Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A Generation Ship - How big would it be?

A Generation Ship - How big would it be?

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum. Just so you know, Issac hasn't posted on Cosmoquest for more than two years so there is a fair chance that he may not see your question in this thread that was started more than eight years ago.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2018-Nov-05 at 10:41 AM.

About 100 is the minimal number
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.03856

Quote Originally Posted by PraedSt View Post
    I phrased my question wrong. Where did you think I suggested to "keep them ignorant"? I suggested hard discipline. I fail to see the connection.
    Most of the anti-authoritarian revolutions of the 19th Century involved a) groups subject to “hard discipline” and b) educated groups without power.

Or one can look at something like the Spithead Mutinies, peasant revolts, and urban riots caused by harsh policing.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

A genship size and crew mix depends on the length of the journey and the speed it goes. It will need to be as close to a fully self-supporting, closed system as physically possible, ecologically and industrially. That would require enormous mass.

One factor that will not be an issue, is that there will be no "return trip" for a crew born en route, strangers to Earth. Likewise, it is not going to be a pure-science mission; they are going to live wherever the destination is, for better or worse. At the very worst, they will just stay on the ship and mine the destination system for resources.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Matt456 View Post
    hi Isaac I like the idea of dense living also but when you say you could have a population similar to earths living in a 20km diameter what size population do you mean
    You might try to contact him through Skype or the other contact references shown in his posts, but let's see what you could do with a 20 km diameter sphere: That's a 10,000 meter radius sphere, so solving for volume, or about 4.19 trillion cubic meters. Divide by 7.5 billion people, and if I did all my math right, that's about 559 cubic meters per person. That sounds a bit tight to me per person when you figure in things like food, water and air recycling, structure, dealing with waste heat and various other issues (I assume power would be supplied from the outside), but technically you could apparently fit the world's population into something of that volume.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    about 559 cubic meters per person. That sounds a bit tight to me per person when you figure in things like food, water and air recycling, structure, dealing with waste heat and various other issues (I assume power would be supplied from the outside), but technically you could apparently fit the world's population into something of that volume.
    So, a single cubicle with all the resources for a single person for an indefinite period would be about 8.25m on a side.
    Yeah. That seems pretty small.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    So, a single cubicle with all the resources for a single person for an indefinite period would be about 8.25m on a side.
    Yeah. That seems pretty small.
    Downright cozy. It makes me think of Robert Silverberg's The World Inside. (People live in giant towers on Earth, with essentially no privacy) Off hand, I'd think a population of 7.5 million might make more sense - depends on how much volume is needed for food/air/etc. production and recycling, maintenance. Then too, sections could be spun for artificial gravity - without a bit of genetic engineering, I doubt regular humans will do well in permanent microgee environment. Spin gravity sections would also reduce usable volume.

Though most of the recycling and food production spaces may be kept separate from where the human population would be, and there might be ways to make, for instance, volumes for plants very space efficient.

Still and all, it's interesting to see what you get when running the numbers.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Kids raised on a genship will never want to stand on a planet, with open space all around and a floor that curves the wrong way.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright