Page 337 of 337 FirstFirst ... 237287327335336337
Results 10,081 to 10,092 of 10092

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    Typically, I assume people are slowing traffic intentionally, because they are just horrible people with control issues, then I argue myself down and conclude that they are probably just clueless to traffic around them. Last Friday, I was stuck behind a guy that would adjust his speed to stay half a car ahead of the car in the right lane, no faster or slower. I swear it looked like he was making sure no one would pass him. The speed limit was 45 and no one exceeded. We approached a light where typically, the people in the right lane go into the right turning lane because beyond the light, the two lanes merge. When the right lane cleared out, I moved into the right lane and ended up first, next to the guy who was doing the rolling road block. Since he wasn't in a hurry, I didn't think passing him would be a problem. The light turns green and this guy is matching my acceleration. At our max speed, we were doing more than 70 in a 45, so this guy was determined not to let me pass. My crappy car has no pickup and his engine was screaming as well, so we were pretty much at a stalemate--one of us was going to have to drop back. My saving grace was the semi that was up the road, doing a u-turn where the lanes merge. As we approached, we both slowed but as the back of the truck cleared the right lane first, I went around the truck and he got stuck behind me. I slowed back down to almost the speed limit (no one really does the speed limit on that stretch), and I end up putting some serious distance between us. A little bit down the road, I happened to glance in my rear view and notice he is way back, with a line of cars piling up behind him, again, holding up traffic. He clearly wasn't afraid or reluctant to speed when I was trying to pass him so I am fairly certain to him, this was all about control.
    I have seen this sort of behaviour many times, it can be dangerous. Other road users get distracted, frustrated and anxious! To be driving optimally a person needs to be relaxed & aware. I have no problem with folk keeping within in the speed limit. But when someone sits there on a dual carriage way side by side with another vehicle holding up traffic, well its just idiocy.

I think you could well be correct regarding some people wanting control. Unfortunately my uncle is much the same, in fact he drives me to frustration when I'm a passenger in his car, something I try to avoid as much as possible.

Sunday- gets car washed to remove road salt.

Monday- All four doors frozen shut.

“Experience allows us to recognize mistakes when we repeat them.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I used to be able to read the posts on this board, using my phone, without enlarging the screen or turning the phone sideways.

My car got hauled away today. Which of course means I have to haul Graham to and from work, because he started work at the same time Irene had her "eight-month" NICU follow up in another city. And I had to take Simon, because we got out of the appointment right about the time his school bus would ordinarily pick him up, and of course none of my friends are free to babysit for three hours on a Tuesday morning.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    My car got hauled away today. Which of course means I have to haul Graham to and from work, because he started work at the same time Irene had her "eight-month" NICU follow up in another city. And I had to take Simon, because we got out of the appointment right about the time his school bus would ordinarily pick him up, and of course none of my friends are free to babysit for three hours on a Tuesday morning.
    Is this related to the not-starting issue, or did something worse happen?? Either way this doesn't sound trivial!

With the swing in temperatures, wind, and cloud cover these past weeks, my office is either freezing or way too hot - sometimes in the same day. I have to wear 3 layers to work to have options! But now I've sweated through 2 of them.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

I found myself reading the comments on a news story. So much for my rule, "Never read the comments section". I did refrain from commenting myself, but it burned!
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Is this related to the not-starting issue, or did something worse happen?? Either way this doesn't sound trivial!
    The "something worse" was in the non-trivial thread! We were in a car accident last week, and the car is deemed totaled. That part remains non-trivial. The confluence of irritating circumstances for today was considerably more trivial. As is the fact that I need to find someone who can at bare minimum pick me up from therapy on Thursday if I want to avoid having to drive Graham to and from work again that day. I can get Simon on his school bus. I can take the bus to therapy and make it in time. I can even have therapy with Irene in the room! What I cannot be sure I can do is take the bus home and get there before Simon's bus drops him off.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The "something worse" was in the non-trivial thread! We were in a car accident last week, and the car is deemed totaled. That part remains non-trivial. The confluence of irritating circumstances for today was considerably more trivial. As is the fact that I need to find someone who can at bare minimum pick me up from therapy on Thursday if I want to avoid having to drive Graham to and from work again that day. I can get Simon on his school bus. I can take the bus to therapy and make it in time. I can even have therapy with Irene in the room! What I cannot be sure I can do is take the bus home and get there before Simon's bus drops him off.
    Oh gosh, that's right! I'm so sorry. I've had my own weird enough day, I'm lucky to remember my own name...

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

I’ve developed “trigger finger” in my right “pinkie”.

Currently, it only happens at night, and shortly after I wake up. Hopefully, it will go away of its own accord, as I don’t want to visit my doctor’s office during the height of flu season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Enjoyed a hearty meal of Sicilian style picante meatballs last night.

Completely trashed my lower alimentary canal starting at four AM.

It's ten AM now and my guts are STILL mad at me!
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Almost not trivial:
    TurboTax is running some ads I find creepy and offensive. Including people in life-threatening situations (skewered by a swordfish, overboard from a cruise ship) but it's ok because "at least your taxes are free". Doesn't help much if you're dead. The latest is slightly different: A guy is congratulating his wife on giving birth to their baby when another guy comes in and looks exactly like the baby. But at least his taxes are free. Unlike the divorce.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Almost not trivial:
    TurboTax is running some ads I find creepy and offensive. Including people in life-threatening situations (skewered by a swordfish, overboard from a cruise ship) but it's ok because "at least your taxes are free". Doesn't help much if you're dead. The latest is slightly different: A guy is congratulating his wife on giving birth to their baby when another guy comes in and looks exactly like the baby. But at least his taxes are free. Unlike the divorce.
    The first few commercials make sense - taxes and death are certain. And free! It does make me want to cry for all of society, but at least I get it. I don't get the baby one. They lost the path. It is stylistic similar to the death and taxes commercial but doesn't use that saying. It makes me want to cry more.

I bought 3 giant cut and fold icosahedrons. I was going to label two of them with the digits 0-9 (twice) and the third would have the operators plus, minus, divide and multiply (5 times each). I thought it would be a great game for the classroom. I was expecting a large sheet of cardstock folded in the package with cutting lines. Nope, two packages have 20 pre-cut triangles with no connection tabs or anything. I guess you duct tape them together. The third package has 19 triangles. Somehow "Cut and fold" was not a part of the planning process.

Tomorrow night I will buy a some tag board and trace the triangles on it, score the lines and then fold it into my icosahedrons. I took a drafting class and this was my first plan, but then I saw these things on the store shelf and thought I'd save some time. Yeah, I know. I was expecting too much.

I am tempted to tape 4 of the pre-cut triangles together for a tracing template, but then I would need a ridiculous number of tag board sheets for each one. I'd probably have to make some sort of reinforcing tab so it would hold together. It would be rather humorous to have a beach ball sized icosahedron in the classroom.
    Solfe