Page 358 of 358 FirstFirst ... 258308348356357358
Results 10,711 to 10,739 of 10739

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

  1. #10711
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Not sure how trivial this actually is.
    My new car comes with "Front Assist" as standard - initially sounding an alarm if you approach a vehicle in front too quickly, then dabbing the brakes, then ramping up braking steadily. So far, there's been no occasion for it to make itself known to me.
    But for the last couple of days I've been driving back and forth along a very narrow, winding road (single track with passing places) in the west of Scotland, with a wall on one side and a body of water on the other. You of course have to go slowly around the blind corners with the wall on the inside of the curve, but you can negotiate the curves with the wall on the outside fairly quickly, because you have a sightline so that you can see whether the road ahead is clear. Except the Front "Assist" kept interpreting the wall on the outside of the curve as another vehicle ahead, sounding an alarm and dabbing the brakes just as I started to steer the curve.
    Not at all happy about that.

    Grant Hutchison
    Is it easy to turn it on/off or does it require the car to be stopped and menus worked through?

  2. #10712
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,454
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Not sure how trivial this actually is.
    My new car comes with "Front Assist" as standard - initially sounding an alarm if you approach a vehicle in front too quickly, then dabbing the brakes, then ramping up braking steadily. So far, there's been no occasion for it to make itself known to me.
    But for the last couple of days I've been driving back and forth along a very narrow, winding road (single track with passing places) in the west of Scotland, with a wall on one side and a body of water on the other. You of course have to go slowly around the blind corners with the wall on the inside of the curve, but you can negotiate the curves with the wall on the outside fairly quickly, because you have a sightline so that you can see whether the road ahead is clear. Except the Front "Assist" kept interpreting the wall on the outside of the curve as another vehicle ahead, sounding an alarm and dabbing the brakes just as I started to steer the curve.
    Not at all happy about that.

    Grant Hutchison
    Not sure if you have the option to turn it off, but i would if so. The problem with these driving "assist" devices is that people get used to them and end up relying on them more and more making it easier to concentrate less on driving the car which can have an adverse effect to people's reactions.

    I was speaking to an advanced - advanced driving instructor about why the speed limits and stopping distance of vehicles have not been revised here in the UK since the seventies.

    He explained that they have "In fact study shows that although modern vehicles are far safer, stop quicker and handle better. In general, on average, modern driver's reaction times have slowed due to the advancement in technology and the ease at which vehicles are to drive, people relax far more and get distracted much more than in an older less capable vehicle travelling at similar speeds. The studies show that the numbers actually evened out, in that the total stopping distances from when the average driver reacts, during normal driving conditions, to the vehicle stopping is very similar to the initial figures back in the 1970's"

    It seems that as vehicles get easier to drive, on average people get more careless during driving.

    I can see how this might be true. A while back I drove a 1960's Landrover the handling was shocking and the brakes were awful, eventually when I reached 70mph (which it just about got to) I was completely focused on keeping control of the vehicle and I was wary of maintaining a safe distance between myself and the car in front.
    I often get up to 70 mph in my car (which is easily capable of 140 mph) and I feel totally safe and relaxed and am less concerned with whats going on on the roads around me. Don't get me wrong I tend to drive as safely as possible, but my modern car is just so easy to drive I naturally relax more, perhaps a little too much.

  3. #10713
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,907
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Is it easy to turn it on/off or does it require the car to be stopped and menus worked through?
    The latter - it's nested deep in the menu options. I confess it took me a while to figure out what was going on, since the warning message flashes only briefly and my attention was necessarily outside the car when it happened. There was also the issue that I believe I specifically excluded Front Assist, along with a whole lot of other patronizing bells and whistles, when I ordered the car. (I chose my particular make of car mainly because it was easier to exclude all the guff I didn't want.)

    Grant Hutchison

  4. #10714
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,161
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    Not sure if you have the option to turn it off, but i would if so. The problem with these driving "assist" devices is that people get used to them and end up relying on them more and more making it easier to concentrate less on driving the car which can have an adverse effect to people's reactions.

    I was speaking to an advanced - advanced driving instructor about why the speed limits and stopping distance of vehicles have not been revised here in the UK since the seventies.

    He explained that they have "In fact study shows that although modern vehicles are far safer, stop quicker and handle better. In general, on average, modern driver's reaction times have slowed due to the advancement in technology and the ease at which vehicles are to drive, people relax far more and get distracted much more than in an older less capable vehicle travelling at similar speeds. The studies show that the numbers actually evened out, in that the total stopping distances from when the average driver reacts, during normal driving conditions, to the vehicle stopping is very similar to the initial figures back in the 1970's"

    It seems that as vehicles get easier to drive, on average people get more careless during driving.

