Page 361 of 365 FirstFirst ... 261311351359360361362363 ... LastLast
Results 10,801 to 10,830 of 10927

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

The price of glasses, razor blades, Also watching rugby in the rain.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I hate it when you buy something at the supermarket, which is in a box, and when you open the box, it is only partially filled. You are tricked into thinking there is more than there actually is...

Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    I hate it when you buy something at the supermarket, which is in a box, and when you open the box, it is only partially filled. You are tricked into thinking there is more than there actually is...
    Lay's vs. Wise potato chips. I prefer Wise but when you open the bag, it's 2/3 empty, where as Lay's is only 1/3 empty.

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    Lay's vs. Wise potato chips. I prefer Wise but when you open the bag, it's 2/3 empty, where as Lay's is only 1/3 empty.
    I heard somewhere that a crisp manufacturing company were asked why the bags were so large yet only partially filled. IIRC the company representative respond with something like "the extra room is for the air trapped in during the sealing process and this air helps to preserve the flavors"

Personally I think this is utter baloney and that its nothing more than a cheap marketing ploy. A larger bag tricks you into thinking you are getting more for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    I heard somewhere that a crisp manufacturing company were asked why the bags were so large yet only partially filled. IIRC the company representative respond with something like "the extra room is for the air trapped in during the sealing process and this air helps to preserve the flavors"
    That might be true if it wasn't air, if they used nitrogen for example (company that makes nitrogen packaging equipment). It would help prevent oxidation. But I suspect most crisps/chips are not packaged that way.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Personally I think this is utter baloney and that its nothing more than a cheap marketing ploy. A larger bag tricks you into thinking you are getting more for your buck.
    For stuff like cereal and crackers, they typically blame it on "settling".

Some years back, I bought a bottle of OTC medicine at Costco. Quite a large bottle, which turned out to be about 25% full. I didn't count, but I'm sure the quantity was correct.
    Next time I bought it the quantity had been increased from 200 to 250 tablets, and the bottle was even bigger. Only about 15% full.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Not sure where that came from. I always heard it was to prevent breakage of the chips/crisps.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Not sure where that came from. I always heard it was to prevent breakage of the chips/crisps.
    That would make more sense, since the trapped air pressure would act partly as a cushion against the packaging being crushed and the crisp would be free to move around more.

I still think the main purpose is a marketing ploy to make us believe we are getting more for our cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That might be true if it wasn't air, if they used nitrogen for example (company that makes nitrogen packaging equipment). It would help prevent oxidation. But I suspect most crisps/chips are not packaged that way.
    Ah yes, I've heard of that, it never crossed my mind.

Well now, I WAS going to post in another thread about how different my new neighborhood is from my old one. Heard a child wailing hard enough to warrant investigation and it was merely an eight year old finding out he was going to spend the summer taking swimming lessons. Apparently he equates this with being lowered slowly into boiling oil.

Ha ha, poor kid. Has people that care whether he lives or dies.

Then my doctor told me she put me in for physical therapy, starting next Monday. "Vestibular Reconditioning" AKA Yakfest 2018. God I hate that particular form of physical therapy!

(And I've had burns debrided!)

Even the "Modified Eplies" exercises mess me up for the whole rest of the day. Those are supposed to reseat errant otoliths in one's middle ears. When I do them objects in the room begin to orbit me at random intervals throughout the rest of the day, and a few moments later I taste floor. That doesn't happen nearly as often, if at all, when I DON'T do the Eplies exercises. So I confessed to her that I had been neglecting them.

And technically I don't have vertigo, I suffer from disequilibrium. (The main difference being falling in a specific direction. In my case to my right. Which is why my cane doesn't help me much when I use it in my left hand.)

That's a relief. Nobody wants vertigo!

Waiting for a news conference form Nasa to start in just over half an hour and wifi or internet keeps dropping or is very slow compared to the usual speed.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Bigdon, I don't blame the keep I like staying on dry land.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

yep unwatchable here.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

yep unwatchable here. What gets is sometimes it is really great and other times like when there should be hardly any traffic on the lines out here it is really slow, I wonder if there some work being down or throttling or someone is using up the band with. Some of it could be the house there is old chimney between me and the router but the internet should suck all the the time not at selected times.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

The manufacturer of my GPS receiver has announced that they will no lounger provide map updates for my device, despite its having been sold with “lifetime updates”.

Trivial, because I rarely use the device.
    (I also expect to hear about the class action lawsuit very soon. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The manufacturer of my GPS receiver has announced that they will no lounger provide map updates for my device, despite its having been sold with “lifetime updates”.

Trivial, because I rarely use the device.
    (I also expect to hear about the class action lawsuit very soon. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    annoying is it not when future shock takes the form of ridiculously short assumed product lives?
    Lifetime is not a legal term i guess, it kind of suggests your lifetime but clearly means an arbitrary lifetime of a system before planned obsellescence.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Couldn't sleep last night. Okay, so I ended up writing a story for my Patreon subscribers. Then I couldn't sleep and lay there for a while. Then, Irene woke up and was not happy. That kept me awake for about an hour and a half, because every time you'd put her down, she'd start crying. Graham has drill this weekend, so he had to be up at something like 4:30. (It couldn't have been four; I was still awake then.) I wanted to make sure he got the sleep he needed before drill. I could also hear our upstairs neighbour moving around and being unhappy whenever Irene started crying. She's got a piercing wail these days.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The ceiling of the top floor of the house is slanted with some exposed beams like in my room and the bathroom and every once and a while I forget exactly where they are and the back of my head reminds me.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    The ceiling of the top floor of the house is slanted with some exposed beams like in my room and the bathroom and every once and a while I forget exactly where they are and the back of my head reminds me.
    Have you considered hanging a string and ping-pong ball?

Yesterday while trying to get the tiller to work I wore a couple square centimeters of skin of the palm of my hand, just the top layer but annoying while healing.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Yesterday while trying to get the tiller to work I wore a couple square centimeters of skin of the palm of my hand, just the top layer but annoying while healing.
    Its a bit like when you get a simple paper cut and it stays sore for days on end after.

Kind of this located right where the bas of the thumb merges with rest of the hand so it always in flex.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Its a bit like when you get a simple paper cut and it stays sore for days on end after.
    Paper cuts are annoying because the pain is all out of proportion to the trivial amount of actual damage you know is involved.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Paper cuts are annoying because the pain is all out of proportion to the trivial amount of actual damage you know is involved.
    My understanding is that since paper isn't a particularly good cutting tool, that the skin is more torn than cut in a papercut, and that is what causes all the pain. On the flip side, I've cut myself with very sharp knives (like Exacto knives), which are about as sharp as scalpels, and the cuts are very clean and don't hurt at all, as long as they aren't deep.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

My understanding is that since paper isn't a particularly good cutting tool, that the skin is more torn than cut in a papercut, and that is what causes all the pain. On the flip side, I've cut myself with very sharp knives (like Exacto knives), which are about as sharp as scalpels, and the cuts are very clean and don't hurt at all, as long as they aren't deep.
    There's also the fact that paper cuts are very shallow, so bleed very little. Blood clot is a nice non-irritant dressing for the the tissue exposed by a cut, whereas the damaged tissue is left out in the air by a paper cut.
    And there's a strong psychological aspect to the pain. Nowadays people seem to be told from an early age that paper cuts are freakishly painful. If you believe something is going to be unusually painful, it will be unusually painful. Whereas when I was a kid, I don't recall paper cuts ever being discussed in any way. I remember cutting myself in the thumb web with a piece of paper when I was about seven years old, and mainly being intrigued that it was possible to do that. It nipped, but that was about it - I'd had much worse. And my parents just stuck a dressing on it for me without catastrophizing the event.

Grant Hutchison

More trivial buggedness.

(Awkward, but better than what I could have said.)

I muffed the date of my appointment in my last post and it was yesterday, not Monday. I had nothing to fear. It was old home week as the Physical Therapy people remember me from three years ago.

I always seem to make friends with my medical people.

But they piled on two new doctor's orders on top all the others in place.

From now on, when I'm walking outside, I have to walk with my chin up. Not elevated though. I usually appear as if I'm looking for lost change when I walk. I look at the ground for balance, but it's a bad habit that's keeping me on the cripple stick.

The other doctor's order is when I walk I have to pick a distant object in the line of travel and try to stay focused on it.

And the worst part?

My brother drove me to the appointment and overheard everything. This is the brother I served on the flightdeck with and who works for NASA now. He's as stubborn as a stump when the rules are laid out to him. When he feels he has a clean course about something he thinks really needs doing, he becomes completely bullheaded.

I just know he's going to be so annoying about this.

The price of glasses, razor blades, Also watching rugby in the rain.
    This sounds almost like song lyrics.

I think its also about the location of the cut. When you get cut near or on a joint of your finger for example, the cut gets disturbed regularly and you notice it more

but is the fist cut the deepest. (sorry couldn't help myself)
    Don't Panic THGTTG

This morning can't go back to sleep after being awaken by rain.
    Don't Panic THGTTG