Page 363 of 363 FirstFirst ... 263313353361362363
Results 10,861 to 10,884 of 10884

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    My dad wore them while he was married to my mom, so . . . .

I can't cook anything until I load the dishwasher. Again. I'm really looking forward to the kids' being old enough to take turns at it.
    That day never comes. It boils down to strong arming them or bribing them.
    Solfe

I'm planning to die without ever owning a dishwasher.
    I hate dishwashers. I hate loading them, I hate the "cupboard full of dirty dishes" thing that happens in small households, I hate buying those little pellet things you put in them, I hate twiddling the inexplicable dials on the front (what can the range 1 to 4 possibly mean, in this context?), I hate the way the dishwasher cleans things really badly ... and I really like washing dishes by hand. (And yes, I do all the washing up in my household.)

That's just me, isn't it?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I hate dishwashers. I hate loading them, I hate the "cupboard full of dirty dishes" thing that happens in small households, I hate buying those little pellet things you put in them, I hate twiddling the inexplicable dials on the front, I hate the way the dishwasher cleans things really badly ... and I really like washing dishes by hand. (And yes, I do all the washing up in my household.)

Grant Hutchison
    Yes, yes it is. Emptying and loading the dishwasher at home may be a chore, but I find it far easier than washing dishes by hand in my apartment at college.

I am very much looking forward to having a dishwasher in my new house!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Yes, yes it is. Emptying and loading the dishwasher at home may be a chore, but I find it far easier than washing dishes by hand in my apartment at college.
    You're just washing your own dishes? Or do you have some sort of rota system involving multiple people?

Grant Hutchison

You're just washing your own dishes? Or do you have some sort of rota system involving multiple people?

Grant Hutchison
    In my apartment, I wash my own and sometimes my roommate's. At home, I load and unload the dishes used by my parents and two brothers, usually with help from my Mom and/or one of my brothers.

I used to work at a pancake house, washing dishes. I have a dishwasher, and sometimes it gets used. Very often, I look at what is in the sink and decide that the dishwasher makes a nice drying rack. A household of five can't generate a lot of dishes like a pancake house. No big deal, unless you ask my kids. Then washing dishes is an ordeal, like walking on fire.

Back to stuff that annoys... SPF 70 sunblock can go bad and stop working. I think I encounter this today. I have 3 roasted children and a red and angry wife. We have been applying aloe, ice cream and Gatorade/water to counteract the sunburn. I bought a bag of ice to make sure the liquids are super cold and more palatable. (I hate Gatorade, especially the sugar free stuff.) My wife gave the kids ibuprofen or tylenol before bed.

For whatever reason, I don't burn. I do apply sunblock because I don't want to ever burn. I'm nearly bald and once you burn your scalp, you never do it again. Today, I didn't even tan but I think the heat got to me. I feel distinctly unwell as I am playing nurse to 4 crispy people, one of which is a nurse. I am having one more glass of water and then going to bed with a large frozen bottle of water next to me. For me or my wife, depends on who wakes up at 3 am.

When stuff like this happens, my family treats me like a witch: Magic sun powers saved me or something.
    Solfe

I hate dishwashers. I hate loading them, I hate the "cupboard full of dirty dishes" thing that happens in small households, I hate buying those little pellet things you put in them, I hate twiddling the inexplicable dials on the front (what can the range 1 to 4 possibly mean, in this context?), I hate the way the dishwasher cleans things really badly ... and I really like washing dishes by hand. (And yes, I do all the washing up in my household.)

Grant Hutchison
    Way back when I was married my wife and I bought a house that came with an inter -grated dish washer. It was a novelty for us and for a short while we did use it, though my wife would wash the dishes first then put them in the dish washer, she didn't want to get the dish washer dirty.
    I tried to explain to her that it was not only pointless to do it that way but also false economy. Needless to say, once the novelty wore off we just continued to wash by hand and never used the machine again.

I still wash by hand, I don't mind doing it. In fact I would much rather do the washing up than the ironing anytime.

So no, it's not just you.

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

When we renovated the kitchen in our previous house, we were very disappointed with the performance of our “high-end” dishwasher. Then I went online and discovered that (as far as any user could tell) the default “auto” setting was only there to obtain an Energy Star rating.

Once we set it to “normal” it worked extremely well. Perhaps Bosch is the Volkswagen of appliance companies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Extravoice; Yesterday at 11:57 AM.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    In my apartment, I wash my own and sometimes my roommate's. At home, I load and unload the dishes used by my parents and two brothers, usually with help from my Mom and/or one of my brothers.
    So that's about the same for me. I hand-wash, dry and put away cutlery, dishes and pans for two people. When I'm away with my friends, I'm one of a couple of people who load and unload the dishwasher for six or seven people. Sometimes I just secretly wash stuff by hand, because I hate the dishwasher so much.

For me, one of the final pleasant acts after having a group of people around for dinner is clearing the table, washing and drying, and putting everything back where it came from. I shoo my wife off to bed, pour a glass of wine, and zone out with the dish-washing. (The trick is to use a cheap glass for the wine - soapy fingers and fine glassware are a bad combination.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    I still wash by hand, I don't mind doing it. In fact I would much rather do the washing up than the ironing anytime.

So no, it's not just you.
    Ah, good to know. But I also enjoy ironing. Especially shirts. Back in medical school, I pretty much got a girlfriend off the back of my shirt-ironing prowess, so there may be an association of ideas there, even after all these years.