    I can see how this might be true. A while back I drove a 1960's Landrover the handling was shocking and the brakes were awful, eventually when I reached 70mph (which it just about got to) I was completely focused on keeping control of the vehicle and I was wary of maintaining a safe distance between myself and the car in front.
    I often get up to 70 mph in my car (which is easily capable of 140 mph) and I feel totally safe and relaxed and am less concerned with whats going on on the roads around me. Don't get me wrong I tend to drive as safely as possible, but my modern car is just so easy to drive I naturally relax more, perhaps a little too much.
    My wife may say I'm turning into a crumudgeon before my time, but I visibly cringe and often can't help muttering at the ads showing the "lane assist" and "front assist" options on cars. It's like the industry (including the NTSB or whomever else) just has thrown up their hands and said, "Whelp, everyone's going to text and drive anyway, so we might as well make the cars make the decisions!" Don't even get me started on the demented evil of self-driving cars!

    CJSF
    P.S.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"


    lonelybirder.org

  5. #10715
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,907
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    Not sure if you have the option to turn it off, but i would if so. The problem with these driving "assist" devices is that people get used to them and end up relying on them more and more making it easier to concentrate less on driving the car which can have an adverse effect to people's reactions.
    There's an advertisement for (I think) VW going around at the moment, in which we see an accident-prone child and his worried parents during various episodes as he grows up - falling off roller-skates, cycling into the river, and so on. The parents are then terrified for his safety when he learns to drive, so buy him a car packed with assist devices, and heave a sigh of relief. At last he will be safe! I find it a deeply unpleasant and cynical ad.

    Unlike most people, I've never managed to shake off the knowledge that I am imbued with a massive amount of kinetic energy relative to the road surface when driving. For this reason I hate motorway driving with an abiding passion, and hate every single road user who's trying to make me release all that kinetic energy in a very personal way - so there's no danger of me ever getting too relaxed.
    I come closest to "driving relaxation" when I'm negotiating twisty single-track Scottish roads - there's always something interesting happening, and fewer people trying to kill me. So I laughed quite a lot when I read a motor journalist reviewing the "North Coast 500" route (five hundred miles around the north of Scotland), writing that driving conditions were "demanding". If that's considered demanding driving, said journalist would be reduced to hysterical tears by an "Ardnamurchan 20". But I guess it reflects how many people prefer to sit in their little box with the cruise control and assist devices turned on, listening to audiobooks and vaguely watching the scenery go by.

    Grant Hutchison

  6. #10716
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11,824
    The latest inanity from college aged adults.

    And a subject I firmly believe Miss Gillian will back me up on without argument, if you can believe that!

    I was at a party recently and two young women, somewhere in their mid to late twenties, where talking about having children. (As neither had any children they were just supposing.) And both were saying how they and their friends all thought it wasn't a good idea to have more than one child because...ready for this? Because how can you possibly love more than one child to the same intensity as the first one?

    Wow. I laughed out loud just typing that out.

    I had to step in at that point, because I felt they both should know better. I lectured them on how patently absurd that idea was and that it was some sort of nonsense I was amazed they took seriously.

    Since I was kinda miffed I didn't stop until finally the younger one said, "Thank you Dad. We're sorry." And I got a hug.

    For you see, both young women were my daughters! I actually made them blush by asking which one thought they were the less loved one.

    It seems they and their friends were applying this concept to themselves and the future, not themselves and their past!

    One of those ideas that sounds good to the naÔve, up until the first time somebody says "Hey!"
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

  7. #10717
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,200
    Well, I disagree with your generalization that it's all college-aged adults, but yeah, you're right that that's incredibly silly of them.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  8. #10718
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Well, I disagree with your generalization that it's all college-aged adults, but yeah, you're right that that's incredibly silly of them.
    They weren't the only ones I've heard say this. Just the only ones I knew well enough to correct.

    (And thank you for the twenty dollars. I had a bet going.)
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

  9. #10719
    That right now I need a cup of coffee.
    ETA: I won't get paid until next week it looks like.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-May-18 at 06:09 PM.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  10. #10720
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    There's an advertisement for (I think) VW going around at the moment, in which we see an accident-prone child and his worried parents during various episodes as he grows up - falling off roller-skates, cycling into the river, and so on. The parents are then terrified for his safety when he learns to drive, so buy him a car packed with assist devices, and heave a sigh of relief. At last he will be safe! I find it a deeply unpleasant and cynical ad.

    Unlike most people, I've never managed to shake off the knowledge that I am imbued with a massive amount of kinetic energy relative to the road surface when driving. For this reason I hate motorway driving with an abiding passion, and hate every single road user who's trying to make me release all that kinetic energy in a very personal way - so there's no danger of me ever getting too relaxed.
    I come closest to "driving relaxation" when I'm negotiating twisty single-track Scottish roads - there's always something interesting happening, and fewer people trying to kill me. So I laughed quite a lot when I read a motor journalist reviewing the "North Coast 500" route (five hundred miles around the north of Scotland), writing that driving conditions were "demanding". If that's considered demanding driving, said journalist would be reduced to hysterical tears by an "Ardnamurchan 20". But I guess it reflects how many people prefer to sit in their little box with the cruise control and assist devices turned on, listening to audiobooks and vaguely watching the scenery go by.

    Grant Hutchison
    I remember enjoying the drive along those type of roads - we didn't quite get to Ardnamurchan but reasonably close by (Fort William, Spean Bridge way) before heading further north. The drivers I encountered seemed to understand that co-operation made everyone's trips safer and faster. However, the "fewer people trying to kill me" part is important. Driving on the west coast of Ireland bought back memories of the roads in the north of Scotland - admittedly from 40 years beforehand. But, a lot of those Irish roads are trying to carry probably 20 times the amount of traffic that they can safely handle and are a challenging drive.

    Then again many of the German autobahns are equally challenging with the right hand lane clogged with slow moving trucks and the left lane(s) populated with a huge number of cars, many of who still buy into the idea that high speed is always safe on these roads - and it certainly isn't.

  11. #10721
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,200
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    They weren't the only ones I've heard say this. Just the only ones I knew well enough to correct.

    (And thank you for the twenty dollars. I had a bet going.)
    I'll admit that some days, I'm not thrilled with one or the other--but when they both decided this morning that I was done sleeping, I wasn't thrilled with either of them!
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  12. #10722
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,907
    The fact that, according to today's BBC News, nothing at all happened in the entire world except a wedding and a Scottish Cup Final match.

    My wife and I had a competition over dinner to come up with the best "And in other news ..." item for today. She won with "And in other news, a nuclear device has been detonated at the Dome of the Rock, Jerusalem. The Scottish Nationalist Party has claimed responsibility. But now it's time for the weather forecast."

    Grant Hutchison

  13. #10723
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11,824
    Doc, I do think that would cause a stir. But enough to break into the Royal Wedding?

    I took you for a more sober individual.

    ()
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

  14. #10724
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,190
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The fact that, according to today's BBC News, nothing at all happened in the entire world except a wedding and a Scottish Cup Final match.

    My wife and I had a competition over dinner to come up with the best "And in other news ..." item for today. She won with "And in other news, a nuclear device has been detonated at the Dome of the Rock, Jerusalem. The Scottish Nationalist Party has claimed responsibility. But now it's time for the weather forecast."

    Grant Hutchison
    Unfortunately, here in the USA even the wedding was insufficient to drive The Topic Which Must Not Be Mentioned on the Forum off the headlines.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  15. #10725
    Glom's Avatar
    Glom is online now Insert awesome title here
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    11,159
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The fact that, according to today's BBC News, nothing at all happened in the entire world except a wedding and a Scottish Cup Final match.

    My wife and I had a competition over dinner to come up with the best "And in other news ..." item for today. She won with "And in other news, a nuclear device has been detonated at the Dome of the Rock, Jerusalem. The Scottish Nationalist Party has claimed responsibility. But now it's time for the weather forecast."

    Grant Hutchison
    I think there were a number of items shown on BBC News that day like the Cuba plane crash. The wedding was at the top of course along with associated stories, but there was other stuff.

    I think this Penn Jillette style confirmation bias. Last year, he talked about his tour in the UK and how the news only seemed to be talking about America. This was almost exactly a year ago when we were in the middle of a general election campaign, which he seemed oblivious to. Of course, there was a lot more on the British media than America, but Penn only noticed when it was about something relevant to him. So subconsciously ignoring news he didn't care about and heeding news he did, he reached the false conclusion that only news he cares about was covered at all.

    My latest bugbear is the annoying habit of YouTubers to start of a video by wasting our time telling us we should like and subscribe. Look, buddy, if I like your video, I'll like it (I don't actually do that) and if I like your stuff more broadly I'll subscribe, but I'm not going to do it just because you tell me to.

