Page 339 of 344 FirstFirst ... 239289329337338339340341 ... LastLast
Results 10,141 to 10,170 of 10307

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    Ditto. Two rails, one track. Railroads hace almost as much nomenclaure as ships.
    ...and just like ship nomenclature and about every other jargon-based set of words, the colloquial doesn't always match up.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I mean, not just the script, because this is according to my friend the archaeologist. Confirmation bias? Maybe, but usually, when there's nothing there, they do see the changes in soil regardless.
    Indeed, you only have to watch a few episodes of Time Team to see the variation in results obtained.
    What looks like a the clear feature of a wall or ditch turns out to be a natural gravel feature or wet clay. Other times the geophys shows nothing at all but they dig and find a feature.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    As a railroad buff I am more bugged than amused by this one. A TV reporter covering the train accident this morning was referring to the debris of the smashed trash truck alongside the tracks. The pictures clearly showed a single-track main line with no passing siding or other secondary trackage in sight. In railroad terminology the entity consisting of a pair of rails spiked to crossties in the roadbed is a track, singular.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall
    Ditto. Two rails, one track. Railroads hace almost as much nomenclaure as ships.
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF
    ...and just like ship nomenclature and about every other jargon-based set of words, the colloquial doesn't always match up.

CJSF
    My educated guess is that colloquial jargon could be an extension of "the wrong side of the tracks", an expression for urban slums that are downwind from major railroad yards which have many tracks alongside the main line.

Don't get me started on news media who refer to ailerons as "flaps".

In other annoying news, I got a recall notice for the airbags on my pickup. Hmm, didn't they just replace those in October? They had. I called the dealer. It has to be done again.
    The dealer is about 40 miles away. Ford ought to reimburse me for my time and mileage. And lunch.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Mom had to go over a hundred km away to get the stuff done to her car and I have not heard from in two hours and usually takes an hour to get home.
    Already back and car unloaded,she just took her time.
    Last edited by astrotimer; 2018-Feb-02 at 08:37 PM.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The dealer is about 40 miles away. Ford ought to reimburse me for my time and mileage. And lunch.
    Actually, you might ask about that. IIRC, there have been recalls from class actions suits where there was compensation like that. Maybe they'll at least throw in an oil change.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

DVD/Blu-ray box sets with the individual discs tucked into cardboard pockets, so there's no way to remove them without getting finger marks on the recorded surface.

Grant Hutchison

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    DVD/Blu-ray box sets with the individual discs tucked into cardboard pockets, so there's no way to remove them without getting finger marks on the recorded surface.

Grant Hutchison
    Omg, that's awful. I took a Battlestar Galactica box set back because of that.

The internet has been up and down all day. Driving me nuts.
    Solfe

Filled cracks in the cladding of my house, painted the filler with a membrane paint for water security, then over the area with the right colour of top coat (of proper outside paint).

Stood out like a sore thumb. Glossy stripes all over the house.

Have spent a few weeks (doing other stuff) thinking I'd got the wrong gloss level, kicking myself, and wondering what's the best way to make it blend in more.

Went in today for some more paint and it turns out I had used the least glossy paint available, it's just the rest of the house is so faded. I'd cleaned the whole place, scrubbing with a good sugar soap, but that didn't help enough.

So no longer kicking myself, but, had to buy a very large bucket of paint - I'll have to bite the bullet and just paint the whole house.

Phooey.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Irene's party was at my best friend's house; she's one of Simon's three godmothers. My mother had "too many obligations." My sister thought she would be able to be there but couldn't, with no further explanation. One of Irene's godmothers had to work. Another lives in another state and her car insurance has expired. Then last night, another of Simon's godmothers had major automotive issues. Graham's brother discovered at some point that his plumbing was leaking to the tune of 1000 gallons a day from an unseen leak. The plumber said he'd be there at ten, and since the party was at two, no problem! Until the plumber was several hours late.

In good news, the plumbing issue will cost $3000 less than he was afraid it would. We'll get together with the kids' cousin another day. And my best friend had a reason to clean her house, which she's been looking for but not making the time for. And she and I got to hang out mostly alone with the kids--her significant other, until he reached his limit on kids (he doesn't like them) and hid, and Graham when he got off work until he ended up taking a nap on the couch.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Somethings been bugging me ever since I read that message, how do you sleep thru 4 years olds birthday party?
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Somethings been bugging me ever since I read that message, how do you sleep thru 4 years olds birthday party?
    I knew someone who slept through the creeping barrage at Monte Cassino. You just need to be tired enough.

Grant Hutchison

He didn't. He slept through a one-year-old's birthday party. The only kids there were his own. Besides, he's in the Army Reserves and has practice sleeping through things.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Sorry for the mix up.
    (I know I wished Irene happy birthday earlier I just had a brain fart)
    Last edited by astrotimer; 2018-Feb-04 at 06:04 PM.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

I knew someone who slept through the creeping barrage at Monte Cassino. You just need to be tired enough.

Grant Hutchison
    Covering the Alert Five fighters on the flightdeck requires you being present, but not necessarily awake.

I've seen men sleep through a maintenance turn of an adjacent Tomcat, without hearing protection, as both engines spun up to 125 Db each. Done it myself numerous times.

Yet the same men literally spring into action the moment GOD calls away the Alert Five and then go about their jobs launching the aircraft.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Grant Hutchison
    Yesterday I was so tired fighting off this cold that I slept... well, not exactly slept, but I just laid in bed half-asleep with my eyes closed even though workmen were knocking down a wall on the floor above me, because I knew anything like sleep would help and I was too tired to do anything else.

Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Of course, the company itself disapproves of people using "Lego" or "Legos" instead of "Lego blocks/bricks" as the plural.

My wife and I went in for flu shots last Friday.

I called our doctor's office Monday and said we needed to come in Friday for flu shots. The receptionist said she'd notify the nurse and she'd call back. After two hours waiting, I called again. The receptionist said she'd notify the nurse and she'd call back. After two hours waiting, I called again. (No, that's not a mistaken duplicate, that's a second call.) The receptionist said she'd notify the nurse and she'd call back. About an hour later, the nurse called. She said she'd only gotten one message to call us.

The nurse said this would be a nurse's visit. All we needed to do was come by any time after ten.

Wednesday the nurse called and asked why we didn't show on her appointments schedule. We weren't told to make appointments, just drop in. No, we needed appointments, and she transferred me to the receptionist. Who told me we just needed to drop in, no appointment needed.

Except for me. I hadn't seen the doctor since last August so I needed to be seen again. My wife saw him in December and did not. So I made an appointment to see the doctor. (I saw him in August for an annual exam and was deemed healthy; I needed to be seen again. She saw him in December with a sinus infection; she was good to go for a flu shot. I'm sure there is some logic here somewhere.)

We went in Friday at ten. The nurse called both of us back at the same time and gave us our shots. Then the doctor came in and listened to my heart and lungs. Fortunately he didn't decide I needed to be unvaccinated.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The top "news story" at the Google news website is that the Echo Dot is on sale.

Couldn't they be a little more subtle with their advertising?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The top "news story" at the Google news website is that the Echo Dot is on sale.

Couldn't they be a little more subtle with their advertising?
    Why should they be different than more traditional news sources? I can't tell you how many times I've seen the local affiliate of a network have a news story about the finalists of American Idol, or something similar, which just happened to on the network feed that night.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I have a set of square 'kokin style' neutral density filters that came like that. Smears every time you use one.
    I junked their 'wallet' and got a new one off ebay that lets me take them out without leaving smears
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

My pharmacy fills my scripts for lancets and test strips. I get 25 test strips at a time and 100 lancets "per month". They are obviously math challenged. What really annoys me is they actually fill the "monthly" scripts every 21 days. When I arrive, they act annoyed that I show up 9 days "early". The morning I am supposed to go get them, they don't open until after I go to work. Usually by the time I get there, I have 2 phone messages and 3 texts for each script.

I am pretty mellow about the whole thing, however I can picture a goodly number of people in the exact same situation and can't imagine all of them being so calm. I've yet to see someone flip on them for this reason, but I bet it is a daily occurrence. Ah... technology vs. poor planning vs. other technology.

I am tracking all of this in a spreadsheet that really helps, but it also makes me aware that the test strips fail 2 in 25 times. That low level of quality control kind of annoys me. It wouldn't be so bad if I received 100 strips and 100 lancets. It would be less obvious and wouldn't push me up against the wall where I have only 1-2 "extra" strips per cycle but 75 extra lancets.
    Solfe

Today I walked across a road junction while the pedestrian "stop" sign was showing. I do it a lot at this particular junction, because I know that if I can see an empty street and a red traffic light in my ten o'clock position, I won't be surprised by traffic (or present a surprise to traffic).

So halfway across I hear a child's voice say, "Daddy, why did that man not wait for the green light?" (Damn. I actually try not to do this sort of thing when there are kids about, but I hadn't noticed this child.)
    The father gives me a hard stare, clutches his son to him, and says, "Because he's an idiot," clearly and distinctly so that I can hear.
    Well, OK. So I give the father a rueful and apologetic smile, acknowledging that I have been unhelpful to his child-rearing agenda.
    And he continues with the hard stare, turning to his head to follow me, and repeats loudly, "He. Is. An. Idiot."

Now, I don't know this guy's story. Maybe he lost a child who crossed at the red light. It's fine if he wants to take a verbal pop at me for failing in my civic duty.
    But what he seemed to be teaching his son at that moment was that it's a fine idea to publicly insult large, fierce-looking men (and for all my obvious smooth urbanity, I am a large, fierce-looking man when my face is in repose). And, to be honest, in this city you're probably safer doing a bit of judicious jaywalking than you are insulting random strangers, even in broad daylight in a crowded street.

I guess it bugs me because I clearly caused this situation, but I don't know why it turned into so much of a situation.

Grant Hutchison

Every once and a while I try to find some old friends on the internet. There are a few a can't find, one I talked to his family and found out he really does not want to go the net.

One I can't find is a friend I knew from grade 7 to 11, he left at the end of grade of 11 because of bullying I think. Ran into him once a couple of years later, Have you seen a scene where 2 kids are looking for the same classroom and can't find it and become friends, that was us. Most of time we discussed evolution vs. creation.

Another I meant at university, we were in the same fortran class and he was a member of the physics society. He noticed in between classes I had no where to go and invented to join. Also when they needed someone to the telescope tours there he sowed what to do there.
    Last edited by astrotimer; 2018-Feb-06 at 05:38 PM.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Every once and a while I try to fond some old friends on the internet.
    I like that. A sort of milder form of the "Like" button. "I fonded him on Facebook once, but he's never fonded me back."

Grant Hutchison

oops typo i'll correct.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Wait. You aren't fond of your friends?
    (sigh)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I like that. A sort of milder form of the "Like" button. "I fonded him on Facebook once, but he's never fonded me back."

Grant Hutchison
    Just don't accidentally put an 'l' in there...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn