Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread Titles You've Misread

I always thought it was by Dr. Seuss.

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Another for the "read correctly, but misunderstood" category, similar to swampyankee's earlier example: "Books on Venus".
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Let's all get Rich!!! .... Why? What did he do?

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Another for the "read correctly, but misunderstood" category, similar to swampyankee's earlier example: "Books on Venus".
    Same here

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Let's all get Rich!!! .... Why? What did he do?
    There was a Calvin and Hobbes comic strip about that, with Calvin saying some kids at school "Got Filthy Rich" and then explaining it meant they beat up a boy named Rich.

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Apocolypse Peppers... I misread that one every time I see it :>

Another one I read properly, but it sends my mind off on a tangent: The Pacific Ring of Fire is a remnant of the Moon-creating impact event. Every time I see that one, I get Johnny Cash in my head singing "I fell down in to a burning ring of fire, I went down, down, down and the flames went higher..."
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Off-topic to BAUT. Yesterday in a bookstore, in the small pulp fiction (1930s to 1960s) section, a spine which read "Bagles on the Western Front." Bagels?! In the Old West? In a cowboy/Indians story?? I doubt it!

Pulled it, looked at front: It's "Bugles on the Western Front."

Yes, that makes a lot more sense.

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    hah! Bagles! love it!

"Are you a scientifically literate quiz"

Of course not, what a strange question...

Rata Die

I misread it as "Data Pie."

If I see a thread has the letters "VA" in the title and I will expect it to be a great story by BigDon and not a question about the Van Allen Belts. Who would want to talk about the Van Allen Belts on an astronomy board?
    Solfe

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Terrestial plant with more than 10 Earth masses.
    - that's one big fungus!

Balancing computer fans .. I expected Apple, Windows, and OS/2 diehards balancing on a tightrope. Or maybe an unexpected peace settlement in the OS wars. I didn't really expect it to be about balancing computer fans.

Supermoon This Weekend misread by me as Supermom This Weekend.

Guess I've got upcoming Mother's Day in mind...

I saw one about What's all the fuss about sonic booms?, which after a hasty glance appeared to be, What's all the fuss about atomic bombs?
    Trigger warning - this post may contain material insufficiently sycophantic towards the board and its membership.

Not exactly the title, but a phrase I misread in the Idioms thread made me start this.
    (yes, TVtropes has ruined me for everything else.)

"Children proselytizing for an organization" when you don't know what pros...something means.

And "Missing Members" thinking we're mounting a search party.

And "A Question About Carbon Dating". As opposed to silicon dating? Where you go for dinner with a computer.

"How would you like your eggs fixed?" read as "How would you like your legs fixed?" interpreted as some kind of on-demand service in the emergency department.

(I really did misread it like that)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    "How would you like your eggs fixed?" read as "How would you like your legs fixed?" interpreted as some kind of on-demand service in the emergency department.

(I really did misread it like that)
    Kind of pointless trying to fix eggs once they're broken . . .
    Trigger warning - this post may contain material insufficiently sycophantic towards the board and its membership.

In 1980, I put Ann McCaffrey's Dragonflight on my Christmas list, but I was given Dragonquest instead. Obviously somebody misread this title about Threads...

(I went out and bought Dragonflight in the end, and didn't like it that much, then I still had Dragonquest to wade through...)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    In 1980, I put Ann McCaffrey's Dragonflight on my Christmas list, but I was given Dragonquest instead. Obviously somebody misread this title about Threads...

(I went out and bought Dragonflight in the end, and didn't like it that much, then I still had Dragonquest to wade through...)
    That, combined with my recent food/dinner post, reminds me of a very DUMB misread I did as a teenager. A dessert recipe (for "Scotcheroos" -- can Google that) calls for corn SYRUP. I, apparently lost in thought or whatever, grabbed corn OIL.

And I proceeded to make the dessert with the corn OIL, and only then realized my mistake.

My sister and I still laugh over my father asking what happened, why I was tossing the panful of "goodies" away. *shakes head*

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    That, combined with my recent food/dinner post, reminds me of a very DUMB misread I did as a teenager. A dessert recipe (for "Scotcheroos" -- can Google that) calls for corn SYRUP. I, apparently lost in thought or whatever, grabbed corn OIL.

And I proceeded to make the dessert with the corn OIL, and only then realized my mistake.

My sister and I still laugh over my father asking what happened, why I was tossing the panful of "goodies" away. *shakes head*
    Once I mistook a bottle of hand lotion for a bottle of shampoo and wound up with my hair full of lotion.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Once I mistook a bottle of hand lotion for a bottle of shampoo and wound up with my hair full of lotion.
    Lol! Makes more sense, though, than my mistake. I was really distracted that day, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

When I was a kid I used to spend some time at my grandmother's house every summer. One time i had been playing outside for a while, but since it was quite hot that day i came in very thirsty asking for a glass of water, which my grandmother gave to me. Thirsty as i was, i took a big gulp but the sensation that happened then was quite remarkable to put it mildly. Turns out she had mistaken a bottle of distilled vinegar for a bottle of water.

WATER

With A Tyre, Everyone Rolls

I misread "the ethics of immortality" (BABBling) as "the ethics of immorality". Time and time again. It makes for an interesting thread title though.

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Ditto Nicolas above :> I was almost afraid to open the thread

Quote Originally Posted by LookingSkyward View Post
    Ditto Nicolas above :> I was almost afraid to open the thread
    Ditto. And as a bonus, the misinterpretation is an oxymoron of sorts.

sorts

Smelly Oranges Really Taste Sour