Page 374 of 382 FirstFirst ... 274324364372373374375376 ... LastLast
Results 11,191 to 11,220 of 11446

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

  1. #11191
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    7,991
    And armistice day 11,11 is a big one this year, centenary. Poppies always poignant, they flower of course in disturbed ground so the dreadful battle fields of France and Belgium were covered with red poppies. I have attended the day just once at Ypres universally called “wipers” in UK , very moving, and many people can find family names on the memorials.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

  2. #11192
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,749
    Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    And armistice day 11,11 is a big one this year, centenary. Poppies always poignant, they flower of course in disturbed ground so the dreadful battle fields of France and Belgium were covered with red poppies. I have attended the day just once at Ypres universally called “wipers” in UK , very moving, and many people can find family names on the memorials.
    Known as "Veterans Day" in the USA. One of two holidays that was initially turned into a Monday holiday and changed back, the other being Independence Day. And the day I always remember that the only job I ever had that gave me the day off was when I was becoming one.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  3. #11193
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,677
    As I remember it, Congress never considered moving Independence Day to permanent Monday status: Too entrenched a concept. Interesting, because John Adams himself thought that the celebration should have been July 2 to commemorate the vote rather than the proclamation.

    I guess that the Julian/Gregorian issue which complicates hot to designate Washington's Birthday got them off the hook there.

  4. #11194
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I was always under the impression that VJ Day was never a big thing in Europe, whereas VE Day was (and understandably so).
    I think that's true. But VJ was big in our house, since my father spent the war in Burma. He'd already had three close shaves flying ground attack, and in June '45 been rotated out to India to convert from razorback to bubbletop P-47s (which the RAF called Thunderbolt I and Thunderbolt II, respectively), and from ground attack to air combat. He was just on the verge of rotating back into what was promising to be a long and grim campaign when the Japanese surrender came.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  5. #11195
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    48,144
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I think that's true. But VJ was big in our house, since my father spent the war in Burma. He'd already had three close shaves flying ground attack, and in June '45 been rotated out to India to convert from razorback to bubbletop P-47s (which the RAF called Thunderbolt I and Thunderbolt II, respectively), and from ground attack to air combat. He was just on the verge of rotating back into what was promising to be a long and grim campaign when the Japanese surrender came.

    Grant Hutchison
    I would think that in the UK that VJ-Day would be more important than say it was in France or Holland. My dad also was stationed in India, Burma, and China (though in the US Army) in WWII.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  6. #11196
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I'm sure someone will come along and correct me, but IIRC, Pagan/Wiccan holidays are the Solstices and Equinoxes, as well as the halfway points between those. Those halfway point holidays are still celebrated in some of the holidays of the general public: Groundhog's Day is halfway between the Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox, May Day is halfway between the Spring Equinox and the Summer Solstice, and Halloween is halfway between the Autumn Equinox and the Winter Solstice. I can't remember the one in the middle of the summer (the only August holiday I know of in the US is VJ Day, and only Rhode Island celebrates that one).
    The one in the middle of the summer is Lughnasadh (loo-nah-sah, with a very slight emphasis on the first syllable). There's an Irish movie called Dancing at Lughnasa. Inexplicable Meryl Streep role, but not a bad movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Gillian is, or at least used to be, a practicing Pagan. I remember her looking forward to an upcoming holiday which was to be celebrated with a meal of meat, grain, and dairy. Cheeseburgers!
    Indeed yes! I don't get to rituals much these days, as the group I practice with is a long drive from here, and the person I used to drive with is usually busy, but still practicing. And Samhain is red meat and root vegetables, so burgers and fries!
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  7. #11197
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    48,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The one in the middle of the summer is Lughnasadh (loo-nah-sah, with a very slight emphasis on the first syllable). There's an Irish movie called Dancing at Lughnasa. Inexplicable Meryl Streep role, but not a bad movie.
    Thanks. Sounds like I got it about 3/4 correct.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  8. #11198
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,233
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    ... He was just on the verge of rotating back into what was promising to be a long and grim campaign when the Japanese surrender came.
    My father was in the US Army Corps of Engineers. His unit was assigned to the D-Day landings, first wave, but he was temporarily reassigned in May and missed them. He rejoined them after and served as a combat engineer through France and into Germany. At the end of the European campaign, they were transferred to the Pacific theater to take part in the landings of the main Japanese islands. They were en route when the Japanese surrendered so the Army decided to just divert the ship to the US.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  9. #11199
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The one in the middle of the summer is Lughnasadh (loo-nah-sah, with a very slight emphasis on the first syllable). There's an Irish movie called Dancing at Lughnasa. Inexplicable Meryl Streep role, but not a bad movie.
    Presumably based on Friel's stage play with the same title. I know I've seen it performed twice, but I can't recall a single thing about it, which is probably a bad sign.
    It's Lunastal in Scots Gaelic, and Lammas in Scots - the latter reflecting a Christian hijack ("loaf mass"), though I see it appearing on many Wiccan wheels of life as an alternative to Lughnasadh.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  10. #11200
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,636
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    ...my father spent the war in Burma. He'd already had three close shaves flying ground attack...
    And thus the term “Burma Shave” was born.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  11. #11201
    Now that the wood is pretty much done I thought it was good time to plan the next project, looking for a job.
    First checked what the auction company schedule is and found out there are back and it is Monday in the evening which means it will all day, that work of thanksgiving dinner.
    Plus checked the job a lot of openings but they really don't tell you what, I really don't like that.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  12. #11202
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,523
    Clever's posting again and his posts are a particularly good way to chat and not do homework. I fall for it every time.
    Solfe

  13. #11203
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    35,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Clever's posting again and his posts are a particularly good way to chat and not do homework. I fall for it every time.
    OK, here's a post for you:

    GET BACK TO WORK!!!



    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  14. #11204
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Thanks. Sounds like I got it about 3/4 correct.
    You did, yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Presumably based on Friel's stage play with the same title. I know I've seen it performed twice, but I can't recall a single thing about it, which is probably a bad sign.
    It's Lunastal in Scots Gaelic, and Lammas in Scots - the latter reflecting a Christian hijack ("loaf mass"), though I see it appearing on many Wiccan wheels of life as an alternative to Lughnasadh.
    Not necessarily Wiccan, which is a distinct sect, but yes. You'll also see "Candlemas" for "Imbolc." Quite frankly, the religion is new enough that it borrows a lot anyway, and while it's believed that the early Christians borrowed a lot of Pagan holidays to woo the local people (see also Christmas), not all Pagans know enough to weed out the "no, seriously, this is Christian" bits.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  15. #11205
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    And armistice day 11,11 is a big one this year, centenary. Poppies always poignant, they flower of course in disturbed ground so the dreadful battle fields of France and Belgium were covered with red poppies. I have attended the day just once at Ypres universally called “wipers” in UK , very moving, and many people can find family names on the memorials.
    I haven't been to Ypres yet but I have been to the Somme, near Amiens, to visit the grave of my Great-Uncle who was killed there in 1916 during "the Big Push". He was 19 years old and his body wasn't found until 20 years after he went "missing". The Commonwealth War Graves Commission and the local people do a fabulous job of looking after the small cemeteries scattered across this region. All the ones I saw were beautifully kept and serenely peaceful.

  16. #11206
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,636
    Really trivial, but it bugs me every time I see the Trip Advisor owl logo.

    He has one green eye, and one red eye.
    Unfortunately, the red one is on his right side, and the green one is on his left.

    My inner boater says "something is wrong" whenever I see it.
    Boat navigation lights are red on left (port) and green on right (starboard).
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  17. #11207
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Really trivial, but it bugs me every time I see the Trip Advisor owl logo.

    He has one green eye, and one red eye.
    Unfortunately, the red one is on his right side, and the green one is on his left.

    My inner boater says "something is wrong" whenever I see it.
    Boat navigation lights are red on left (port) and green on right (starboard).
    He's coming straight at you! Change course! Now let's see, was it starboard to starboard, or port to port.

    Oh, wait: "his right side". Something, something, owls can turn their heads 180 degrees, something....

    Did I mention the Lumber Liquidators logo looks like a slide rule?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  18. #11208
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,749
    I just had a delicious burger for lunch and, as usual, forgot to tell the server to omit the lettuce, tomatoes, and onions. I never eat those and just wind up wasting food.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  19. #11209
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,636
    Many pharmacies in my area, especially the chain pharmacies, are aggressively advertising the fact that you can get a flu vaccination at their store.
    That's all well and good, but their signs claim "No Cost Flu Shot!*"

    The asterisk is included. If you visit the pharmacy, you'll find out that it is "no cost" only if you have health insurance that pays for it.

