Page 299 of 310 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309 ... LastLast
Results 8,941 to 8,970 of 9274

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by msollot View Post
    The TV commercials that have to point out that "six is greater than 1". Really? How many people in this country can't figure that out on their own?

Or any commercial that says something is 300% cheaper (whatever their number is). Because people can't figure out what 1/3 means.
    I saw a TV commercial for a weight loss program that said, "Lose up to 12 pounds - guaranteed!" Seems like the only way that "guarantee" could fail would be if you lost more than 12 pounds.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I'm taking a class that requires a bit of typing in Spanish, so I switched to an international keyboard. It is slowly driving me mad as my quote mark button is now dedicated to accents. On the upside, people can actually read what I write in Spanish, so there is an upside.

(Heavily edited for really bad typos.)
    Last edited by Solfe; 2017-Mar-17 at 10:33 AM.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    A lot of places do that with three or less customers as a way to filter out wait staff with addiction issues.
    Please explain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Please explain.

A lot of bar restaurants started this as a way of foiling cocaine/oxy/vicodin use in their wait staff. THIS came about with the hiking of the minimum wage to $15 an hour AND the requirement for health insurance in a normally transient employment circles.

If you can't keep three orders in your head you're doing too much coke.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Emperor Ming; "Klytus I'm bored. What plaything can you offer me today?"
    General Klytus; "An obscure body in the S-K system, your Majesty. Its inhabitants call it..."Earth".

That sounds awfully dubious. I know any number of clean, sober, and competent people who would be hard pressed to remember that sort of stuff.

CJSF
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

CJ, then you still don't want to pay them 15 an hour to wait tables if they can't float three orders in their head.

General Klytus; "An obscure body in the S-K system, your Majesty. Its inhabitants call it..."Earth".

CJ, then you still don't want to pay them 15 an hour to wait tables if they can't float three orders in their head.
    You also don't want to eat at a restaurant where your orders being accurately filled depends on the owner playing at social experiments with the wait staff.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright
    "It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    You also don't want to eat at a restaurant where your orders being accurately filled depends on the owner playing at social experiments with the wait staff.
    So trying not to go broke is now playing at social experimentation? No, the social experimentation was the people passing laws trying to make waiting tables at a Denny's a viable career choice.

So trying not to go broke is now playing at social experimentation? No, the social experimentation was the people passing laws trying to make waiting tables at a Denny's a viable career choice.
    Give me someone who is patient, considerate, and understands that every order is not a "number 3 with blue cheese" any day. I doubt many of the 40-somethings taking my order are making this a career by "choice."

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

So trying not to go broke is now playing at social experimentation?
    And they honestly think asking the waiters not to write down orders is going to save them? It's a test to see what works. Hence the term experimentation. I could also have said "crapshoot" with equal accuracy.

ADDED: Customers won't care, if you mess up their orders all they'll remember is that you messed up their orders.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2017-Mar-17 at 09:08 PM.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright
    "It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

"Write it down " . Yes .Welcome, the food service person who writes it down. Too often , people make changes to their initial decision,
    (always an invitation to trouble ). " Oh,I didn't know they had that! Make mine that as well, only....." . We've all been there.
    It's difficult to take an order with several 'refinements' added to it. On paper, it's easy to change, with accuracy the reward.
    Low effort. Low risk. High reward

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    "Write it down " . Yes .Welcome, the food service person who writes it down. Too often , people make changes to their initial decision,
    (always an invitation to trouble ). " Oh,I didn't know they had that! Make mine that as well, only....." . We've all been there.
    It's difficult to take an order with several 'refinements' added to it. On paper, it's easy to change, with accuracy the reward.
    Low effort. Low risk. High reward
    All my life I've noted -- when I got a look -- that waiters' little notepads had ruled lines and boxes for things like appetizer, main course, dessert, apertif, whatever.

Yet, every one I ever encountered would scribble right over the whole little page with their own code for whatever it was.

I've always wished that I could fill out a form myself, or enter the order into a terminal. Just to make sure they get it right.

(You have no idea how difficult it is to order a chopped steak without gravy on it. It seems as if a negative mention is dangerous, as they'll think you want it.)

When I was a kid, waiting tables was something I did to get thru college. Back then, it was considered a temporary job. In today's service economy, roughly 25% of those making minimum wage are 30 or older and working at least 1 full time job.
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

And the increased minimum wage up here still doesn't bring it up to the cost of living and didn't cause the dramatic price increases alarmists insist would happen. And making sure your servers have health care and sick days helps ensure that they don't, say, shed virus all over you and your food, something I would think sensible people would support.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    And the increased minimum wage up here still doesn't bring it up to the cost of living and didn't cause the dramatic price increases alarmists insist would happen. And making sure your servers have health care and sick days helps ensure that they don't, say, shed virus all over you and your food, something I would think sensible people would support.
    Political issues. Out of bounds. Don't, please.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

[Deleted in the light of moderator comment above]

Ah yes. Those inconvenient facts ruining the conversation again.

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

I've been working at a lab bench whose anti-static system keeps insisting my wrist strap is disconnected.
    I need to get some skin moisturizer, or run up and down the stairs a few times to work up a sweat.

I've been working at a lab bench whose anti-static system keeps insisting my wrist strap is disconnected.
    I need to get some skin moisturizer, or run up and down the stairs a few times to work up a sweat.

You could lick your wrist.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I will neither confirm nor deny having tried this.

I stumbled across a very specific and creepy painting/image of a monkey with baby bottles (including a wild headdress with a bottle in the middle) online last night. I can no longer find the thing in any search method I've tried. But now I have to purge the hundreds of OTHER creepy monkey paintings I've seen out of my mind!

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

Faulty machines telling me I'm at fault then having to go to the people who built or has been given responsibility for such faulty machines and listen to them go through a regimen of faulty prewritten menu choices which is designed to delay the customer from discovering that the faulty machine was indeed at fault. It just makes me want to don a Fawkes mask.
    Last edited by DukePaul; 2017-Mar-20 at 01:20 PM.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

The self-checkout system at the store argues with the chip-card reader about which is supposed to do something. Can take 10 or 15 seconds for them to figure it out.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by DukePaul View Post
    Faulty machines telling me I'm at fault then having to go to the people who built or has been given responsibility for such faulty machines and listen to them go through a regimen of faulty prewritten menu choices which is designed to delay the customer from discovering that the faulty machine was indeed at fault. It just makes me want to don a Fawkes mask.
    It makes you want to put the machine into a machine breaker hold ......where you take an aluminum baseball bat and beat the machine
    over and over and over and over and...... ( Office Space )

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The self-checkout system at the store argues with the chip-card reader about which is supposed to do something. Can take 10 or 15 seconds for them to figure it out.
    That should just be a network tuning issue. But if that doesn't work, I agree with danscope.

It makes you want to put the machine into a machine breaker hold ......where you take an aluminum baseball bat and beat the machine
    over and over and over and over and...... ( Office Space )
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I'm a firm believer in staples.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

And more on topic ...

My company just upgraded (I think) to MS Outlook on the company provided cell phones. That download went well.

They also upgraded to a new Skype mobile version. I was told to download it from the company app store. I tried repeatedly with no success; the Install button wouldn't work. I Chatted with IT. "Did you? Did you? Did you?" "Yes. Yes. Yes." "Well, try the iTunes App Store."

That downloaded flawlessly.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Me: I'll have a large coffee with room for cream.
    Starbucks Employee: It's called a Venti.
    Me: Venti is Italian for 20.
    Starbucks Employee: Yeah, it's a 20 ounce cup of coffee.
    Me: Italy has been on the metric system for like a century. I'll have a large coffee with room for cream.
    Starbucks Employee: Can we not do this again?
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

There was a ad a while back that made fun of Starbucks' sizing, referring to it as"Fretalian", for a strange mix of French and Italian.

Edited to remove a word that the bbs thinks is offensive.

Last edited by Extravoice; 2017-Mar-22 at 12:23 PM.

I don't go into coffee chains unless I'm forced to by social circumstances or an urgent need for wifi. I have no idea what anything on the menu is, or any interest in finding out. I just say, "What's the nearest thing you've got to a small white coffee?" and wait to be disappointed.
    How can they keep shifting all those expensive novelty options while not being able to actually make a decent cup of coffee?

Grant Hutchison