Page 298 of 300 FirstFirst ... 198248288296297298299300 LastLast
Results 8,911 to 8,940 of 8988

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    You sure can use the Internet well for someone who's been dead for thousands of years.
    Died but shook it off.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Is this a new bug in Windows my computer clock just jumped an hour ahead, I lost a whole hour.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost

http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kennewick Man View Post
    Died but shook it off.

I'm an archaeology major, I couldn't resist the joke. ;-)

Tonight the pipes seem to freeze about once an hour.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost

http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    This happens so much that I now select everything except the last period of the section then doing the cut or move function leaving that last period behind. It's worth the extra step and avoided frustration to add the period back to the new location and delete it from the previous one.

Yeah, I do that quite a lot as well.

Still annoying why Word does that.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Yeah, I do that quite a lot as well.

Still annoying why Word does that.
    Microsoft knows what you want better than you do. For example, this W10 computer knows I want to see annoying advertisements dished up by my operating system.

In other news, somebody stole an hour's sleep from me last night, and it's all dark now where it was light at this time yesterday.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Microsoft knows what you want better than you do. For example, this W10 computer knows I want to see annoying advertisements dished up by my operating system.

In other news, somebody stole an hour's sleep from me last night, and it's all dark now where it was light at this time yesterday.
    I'm annoyed that I apparently have to pay an annual fee for MS Office Suite on a new computer. Causing me to stay with my older system.

I'm again annoyed by those tiny pins that hold together the components of some wristwatch bracelets. You have to perform microsurgery to get them in place, and they always end up as tiny harpoons anyway.Used to be that if you bought a new watchband at Target or Wal-Mart, the counter person could install it for you. However, last few tries he or she was as bad with it as I, and I had to seek out a jeweler to do it.

I really have to shop around for a watch with old-fashioned strapping next time. (However, it seems that those kind wear out in a few months.)

No one, but two news announcers last night announced "the end of winter and the beginning of summer" with the commencement of DST.

Same station at different times.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

"Honk! Honk-honk honkity-honk!" - Marx
    (Harpo, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

Yes, that's terrible. Not trivial either.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I'm again annoyed by those tiny pins that hold together the components of some wristwatch bracelets. You have to perform microsurgery to get them in place, and they always end up as tiny harpoons anyway.Used to be that if you bought a new watchband at Target or Wal-Mart, the counter person could install it for you. However, last few tries he or she was as bad with it as I, and I had to seek out a jeweler to do it.

I really have to shop around for a watch with old-fashioned strapping next time. (However, it seems that those kind wear out in a few months.)
    I've had a lot of success by grinding off the "sharp" end of one out of a cheap set of "jewelers screwdrivers". Provided a great poker-with-handle for dealing with watch strap pins.

I'm annoyed that I apparently have to pay an annual fee for MS Office Suite on a new computer. Causing me to stay with my older system.

Just get the new system if you need it. If it comes with a "free" (yeah, right) year of office 365, just use it. Buy an individual copy of Office (i.e. not 365) after that year if you want it.

(The "annual fee" is for Office 365 which works by subscription. You can still buy stand-alone versions of Office.)

Or, there are plenty of free alternatives that are good for most stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I've had a lot of success by grinding off the "sharp" end of one out of a cheap set of "jewelers screwdrivers". Provided a great poker-with-handle for dealing with watch strap pins.
    My latest watch came packaged with a little two-inch pick, presumably for this purpose (no instructions provided). It still wasn't easy to work with!

https://www.openoffice.org/
    https://www.libreoffice.org/
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Man, Office is making you do that, too? I tried getting a new version of Photoshop because my old one wasn't compatible with my laptop after I upgraded it from Snow Leopard to Yosemite and was told I'd have to buy it again every year for a steep price. Can't these things just stay bought?

Man, Office is making you do that, too? ...
    No, it's not.

... and was told I'd have to buy it again every year for a steep price. Can't these things just stay bought?
    Yes, they can.

Man, Office is making you do that, too? I tried getting a new version of Photoshop because my old one wasn't compatible with my laptop after I upgraded it from Snow Leopard to Yosemite and was told I'd have to buy it again every year for a steep price. Can't these things just stay bought?
    Don't know about Photoshop. I was told this about Office by a salesperson but he was apparently mistaken (thankfully). Another annoyance; don't trust the product expertise of sales persons just because they are wearing a badge touting that vendor's insignia.

I wasn't aware there was a "just stayed bought" version of PhotoShop now. Last I knew, they went full-on subscription model. It's more an issue at work than here. The big bosses won't shell out for the newer versions because of it. At home, CS3 still works, but I really could use some of the newer and updated tools.

CJSF
    "There has been a spacecraft sighted, flying high above the sky! Sirens declare there's one among us from Venus!
    Volunteers! We need volunteers! Soldiers to meet them. Have no fear! Have no fear! You will be killed right away."
    -They Might Be Giants, "For Science"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I wasn't aware there was a "just stayed bought" version of PhotoShop now. Last I knew, they went full-on subscription model. It's more an issue at work than here. The big bosses won't shell out for the newer versions because of it. At home, CS3 still works, but I really could use some of the newer and updated tools.

CJSF
    I don't think there is-- the version (from 2010) that I had on my laptop was, but it wasn't compatible once I upgraded the software, so I was told I had to get a new version and according to the campus IT department, the new ones are all subscription-only.

There is buy outright model when I looked. I chose the subscription to avoid the up front cost. Also subscription came with a terabyte of OneDrive. I'm okay for 60 per year.

Yes, we bought basic Photoshop Elements 15 this year, packaging copyright notice 2016.
    The Creative Cloud versions (Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC) are the ones you pay rental for.

Grant Hutchison

Yes, that's the problem. For work "elements" won't cut it. At home, I'd likely be fine, but since I am so familiar with actual PS, using "elements" would bug me to no end. But first world problems, as they say.

CJSF
    "There has been a spacecraft sighted, flying high above the sky! Sirens declare there's one among us from Venus!
    Volunteers! We need volunteers! Soldiers to meet them. Have no fear! Have no fear! You will be killed right away."
    -They Might Be Giants, "For Science"

lonelybirder.org

I am apparently incapable of getting Simon to the bus without being paranoid that we've missed it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Servers that take your order without writing anything down then getting it wrong. Last time this happened, my spouse smiled and said to the server "This is pretty close to what I ordered; I would have probably forgotten most of it."

If you have a fire hazard or need to have a fire extinguisher handy, please listen because I had to explain this to customers over and over and over. Clients would call us and complain that their fire extinguisher didn't work. Now new extinguishers can leak down but most of the time we found out that the client at some time in the past "tested" the fire extinguisher, "just a squirt" and put it back. You can not do this with a dry chemical fire extinguisher because when you depress the operating valve the dry chemical flows over the valve and slightly adheres to it. The pressure gauge is still in the green when you put it back but will leak down over time. This was especially bad with boat owners who would in playing with the extinguisher while outing use it, again "just a squirt", put it back and then later when the engine fire happens find out they have no working fire extinguisher and lose the boat.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

Good tip. I presume the only test for that kind of fire extinguisher is to check the gauge? Plus a visual inspection of the nozzle, etc. That's all the label on my FE says to do.

Yes, good advice - and not trivial at all.

Speaking of valves, I once took the advice of a TV host, and tested the pressure relief valve on my water heater. The next day, I replaced it...drip, drip, drip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Really trivial stuff that bugs me.

The TV commercials that have to point out that "six is greater than 1". Really? How many people in this country can't figure that out on their own?

Or any commercial that says something is 300% cheaper (whatever their number is). Because people can't figure out what 1/3 means.
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

They have to say that. Six isn't better than one, but it is greater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Servers that take your order without writing anything down then getting it wrong. Last time this happened, my spouse smiled and said to the server "This is pretty close to what I ordered; I would have probably forgotten most of it."

A lot of places do that with three or less customers as a way to filter out wait staff with addiction issues.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

"Honk! Honk-honk honkity-honk!" - Marx
    (Harpo, not the other one.)