Page 296 of 313 FirstFirst ... 196246286294295296297298306 ... LastLast
Results 8,851 to 8,880 of 9379

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

No worries; no fouls. There are plenty of things I have issues with too. For example, people who say "the point is mute".
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by msollot View Post
    Well, apparently spelling is the really trivial stuff that bugs you. However, in this case, my use of "thru" is correct.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/through-thru/

Thru vs. Through—Which Is Right?

Marko Ticak · Language

Through can be a preposition, an adjective, and an adverb.
    Through is the only formally accepted spelling of the word.
    Thru is an alternate spelling that should be used only in informal writing or when referring to drive-throughs.
    It doesn't exist in British English.
    The latest edition of Fowler's says
    The spelling has a history of its own in the 20c. in American spelling reform circles, but the American public have rejected it except in informal circumstances (private letters, memos, etc.) and in the traffic term thru-way (=expressway).
    That sort of construction from Butterfield (who edits the current edition of Fowler) suggests that feelings run high on the topic, which as a Brit I find interesting, because we think of it as a pretty standard Americanism.
    (My wife and I have always pronounced it "thruh" for our own amusement. But at least twice I've said it that way while in America, which is embarassing.)

Grant Hutchison

Today got two automated calls over the fix to the internet, the first one telling me they tested the line and it is working and the other was a survey on how well they did handling the situation.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Internet ads seem to have taken a liking to the phrase "will make your jaw drop".

It got annoying very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

When sight reading sacred choral music, the words through and though look distressingly alike. This is complicated by the poetic and musical liberties with sentence structure that sometimes make it hard to tell them apart by context, along with the challenge of reading the words and the notes simultaneously. I like to write in thru and tho as visual aids.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    It doesn't exist in British English.
    The latest edition of Fowler's saysThat sort of construction from Butterfield (who edits the current edition of Fowler) suggests that feelings run high on the topic, which as a Brit I find interesting, because we think of it as a pretty standard Americanism.
    (My wife and I have always pronounced it "thruh" for our own amusement. But at least twice I've said it that way while in America, which is embarassing.)

Grant Hutchison
    I'm sure the French make fun of the Canadian's colloquialisms.

BTW, to CJSF - I finally figured out why you think my feathers were ruffled. because my reply said

"Well, apparently spelling is the really trivial stuff that bugs you."

When I referred to really trivial stuff, I was referring to the subject of this particular topic. I wasn't upset, and I hope I didn't come off as a jerk.
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

I just read today that MLB is no longer going to require the pitcher to throw four pitches out of the strike zone when intentionally walking a batter - they will be able to just indicate that they want to walk the batter, and he'll take first base.

I once actually saw a game in which, while delivering an intentional walk in the bottom of the ninth of a tie game with a runner on third, the pitcher threw* a wild pitch and lost the game. Doesn't happen very often, but it bugs me that it will never happen again.

* I was so tempted to type "thru" there...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

And it saves, what, 90 seconds every other game? Please...

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

First they don't have to bat, and now they don't have to pitch. Can I join the pitcher's union?

IMHO, The pitcher should have to suffer the embarrassment of the intentional walk. (Even if it is a strategically correct move).

No worries; no fouls. There are plenty of things I have issues with too. For example, people who say "the point is mute".
    Ugh. I had a boss who did that in virtually every conversation.

In other trivia, we had an "interesting" night. First, my finely tuned ears picked up the sound of a cat barfing up a hairball. I had to get up and turn on a light so I could clean it up because it was right where my wife would have stepped on it on her way to the bathroom. Next, the same cat took a leap off the headboard and accidentally clawed me in the back. My wife had to get up and turn on a light to make sure I wasn't bleeding on the sheets. Finally, a Dalek entered the room and said "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!" At 3:30 AM. That's my wife's text notification. A relative in Alabama, where it's three hours later, had decided he just had to send her pictures of how cute his little girl was on her way to school.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

"Moot."

I knew a woman who'd say "blase, blase, blase" when she meant "blah blah blah" instead.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    "Moot."
    Joey: It's a moo point.
    Rachel: Huh. A moo point?
    Joey: Yeah. It's like a cow's opinion - it just doesn't matter.
    Rachel: Is it just me, or did that actually make sense?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    ... I once actually saw a game in which, while delivering an intentional walk in the bottom of the ninth of a tie game with a runner on third, the pitcher threw* a wild pitch and lost the game. Doesn't happen very often, but it bugs me that it will never happen again.
    And there have been instances of a batter reaching across the plate and successfully hitting a pitch that wasn't far enough outside.

Make 'em pitch!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    And there have been instances of a batter reaching across the plate and successfully hitting a pitch that wasn't far enough outside.

Make 'em pitch!
    Perhaps we can just have NL pitchers call for an intentional strikeout when they're up, to save time.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I just read today that MLB is no longer going to require the pitcher to throw four pitches out of the strike zone when intentionally walking a batter - they will be able to just indicate that they want to walk the batter, and he'll take first base.

I once actually saw a game in which, while delivering an intentional walk in the bottom of the ninth of a tie game with a runner on third, the pitcher threw* a wild pitch and lost the game. Doesn't happen very often, but it bugs me that it will never happen again.

* I was so tempted to type "thru" there...
    The intentional walk has always been an easy target for those desiring to speed up the game. Now, while I agree that games should be faster, the intentional walk is a drop in the bucket (mixed metaphor). Said strategy usually happens at critical points in the game, where it prolongs the tension and gives the opposing team's fans four chances to jeer and boo. Yes, there have been cases when the pitcher came in too close and the potential walker managed to hit the ball, but you'd have to watch a thousand intentional walks (that's 4,000 wide ones) to see that happen. And you can bet that the catcher will just set up a bit farther out the next time.