Grant Hutchison

At our old house, we had a little sign someone gave us that said "DISHES", and another bit hanging from a bit of chain that said "DIRTY" on one side and "CLEAN" on the other. You were supposed to stick it to the dishwasher by the magnet on the top part and turn the bottom to the appropriate side. It was on the fridge, because the entire front of the dishwasher was plastic.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I am so old I remember when there was no popular dishwasher machine and even remember design projects where different possibles were thought about. The concept of such a machine goes way back into the 19th century but the version we know today is from about 1970. It then became very popular and was voted the last machine to do without in a home. The one version I remember fondly was a per plate device that was essentially a slot with hot water jets and you passed the plates through, from hand to hand. It would have sat above a sink if it had ever been worth developing further. It required no detergent, just very hot and recycled water but dangerous? Oh yes.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Using a dishwasher is apparently more energy- and water-efficient than washing by hand, so there's that. But both my kids want to help with it; it's just that Simon is too short and Irene is too young. She'll hand you clean silverware one piece at a time, though.

Besides, I never said I was waiting until I wanted them to. I am waiting until they are old enough to learn how to help take care of a home, which is an important life skill that some people are apparently never taught.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

How did you know about my lack of housekeeping skills.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Oh, Dr. G, the word "efficient" has been terribly co-op'ed the last eight years or so.

For a dishwasher to be called efficient the vital qualifier should be squeaky clean dishes.

It's not. Especially in places like California, where we get a surprise drought every seven years like clockwork.

This is soon going to be a travesty like the "Let's wash our clothes in cold water everybody!" while in the very next breath wonder why bed bugs and body lice are on the rise.

(Hint: The eggs of both require 128F water temperatures to kill.)

People don't remember typhus. But I can see where a great big reminder on where we came up with the rules for basic hygiene is coming due.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

How did you know about my lack of housekeeping skills.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Using a dishwasher is apparently more energy- and water-efficient than washing by hand, so there's that. But both my kids want to help with it; it's just that Simon is too short and Irene is too young. She'll hand you clean silverware one piece at a time, though.

Besides, I never said I was waiting until I wanted them to. I am waiting until they are old enough to learn how to help take care of a home, which is an important life skill that some people are apparently never taught.
    a dog is a good dishwasher and dessication will kill the doggy bacteria, that's efficient unless you separately feed the dog.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    People don't remember typhus. But I can see where a great big reminder on where we came up with the rules for basic hygiene is coming due.
    I primarily wash my clothes in cold water and have never had bed bugs or body lice--or typhus.

My last dishwasher got the dishes clean; my current one is so badly laid out that it's impossible to load it in such a way that all the dishes get clean. There are certain places in the dishwasher where you can only load the mostly lightly used of dishes, because if it's more than a few crumbs, it isn't coming off.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I primarily wash my clothes in cold water and have never had bed bugs or body lice--or typhus.

My last dishwasher got the dishes clean; my current one is so badly laid out that it's impossible to load it in such a way that all the dishes get clean. There are certain places in the dishwasher where you can only load the mostly lightly used of dishes, because if it's more than a few crumbs, it isn't coming off.
    That's because it's a lower-end dishwasher. If you look at dishwashers from the same maker, the ones with the racks that load well cost twice as much. Everything else is identical. They INTENTIONALLY make the cheap ones load badly so as to sell the more profitable ones.

Meanwhile, speaking of energy efficiency and eco-friendliness, there's a third option besides hand washing or the dishwasher: Paper plates and plastic forks. Are those really any worse? At our old house, we could actually send the paper plates to be composted with the yard waste. Don't have that here, unfortunately.

I primarily wash my clothes in cold water and have never had bed bugs or body lice--or typhus.My last dishwasher got the dishes clean; my current one is so badly laid out that it's impossible to load it in such a way that all the dishes get clean. There are certain places in the dishwasher where you can only load the mostly lightly used of dishes, because if it's more than a few crumbs, it isn't coming off.
    And *I* eat out frequently, drink, pay cash, and walk home three blocks in the dark, once off the main drag. With a gimped up nervous system and walking with a cane.

Nothing bad has happened to me in three years. Still doesn't make it a good idea.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

I enjoy my politics free island here.

Today I woke up to a series of political Facebook posts which ended in the line "If you don't agree with me, delete me. I dare you." Seriously, what on earth is that? "I dare you"? I get the sense this is one of those copy and paste thingies because the statuses are all have the same topic from wildly different people.

BTW - If you need to delete someone quietly, there is a pretty good trick. Go into settings and disable your account. Your account simply vanishes, until the next time you log in. Do this for as long as necessary for people to get used to the idea of your account not being available. After days or weeks of this, log in very early or late in the day and block anyone you need to. They won't be able to tell the difference between the block and the disabled account. To them, your account is simply gone but it didn't happen all of a sudden.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I enjoy my politics free island here.

Today I woke up to a series of political Facebook posts which ended in the line "If you don't agree with me, delete me. I dare you." Seriously, what on earth is that? "I dare you"? I get the sense this is one of those copy and paste thingies because the statuses are all have the same topic from wildly different people.

BTW - If you need to delete someone quietly, there is a pretty good trick. Go into settings and disable your account. Your account simply vanishes, until the next time you log in. Do this for as long as necessary for people to get used to the idea of your account not being available. After days or weeks of this, log in very early or late in the day and block anyone you need to. They won't be able to tell the difference between the block and the disabled account. To them, your account is simply gone but it didn't happen all of a sudden.
    I think if I disable my FB account it will stay disabled. I’m about one thread away from deleting the app from my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    But didn't it happen to them "all of a sudden" when you first disabled your account?

Grant Hutchison