Page 338 of 359 FirstFirst ... 238288328336337338339340348 ... LastLast
Results 10,111 to 10,140 of 10743

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Wouldn't you love to just set one of those devices next to an iPhone and the Amazon thing and let Google, Siri, and Alexa just fight it out?

Stuff I don't get: Why on earth does anyone want to stick a device in their house so a huge corporation can listen to every word they say?
    Don't you just love it when somebody uses the "N'uh!" defense in adult conversation?
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    No, it doesn't, not quite. "Thought" is like THAWT but "cot" is like CAHT.

"Thought" is different than your other "ough" examples, though.

I'm trying to think of a non-"ough" word that rhymes with "thought," but I'm coming up blank.
    I don't say "cot" that way. It rhymes with "thought" the way I say it (but without a drawn out "W" sound for either). Ah, regional accents...

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Wouldn't you love to just set one of those devices next to an iPhone and the Amazon thing and let Google, Siri, and Alexa just fight it out?

Stuff I don't get: Why on earth does anyone want to stick a device in their house so a huge corporation can listen to every word they say?
    It is good for who are blind.
    To me it is kind of would be fun device to have by far from something I need.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I don't say "cot" that way. It rhymes with "thought" the way I say it (but without a drawn out "W" sound for either). Ah, regional accents...
    Same in much of Scotland. But we have two additional variants of trough - not just rhyming with "off", but also with "ruff" or with "loch" (with a Scottish fricative at the end).

Grant Hutchison

I see some of us haven't caught their cots... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaYZljTlCUo

It's windy and the power has gone out. Again.
    I brought in the old boom box and we're listening to Christmas music because that's the first CD I found.
    We keep LOTS of batteries on hand.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Same in much of Scotland. But we have two additional variants of trough - not just rhyming with "off", but also with "ruff" or with "loch" (with a Scottish fricative at the end).

Grant Hutchison
    Around where I live "trough" is pronounced either as sounding like "tr-off" or like "tr-oh" which rhymes with dough, or as like in the Simpsons - "doh".

In our area people use a lot of slang, mainly the older folk, so anybody from outside the area really struggle to understand a person speaking. Though it is quite noticeable that this old slang language is dying out with each new generation. Often I even have to translate to the younger generation something said by a senior citizen. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to understand the slang yet not particularly use it in conversation. I do find that if I'm talking to an older local I tend to speak in slang.

Last night, I began work on my US income tax return. The program said I could import my wage statement info, rather than manually copy it.

To do so required a “control number” from my form.

After several minutes, I gave up looking for the number, and manually typed the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Like so?

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    In our area people use a lot of slang, mainly the older folk, so anybody from outside the area really struggle to understand a person speaking. Though it is quite noticeable that this old slang language is dying out with each new generation. Often I even have to translate to the younger generation something said by a senior citizen. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to understand the slang yet not particularly use it in conversation. I do find that if I'm talking to an older local I tend to speak in slang.
    I'm the same - my accent broadens and my vocabulary shifts.
    This was a great mystery for foreign colleagues, who find the local dialect impenetrable. I was chatting to an elderly lady in the anaesthetic room one day, and could see that my young Egyptian trainee was looking baffled. Once the patient was anaesthetized, he asked, "What language was that you were speaking? Was it Gaelic?"

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Like so?
    Now I want a little box with a finger that comes out and turns itself off!

These rapid temperature changes have messed up my throat and sinuses. :-(

My doctor called today.

Doctor: How are you feeling?
    Me: Ah... great?
    Doctor: No weakness, muscle pain, etc.?
    Me: Ah... no.
    Doctor: Eating well and exercising?
    Me: I had a salad for lunch and more than 90 minutes of physical activity so far...
    Doctor: Carry on... carry on. See you in six months.

Second time in a month. Since I feel great, better than I have in years, this is getting annoying.
    Solfe

Doctor: You're still alive?
    Me: We spoke on the phone. Yesterday.
    Doctor: Still...

More seriously, I had my bimonthly bloodwork drawn this morning and got poked for an annual TB test. A necessity considering my meds but it still takes a chunk out of the day. I showed up to the lab 5 minutes after they opened and I was still number 5 or 6 in line. Not a bad wait, though. I have to go back for the TB read on Thursday or Friday.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Specifically, the English language use of words with UGH in them. Let's just look at these starting with T and having an O in them, shall we?

TOUGH: Sounds like "tuff", which is also a legit word.
    TROUGH: Rhymes with "off".
    THROUGH: Sounds like "threw".
    THOUGH: Rhymes with "no" or "go".
    THOUGHT: Rhymes with "cot".

And don't get me started on "rhymes".
    Of course, though, tough, through, cough, .... all used to rhyme

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Doctor: You're still alive?
    Me: We spoke on the phone. Yesterday.
    Doctor: Still...

More seriously, I had my bimonthly bloodwork drawn this morning and got poked for an annual TB test. A necessity considering my meds but it still takes a chunk out of the day. I showed up to the lab 5 minutes after they opened and I was still number 5 or 6 in line. Not a bad wait, though. I have to go back for the TB read on Thursday or Friday.
    I had to get poked for TB for my job. A student ran in while the nurse was doing it and she took care of whatever it was he needed. The nurse turned back saw she had poked my shirt sleeve. Not that you are supposed to leave them in, but I figured since she didn't touch my skin, it wasn't that big of a deal.

"Needle" is kind of a stretch for a basic TB test. My blood sugar lancets look bigger and they are 33 gauge. Super tiny.

Back to annoying. I like to mess with my professors. Two semesters ago, I had to give a presentation. I stood up there for a full 60 seconds, then asked if everyone was ready to start. When they all murmured their assent, I put on a robe and pulled out a candle. It got a few chuckles, but not like I expected.

This semester I have a professor that insists we italicize words in foreign languages. It gets a little loopy when the source doesn't do the same, hops languages or uses cliches. Sometimes, I get caught by odd sentences. "The amigos ran up the rivière from the tsunami." Oh-oh.

Just to put in perspective, I am reading an account of a German in Argentina which was translated from German to Spain to English. It's a little weird. For a lot of sentences, my reading comprehension stinks.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I'm the same - my accent broadens and my vocabulary shifts.
    This was a great mystery for foreign colleagues, who find the local dialect impenetrable. I was chatting to an elderly lady in the anaesthetic room one day, and could see that my young Egyptian trainee was looking baffled. Once the patient was anaesthetized, he asked, "What language was that you were speaking? Was it Gaelic?"

Grant Hutchison
    I chuckled at your post.
    My son lives in a village about 4 miles away from me, which is around 2 miles out from the city centre. The postal address of his home comes under the city post code but is just outside the county on the border. Though this village is in close proximity to the city and many of the people who live there have migrated from the city the local dialect, in general, has no distinctive accent like in the city. My son finds it highly amusing how I pronounce words in comparison to himself.
    For example in the city words like -"book" "look" "took" are pronounced so the "oo" sounds like "who" or as in "boo" where as in his village those words are pronounced so the "oo" sounds like a "u", so "look" becomes "luck" and so on...

Years ago there was a machine shop foreman at my company who had such a thick accent I could barely understand him. I thought perhaps he was from Germany. It turned out to be Yorkshire.

About accents I have gotten better at dealing with them over the years. One of the worst accents I had to do deal with was a math prof teaching my first calculus course who was from China also an ex Chem engineer so all his examples were from chemistry. Took a couple more tries to get calculus. A couple of years later I was in a second year version of a calculus course (it counted as the same as the regular course). There was a way of finding a solution to an equation using the quadratic equation. A student asked him after he did an example and asked, " where did you get that equation pointing to quadratic." The prof goes, "You should have learned that in high school maths(or something close to it)."
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

One semester in college I had 2 professors, back to back. One was a Polish woman who had a high-pitched, tittering voice with almost sing-song like patters, in a large echoing room. The other was a Greek man with a deep and resonant voice in a smaller room with a lot of reverb. Both had very accented English, with many incorrect verb tenses and strangely translated idioms. It's a wonder I learned anything in those classes.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

The kids' pediatrician is Chinese. I had a doctor from India for a while, and she had a lovely voice. I miss her.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Well my first year was an introduction to understanding different accents. My dorm had people from China, Hong Kong, Israel, Newfoundland(a coup;e had the an accent), Australia, and England and one lab was taught by a guy from Indian. Plus there was an introduction to samosas at the nearby farmers market. Over they years I have known people from all around the world. One quick type don't play risk with people who all people who spoke a different language then you do.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

When I lived in Germany during the early-to-mid '90s, I was the first and only U.S. member of a German club down in Stuttgart. So, it was either learn the language or get left out a lot. As I made progress, I came to understand more and more of each meeting and presentation...except for one member in particular. After one meeting, a couple of members complimented me on how much my German had improved. I thanked them but admitted I had a long way to go since I couldn't understand Christian. They laughed and explained that he was from the former East Germany and they couldn't understand him, either.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

As a railroad buff I am more bugged than amused by this one. A TV reporter covering the train accident this morning was referring to the debris of the smashed trash truck alongside the tracks. The pictures clearly showed a single-track main line with no passing siding or other secondary trackage in sight. In railroad terminology the entity consisting of a pair of rails spiked to crossties in the roadbed is a track, singular.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    As a railroad buff I am more bugged than amused by this one. A TV reporter covering the train accident this morning was referring to the debris of the smashed trash truck alongside the tracks. The pictures clearly showed a single-track main line with no passing siding or other secondary trackage in sight. In railroad terminology the entity consisting of a pair of rails spiked to crossties in the roadbed is a track, singular.
    Ditto. Two rails, one track. Railroads hace almost as much nomenclaure as ships.

I have a really old Samsung Mobile (Cell) "flip phone" on which I only make a few calls a week and that is used more as a radio for when I walk my dog. It is perfectly satisfactory for my needs - my wife has a fairly new Chinese "clone" Android phone with all the bells & whistles which she loves and we use overseas. However, my phone is only a 2G compatible phone and the last remnants of the old 2G Network are being shut down in April. The 3G & 4G networks are well established and 5 G is just around the corner so I suppose I will have to "move with the times" and get rid of my old trusty phone.

Luckily my wife also has a fairly new Microsoft Windows 3G phone which she never liked but which is good enough for me. The other thing that worries me is that I usually drop my phone at least once a week when I am out with the dog, or on my push bike. The old phone bounces well and the numerous scratches & dents on the case don't worry me. I am not sure how the fancy screen on the newer phone, even in a case & with a stick on screen protector, will stand up to my cavalier ways.

Wouldn't you love to just set one of those devices next to an iPhone and the Amazon thing and let Google, Siri, and Alexa just fight it out? ...
    Or not.

http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2018/02/01
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I have a really old Samsung Mobile (Cell) "flip phone" on which I only make a few calls a week and that is used more as a radio for when I walk my dog. It is perfectly satisfactory for my needs - my wife has a fairly new Chinese "clone" Android phone with all the bells & whistles which she loves and we use overseas. However, my phone is only a 2G compatible phone and the last remnants of the old 2G Network are being shut down in April. The 3G & 4G networks are well established and 5 G is just around the corner so I suppose I will have to "move with the times" and get rid of my old trusty phone.

Luckily my wife also has a fairly new Microsoft Windows 3G phone which she never liked but which is good enough for me. The other thing that worries me is that I usually drop my phone at least once a week when I am out with the dog, or on my push bike. The old phone bounces well and the numerous scratches & dents on the case don't worry me. I am not sure how the fancy screen on the newer phone, even in a case & with a stick on screen protector, will stand up to my cavalier ways.
    I have dropped my phone several times over the past year and no damage to it.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Of course, though, tough, through, cough, .... all used to rhyme
    With what?
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    It's even better if you're aware my name is Bob!