Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kamchatkan Volcanoes

According to Vulcanologist John Seach, the ash plume from 23rd eruption of Mt. Klyuchevskoy reached a height of over 30,000 feet and extended out-wards for over 300km.

This qualifies the eruption as a VEI 5 category (Plinian), basically something equivalent to the St. Helen's eruption of the 80's. So evidently this may be more of a significant eruption then it first appears.

Another explosive eruption at Mt. Klyuchevskoy just little while ago.

According to information received so far, the plume is already over 32,000ft (>10km) height, has pierced above the clouds, and being blow to the east (out into the pacific).

Roads from Mt. Klyuchevskoy to the town of Klyuchi have been closed, due to 0 visibility. Reports from Klyuchi indicate the town is in perpetual darkness, but no evacuations are reported as of yet.

Possible VEI 6 eruption underway. Will be able to gage it better as more information comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by dgavin View Post
    Another explosive eruption at Mt. Klyuchevskoy just little while ago.

According to information received so far, the plume is already over 32,000ft (>10km) height, has pierced above the clouds, and being blow to the east (out into the pacific).

Roads from Mt. Klyuchevskoy to the town of Klyuchi have been closed, due to 0 visibility. Reports from Klyuchi indicate the town is in perpetual darkness, but no evacuations are reported as of yet.

Possible VEI 6 eruption underway. Will be able to gage it better as more information comes in.
    Woah, major misread on my alerts.

This potential VEI 6 is not Mt. Klyuchevskoy but Mt. Sheveluch!

There are now two concurrent erruptions underway in the Kamchatkan region, Both around VEI 5 catagory, possibly this one rating a VEI 6.

*edit to add*

The web cam in town of Klyuchi is now completely black. Even street lights are not showing.

There are now two concurrent erruptions underway in the Kamchatkan region, Both around VEI 5 catagory, possibly this one rating a VEI 6.

*edit to add*

The web cam in town of Klyuchi is now completely black. Even street lights are not showing.
    Ok, here is a paper that I have not read, but on page three is a map of the volcanos.

Tomographic Images of Klyuchevskoy Volcano P‑Wave Velocity; Lees et al; 2007

Apparently Mt. Shiveluch has a tendency to go BOOM!

CATASTROPHIC ERUPTIONS OF THE DIRECTED-BLAST TYPE
    AT MOUNT ST. HELENS,
    BEZYMIANNY AND SHIVELUCH VOLCANOES

G. E. BOGOYAVLENSKAYA, et al. 1985
    Last edited by jlhredshift; 2010-Oct-28 at 01:09 AM. Reason: sp

*edit to add*

wow how big if both were added together?Volcanos seem to be all the rage lately.Are we possibly in for a cold winter? last winter was very cold in the uk.May be a bet on a white christmas is in order?

Quote Originally Posted by Boratssister View Post
    wow how big if both were added together?Volcanos seem to be all the rage lately.Are we possibly in for a cold winter? last winter was very cold in the uk.May be a bet on a white christmas is in order?
    Mind you, the following is more in the nature of specualtion then facts. Climate changes due to Volcanic ash are not a well understood science.

The VEI catagories are similar to the Ricter Scale, in that they are a logirithmic scale.

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/News/MSH20...nformation.pdf
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_Explosivity_Index

VEI 5 eruptions might slightly alter climate in a hemiphere for about a week.
    VEI 6 might have about a 1-3 month effect on climate.
    VEI 7 from 3 months to 2 years.
    VEI 8 2 or more years possible effects.

If (and thats still and if) Mt. Sheveluch pans out to a VEI 6 the two effects on the climate might be more atmopsheric condensation (more clouds due to water nuecleating on the ash) and a slight drop of temps from the ash and clouds blocking sunlight (by slight something in the order of maybe a 1/4 of a degreee C lower then normal.

Probably what we'll see from this (again if it's a VEI 6) is more of a cloudier, damper winter, then a cooler one. The effects would probably ony last a month or so, once the ash is rained out, things return to normal. Also the effects would be more pronounced closer to the volcano's then further away. Likely meaning that the western parts of North America contient will see a much damper then normal winter, and as ash moves east, less and less of an impact.