  16. #10726
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    I think there were a number of items shown on BBC News that day like the Cuba plane crash. The wedding was at the top of course along with associated stories, but there was other stuff.
    Not the news broadcast I watched, which was the time-shifted and shortened 6pm news. It was Wedding+Cup Final+Weather, in its entirety.

    Grant Hutchison

  17. #10727
    Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    I think there were a number of items shown on BBC News that day like the Cuba plane crash. The wedding was at the top of course along with associated stories, but there was other stuff.

    I think this Penn Jillette style confirmation bias. Last year, he talked about his tour in the UK and how the news only seemed to be talking about America. This was almost exactly a year ago when we were in the middle of a general election campaign, which he seemed oblivious to. Of course, there was a lot more on the British media than America, but Penn only noticed when it was about something relevant to him. So subconsciously ignoring news he didn't care about and heeding news he did, he reached the false conclusion that only news he cares about was covered at all.

    My latest bugbear is the annoying habit of YouTubers to start of a video by wasting our time telling us we should like and subscribe. Look, buddy, if I like your video, I'll like it (I don't actually do that) and if I like your stuff more broadly I'll subscribe, but I'm not going to do it just because you tell me to.
    At least wait until the end of the video to ask if someone liked your video.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  18. #10728
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,200
    My four-year-old thinks that saying "like and subscribe" is a way to say something matters to you.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  19. #10729
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    2,758
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    My four-year-old thinks that saying "like and subscribe" is a way to say something matters to you.
    Too funny!

  20. #10730
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,036
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    So I laughed quite a lot when I read a motor journalist reviewing the "North Coast 500" route (five hundred miles around the north of Scotland), writing that driving conditions were "demanding". If that's considered demanding driving, said journalist would be reduced to hysterical tears by an "Ardnamurchan 20".
    Grant Hutchison
    The only demanding thing about driving the NC500 is remaining calm when you meet a hired RV driven by someone who can't reverse it into a passing place.

  21. #10731
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    The only demanding thing about driving the NC500 is remaining calm when you meet a hired RV driven by someone who can't reverse it into a passing place.
    Or one of those little convoys of classic sports cars, moving nose-to-tail along the single-track sections. They're too close together to spread into separate passing places and too many to fit into one - so they'll never let someone behind overtake, and they always create a problem for someone coming in the opposite direction.

    (I don't really understand why they're there, anyway: "I own an open-topped car with good road-handling at speed, but very inefficient fuel consumption. What will I do this summer? I know - I'll drive slowly in convoy through a notoriously rainy part of the world!")

    Grant Hutchison

  22. #10732
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,036
    For those playing along at home this and this give an idea of the roads. These are fairly randomly selected and not the worst stretches.

    Edit: I've just realised there are no vehicles in either scene, so this shows the road width.
    Last edited by Heid the Ba'; Today at 10:10 AM.

  23. #10733
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    11,930
    Nice of that driver to pull over for the Google Maps car ... and nicer not to make some sort of rude gesture as it drove by.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  24. #10734
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,036
    On closer inspection the passenger is giving a cheery wave!

  25. #10735
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    For those playing along at home this and this give an idea of the roads. These are fairly randomly selected and not the worst stretches.

    Edit: I've just realised there are no vehicles in either scene, so this shows the road width.
    Ah, some iconic views of the Bealach na Ba. With blue sky!

    Grant Hutchison

  26. #10736
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Nice of that driver to pull over for the Google Maps car ... and nicer not to make some sort of rude gesture as it drove by.
    Whereas here is someone being forced into a ditch by the Google car in Ardnamurchan.
    We're not on a back road, by the way - this is the arterial road for communities west of Strontian.

    Grant Hutchison

  27. #10737
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,036
    Grey skies and snowing when I was over it at Easter! That is the main (only?) road to the Kilchoan ferry, I've driven it a few times.

  28. #10738
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    My four-year-old thinks that saying "like and subscribe" is a way to say something matters to you.
    Ai yi yi...

  29. #10739
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,200
    Irene seems to be content with about half an hour of nap once a day. Meanwhile, we spent three days searching for Simon's tablet only to discover it under her playpen. Still haven't found my two missing library books, though.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Similar Threads

  1. Trivial coincidences from everyday life.
    By Buttercup in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 2012-Nov-02, 09:08 PM
  2. Trivial Relief:
    By Moose in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2006-Jul-19, 01:20 PM
  3. Bad Astronomy in Trivial Pursuit, Genus 5 Edition
    By tracer in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 2005-May-12, 01:52 PM
  4. Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...
    By Brady Yoon in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-29, 01:44 PM
  5. Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...
    By Brady Yoon in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-28, 01:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •