Page 335 of 372 FirstFirst ... 235285325333334335336337345 ... LastLast
Results 10,021 to 10,050 of 11153

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    the troll who posted the offensive remarks.
    He bothered me, too. If only there was a more robust profile page for optional information. If you give people with impulse control problems an optional chance to hose themselves, they often do it.

Years ago, I ran a website for kids and found that many children as young as 4 are savvy enough to go into their parents pockets for a credit card. As a general policy, we refunded anyone this happened to, it was costly but worth it. To put a stop to the refunds, we added box labeled "Bus Route or Driver's Number" with a ? indicator for more information. Clicking the question mark popped up a box labeled "Adult Check Confirmed". Many consumer though that was pretty funny and contacted us to say so.

Back to trivia but annoying. People who don't know the difference between goals and targeted results annoy me. I was in a class which involved student goal writing. My example targeted result was to have a 3rd grade student score 45% on a 10 word spelling, test 3 times in a row. After three weeks, it changed to 55%. After 6 weeks, I changed the result to 50% for 12 words. I figured something would happen to cause me to miss one test a marking period.

Several of my classmates wrote insane targeted results like a 3rd grade student to take 30 word spelling test with 95% accuracy, and no incremental changes for a whole 10 week marking period. Basically, they were saying the student need to get 285 of 300 different words correct in marking period or they didn't get the desired result.

The professor asked on what day would they take the test. The response was always "Friday" (except me who said Thursday because weekend provides two extra study days and no one has "Test Friday anxiety"). Then she hit them with the thought that most 10 week marking period won't have 10 Fridays in them and they would fail to reach their targeted goal by default. Missing a single test would make success impossible because they offered less than 270 words.

It turns out that everyone who wrote results like this either had an A or very much wanted an A. They weren't writing desired results but their ideal grade. Once it was termed like that, these guys lightened up. Strangely, we had 5 work groups and every group had exactly one person who did this. I find it odd that they didn't group themselves together or weren't randomly distributed among the groups.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    People who don't know the difference between goals and targeted results annoy me.
    I don't know the difference.
    Is it like the difference between aims and objectives? Because, back in the day when I worked for a living, it used to annoy me that people knew the difference between those two.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I don't know the difference.
    Is it like the difference between aims and objectives? Because, back in the day when I worked for a living, it used to annoy me that people knew the difference between those two.

Grant Hutchison
    The goal of the teacher is to have the students meet the targeted result. Not making the targeted result for the majority of students can indicate something is very wrong, and the first place you look is the teacher. Going the other direction isn't a problem because the teacher will either make the target harder or perhaps completely change the target. It's the teacher goals and the students results.

In the classroom this can become muddy, because teachers will often use goal/result interchangeably with each other because they assume that they are all operating as if they can and should be changed at any time. If anyone other than the teacher starts speaking about goals and results at the same time, the hammer is about to fall on the teacher for some reason. There can be a whole host of problems, and usually it isn't the student's problem.

I can say that with some confidence because the student doesn't ever see the target result and therefore (usually) cannot act in a way that specifically precludes it. They may have other issues that preclude meeting a targeted result, but usually it is not directly at odds with the written targeted result.

I have met one student who was aware of the targeted result and was actively working to stymie achieving a reading goal. She was difficult. The goal was attained by asking her to join a kindergarten class to read to them. She did so on level and at goal. The parent was not amused by this, but that is another issue. The parent desired a lower evaluation for reasons beyond the school's control.
    Solfe

The goal of the teacher is to have the students meet the targeted result. Not making the targeted result for the majority of students can indicate something is very wrong, and the first place you look is the teacher. Going the other direction isn't a problem because the teacher will either make the target harder or perhaps completely change the target. It's the teacher goals and the students results.

In the classroom this can become muddy, because teachers will often use goal/result interchangeably with each other because they assume that they are all operating as if they can and should be changed at any time. If anyone other than the teacher starts speaking about goals and results at the same time, the hammer is about to fall on the teacher for some reason. There can be a whole host of problems, and usually it isn't the student's problem.

I can say that with some confidence because the student doesn't ever see the target result and therefore (usually) cannot act in a way that specifically precludes it. They may have other issues that preclude meeting a targeted result, but usually it is not directly at odds with the written targeted result.

I have met one student who was aware of the targeted result and was actively working to stymie achieving a reading goal. She was difficult. The goal was attained by asking her to join a kindergarten class to read to them. She did so on level and at goal. The parent was not amused by this, but that is another issue. The parent desired a lower evaluation for reasons beyond the school's control.
    I thought I got it round about "It's teacher goals and the students results", and then it all fell apart again.
    The "educationalist" bit of my brain was apparently damaged at birth. (It's anatomically close to the "need chocolate" and "interested in sport" parts, apparently.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I thought I got it round about "It's teacher goals and the students results", and then it all fell apart again.
    The "educationalist" bit of my brain was apparently damaged at birth. (It's anatomically close to the "need chocolate" and "interested in sport" parts, apparently.)

Grant Hutchison
    It is a strange idea. You are measuring student performance which is not exactly the student's abilities and absolutely not their grade. In general education the standard is to pass. About 85% of the student do just fine (this is basic student ability which everyone understands). 15% don't perform as well. That 15% receives extra help in some form or another, as a matter of course by the teacher and classroom staff. The last 1-5% of students will do so poorly they need more help than any teacher, teaching assistant or aide can provide on an ad hoc basis. They need some form of support that goes beyond the classroom staff. General it comes in the form guidance, a plan such as an IEP (Individualized Educational Plan) or a 504 plan.

504 plans are easy to understand. Student X is missing both hands or eyes, he or she does not write well. He has a 504 plan to make sure he has the proper educational supports. These are obvious and somewhat customary* needs being met. We know that a student with no arms isn't going to write with his hands, something else needs to happen. He or she should never be put in a place where that thing can't happen. That is what the 504 does, it ensures that he or she has the resources to succeed. Generally, the big things are not my problem as a teacher: wheelchairs, ramps, artificial arms, etc. The little things are my problem. Kneeling to teach, making sure an aide or a nurse has a place at the table, special adaption equipment like audio recordings, visual aides, screen readers, more time, one on one time, small groups, small equipment like lifts or dynavoxes, etc. are my problem.

An IEP or Individualized Education Plan is more nuanced. This could be a case where the student has a syndrome, a mental health issue, profound and incredible precociousness, autism, is a savant, etc. At this point the variation is incredible, because anyone of these students could also have an 504 plan, for a physical aliment. Nothing stops people with autism or Down's Syndrome from being in car accidents or fires. It happens. IEP are more important than 504 because they have the 504 written in to them.

In my classroom, 100% of my students have autism. However, all of them also have other needs. Each has at least an IEP with a goal and targeted result that are evaluated by occupational therapists, speech teachers, physical therapists and a behavior team. In theory this is enough for the IEP, but "the team" also includes the principal, the director of education, transitional staff, two aides and a teaching assistant. The goals are written by me, but evaluated by the team for appropriateness and then we all go to work to met those goals. Of all of these people, the main person in contact with the student and evaluating progress is the teacher. (Aides and TA are also there, but they operate on necessary, but different standards which aren't always educational in nature. Good TA's and Aides are worth their weight in gold.) By having specifically written goals in the classroom and targeted results that have measurable features despite who is doing the measuring, the student can and should progress to meet the target. If not, something is very wrong.

*There is a concept of right to risk and exposure. So long as no one objects when I inform them of my intentions, I can bring a student in a wheel chair into a bounce house or allow them to play on the playground. I would inform parents about 30 days in advance and completely honor a parents wishes or limitations. It is totally legit to bring a deaf student to a musical performance and blind student to a movie. Obviously, every customary and normal measure of safety should be in place, but I don't have to take any "extraordinary" measure beyond the obvious. (I do have syringes, magnets, tech and magic in a bag that most teachers don't have, but it isn't really "extraordinary".) Some people hate this concept, but I have to tell you, my students like being treated like human children and sometimes families simply can't do it at all or as much as they would like.
    Solfe

Each has at least an IEP with a goal and targeted result that are evaluated by occupational therapists, speech teachers, physical therapists and a behavior team. In theory this is enough for the IEP, but "the team" also includes the principal, the director of education, transitional staff, two aides and a teaching assistant.
    There's someone missing from this list, I think, and - quite frankly - it bothers me a bit that you didn't think to include them.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    There's someone missing from this list, I think, and - quite frankly - it bothers me a bit that you didn't think to include them.
    I'm guessing you mean parents, but not all students have parents. Believe me, if they were available they would list them.

