Page 174 of 175 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175 LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,220 of 5231

Thread: We don't need no stinkin' Untrue Facts! (!!!)

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    When a dog shakes off water after a swim, the cooling rate for the dog peaks at the highest value found in nature.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

The US Postal Service will retire its entire fleet of in-flight refueling tankers at the end of the year after realizing it doesn't use its own planes for airmail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The US Postal Service will retire its entire fleet of in-flight refueling tankers at the end of the year after realizing it doesn't use its own planes for airmail.
    You'd think they'd first get rid of the ponies.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Charles Darwin was inspired to write The Descent of Man when he saw his girl watching gardener fall out of a tree.

The Beagle was designed to sail in the Dog lattitudes allowing Darwin to discover finches that filled the ecological niche occupied elsewhere by ...beagles.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

The De-Scent of Man was an effort to make escaped convicts harder to track by bloodhounds or... Beagles.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

The bloodhound missile of the sixties was expensive to maintain but was unique in using a scent trail to find fighter planes leaking kerosene. there was an unfortunate test firing incident when it locked onto a jet-ski towing a water skier wearing too much 'old spice" aftershave but luckily no celebrity was evaporated. Nevertheless sales of aftershaves nosedived rather like the test bloodhound. Nobody today would think of using kerosine aftershave even if they have forgotten the incident, it being pre-internet.
    sicut vis videre esto

Rat terriers were originally bred by Oxford dog breeder Michael Rat, for whom they were named.

The Hubble Space Telescope got its name because while the main mirror was still being ground, they put a shiny hubcap in its place to help test the other optics. Then they forgot to swap it out before the launch.

All past ice ages were caused by technological civilizations overreacting to threats of global warming.

The file servers that are in The Cloud are installed on drones that are hiding in the actual clouds.

Our Mars colonists will have twice as many moon landing hoaxes to deal with. It's just as well that we can't colonize the gas giants.

hard cheese makes an excellent, if crumbly, pencil eraser and was the inspiration for the parmesan range of artists' pasta additives.
    sicut vis videre esto

Footnotes got their name back when writing was done on lengthy scrolls. Writers found it easier to actually use their feet to write at the bottoms of documents.

Rice University was originally a Chinese agricultural school that relocated to the U.S. to escape the Japanese occupation forces in World War II.

The last and final argument about reality thread has dropped to page 2 of its forum, so the discussion is over. Its final poster, profloater, is now the final authority on the nature of reality.

Nothing rhymes with chuck so I cannot make a poem in reply.
    sicut vis videre esto

Duck is the least polite thing that rhymes with Chuck.

The inhabitants of Rama were informally called Ra-men. Unfortunately a too close pass by a black hole left them spaghettified.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Utopia got its name when people found that its streets were wide enough to make U-turns.

In America the roundabout was introduced as a double U-turn. This was quickly abandoned after drivers started to make strange zig-zag motions to turn around.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

The FDA has announced that it will not approve any new artificial sweeteners because no new colors are available for the little packets.

8 is a french code word for cannabis.

Since it is used in the context of both time and distance, the S.I. unit for spacetime has been named the Kessel.

The parsec was originally a golfing term meaning the number of seconds the ball spent in the air on an average golfer's tee shot.

The island of Guadalcanal is completely man made from the dredgings of the Panama Canalís construction.

[little bit off-topic, so this really happened] I work for a major dredging company. Some years ago we were building a large port in a popular area with lots of small natural islands. A few of them were for sale, and you were allowed to build a house on them. So my evil plan was to buy the smallest (cheapest) one, and let one of the dredgers dump its load onto it to quadruple its size. In the end I left it as a thought exercise.[/little bit off-topic] [Still off-topic so this also really happened]Once we actually removed an island that was inside the Panama canal.[/still off-topic]

-----------------------------------

[on-topic, so nonsense]
    Much like the Statue Of Liberty, the Panama Canal was built in France and then shipped to the Americas.

The Rapture got its name because all of the world's musicians will be lifted into heaven and issued harps while all the rap artists are left behind.

If love makes the world go 'round, how much love is necessary for a rotating black hole? Can a GUT incorporate love into the description of the event horizon?
    Discuss.

Is the expression "a stitch in time saves nine" only true for non-accelerating masses? How does the savings change as one approaches the speed of light, and will an observer in a different reference frame perceive the same amount of savings?
    Discuss.