Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your favorite hypothetical Obsolescence by 2050

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Lemay View Post
    Yea, I heard somewhere that Starcraft 2 can't even be played without an internet connection. Not just the Battlenet multiplayer stuff but also the campaigns and single-player missions. All I could say was WTF? I enjoy playing without the incessant whine of extremist players (the super incompetent noobs at one end, and the religious gaming zealots at the other).
    I think that only applies to multi-player but I’ve been wrong before. The only way I play Warcraft III/Starcraft is on a Lan with no internet access so I didn’t even bother with Starcraft 2.

The CD for both Civ 5 and New Vegas both just launch Steam to install the game for you. I think FO3: New Vegas will launch without first logging into Steam but AFAIK Civ 5 won’t. (or maybe that’s the other way around)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Tulip View Post
    fossil fuels
    I would agree that the internal combustion engine will probably be relegated to large load vehicles such as semis and construction equipment, but I think hydrocarbon mining will continue unless bioplastics can become economical without endangering our food supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanus View Post
    Media storage discs will be replaced by streams and downloads, undoubtedly much sooner than 2050.
    I think not, but I do think local storage will be flash-memory or something else equally compact, quiet, and low-energy, so that would still mean "disks" are gone.

Cathode ray tubes are already on their last legs.
    As TVs or computer monitors, yes, but maybe not for projectors, and certainly not for X-rays (which includes not just classic flat X-ray diagnostic pictures but also CT scanners, real-time fluoroscopy, radiation therapy, just to name the medical uses and ignore the industrial/scientific ones).

The commercial airplane design current for decades will be slowly phased out in favor of more fuel-efficient ones.
    Why/how? It seems to be what the laws of aerodynamics call for, given what the planes' job is. Do you expect future planes to have different performance requirements that would make a different shape physically appropriate, like significantly higher altitude or speed?

Boeing's latest passenger/cargo plane (787) is significantly more efficient than its nearest counterpart with a previous generation of technology (767), but that's mainly due to lighter weight, due to lighter materials. The overall design has had little change.

--Indoor malls are already on the way out; larger outdoor complexes are more cost-efficient.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Barabino View Post
    My prediction: mandatory automatic driving in the big cities
    Ditto.

I had thought of the idea of switching from using wide, flat-surfaced roads to using a small version of monorails I called "unirails", but some of the main advantages the idea would have had were related to automated driving; having vehicles on unirails instead of roads would have enabled control by something as simple and cheap as the little sensors & chips that can be found in LEGO robotic sets now. News of progress in automated driving on the roads as we now know them made me give up on the idea because making it simple is unnecessary if you have equipment that can handle the complexity anyway. The unirails would still have had a few advantages over roads anyway, but with the big ones taken away, it's not enough that anybody anywhere will ever agree to take on the hassle of conversion.

And a bit of irony here is that the job of driving will actually get simpler and easier for the onboard computers to do once they're the only ones doing it, because other vehicles' behavior will be more predictable, with human drivers introducing irregularity. So the minimum system performance to get it all started and have it take over will be higher than the minimum performance to keep it running thereafter.

I predict a lot more HUDs on a lot more vehicles' windows and in eyepieces that can connect to a variety of electronic devices, but I don't expect them to completely replace the alternatives as they're shown to have done in some science fiction shows/movies.

Cursive Handwriting, if not already obsolescent, will surely be gone by 2050.

Quote Originally Posted by otakenji View Post
    Or illegible.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Why/how? It seems to be what the laws of aerodynamics call for, given what the planes' job is. Do you expect future planes to have different performance requirements that would make a different shape physically appropriate, like significantly higher altitude or speed?
    I think he's referring to the blended wind body design. He's suggesting that by 2050 these will have replaced the "normal" airliners.

Artificial gravity and week-long interplanetary travel through linear acceleration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artific...r_acceleration

Thank goodness! I was never much good at it anyway...
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

They've already stopped teaching it in grade schools here in Indy. Those who wish to read older handwritten documents will need a translator...
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I predict today's personal/home computers to die out without descendants by then. People will still have something at home with a similar interface (keyboard, mouse, big flat screen) which stores digital data and can have a variety of programs loaded on it, but it will be a docked portable device, descended not from today's computers but from today's cellphones. They can already do most of what most PC users do with their PCs anyway. In addition to internet access (which includes audio & video), sending & receiving text & pictures & videos, games, personal organizers/calendars & notepads, and travel-assistant programs for things like maps and directions and finding local businesses like a traditional phone book... some also have some picture/video editing; those running Windows Mobile include Mobile versions of the MS Office programs; Droids can now be put in a dock with an HDMI output to run a full-size computer monitor; and Samsung Galaxy tablets can be used on a dock in the form of a full-size keyboard. Combine those features, and throw in some more developments in the photo & video editing apps (at least when connected to a larger monitor and a separate full-size keyboard & mouse), and they're literally doing everything that people do on the PCs we have at home, except for heavy-duty 3-D games, which can be (and already often are) run on dedicated game machines instead (or just not at all, by some users like me).

That's all with significantly weaker hardware than PCs have, so what's the extra power in PCs for and why do they perpetually seem to need more (or at least keep being made with more but then not really doing more/better with it)? The other bit of work load that PCs have to bear is simply keeping up with and muddling through a bunch of bloated resource-hogging nonsense in the software, including the operating systems. Part of what's driven hardware to have so much more power than people really use has just been the arms-race-like struggle to stay ahead of software bloat, so the software engineers wouldn't manage to bog everything down to the point of not working at all anymore. This hasn't happened in mobile devices because the people who write software for them know that it has to be efficient in order to get anything done on mobile hardware (which is limited by not being able to come with the cooling systems of a PC). So, now that even mobile hardware has gotten just about far enough to perform the functions people want (even if not that plus the bloat), there's not going to be much more reason left to bother with buying a bloated machine just to run bloated programs and operating systems. The portable, cheaper machines with the more streamlined software that does the user just as much good will take over, making the bloat-boxes obsolete.

People who think that there is no life out in the universe.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Drivers: screw drivers, car drivers, and d rivers.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    They've already stopped teaching it in grade schools here in Indy. Those who wish to read older handwritten documents will need a translator...
    Dredging up the old thread, but I teach high school aged students cursive. I also teach multiplication. My son, who was caught up in the whole common core* release shenanigans, also was not taught multiplication. Thankfully, that is a dead subject.

*This was the lead up to common core being released, not the actual materials and standards once they were released. The theory was if they didn't focus on mechanics, like multiplication and gave the kids calculators, they could focus on theory. I am slightly relieved to see that it wasn't only my district that dropped the ball. It went on for 2 years, so getting around the blip isn't too horrible.
    Solfe

Sex.

Never had much of drive that way, always seems more important to other people then me.

Coal.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I may not be around, but I won't be obsolete if I am.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Sex.
    You got a better way to make people, most other animals and plants?
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Never had much of drive that way, always seems more important to other people then me.
    “Obsolescence of sex” would be the wrong phrasing, but as adoption regardless of fertility status and remaining single throughout one’s life are both more socially accepted in Western society today than in decades past, we could imagine these trends continuing as a social, not biological, innovation.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Thread necromancy.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    “Obsolescence of sex” would be the wrong phrasing, but as adoption regardless of fertility status and remaining single throughout one’s life are both more socially accepted in Western society today than in decades past, we could imagine these trends continuing as a social, not biological, innovation.
    Miss Kai, please believe me when I say that, without any snarl or venom at all, being single for your whole life is a social *disaster*.

I see it at the VA Hospital all the time. You age, your health will fail, and if nobody cares, well, you've become a dustbin human.

I sat with a 85 year old woman who had terminal cancer. She had outlived everybody who first order cared about her and had no siblings or descendants. It utterly sucks to be old and dying.

It's horribly worse when nobody cares. Nobody there to hold you while the end of the line comes up.

It's really a bad idea to accept that being single your whole life is desirable.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    It is not that I really wanted to be single it is that to me being around people can be really stressful so it is hard to feel comfortable around people. The last time I really felt comfortable around and wanted to date was about 17 years ago. I meant her the second term of an academic year, she really wanted to see the telescope and I was on duty. At the end of the term we at a party at the university bar and held hands and the next morning a bunch of people stood right behind my ear saying things that turn me off. There were some that I shouldn't be there and wanted me to go out with someone who agreed with them mostly because of rumors that they told. Like one day while working with some one during the summer I said I like the space network because it little factoids between episodes. That got turned into I learned everything from star trek. The summer after us holding hands I got back and she said she would go out with me no matter what I did, I got the context. Plus that summer there were a bunch of rumors, half truths and gossip spread around about thru the department about me. Some thought I wasn't even coming back, yeah I would leave several hundred dollars of textbooks for them to have free. During the year there were a couple of times it felt almost right but other got in the way. During the year I went on anti depressants but eventually at the end of the year I left and took years to rebuild. oops maybe went a little to far.

Sometimes while looking up stuff be checking what people are looking up I see certain threads that bring this stuff up, maybe it is then sending me messages or it I just seeing things. That I would like to get rid of.

Misconceptions about mental health issues. Not everyone who acts different wants attention sometimes they just want to be alone, or they have adhd. Sometimes people who are staring at a tv they are not really paying attention to the TV maybe they are depressed. It is getting better but like a lot of things it is getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Said software had better be bug-free. It'd be pretty scary when you're put on a crash-path and aren't allowed to even even hit the brakes yourself.
    I think that there would be some kind of algorithm built in that would ensure that no move would be last minute for efficiency. Think of safety as an art rather than an efficiency.

By the way, good call on automation. we already have some auto drives 8 years after this original post.

Quote Originally Posted by JCoyote View Post
    Thread necromancy.
    We'll see.

I'll hang around just to reopen this in 2050

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    We'll see.

I'll hang around just to reopen this in 2050
    OK.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Having tried to read old handwritten documents, I’d say one already does, and I learned cursive. Illegible cursive is not new.

Darn I thought I invented it.

i haven't been on this forum for a couple of years, maybe more.. the bookmark on my phone led to a dead page that didn't forward me.. i googled it, found the correct page, and logged in.. went to update the url in my bookmarks and it was already updated.. 32 years before 2050..
    we truly live in the future..