Edit - let me clarify. All student have parents, but many are not available or suited to the task. The transit team either includes the parents or are there in their stead. Some parent release their obligation before age 18. Other refuse or are not permitted to be involved. Some are not alive. Some are in jail. All of my students are dealing with this issues on top the hand life dealt them.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2018-Jan-07 at 05:37 AM.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    Running on autopilot. Not a week goes by where I don't greet someone with, "Fine, thanks. How are you?" Only after I utter my standard phrase do I realize they only said, "Hello!"
    I chuckled at this because I find myself doing the same thing quite often. I guess its a "politeness" thing that you were taught as a child and growing up it was drilled into you much like repeating you times tables.

Just yesterday I spoke to someone and instantly greeted them with
    "Hi, hows things, are you ok?"
    They replied "Yes thanks I'm fine, how about yourself?"
    I replied " I'm good thanks, are you ok?"

Once again, there is snow on the ground in New England.

This means that, once again, people driving SUVs think that they've conquered all things snow-related.

And crash.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    I chuckled at this because I find myself doing the same thing quite often. I guess its a "politeness" thing that you were taught as a child and growing up it was drilled into you much like repeating you times tables.

Just yesterday I spoke to someone and instantly greeted them with
    "Hi, hows things, are you ok?"
    They replied "Yes thanks I'm fine, how about yourself?"
    I replied " I'm good thanks, are you ok?"
    I think that about half the people realize that "How are you?" is just a greeting, not a question.

The other half feel compelled to state their medical history for the past year.

Solfe, to expand a bit on what you're saying, Simon has/will continue to have an IEP. For now, this is to ensure he improves his speech and social issues. His goals include things like "interact with other children in targeted imagination play for five minutes at a time four days a week." Other children in his class would have things like "respond to verbal cues with appropriate words" or "recognize letters" or what have you, with the number of times or percent of interactions or whatever they're supposed to do it. When he gets older, even if he gets over his social delay, he'll still have one, since they're starting to have them for gifted children as well to make sure they remain engaged with their classwork and are stimulated on their own academic level. As I'm sure a lot of people here are aware, gifted kids often check out intellectually because they're bored, and his IEP will be designed to make sure that doesn't happen to him.

In nontrivial stuff, I woke up this morning and the load of laundry I'd put in last night had stopped because the washer was unbalanced. So okay, I opened the lid, rearranged the contents, and restarted the washer. Same problem rapidly happened. Same solution. It ran for a bit, and I started to walk away. It unbalanced again. I came back, fixed it, stood there. Fixed it again. Fixed it a third time, which seemed to solve it, so I walked away. I got all the way to the bedroom door before the chirping went off to tell me it was unbalanced again. That one happened twice. I hate washing blankets.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Hi Swamp, I see way too many people with expensive suv's that 'think' they are immortal and drive like mad men....... for a while . The junk yards welcome all comers . No question.
    Our burden is to avoid them at all costs . I have a nice big Yukon , ...and I drive nice.
    Saves me money.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I think that about half the people realize that "How are you?" is just a greeting, not a question.

The following ad explains this:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ffUDDYYIX04

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    do the same again, this time you will succeed and not need the plumber, and you will feel "epic".
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. Turns out you were right. I was able to get my toilet fixed without the services of an expensive plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Once again, there is snow on the ground in New England.

This means that, once again, people driving SUVs think that they've conquered all things snow-related.

And crash.
    What I find almost as amusing are the opposites - there will be a light dusting of snow or maybe some slush on the highway. On a highway with a speed limit of 55 mph, the conditions are such that 40 or 45 mph would be appropriate. And you'll have someone with a big SUV going about 20 mph in the middle lane. If you are that scared of the snow, at least get in the right lane.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Solfe, to expand a bit on what you're saying, Simon has/will continue to have an IEP. For now, this is to ensure he improves his speech and social issues. His goals include things like "interact with other children in targeted imagination play for five minutes at a time four days a week." Other children in his class would have things like "respond to verbal cues with appropriate words" or "recognize letters" or what have you, with the number of times or percent of interactions or whatever they're supposed to do it. When he gets older, even if he gets over his social delay, he'll still have one, since they're starting to have them for gifted children as well to make sure they remain engaged with their classwork and are stimulated on their own academic level. As I'm sure a lot of people here are aware, gifted kids often check out intellectually because they're bored, and his IEP will be designed to make sure that doesn't happen to him.
    My younger son is in a holding pattern right now. He was accepted into the mathematics program at a local university. However, 10 was too young for college. Now he is 13 and I am starting to do research on getting him in to a different school, the school I am enrolled in. The goal is to have him continue his activities in high school and take night classes. The battle we are fighting is that he loves junior national honors society, the young actors guild, scouting and dance. There is no time, unless my wife or I quit a job.

