Page 360 of 372 FirstFirst ... 260310350358359360361362370 ... LastLast
Results 10,771 to 10,800 of 11153

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    "Yes, if only MoonMan had seen this post, I would have convinced him the moon landings were real".

I'm afraid I post on ATM threads entirely for my own benefit, which probably makes me a Bad Person. It's like watching street theatre while preparing a tutorial on a topic you haven't thought about for a while. I don't want to do it every day, but once in a while is fun and informative.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Odd, I have the same problem as Dr. Grant, only the post closures, for the most part, save me from setting my own backside on fire. Metaphorically speaking.
    I think there's a klaxon and flashing light that goes off in the mod Ready Room when you open the Quick Reply box, Don.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I think there's a klaxon and flashing light that goes off in the mod Ready Room when you open the Quick Reply box, Don.

Grant Hutchison

Unfortunately, the Moderation Team has never reached a consensus as to whether we call it "Battle Stations" or "Action Stations".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Stuff that bugs me: people who stand right in front of the elevator button panel, guarding it from the rest of us, and ask everyone else what floors we're going to so they can push the buttons themselves; doing something "for me" that you prevented me from doing myself is not actually doing anything for me at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Stuff that bugs me: people who stand right in front of the elevator button panel, guarding it from the rest of us, and ask everyone else what floors we're going to so they can push the buttons themselves; doing something "for me" that you prevented me from doing myself is not actually doing anything for me at all!
    Yes. Does bug me to get in a lift to find the one person who got in there before me standing in front of the panel. Would it have been that hard to move? Happens a lot in my car park building, which has very small lifts, making hitting the buttons when someone is standing there, fairly awkward.

I usually get in a lift, use one hand on the door to stop it closing, hit my floor button, then go stand in the opposite corner so the next person can get to the buttons.

But I'm pretty sure some people see my hand holding the door as being a block to stop them going straight for the panel.

Everybody jamming into the lift at the same time, then trying to get their button pushed, does not help much around here.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    In the past I have asked people getting in on other floors when I'm already in the elevator "What floor?" because I tend to stand on the right side of the car (where the buttons are in the elevators in my building), being right-handed, but usually it's just me and one other person. I will now bear in mind that this kind of behavior can be annoying and try to do better in the future.

It tokk me a few moments to remember when I was in elevator last, it was dropping the phonebooks and before that it was with auction company. But in general I think if you are in front of the panel and it is crowded I think you are expected to press the buttons for everyone.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Speaking of elevators, I was at a doctor visit in the local hospital yesterday. They have two elevators, each of which has its own call button that doesn't call the other one. I don't think I've ever seen that before.
    Also, why do the people getting in after me feel it necessary to push the same floor button I already pushed and which is lit up?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

There was a whole bank of elevators like that in the building of our local community college in which I took summer school classes as a child! We used to have "elevator races" to class--we'd all take separate elevators and try to be the first one to class. This included running down the hall to the classroom door. Fortunately for us, there was only the cosmetology department between the elevators and our classroom, though we routinely startled students taking their breaks!

Simon likes pushing elevator buttons for people; I feel as though that's one of the accepted hazards of being in an elevator with a four-year-old.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

At UNB there is building just for the physics department and gets almost empty at night except for the students. One night we turned the building into 4 dimensional version of hide and seek. One trick I used was to get the elevator and press the button for the third floor by the home base to try to sneak up on it.

Trying to find Star Wars: Empire at War game DVD going thru everything to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    ... Also, why do the people getting in after me feel it necessary to push the same floor button I already pushed and which is lit up?
    At a pedestrian crossing, why do people have to push the button they already pressed. Several times. Pushpushpushpushpush.

I think they think the devices count, and will stop the traffic to let the pedestrians cross sooner. Or maybe it's just that feeling that maybe the previous push didn't register, so another push is needed (which doesn't make sense here as the red-person-don't-cross light comes on at the first push).

A few years back I was moving a coffee table and swinging it up too high made a small gouge in the lounge ceiling.

I've been painting a cupboard ceiling lately, so have used a small brush to paint inside that gouge, just to tidy it up a bit.

This morning I decided to go have a look at how it's gone; I reached up to steady myself and put my hand on the ceiling, forgetting I've been reading the Saturday morning paper. I put three fingerprint ink smudges up there next to the gouge.

Then while trying to clean up the smudges I got some chlorine based spray-cleaner in my eye.

First sunny day in ages, and not a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    If you know of a board member who has accidentally set himself on fire and didn't die until the sixth time, please enlighten us.

(Ouch, that was bad.)
    I've accidentally set my sister on fire 3 times. Once in a church. She's still alive.

The first time was an honest accident that I had nothing to do with. When she was an infant, she rolled too close to a heater and her clothes ignited. We both got burned ripping her clothes off so maybe I was the hero that day.

When she was four, we were at mass and I was holding a candle. My mom was holding my sister in the pew behind me. My mom tapped me on the shoulder and I turned, touching the candle to her hair. I felt horrible about that. The next year, children were not permitted candles.

The third time was a horrible accident that I could foresee and actually tried to prevent. My sister is a real motorhead and tore apart a 1979 Mustang Fastback to put a larger engine in it. It was a very dirty job, it's the only car have I seen that merits the air quotes around "street legal". I know nothing about cars, so much of what my sister is told me translated to gibberish. She moved to up to Toronto and there was absolutely no way for her to register in Ontario. She gave it to me.

One weekend she came down for a visit (me or the car, not sure which) and the car wouldn't start. She whipped out a can of ether from her trunk, popped the hood and told me to fire it up. I was 99% sure this car was fuel injected and this was the worst idea ever. She rattled off some specs and number at me - "198... is nice but I put a blah... blah in here...", proving that the car was in fact carbureted. I wasn't so sure, so I asked her to start it while I sprayed, just in case. There was a massive fireball as the ether hit the fuel injector. I dove for cover as flames flashed inside the car. Not all of the air vents were connected and the fireball entered the compartment. I used the leather cover for the sunroof to put her out. She calmly stated that she had forgotten the car no longer had the NO system, so fuel injected for performance reasons.

I am assuming her idea of performance meant it ran on most days, because a lot of her days and nights were spent making this thing go. The back seat looked upholstered, but it was actually painted metal. She put in a sunroof large enough to climb out of, designed to be kicked out rather than opened because she though she might have to leave the vehicle that way. It had 5 point harnesses for both functional fronts seats, which were aftermarket. The gas tank only held 5 gallons. The windows didn't roll down, they had tiny hinged windows for ventilation. She replaced the passenger door with one that opened and put a seat in there for a passenger when she gave it to me. It had two fire extinguishers within reach of the driver's seat. One was stuck in the space for the radio but I couldn't pull it out when I needed it. The car was a deathtrap.

My sister is more than trivially annoying, but somehow very cool in a crazy way.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    At a pedestrian crossing, why do people have to push the button they already pressed. Several times. Pushpushpushpushpush.

I think they think the devices count, and will stop the traffic to let the pedestrians cross sooner. Or maybe it's just that feeling that maybe the previous push didn't register, so another push is needed (which doesn't make sense here as the red-person-don't-cross light comes on at the first push).
    Had I the power to do so, I'd program those buttons so each push after the first would delay the light change by an additional 10 or 20 seconds.

Had I the power to do so, I'd program those buttons so each push after the first would delay the light change by an additional 10 or 20 seconds.
    I like your thinking.

About setting people a light, I think I told this story before. In a high school chemistry class a couple of girls were sick the day before, so they had to do the lab we did the day before. The chemistry teacher was show them how to use the Bunsen burner. I was facing the other way then heard a rush and the teacher gets in front in the class and says, "Now you how I lost my hair." One those girls is 4th grade teacher in the same town, I have no idea what happened to the girl.

Why, do you think the pedestrians are going to wear it out? It hurts no one, and gives them something to do.

At a bike trail crossing of a major road on my commute, the button shouts “Wait!” when you press it. When alone, I often press it repeatedly, just for kicks. (I don’t do that when other cyclists or pedestrians are present - could be annoying.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

In downtown Olympia, it starts telling you wait, repeatedly, until you can cross.

Simon broke the pair of headphones I bought him for his tablet because I was tired of listening to him using his tablet while I was watching something else. So I bought him a pair of dollar-store ear buds as a replacement. Which they're not, because they won't fit in his ears.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    About setting people a light, I think I told this story before. In a high school chemistry class a couple of girls were sick the day before, so they had to do the lab we did the day before. The chemistry teacher was show them how to use the Bunsen burner. I was facing the other way then heard a rush and the teacher gets in front in the class and says, "Now you how I lost my hair." One those girls is 4th grade teacher in the same town, I have no idea what happened to the girl.
    Ah, high school chemistry class. Fond memories. My friend Tom and I alarmed a third friend, who had backed into a lit Bunsen burner and didn't know he had set his hair on fire, and he was a fairly clean cut individual so he didn't have a lot to spare!

My friend Tom and I, the both of us within arm's reach as we were all working a lab experiment together, came at him from two different angles trying to slap his hair out, and he thought we were assaulting him for some reason.

A funny, but short lived misunderstanding.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

In the college microbiology lab that I was supervising, one of our nursing students managed to set her hair on fire from the Bunsen burner. The labs were equipped with showers for just such emergencies, and you just get under one and pull on a hanging handle. Fortunately, this gal was quite near the shower, and we had her under it in no time at all. All things considered, she was right as rain ... literally, what with being soaked. She combed out the scorched hair and looked okay.

My ninth grade general science teacher managed to set the classroom a little bit on fire. Twice. One time he was showing us how white phosphorus will spontaneously combust. He fished a lump out of the oil it was stored in and set it on a screen on a stand, where it glowed and smoked but stubbornly refused to flame. So he hit it with a flame from a propane torch, which was what we had instead of a bunsen burner, there being no gas available. Whoosh! He just watched it for a moment, got the extinguisher, and put it out. All very casual.

One of my all-time favorite teachers.

The only thing I did wrong doing a lab was breaking a crucible by dropping and the teacher said "Never go into washing dishes." or something close to it a few years later I was washing dishes at a hotel in nearby town for the summer.

One year I was the person hired to work at a telescope helping first year students. One thing some of them had to do is solar observing, I would project the sun onto a wall using the telescope and the students had to draw sunspots and limb darkening, One day there was two students there, one was talking to me and the sun moved and the other almost looked into the telescope, luckily I caught him before he did.

right now hoping there is not a frost aft I started planting things, I don't we really in in danger but the word can bug me at times.

The only thing I did wrong doing a lab was breaking a crucible by dropping and the teacher said "Never go into washing dishes." or something close to it a few years later I was washing dishes at a hotel in nearby town for the summer.

One year I was the person hired to work at a telescope helping first year students. One thing some of them had to do is solar observing, I would project the sun onto a wall using the telescope and the students had to draw sunspots and limb darkening, One day there was two students there, one was talking to me and the sun moved and the other almost looked into the telescope, luckily I caught him before he did.
    Yeah, I can see where having one of your charges set the back of his head on fire, from the front, while looking at the sun in a standard telescope can be what we referred to in the Navy as a "career limiting maneuver"...

Every job has its dangers and some are more dangerous than others, you just must use some common sense and keep an eye or an ear out for hazards. I am usually the most paranoid person about safety.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Jun-04 at 05:53 PM.

The person I was talking to was what you we would call an atmer here. He wanted the spectrograph attached to the telescope to prove that galaxies weren't moving, nice guy.

Every job has its dangers and some are more dangerous than others, you just must use some common sense and keep an eye or an ear out for hazards.
    I used to be a flightdeck sailor, who worked on air to air weapons systems. I know exactly what you're talking about.

And you have to pay attention to what your nose tells you too. During my enlistment I sniffed out three major ship-board electrical system failures before they became a crisis. The second I smelled hot insulation I stopped what I was doing and wouldn't resume until I found the source. And a good thing too. It was the same power panel, two decks up. (The vent system from that space joined our vent system somewhere in the mix.) The third time they finally figured out that the panel was hooked up incorrectly.

I get to have yet another skin cancer cut out in a couple of weeks. It's not a big deal but gets tiresome after about 40 years.

That sucks Trebuchet, hope goes well.