Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show Suggestions

Show Suggestions

Here's a couple of topic I would love to hear a show about:

1. The Rare Earth Hypothesis.
    We hear a lot about the Drake equation and advocates that Earth is nothing special. But what about the other side which questions why extraterrestrial civilisations aren't obvious.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Earth_hypothesis

2. Solar System Formation.
    This has been mentioned on shows but not a show dedicated to the topic. Before we started discovering exoplanets astronomers and physicists looked at our solar system and thought they understood how solar systems formed. Now we know that our system is unusual, and in particular that giant Jupiters tend to hug their stars.

I find this topic particularly fascinating as it shows us the limits of looking at one example and trying to generalise it. This is still the case when speculating about life elsewhere!

Would love to hear your thoughts on this topic.
    :-)

Planets that are smaller are harder to detect, and planets that are further from their sun are harder to detect, so it is natural that the first planets we detect would be larger ones near their sun. That does not mean that most planets are hot Jupiters. Now that we have better intruments on the job, like Kepler, we are finding smaller planets further from their sun.

Stellar formation or Star populations as the universe ages. (I think there is a word for that second one, I just can't think of it.)
    Solfe

I would love to hear more in depth discussion about Planck wall!

There was a JPL pod cast about images from the space shuttle being used for viewing Mayan settlements and revealing their farming techniques. That isn't anything like astronomy, but it is extremely cool.
    Solfe

Can we have another question show?

As a number of suggestions have been made, I have tweaked the name of this thread and made it a sticky

I would like a show with info on viewing options for light polluted areas. The obvious choices for those of us relatively new to astronomy are the moon, planets and larger star clusters. I've also seen websites that offer remote control viewing and photography services. Solar viewing also seems intriguing but I haven't sprung for the right filter yet. I've seen cheaper generic fitting filters but wonder if there is a dangerous compromise in quality, possibly damaging the eye.

Some more stuff about the Sun would be great.
    The Solar Corona heating problem, the wobbling sun, helioseismology or solar oscillations ( a subject which fascinated me as an undergraduate) the newer area of coronal seismology. Sunspot interactions, spicules etc....

Astronomy Cast is great
    Thanks for the interesting and wonderfully presented content
    Last edited by mikeg64; 2011-Mar-05 at 12:12 AM.

Lightbulb Center of the Galaxy

How about a show on the center of the Milky Way, or other spiral galaxies? I don't mean the super-massive black hole, but the area around it. Surely there is more going on than just stars whipping around at breakneck velocities. How dense with stars is the area? Are any stars being born? Dying?

And most importantly, what use does God have with a starship?

Brown dwarves. Exo-Jupiters: super, hot, cold, etc. Planetary ejections - where do they go and what are they like? Are they big, small or in between?
    A Titan Update, someone must still be cranking out papers.
    Solfe

Show topic idea: The Heliosphere. I recently heard a story on NPR Science Friday about they voyager missions reaching the heliosphere and thought this would be a great topic for Astronomy Cast. What is it and where are the boundaries? Does it serve a protective purpose for our planet? What's the measurable difference between being "in it" and beyond it? Would our view of the galaxy and universe be different without it? Can an object beyond the heliosphere be in orbit around the sun or an object within it NOT be in orbit around the sun? I heard that solar winds change speed/direction when they reach the edge of the heliosphere, what does that mean? I can picture wind like air movement on our planet but what exactly is "solar wind" (if you could stand naked in space holding on to a fixed object would it blow your hair back like wind on Earth?) and how does it leave our solar system through the heliosphere? Does an object leaving the solar system require an energy boost to break through the heliosphere? ...and so on and so forth

More on the shape and progression of the universe and its features.
    and why all galaxies tend to be not only moving away but more specifically the fact that there all moving in the same direction, (forgive me if its not a fact)
    and this might sound weird but can you enplane fire/ or something that we see as having a real and fiscal change using partial physics, first verbalizing the equation then explaining its energy distributions that are given, please thank you

An Azimovian idea

Hi everyone.
    Years ago, I read a non-fiction book by Isaac Azimov, but I don't recall the title. In it, however, he attempted to describe the night sky from various places both within our Solar System and beyond it. It would be interesting, I think, for Pamela to do an updated version, describing perhaps the view from the Moon with a "full" Earth, from Ceres in amongst the asteroid belt , from Mercury, from Jupiter and Saturn, from the Oort cloud, from the centre of our Galaxy and perhaps from one of the globular clusters surrounding it....and perhaps finish with a view from Andromeda. What do you think?