    Gee... who would have thought that something costs you nothing if someone else is footing the bill?
    What's next, shoe stores with signs that say "No Cost Shoes!*"
    *No cost to you if your parents buy them for you.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  20. #11210
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    35,631
    The advertising industry is the successor of the carny barker, but less honest. Buyer beware!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  21. #11211
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Many pharmacies in my area, especially the chain pharmacies, are aggressively advertising the fact that you can get a flu vaccination at their store.
    That's all well and good, but their signs claim "No Cost Flu Shot!*"

    The asterisk is included. If you visit the pharmacy, you'll find out that it is "no cost" only if you have health insurance that pays for it.

    Gee... who would have thought that something costs you nothing if someone else is footing the bill?
    What's next, shoe stores with signs that say "No Cost Shoes!*"
    *No cost to you if your parents buy them for you.
    Similar to "Free Shipping" which might be better said as "Shipping included but we're lowering the price"

  22. #11212
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,330
    People talking about "junk food". There aint no such thing! A burger can be very nutricious and with tomatoes, lettuce and sauce be good for you

  23. #11213
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,974
    Quote Originally Posted by peteshimmon View Post
    People talking about "junk food". There aint no such thing! A burger can be very nutricious and with tomatoes, lettuce and sauce be good for you
    Define "nutritious".
    Then there's the salt and the carcinogens.
    Eat the lettuce and the tomatoes.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  24. #11214
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,330
    Keeps you alive. And the onions!

  25. #11215
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,974
    Quote Originally Posted by peteshimmon View Post
    Keeps you alive.
    So, calories. Not an unmixed blessing, as we know.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  26. #11216
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    35,631
    Quote Originally Posted by peteshimmon View Post
    People talking about "junk food". There aint no such thing! A burger can be very nutricious and with tomatoes, lettuce and sauce be good for you
    Red meat was an uncommon bonus for our ancestors. Scavenged from predators whenever and wherever we could, mostly, which is probably why we eat aged beef. Not a reliable food source as we evolved. Our current food supply is out of whack with our innate digestive needs.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  27. #11217
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Similar to "Free Shipping" which might be better said as "Shipping included but we're lowering the price"
    I'm generally okay with it when someone says, "Shipping included but we're lowering the price."

  28. #11218
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,523
    Speaking of pharmacies, I just noticed my pharmacy is hosing me. I've been paying $18 for 25 test strips. That is with my discount/copay with insurance. They sell for $19 for 50 test strips on Amazon, with no insurance pricing. I'm tempted to fire off a nasty email asking for some sort of price matching or refund.

    Back to another thought: I have the worst oil attracting glasses. They are frameless and I guess I have super oily skin, so the smudge creeps from the edges to the top in no time. I have to clean them several times a day. If I thought washing my face with a bleach, alcohol and napalm combo would help, I'd do it. More seriously, I am tempted to by some of that Maroon Five/Adam Lavine skin cleaner. My next glasses will be cheap Buddy Holly style, full framed glasses and not the fancy frameless ones.
    Solfe

  29. #11219
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    ... Back to another thought: I have the worst oil attracting glasses. ...
    My glasses smudge a lot. I clean them and they get smudged almost immediately. My optometrist told me it's because of the anti-glare treatment. Apparently there are three grades and I got the cheapest. The more expensive treatments don't smudge as easily/quickly.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  30. #11220
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    35,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Speaking of pharmacies, I just noticed my pharmacy is hosing me. I've been paying $18 for 25 test strips. That is with my discount/copay with insurance. They sell for $19 for 50 test strips on Amazon, with no insurance pricing. I'm tempted to fire off a nasty email asking for some sort of price matching or refund.

    Back to another thought: I have the worst oil attracting glasses. They are frameless and I guess I have super oily skin, so the smudge creeps from the edges to the top in no time. I have to clean them several times a day. If I thought washing my face with a bleach, alcohol and napalm combo would help, I'd do it. More seriously, I am tempted to by some of that Maroon Five/Adam Lavine skin cleaner. My next glasses will be cheap Buddy Holly style, full framed glasses and not the fancy frameless ones.
    When I wore my old ten pound Coke bottles, I used to have to clean them all day long. Apparently, according to my old ophthalmologist, my eyelashes are too long. *flutter*
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Similar Threads

  1. Trivial coincidences from everyday life.
    By Buttercup in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 2012-Nov-02, 09:08 PM
  2. Trivial Relief:
    By Moose in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2006-Jul-19, 01:20 PM
  3. Bad Astronomy in Trivial Pursuit, Genus 5 Edition
    By tracer in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 2005-May-12, 01:52 PM
  4. Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...
    By Brady Yoon in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-29, 01:44 PM
  5. Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...
    By Brady Yoon in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-28, 01:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •