Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1275

Thread: Leave a Random Fact II: Baby Got Fact.

The Epitaph of Seikilos, the oldest known song for which we possess both the melody and lyrics, was found as a stele near a railway in Adyn. After coming into possession of the building firm's director, it had its final line filed off so that it could make a stable stand for his wife's flower pots.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

The flag of Hawaii deliberately evokes the American, British, Russian and French flags because King Kamehameha wanted the warring Western nations to feel safe when trading in his ports.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

JK Rowling is a nincompoop.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

I think that falls under "opinion" rather than fact. Perhaps you could elaborate, if only in PM form?

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Kryptonite was not invented in the Superman comics. It was invented on the radio series "The Adventures of Superman", because the shows were broadcast live and Superman's voice actor, Bud Collyer, wanted some time off.
    Yeah. For several weekly episodes, they merely had another voice actor stand in with anonymous groans.

This looks like a job for... An intern!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

James K Polk was the last president to be born while George Washington was still alive.

Ronald Reagan was the only U.S. president who was born before four of his predecessors.

After 80 years, in 2006 Disney finally managed to get Oswald the Lucky Rabbit back from Universal by trading him for football announcer Al Michaels.

Stephen Colbert.

The real name of David Tennant, who will be voicing Scrooge McDuck in the upcoming Ducktales reboot, is David MacDonald.

Scrooge claims his money bin contains "3 cubic acres" of gold. Assuming that "cubic acre" means "a cube with a side length equal to the side length of an acre", then that means his money bin contains 772,321 cubic metres of gold. The total amount of gold ever mined is estimated at 8,187 cubic metres.
    Last edited by parallaxicality; 2017-Jun-19 at 07:32 AM.

Stephen Colbert.

According to the IMF, seven countries (Tuvalu, Kiribati, The Marshall Islands, Palau, The Federated States of Micronesia, São Tomé and Príncipe and Tonga) have nominal GDPs smaller than Second Life.

Stephen Colbert.

A marathon is 209¾ furlongs.

Quite a lot of threads passed through the event horizon today!

Based on Jeremy Harper's 89-day time to count to one million, it is technically possible for a human being to count to one billion. Assuming that you can match a talking speed equal to the fastest talkers on record (about 4 times average) and factoring in time to speak the longer numbers, you could reach 1 billion in 71 years, which, provided you began before the age of 30, gives you a slim chance of completing the task in your lifetime.

Stephen Colbert.

Of the fifty cities in the world with the highest murder rate, only three are not in the Americas. They are in South Africa. The remaining 47 are split among eight countries: Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico and the US.
    Last edited by parallaxicality; 2017-Jul-04 at 11:13 AM.

Stephen Colbert.

Only three countries in the world, the United States, Mexico and Eritrea, have no official language. Most have one, and only ten have more than two.

Stephen Colbert.

British soldiers during World War One called mustard gas "HS", or "Hun stuff".

Stephen Colbert.

The characters for whom Wikipedia provides article lists of portraying actors are Sherlock Holmes, Doctor Who, Jesus and Santa Claus.

Stephen Colbert.

For his voice performance on Thriller, Vincent Price was offered a choice between a cut of the royalties and a flat fee of $20,000. He chose the $20,000. Even if his royalties were restricted to the song alone, the latter choice would have netted him and his estate nearly $4 million, assuming standard mechanical royalty rates.

Stephen Colbert.

The amount of tobacco per 1000 cigarettes fell from 2.28 pounds in 1960 to 0.91 pounds in 1999.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

The first vice president, John Adams, is also the first alphabetically by last name.

13579, the five odd digits, multiplied by the square root of pi is 24068.150841+, the integer part of which is the five even digits.

Pretty much in the middle, and a little way up.
    The N2/NR speed of a Bell 206b Jetranger's rotor during flight is 386 RPM.
    "The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference."

"Aikido: the art of hitting people with planets."

The name "Dennis" is derived from Dionysus:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/14360911.cms

Dionysus Exiguus, or Dennis the Little, was the inventor of the Anno Domini calendar.

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Dionysus Exiguus, or Dennis the Little, was the inventor of the Anno Domini calendar.
    I'll Google to verify.

The "golden apples of the Hesperides" might have been oranges:

In later years it was thought that the "golden apples" might have actually been oranges, a fruit unknown to Europe and the Mediterranean before the Middle Ages.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesperides

Four U.S. presidents had first and last names starting with the same letter: Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Ronald Reagan, and Woodrow Wilson.

Retraction, Calvin and Woodrow were actually middle names.

John Quincy Adams was the only U.S. president with a Q in his name. All other letters of the alphabet appear in at least two presidents' names.

Titan's year lasts for 675 of Titan's days.

Stephen Colbert.

I read in a book ("Buddha" by Jon Ortner) that - according to his research - statues of Buddha were "inspired" by Greek statuary. And that earliest Buddhas "resembled Apollo."