So ... I really don't care.

It is suspected that managers sometimes do call for intentional strikeouts when sending their pitcher up to bat. He'll likely strike out even if trying not to, and if the guy does manage to make contact, it'll be a dribbler in the infield and a double play. Also, having your pitcher on base and having to run towards second while the batter hits foul balls won't do anything for his pitching game.

I could express my views on the DH rule, but board rules severely limit religious topics.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I could express my views on the DH rule, but board rules severely limit religious topics.

You know what I'd change about the DH? When you have interleague games, play under the visiting team's rules. Let the AL fans see their pitchers try to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    People who use double negatives tend to irritate me greatly. For instance, a couple of weeks ago I was messing the reclining mechanism on one of the seats in the boat and I couldn't get it to go back right. My dad finally fixes it and says, "Son, don't never do that again!" Technically, that meant I am supposed to that again.
    well, maybe that is what he really meant. He needs something to fix, so you better mess it up again!!!

Something that ticks me when watching the news. People who bring other people down to make themselves look better. I thought people - especially lawyers or those in politics would know better than to commit fallacy of ad hominem.

Quote Originally Posted by noodleepee View Post
    People who bring other people down to make themselves look better. I thought people - especially lawyers or those in politics would know better than to commit fallacy of ad hominem.
    If your job is to win arguments rather than be right, fallacy is your friend.
    Lawyers and politicians would be out of a job but for the convincing use of fallacious reasoning.

Grant Hutchison

Dr. Grant. back when I was in the Navy we used to say "if you're guilty of a crime you want a civilian trial, if you're innocent you want a military trial."

The reason being at the time military trials sought to find out "what happened". Guilt- or innocence then falls out from there.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

"Hey buddy! My eyes are up here!" - Medusa

I like Erasure's music, I hate all Erasure videos. They are weird for the sake of being weird and they tend to make me vaguely dizzy. This is a strange love-hate thing, because I've seen every video.

Its not like I'm expecting something different, I think I am interested in what sort of story the band wanted to tell with the song. Music videos are hardly consistent with the lyrics, but still it interests me.

*Edit - I lied. Today, I found the video for Take a Chance on Me. Not only hadn't I seen it before, it was interesting and amusing.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2017-Mar-04 at 05:48 PM.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I like Erasure's music, I hate all Erasure videos. They are weird for the sake of being weird and they tend to make me vaguely dizzy. This is a strange love-hate thing, because I've seen every video.

Its not like I'm expecting something different, I think I am interested in what sort of story the band wanted to tell with the song. Music videos are hardly consistent with the lyrics, but still it interests me.

*Edit - I lied. Today, I found the video for Take a Chance on Me. Not only hadn't I seen it before, it was interesting and amusing.
    Somewhat similar issue with the Foo Fighters.

I like their videos, but I would also like to watch them play their instruments. You can't do that because every single video of them on the late night talk shows the band is so strung out from partying after their gigs they can barely open their eyes!

Twice I've seen Dave Grohl preform on the Jimmy Fallon Show in clothes he obviously slept in. And the rest of the band had that distinct hung over "Oh Jesus, let this end!" thing as they were in just as bad a shape.

It's on you-tube, just not labeled that way.

For some reason I'm reminded of Not The Nine O'Clock News, and their lampooning of pretentious 1980s bands with "Nice Video, Shame About The Song".

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by noodleepee View Post
    well, maybe that is what he really meant. He needs something to fix, so you better mess it up again!!!
    As the double negative is a net positive, the trick is to use a triple negative.

"Don't never do that again ... nohow!"

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    For some reason I'm reminded of Not The Nine O'Clock News, and their lampooning of pretentious 1980s bands with "Nice Video, Shame About The Song".

Grant Hutchison
    That about hits the nail on the head. "The Warrior", for example, is quite a good song, but the video of mutants fighting... how much did they even spend on make-up?

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    That about hits the nail on the head. "The Warrior", for example, is quite a good song, but the video of mutants fighting... how much did they even spend on make-up?
    I think it was a deliberate homage to the film The Warriors.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright
    "It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

This is probably proof of my immaturity and I mean no offense to Mr. Ellison, but I'm reading The Billionaire and the Mechanic at the moment and I kind of wish the author had called him by his last name like most of the other characters just because... Larry is kind of a funny name, especially when it's repeated a lot. Everyone else is getting called by their last names and then it's "Larry said", "Larry was upset", "Larry thought about it", etc. Larry, Larry, Larry. It's really not that funny at all but I find it funny.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2017-Mar-04 at 11:08 PM.

Being given an impossible task by managers who know ahead of time you'll just be shoveling poop against the tide.

This was when I was moving furniture.

"Don, we got a new employee. He's the brother of the executive secretary so we'd like you to try and keep the younger workers from making fun of his name."

Out of the blue one bright spring morning.

"You know I have to work with furniture movers, right?"

Was my first reply. Before I even heard the name. The boss's secretary was from Indonesia so my head spun with possibilities.

"Okay, what is it?"

"Dong"

I winced a bit but since all the older movers like myself enforce a no vulgarities in the shipper's house rule on the younger movers as a matter of course. This wasn't going to be as hard as some of you might think. "Watch your mouth! This isn't a bar!" Isn't an uncommon phrase in moving.

"Okay, what's his last name?"

"Khee"

"You know I have to work with furniture movers, right?"

Miss Kai, are we talking Harlan Ellison?

The most accurate quote about Harlan Ellison was when one renowned author who's name I dearly wish I could remember right now, (Clev help!) described Harlan Ellison as a;

"Morbid, overbearing little "poop"."

Mr. Ellison later agreed with this assessment in another interview later in his life.