However until the actual size of the eruption can be determined, this again is nothing but specualtion on possible impacts of a VEI 6

Troubles coming in three? Hard to say, I managed to find some more facts. Source article is here but its from an Associated Press source, so don't bank on these as solid facts. The Article does have a pic of the eruption column at Mt. Shiveluch however, so i recommend following to link to view that at least.

Summary of Article:

According to Associated Press, the Kamchatka ESM (Their version of FEMA) issued an alert today about the potential for an eruption at Mt. Gorely

Mt. Shiveluch eruption may be winding down already, max ash cloud heights were around 33,000feet. So sounds like solid VEI 4 eruption at this point, possibly a VEI 5

Mt. Klyuchevskaya eruption is on going and showing no signs of slowing down soon. The ongoing eruption here is about a VEI 2 levels, however it had another explosive episode about 3 hours after Shiveluch erupted yesterday, ash clouds also reaching 33,000feet. So another VEI 4/5 eruption.

No Flight restrictions have been issued by FAA or Tokyo Narita as of yet.

New KVERTreport out today.

Not much has changed from yesterday, the two eruptions are still ongoing. Ash clouds from both are extending out to the east about 1500miles, (2500km). They are definately looking more and more like VEI 4/5 eruptions. No reports of Lahar's or Pyroclastic flows from either one yet.

Mt. Klyuchevskaya has two effusive lava flows down the the west and south west flanks.

Mt. Shiveluch is still completely obscured from visual observations, so it's unknow at this point if had a directed blast eruption or not. Likely it didn't, but determination of that will need to wait for visual observations.

Mt. Gorley still seems to be unchanged (contrary to the AP article) other then the steam/gas emission increses that were noted before.

Status on both Mt. Klyuchevskaya and Mt. Shiveluch have been droped to Orange/watch. From the Kvert report sounds like that they are saying Mt. Shiveluch 's activity might be done, other then some minor ash eruptions. Mt. Klyuchevskaya's eruption is slowing down, but still has some effusive laval flows.

Mt. Klyuchevskaya ash plume height only 18,000 feet now (5.5 km). Lava flows on flanks appear to be slowing down.

Mt. Shiveluch no ash plume since late yesterday, still has an elevated level of siesmic activity however.

Kvert Report out today.

Mt. Klyuchevskaya, eruption may be done and sciesmic activity has sharply decreased since the 4th, but there is possibility for further activity still.

Mt. Sheveluch eruption continues, with ash clouds reacing 19,000 ft (5.8km) height. The initial eruption on Oct 27th, blew out about half of the existing lava dome (link goes to images at KVERT web site). It caused a Pyroclastic flow that extened out to 15km, and wiped out a small forested area.

With this new data, that pins this Mt. Sheveluch eruption down to a VEI 5, just barely. It was rougly speaking, about 1/3 the strength of the St. Helens eruption.

Announcement from KVert today:

Mt. Klyuchevskaya effusive/explosive eruption(s) are done (for now). Lava fountains and flows stopped on the 4th. Seismic activity has continued to decrease. There is still some fumeral activity but thats been about it.

Updates:

Mt. Klyuchevskaya - Status downgraded to Yellow, Fumerals continue, but for the most part it appears to be going back to rest.

Mt. Sheveluch - Eruption continues, Minor Steam and Ash venting for the most part, with heavy seismic and a large thermal variant.

Mt. Kizimen - New activity, Steam and ash eruption reaching 13,000 feet reported by Tumrok Vistors Center.

Mt. Gorely - Eruption still possible here at some point in the future, but still nothing but steam and gas eruptions, no ash.

Updates:

Mt. Klyuchevskaya - Fumerals continue, with one minor ash emission.

Mt. Sheveluch - Eruption may be subsiding, the Lava Dome that was partially destroyed has begun to rebuild itself. Seismic activity has fallen to moderate levels.

Mt. Gorely - No Change

Alerts:

Mt. Kizimen - Rapid increase in activity with new fumerals and steam venting. Status upgraded to condition Orange today. An explosive eruption is very likely.

Updates:

Mt. Klyuchevskaya - Fumerals continue.

Mt. Sheveluch - Activity has decresed to moderate levels.

Mt. Gorely - No Change

By the by, for those who love Russian volcanoes, Fraser posted about a very neat picture taken from the ISS on his UT blog
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Hey, Swift, since you're here, would you get the thread title? I find the information fascinating, but the pluralization error makes me twitch.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Hey, Swift, since you're here, would you get the thread title? I find the information fascinating, but the pluralization error makes me twitch.
    We wouldn't want twitches.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Thank you kindly!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    By the by, for those who love Russian volcanoes, Fraser posted about a very neat picture taken from the ISS on his UT blog
    Kronotsky is beautiful.

ETA: in looking at that photo, I'm intrigued by the two rivers on either side of the volcano. Look how they seem to join right at the shoreline. It's almost as if they don't break through to the sea at all. I tried looking closer using Google Earth, but the view there was taken when the area was ice-bound.

Alert:

Mt. Kizimen erupted explosively yesterday, sending an ash cloud to 10km height (VEI 4). Condition was Red until today, when it was downgraded back to orange. Not much more information is available other then KVERT is saying there is still the possibility of a catastrophic eruption. Considering the issues in translating languages, It's unknown what the context of catastrophic is that they mean.

Updates:

Mt. Kizimen - Activity slowed down soon after the eruption, there is still a danger of additional eruptions here. Reports coming in about pyroclastic flows and lahar's from the eruption on the 13th.

Mt. Klyuchevskaya - Fumerals continue, downgraded to condition Yellow.

Mt. Sheveluch - Some ash and steam eruptions, the lava dome continues to rebuild itself.

Mt. Gorely - Steam venting is still increasing, other then that not much new to report.

Quote Originally Posted by Boratssister View Post
    Mr dgavin I did not have my bet -doh I could have had 6-1 . I hope your happy, truly I hope your happy because I enjoy your posts.regards

Alert:

Mt. Kizimen - Upgraded to Condition Red, an eruption similar to Dec 10th's, is expected today or tomorrow.

Alert:

Mt. Kizimen - Status changed to Orange, a minor explosive eruption is underway. Seismic activity is a high level, as are volcanic tremors. Ash could heights expected to reach 10km (32,800 ft) over the next few days. Seismic and Thermal readings indicate possible lava flows on the surface.

Updates:

Mt. Klyuchevskaya - Fumerals continue, with some strong gas/steam emissions. Seismic activity has fallen to background levels, but there are still weak volcanic tremors being detected.

Mt. Sheveluch - Some ash and steam eruptions last week, the lava dome continues to rebuild itself. Status remains at condition Orange.

Mt. Gorely - Ongoing Steam/gas venting continues, other then that not much new to report.

Alert:

Mt. Kizimen - Status upgraded back to condition Red as of yesterday. The (formerly minor) explosive eruption has intesified and ash clouds have been seen on satellite extending over 200km to the SE. No esitmate on ash cloud heights yet. Thermal imaging indicates the posibility of lava flows/fountains on the existing lava dome.

Repost due to DB Errors

Mt. Kizimen - Status upgraded back to condition Red as of yesterday. The (formerly minor) explosive eruption has intesified and ash clouds have been seen on satellite extending over 200km to the SE. No esitmate on ash cloud heights yet. Thermal imaging indicates the posibility of lava flows/fountains on the existing lava dome.

Alert:

Updates:

Mt. Kizimen - Still Condition Red, eruptive activity at VEI 3 levels since new years eve.

Mt. Klyuchevskaya - Fumerals continue, with some new thermal anomolies being picked up.

Mt. Sheveluch - Some ash and steam eruptions last week, the lava dome continues to rebuild itself. Status remains at condition Orange.

Mt. Gorely - Ongoing Steam/gas venting continues, seismic and thermal activity still at high levels.