Shane

I would love to hear about the legitimacy of us putting men on the moon! I have a few dumb conspiracy theorist friends and I want to smash them!

Do you have an mp3 of the shows theme song? I would suggest a You Tube ad with that music as the background and the images used for each show.

That would be neat.

I would post it to facebook and embed it on my site. I don't have any traffic on my website, but still the offer stands.
    Solfe

For their 1 April show (what do you mean they don't have one?): famous astronomical hoaxes (iirc, Orson Welles was involved in one).

Dr Flush from Hamilton Sundstrand (Dr Flush is his nickname....)

Women in astronomy (Henrietta Leavitt, Jocelyn Bell, and the ones in between)

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

A pair show on scaling up observations: what you can do without a telescope, then with binoculars and the a small 'scope. Follow this show with the discoveries from the top 3 world class observatories.

A show on the lives of photons; a walk through the spectrum and how that part of the spectrum applies to astronomy. Don't forget the history behind some of the names like X-rays and such.
    Solfe

Celestial navigation.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

The speed of things

How fast do objects move in space? Does it depend on how large they are, what they are made of and what they are orbiting? How about asteroids/meteors? How fast are meteors moving when they hit the atmosphere? and how big does a meteor have to be to actually hit the ground rather than burn up in the atmosphere?

Love Astronomy Cast by the way, it's my top Podcast show

Ways to cheat relativity, like Alcubierre bubbles.

An update on the LCH and search for the Higgs-Boson.
    Solfe

A show on PTF 11kly would be great.

The most outrageous and shocking facts and figures.

The most outrageous and shocking facts and figures. Like most extreme weights, sizes, distances, chain reactions, and time, from all things universe and astronomy inc. chemistry, physics etc

How about a show about Arthur Eddington, who helped prove Einstein right on GR in 1919

Another show on ancient astronomy. I love the historical stuff. "Einstein was right" was a great show.
    How about a show on astronomical navigation without GPS? I haven't listened to the GPS show yet.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    How about a show about Arthur Eddington, who helped prove Einstein right on GR in 1919
    I tend to agree here--I had heard that the measurements performed by Eddington were highly controversial (he may have used a fudge factor)--then again . . . that may be an urban legend?

Solfe's

suggestion of ancient astronomy is also good -

This whole Neutrinos faster than light needs to be clarified a bit for me.
    What would be the consequences if its true?

Hi Fraser,

This isn't a suggestion for the show.
    Rather, it's for the website (http://astronomycast.com/)

I routinely visit the website on a few occasions,
    mainly to read the transcripts, as I'm a bit hard of hearing,
    and on a few occasions, you or Pamela are speaking
    a bit too quickly for me to catch everything.

When I visit http://astronomycast.com/, I find that the default
    font size of the site is quite small and hard to read.

I then try to use my browser to magnify the site,
    but even when I boost magnification to 150% or 200%,
    the font size (while larger) is still not easy to read.

I'm using Chrome on Windows XP,
    but I've also tried Firefox and IE.
    The problem appears in all these browsers.

Would you please choose a different default font
    for the http://astronomycast.com/ website?

I notice, for example, that the default font for the
    http://astrosphere.org/ website is both easy-to-read
    and easy to magnify. This is also true for the font
    used at this http://www.bautforum.com/ site.

Thanks,
    Bob

Five minute Mythology - pick an astronomical object with a proper name then explain the history behind that name. Perhaps do one month.
    Solfe