Page 313 of 313 FirstFirst ... 213263303311312313
Results 9,361 to 9,379 of 9379

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Changing your entire morning schedule in order to get to work in time for an early morning meeting, only to find that the meeting's been cancelled - with 20 minutes' notice.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

I am always annoyed by anything that cancels things I have to wake up for after I've gone to sleep. Sometimes, it's reasonable--they drive the district roads very early in the morning in the winter here in order to make final determination about snow days and delayed openings, so of course they don't know until that day what the road is like--but it still irritates me.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Humidity.
    Not the heat?

Grant Hutchison

It's not the heat that gets you, it's the humidity.

I worked on the Gulf Coast with a guy from Midland, Texas ... the middle of West Texas. It got hot, but the humidity was very low. The low humidity made evaporative cooling very efficient. Why, he said, it was so efficient that one summer it got so hot that the lake outside of town froze over!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I just broke on of my mothers bowls.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I am SO tired of teaching the employees at SafeBucks* how to do their jobs. It's ridiculous. And borderline non-trivial, because I was having a good day up until then and the frustration pretty much ruined my afternoon.

*That's the Starbucks stand inside the Safeway store. They are Safeway employees, not Starbucks. They get no training at all, apparently.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Not the heat?

Grant Hutchison
    High humidity makes you feel hotter in the Summer, and colder in the Winter.
    Grrrr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    High humidity makes you feel hotter in the Summer, and colder in the Winter.
    Grrrr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can vouch for that, especially when wearing a full dress military band uniform in hot weather. An extreme case was when we did a welcome ceremony for the economic summit at Rice University in Houston. It was high noon in July, with the temperature about 96 and high humidity. After the ceremony our uniforms still looked sharp, but the smell was something to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    It's not the heat that gets you, it's the humidity.
    Yes, that was the attempted joke. Given that "It's not the heat, it's the humidity" is a common enough phrase to have become a snowclone, I thought it was a goer. Ah well.

Grant Hutchison

A friend of mine got a call out of the blue the other day asking if she could be ready to have her gender reassignment surgery this week. That's great; I'm really happy for her. But she posted about this on Facebook, asking if any of us could help out while she's in recovery. I expressed the wish that I could and told her really all I could do was good wishes and a lousy pun. One of her other friends immediately jumped in with, "You can help--you can give her money!" Because of course she won't be able to work while she's in recovery, and Vancouver is apparently an expensive city.

I get that she's asking people for money because she knows my friend won't and needs the financial help. That's really nice, that she made the initial suggestion when a bunch of people were lamenting being far away or in other countries and therefore unavailable to help, and some of those people do have disposable income. But I don't. I have $3 in my bank account until next Friday. At that, my tablet still hasn't turned up and will probably be a chunk of next month's budget. So calling me out in particular and saying, "Give Alice money!" bugged me.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    I just broke on of my mothers bowls.
    I'm sorry to hear that Astro. I have so few things left from my mother that I feel for you.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

"Hey buddy! My eyes are up here!" - Medusa

Frickin' tic disorder.

I keep hitting odd keys while typing and changing my computer's functions! I just did that again and now can't navigate my own system properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    So calling me out in particular and saying, "Give Alice money!" bugged me.
    I don't blame you in the slightest for being bugged about that. Public donation/gift shaming isn't just tacky, IMO. I think it's manipulative at best and approaches bullying at its worst. Things like that are more properly handled with a thoughtfully worded private message.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that Astro. I have so few things left from my mother that I feel for you.
    oh she still alive but I can hear it when gets home, "you should be more careful."
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    oh she still alive but I can hear it when gets home, "you should be more careful."
    Oh sorry, I had a whole other scenario in mind.

(and I miss my mother.)

Frickin' tic disorder.

I keep hitting odd keys while typing and changing my computer's functions! I just did that again and now can't navigate my own system properly.
    I've had that happen, but not from tics--from small children with flailing extremities. (Irene keeps turning on my caps lock with her foot.) When Simon was a year or two old, he kept finding things that our various electronics could do that we hadn't realized, such as turning on a slide show in Windows Media Player.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I don't blame you in the slightest for being bugged about that. Public donation/gift shaming isn't just tacky, IMO. I think it's manipulative at best and approaches bullying at its worst. Things like that are more properly handled with a thoughtfully worded private message.
    The initial announcement that my friend could use money didn't bother me. She quite likely can, and any number of her friends can probably afford at least a few bucks. Letting them know in a single post is not an issue to me. But specifically mentioning it in response to any one person is different.

"You can't erase icing."

Frickin' tic disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I've had that happen, but not from tics--from small children with flailing extremities. (Irene keeps turning on my caps lock with her foot.) When Simon was a year or two old, he kept finding things that our various electronics could do that we hadn't realized, such as turning on a slide show in Windows Media Player.
    For me, it's Kitten on the Keys. One of them managed to turn the display 90 degrees one time. It turns out there's a keyboard shortcut for that that she managed to achieve.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Complaining to the cable company about slow internet speeds.

The tech asked me to plug in the network cable before doing a speed test. The result was horrible. She asked me how far away I was. I said six feet. She took this to mean I was on wifi and ask me to plug in again. So I used a 3 foot cable and plugged in again. The result was worse. She got mad and said that if I wasn't going to follow her instructions, then she couldn't help me. I explained that I had several cable lengths that I could use, between 3 and 300 feet. She didn't have a response and hung up on me.

Ugh. Morons.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.