few days have been busy with planting the carrots, beets, snap beans, and early corn. I planted a couple of fully developed young tomato plants from the nursery, these are just for getting the first tomato by late June. The other tomatoes, melons, and cukes started indoors are coming along nicely. Next out will be squash seed and sweet potato slips, the soil should be warm enough now and long range looks good. Blueberries are in bloom now and the pomegranate bush is showing life.

We cut back this year, no butter beans, potatoes, strawberries, nor asparagus (the latter 2 beds were too old to maintain).
    So far it's been an almost perfect spring here, normal rain, mild temps. The tree pollen is very heavy now, esp the pines, but expected rains over nite should help.
    Last edited by Spacedude; 2019-Apr-14 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Forgot the Peas...give peas a chance ;-)

This is General Gardening reporting. The grass seeds which I have dispersed over the designated area "Garden" on april 1st were in standby until 1 week ago as it didn't rain a drop. After some rain and water supply mission during the past week, we are happy to report the very first green hairs are starting to pop up. Expect designated area "Garden" to turn from brown into green in the coming week. End report.