Right now, he has a couple of friends in the same situation and they all go to high school classes together. I don't want to break that up. It would be ideal if he took classes once or twice a week at night at the same time I do.

My oldest son has an IEP for dyslexia, speech and social delays. What is interesting is that he noticed that I was studying for a class with fake IEPs. Real IEPs are protected information and it is rare to see one in a class. The only way to obtain one is to be given it by a former student that happened to save it. When my son graduates, he wants to gift all of his IEPs from pre-k to 12th grade to the exceptional ed department at my school, so new teachers can see what one student's story is, beginning to end. He came up with that on his own. "Socially delayed" might not be an accurate description of his situation now.

My daughter was baked just right, I guess. She has nothing interesting going on. She is a typical teenager.

Funny story about my younger son. When he was 4, I was taking a business calculus class for work. He saw me flipping to the back of the book to check my answers. He thought that was a stupid way to do things, so he nicely wrote the answers next to the question in crayon and markers. Many of answers were next to the wrong question, but it was enough to look convincing. My teacher spotted it and thought I was some sort of moron. He actually said "moron". When I explained what happened, for some reason the teacher misunderstood and thought my son was doing the work himself instead of looking at the answers in the back of the book. My classmates understood the whole situation, so "moron, yes.".
    Solfe

Some people get suvs because they are scarred of snow and no matter what they are driving they are going to be over cautious in driving. Some people think they are better drivers than they are and drive crazy no matter what. All wheel drive just gives more traction, , I find more helpful going down dirt roads and getting out of tricky spots.

Also I probably could of benefited from IEP. In grade five they took me out class about once a week and did test. Along with the tests the teacher retaught cursive, I think there was sign language and other stuff. I did a lot better the next few years.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    What I find almost as amusing are the opposites - there will be a light dusting of snow or maybe some slush on the highway. On a highway with a speed limit of 55 mph, the conditions are such that 40 or 45 mph would be appropriate. And you'll have someone with a big SUV going about 20 mph in the middle lane. If you are that scared of the snow, at least get in the right lane.
    We get that here in the UK. A light sprinkling of snow and the country comes to a stand still! I advise my partner "just keep your car moving, not too slowly but at a speed that you can smoothly manoeuvre and stop ok if you have to".

We had some snow a couple of weeks back. I cleaned off my car, warmed it up and set off for work. The journey takes me up an incline that is not particularly steep, but steep enough that if you stopped on it while snow covered you would be unlikely to get going again. Things were going just fine, I kept up a steady momentum which allowed me to comfortably make the climb. Then as I neared the top some idiot decide they had right of way and proceeded to head down towards me. The road, at that time in the morning is lined with parked cars so it becomes very narrow and not wide enough for vehicles to pass. We met head on just 20 yards from the top! You can imagine my disgruntlement (I put that rather mildly) I had to reverse all the way back to the bottom! What made it worse was the person driving the other car made no acknowledgement to me, no apology or anything. He just drove off with a smug look on his face.
    Obviously he was far more important than me and I had no right to block his passage down that road!
    Last edited by cosmocrazy; 2018-Jan-08 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I teach in Fairfield County, in Connecticut. Our PPT meetings include a general ed teacher, and, usually, a lawyer and a child's advocate. They have to have a parent or guardian; the school needs to have an administrator, a gen ed teacher, and a special ed teacher, and other relevant professionals, including the school nurse, the guidance counselor, speech, occupational, and physical therapists, social workers, and behavior specialists.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

He just drove off with a smug look on his face.
    Obviously he was far more important than me and I had no right to block his passage down that road!
    When in doubt, drive as if the other person thinks that they get to go first.

We had some snow a couple of weeks back. I cleaned off my car, warmed it up and set off for work. The journey takes me up an incline that is not particularly steep, but steep enough that if you stopped on it while snow covered you would be unlikely to get going again. Things were going just fine, I kept up a steady momentum which allowed me to comfortably make the climb. Then as I neared the top some idiot decide they had right of way and proceeded to head down towards me.
    A few years ago, I was also churning steadily up a snow-covered hill in a AWD vehicle, heading back to my house. As I rounded a corner, I encountered a group of children on sledges coming down the hill towards me. I slammed on the brakes, they dug in their heels (it wasn't a steep hill), and all was well.

I couldn't start up the hill again, so I had just reversed gently into a side lane to turn downhill, when there came a wild beating on my window. The mothers of the children had come to yell at me for having the temerity to drive on a public road, endangering their children. Meanwhile, the kids were sitting on their sledges in the middle of the road, enjoying the entertainment.

And then, in one of those moments that come only a few times in a lifetime, a police Landrover came round the corner on its way up the hill. They stopped, gazing incredulously at the little crowd of sledgers sitting in the middle of the road, and then the policeman on the passenger side opened his window to bellow at the mothers: "Are these your children?"
    Suddenly I was forgotten, and the children were cleared off the road while being rebuked for their thoughtless sledging behaviour.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I'm guessing you mean parents, but not all students have parents. Believe me, if they were available they would list them.

Edit - let me clarify. All student have parents, but many are not available or suited to the task. The transit team either includes the parents or are there in their stead. Some parent release their obligation before age 18. Other refuse or are not permitted to be involved. Some are not alive. Some are in jail. All of my students are dealing with this issues on top the hand life dealt them.
    Yes, parents are what I was thinking of. My son has an IEP, and there'd be trouble if the school made decisions about him without our involvement and approval. But thank you for the clarification.

A few years ago, I was also churning steadily up a snow-covered hill in a AWD vehicle, heading back to my house. As I rounded a corner, I encountered a group of children on sledges coming down the hill towards me. I slammed on the brakes, they dug in their heels (it wasn't a steep hill), and all was well.

I couldn't start up the hill again, so I had just reversed gently into a side lane to turn downhill, when there came a wild beating on my window. The mothers of the children had come to yell at me for having the temerity to drive on a public road, endangering their children. Meanwhile, the kids were sitting on their sledges in the middle of the road, enjoying the entertainment.

And then, in one of those moments that come only a few times in a lifetime, a police Landrover came round the corner on its way up the hill. They stopped, gazing incredulously at the little crowd of sledgers sitting in the middle of the road, and then the policeman on the passenger side opened his window to bellow at the mothers: "Are these your children?"
    Suddenly I was forgotten, and the children were cleared off the road while being rebuked for their thoughtless sledging behaviour.

Grant Hutchison
    My story's not quite as good as that one, but I once had someone back out of their driveway in front of me, only to get pulled over right in front of their own house by the police officer who just happened to be parked there. In fact, I suspect part of the reason they didn't see me coming down the road is because the parked police car was between us. I saw them clearly, however, which is why there was no crash - I was already stopping because I was anticipating that they might not.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post

I knew someone whose standard greeting was "Good. And you?", even if they were speaking first.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

The goal of the teacher is to have the students meet the targeted result. Not making the targeted result for the majority of students can indicate something is very wrong, and the first place you look is the teacher. .
    So then I take it you're okay with the Principal of a local high school getting the heave-ho after it became obvious that the class Valedictorian, of a public high school with a total student body of several thousand, had a C- in English?

'Cause I sure as heck am. Didn't even get to finish the school year.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

... Then as I neared the top some idiot decide they had right of way and proceeded to head down towards me. ...
    In New Zealand the road code specifically states that uphill traffic has right of way.

It's just common sense anyway, so yes, idiot.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    In New Zealand the road code specifically states that uphill traffic has right of way.

You mean that if I had taken my last roadtest there, I wouldn't have gotten a point deduction for "failing to yield" to the car that didn't become visible cresting the hill until after I was already halfway through turning onto the street and therefore passed the test and gotten my license?

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post

It amazes me how un thoughtful & un courteous people can be. When I drive on the roads my aim is to make my journey as safe, smooth and quickly as possible, in that order. With this in mind I appreciate that other folk want to do the same, (though not necessarily in the same order) so I try to be accommodating of other road users, sometimes at my own inconvenience. I just think people should be more considerate to others, it would make life a lot easier and less stressful.

Grant Hutchison
    Sigh... this reminds me of my childhood, such care free happy days...

It amazes me how un thoughtful & un courteous people can be. When I drive on the roads my aim is to make my journey as safe, smooth and quickly as possible, in that order. With this in mind I appreciate that other folk want to do the same, (though not necessarily in the same order) so I try to be accommodating of other road users, sometimes at my own inconvenience. I just think people should be more considerate to others, it would make life a lot easier and less stressful.
    Unsolicited advice:

For your own sake, do not drive on Houston highways.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board