Page 385 of 387 FirstFirst ... 285335375383384385386387 LastLast
Results 11,521 to 11,550 of 11598

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Two things from tonight's TV viewing:
    1) Characters who order "Scotch" in a bar. After which, without discussion, the bartender gives them "Scotch". Is that actually possible? And would you drink it?
    2) Characters who fire the last shot from their automatic handgun, and then turn the weapon sideways to gawp at the locked-open slide in disbelief/annoyance. That's just a bad choice of camera angle.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Two things from tonight's TV viewing:
    1) Characters who order "Scotch" in a bar. After which, without discussion, the bartender gives them "Scotch". Is that actually possible? And would you drink it?
    2) Characters who fire the last shot from their automatic handgun, and then turn the weapon sideways to gawp at the locked-open slide in disbelief/annoyance. That's just a bad choice of camera angle.

Grant Hutchison
    I'm sure that there is "bar Scotch", just as there's "bar vodka". The sort of folks who order it that way (in real life) aren't going to notice. On
    TV, they're just saving time. I wouldn't drink it anyway as I don't drink hard liquor.
    As for 2, the one I notice is the characters who've been holding someone at gunpoint for several minutes then rack the slide for emphasis, not ejecting a round. So they've been holding someone with a gun not ready to fire.
    For a time, Doctor Who seemed obsessed with the clink of expended shell casings. They even had one when Captain Jack shot someone ... with a revolver.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I SHOULD be down at the fitness center on the exercise bike. Instead I'm drinking coffee and wasting time on the internet because I was too lazy to scrape the frost off the windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I'm sure that there is "bar Scotch", just as there's "bar vodka". The sort of folks who order it that way (in real life) aren't going to notice. On TV, they're just saving time.
    Oh yes - they'll have some sort of inoffensive-to-unpleasant blend as their cheapest (or perhaps even only) option. But there's supposed to be a dialogue about it. Even in the stabbiest of pubs hereabouts, the bartender would at least name the blend in a questioning (and perhaps slightly threatening) tone before serving.
    If you're a regular who always drinks the lowest common denominator, I can kind of see it working. But a new customer? Not unless you've walked into a Wild West saloon.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Oh yes - they'll have some sort of inoffensive-to-unpleasant blend as their cheapest (or perhaps even only) option. But there's supposed to be a dialogue about it. Even in the stabbiest of pubs hereabouts, the bartender would at least name the blend in a questioning (and perhaps slightly threatening) tone before serving.
    If you're a regular who always drinks the lowest common denominator, I can kind of see it working. But a new customer? Not unless you've walked into a Wild West saloon.

Grant Hutchison
    I'm stubbornly proud that I have no idea at all what you are talking about. But I am stubbornly curious. There isn't just "Scotch"? From the context, I am getting that you don't just mean specifying a brand name.

CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I'm stubbornly proud that I have no idea at all what you are talking about. But I am stubbornly curious. There isn't just "Scotch"? From the context, I am getting that you don't just mean specifying a brand name.
    Scotch is Scottish whisky, as opposed to whiskey with an "e", which is Irish. (No-one in Scotland would call it Scotch, by the way.) There are different kinds of whisky, according to how they're prepared - single malt, single grain, blended malt, blended grain, blended. And within those categories, they further vary - some Islay malts are so different from some Speyside malts one would be forgiven for wondering why they're both called whisky.
    So asking for "Scotch" is a little like asking for "wine" - there needs to be some clarification of what you want. Hereabouts, bartenders would be alert to the possibility that a young person asking for just "whisky" was an underage drinker, because it's such an ill-informed thing to do.

So when people ask for "Scotch" in movies, it tells me the character doesn't know anything much about what (s)he's drinking, and when the bartender serves it without question, it tells me the bartender doesn't know or doesn't care either. There are times when that might be the point of the scene, but usually it's just careless or ignorant script writing. It grates on me in the same way movie chess games do when the board's set up wrongly. (Almost every chess game ever played in The West Wing had the white corner on the player's left, for instance.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Ah! I understand. The analogy to wine makes sense. Is it the same for whiskey and other drinks? I saw vodka mentioned, but clearly in ads for that (and various whiskeys(?) and bourbons (?)), there's no specificity mentioned. Just a brand name. I am not wanting a big drink de-rail (I almost never even sip alcoholic beverages), but it opens up a whole new set of "things" in the world for me.

CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"

lonelybirder.org

I think there's a general rule that drinks you don't like are all the same, and drinks you do like are replete with infinite variety. I have no idea how anyone can tell different vodkas apart, for instance. (With the exception of something pale blue and unlabelled that I once drank in the kitchen of an expat Uzbek in Zambia, which he'd taken out of the freezer compartment unfrozen. That I could distinguish from all other vodkas - but not in a good way.)
    There are differences in how vodka is produced - from root vegetables or grain, for instance - which produce differences in mouth feel and flavour, but they're simply too subtle against the backdrop of concentrated ethanol for me to distinguish or care about.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I don't ever recall ordering any kind of alcoholic beverage by just a generic name like whisky or rum or wine, and if I did, I would get asked by the bartender or wait-person exactly what I wanted. My wife often orders mixed drinks such as "rum and coke" or gin and tonic" and they will always ask what rum or gin you want.

But I also always assumed on TV or movies it was just a shortcut and now a days, a way to avoid copyright infringement if the character actually said "Bacardi" or "Macallan". I assume the Bad Bartending forum complains about it all the time.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I sometimes order Rum-n-Coke, and knowledgeable bartenders ask me if I have a Rum preference. I usually just say 'house' which I've been told is the bargain variety, something that a true Rum drinker wouldn't touch. But if we're diluting the drink with Coke, there's no reason to pay more for top shelf rum.

Hereabouts, bartenders would be alert to the possibility that a young person asking for just "whisky" was an underage drinker, because it's such an ill-informed thing to do.
    That reminds me of a time I was at a restaurant and overheard a young man at a nearby table order a drink, asking, "Can you do that on-the-rocks here?" He actually put a little bit of emphasis on "on-the-rocks", and I'm hyphenating it because he said it almost as one word. He definitely wasn't underaged, but apparently wasn't a very experienced drinker - and may have been trying to impress his date. I can't believe he actually thought the restaurant might not have ice cubes available, so I assumed he had heard the expression but didn't know what it meant.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    I sometimes order Rum-n-Coke, and knowledgeable bartenders ask me if I have a Rum preference.
    And sometimes when you order a Rum-and-Coke, they ask, "Is Pepsi OK?"

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    That reminds me of a time I was at a restaurant and overheard a young man at a nearby table order a drink, asking, "Can you do that on-the-rocks here?" He actually put a little bit of emphasis on "on-the-rocks", and I'm hyphenating it because he said it almost as one word. He definitely wasn't underaged, but apparently wasn't a very experienced drinker - and may have been trying to impress his date. I can't believe he actually thought the restaurant might not have ice cubes available, so I assumed he had heard the expression but didn't know what it meant.
    Maybe a restaurant that he thought only served frozen Margaritas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    And sometimes when you order a Rum-and-Coke, they ask, "Is Pepsi OK?"
    I've heard that too.

Rum and Cokes are traditionally served with a lime in it. Lately, my salt-craving wife has been getting them with olives in them, which I think is just about the weirdest thing.

The combination of an early school bus and a late child is not an ideal one. Fortunately for us, a parent across the street yelled to us that he'd already missed the bus and to hurry because he was about to miss it the other direction as well.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Early bus? I believe here that a school bus is not allowed to leave a scheduled stop early if there's a student on that stop who hasn't boarded yet.

I rode the school bus (some) in junior high and high school. There were two buses that left school on the same route before dropping off kids. At one intersection our bus went straight while the other bus turned left. Each continued on its own route, dropping off kids.

One day we had a substitute driver. He said he was unsure of the route so some of the kids said just follow that bus. That was good, until the other bus made its turn ... and he followed it.

He was never able to correct for that first mistake (listening to directions from 30+ kids was the follow-on mistake) and ended up pulling into a shopping center parking lot and telling us all to get off.

Never saw him again.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Ah! I understand. The analogy to wine makes sense. Is it the same for whiskey and other drinks? I saw vodka mentioned, but clearly in ads for that (and various whiskeys(?) and bourbons (?)), there's no specificity mentioned. Just a brand name. I am not wanting a big drink de-rail (I almost never even sip alcoholic beverages), but it opens up a whole new set of "things" in the world for me.
    Then there are some that play into the marketing of "cheap"...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cheap red wine II.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	538.7 KB 
ID:	23980
    [I won a basketball bet for wine from a cheap friend. ]

On or about the time of the opening of her new cheap-looking restaurant, Dolly Parton commented that, "It cost a lot of money to look cheap."

Quote Originally Posted by grant
    I have no idea how anyone can tell different vodkas apart, for instance. (With the exception of something pale blue and unlabelled that I once drank in the kitchen of an expat Uzbek in Zambia, which he'd taken out of the freezer compartment unfrozen.
    I would bet a bottle of wine that you would find the taste of Titos' vodka distinct from most. It has a hint of olive flavoring or something close enough that fits nicely with martinis, though with tonic or used for a mule also works great. Conversely, it is a poor choice of vodka for making drinks such as a Cape Cod (cranberry juice).

[The sideways image must be an iPhone quirk with this forum as it doesn't display improperly elsewhere.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cheap red wine.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	704.5 KB 
ID:	23979  
    Last edited by George; 2019-Jan-30 at 08:58 PM.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Damn it! I posted in CT. It was a momentary weakness.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    We all have that moment of weakness, when you think your input might get the poster to see reason, then you realize there is no helping them. But you might help a fence sitter that might be reading.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    The mind-control chemtrails made you do it.

What I need is a keyboard that, if I ever post in CT or ATM, sends a mild electric shock through my fingers the moment the first key is punched to enter something into the message box. The shock should not be fatal but should be enough to knock my glasses off and cause me to scream.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    The mind-control chemtrails made you do it.
    I actually ended up explaining contrails to Simon this morning. Because he woke up at about 4:30 this morning in screaming pain, literally, with what turns out to be an ear infection. We just got home, six hours later, with a prescription that I'm going to have an extremely difficult time getting him to take. I have had less than three hours of sleep, though I did persuade Graham to give me some cash (I'm broke until tomorrow, of course) to pick up food.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Saturday is going to be interesting. Got the call from the auction company and asked me to work. Then found out mom is going to a hockey tournament that my niece is playing a 100 km away. Well at least I don't think I did that much damage last time packing up the truck. It is pretty much the only job I can get without some kind of certificate or licence. I don't think I can fool someone in letting me me be in charge of a boat.

I just received a tax form 1099-INT from my local bank.
    If a bank pays you more than $10 in interest per year, they have to issue you a form, and you have to pay tax on the income.

I earned $10.06 in interest last year.
    So for 6˘, they had to print and mail a form, and I'll have to pay a few additional dollars in tax.

Sadly, giving them back the 6˘ isn't an option.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I just received a tax form 1099-INT from my local bank.
    If a bank pays you more than $10 in interest per year, they have to issue you a form, and you have to pay tax on the income.

I earned $10.06 in interest last year.
    So for 6˘, they had to print and mail a form, and I'll have to pay a few additional dollars in tax.

Sadly, giving them back the 6˘ isn't an option.
    About 80 years ago, my grandfather, a lawyer in rural Wyoming, did legal work for "land-poor" ranchers in exchange for a share of mineral rights. I eventually inherited a little of that. I once got an oil royalty check for US$0.01. One cent. I really should have framed it instead of cashing it.

According to the special features on the UHF disc, that's about how much Emo Phillips gets as his average royalty check from the movie.

After getting less than three hours of sleep night before last, I was looking forward to a good night's sleep last night. Irene woke up at five. Not upset or anything, but talkative. Graham dealt with that. Simon woke up before seven, and he was making screaming chirping noises in the bathroom. Not because he hurt, but because he liked the echo. Today's a half-day in school, but he's on his way at least!

"You can't erase icing."

I don't know if this makes me a bad or lazy person bu I am hoping the auction is cancelled tomorrow because it is going to be really cold.

Gender uncertainty. As when I encounter a person and can't tell whether they are male or female.

Today's example was the checker at the supermarket. I finally figured out he was just a skinny young man with curly hair. When I got to the head of the line he turned so I could see his name tag. "Gillian". Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Gender uncertainty. As when I encounter a person and can't tell whether they are male or female.

Today's example was the checker at the supermarket. I finally figured out he was just a skinny young man with curly hair. When I got to the head of the line he turned so I could see his name tag. "Gillian". Oops.
    I hope I wouldn’t bug you if we met in person, as I am somewhat androgynous-looking and get mistaken for a boy every so often when wearing jackets or looser shirts.

It can feel odd, especially if you want to address service staff politely (with “Sir”, “Ma’am”, etc.), but as I have become aware of the greater variation of gender identity and expression that exists and the potential to upset someone, I tend to just default to “Thank you very much, [name if it’s on a name tag]”. My Dad would probably use “dear” as the term of address in such a situation, but that feels too personal for me. When I interned in a Congressional office, we used “Dear Constituent” as the salutation in response letters where the writer’s gender wasn’t clear.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2019-Feb-08 at 09:51 AM.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!