Page 375 of 382 FirstFirst ... 275325365373374375376377 ... LastLast
Results 11,221 to 11,250 of 11432

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My glasses smudge a lot. I clean them and they get smudged almost immediately. My optometrist told me it's because of the anti-glare treatment. Apparently there are three grades and I got the cheapest. The more expensive treatments don't smudge as easily/quickly.
    Our ophthalmologist also warned about the smudging tendency of anti-glare. We didn't get it and my distance glasses are fine. My OTC readers smudge like crazy.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    When I wore my old ten pound Coke bottles, I used to have to clean them all day long. Apparently, according to my old ophthalmologist, my eyelashes are too long. *flutter*
    That's interesting, because I have that issue, too.
    Solfe

Ok, this is kind of stupid and means nothing to anyone but me.

Here are two links to a research paper funded by the US Government. I can't get the full paper either way, because I haven't paid or something. The paper is called "TEST AND EVALUATION OF THE REVERSIBLE CONVERTER COUPLING REVERSE REDUCTION GEAR". It is from the 1980's.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1988.tb01496.x
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...REDUCTION_GEAR

Abstract:
    The Reversible Converter Coupling (RCC), designed and manufactured by Franco Tosi Industrial of Italy, underwent testing at the Naval Ship Systems Engineering Station (NAV-SSES) Philadelphia, Pa. in March 1984. The Franco Tosi RCC concept can be simply described as a conventional hydraulic coupling (i.e., input or pump rotor driving an output or turbine rotor) with a set of stationary blades that can be inserted between the two rotors to reverse the fluid direction and hence the output rotor direction. The purpose of this testing was to test and evaluate a main propulsion reverse reduction gear concept, using the Franco Tosi RCC, for its compatibility and applicability to gas turbine propulsion machinery configurations, specifically the AOE-6 class ship. Satisfactory development of a workable and reliable reversing system permits use of a fixed pitch propeller.The RCC models tested were the Original Type “79,” the Type “79” Prototype, the Type “79” Production, the Type “84” Production, and the Type “84A” Production. A series of tests was conducted to verify rotor integrity, determine RCC efficiency, evaluate machinery interface, and to determine the overall characteristics of the RCC design. Testing revealed that the Type “79” Production RCC was the most suitable for application on gas turbine powered main propulsion systems. The Type “79” RCC design was approximately 10 percentage points higher in astern efficiency than the Type “84” design and, although the structural integrity of the Type “84” design was superior to the Type “79” design, the Type “79” Production RCC was satisfactory for its intended use without introducing any operational restrictions.The Naval Sea Systems Command approved the Type “79” Production RCC for the AOE-6 class ship in April 1986, based on the information acquired during testing.
    Why the heck would I care? Because in 1981-1982, I spent more than a year away from my home, wife, and kitties designing the physical installation and hydraulic and electrical control systems for this test. A major event in my life. It would be nice to see the report.

Went down to the mail boxes and nothing there but a flyer. Sometime I should take a garbage bag with me, why can't people just throw stuff out when they get home.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Ok, this is kind of stupid and means nothing to anyone but me.

Here are two links to a research paper funded by the US Government. I can't get the full paper either way, because I haven't paid or something. The paper is called "TEST AND EVALUATION OF THE REVERSIBLE CONVERTER COUPLING REVERSE REDUCTION GEAR". It is from the 1980's.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1988.tb01496.x
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...REDUCTION_GEAR

Abstract:

Why the heck would I care? Because in 1981-1982, I spent more than a year away from my home, wife, and kitties designing the physical installation and hydraulic and electrical control systems for this test. A major event in my life. It would be nice to see the report.
    A kind soul has provided me with a link to an available PDF! Awesome. Slightly bugged that there were no photographs, but very interesting nonetheless.

I want to learn patience NOW, dangit!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Went down to the mail boxes and nothing there but a flyer. Sometime I should take a garbage bag with me, why can't people just throw stuff out when they get home.
    My apartment complex keeps a couple of recycling containers next to the mailboxes.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Television hosts who say "good luck" to viewers after a competition is trailed. Not all the people silly enough to enter will have this luck will they!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    My apartment complex keeps a couple of recycling containers next to the mailboxes.
    I wish Canada post would of thought of that when they put up the community mailboxes, usually there are one or two flyers on the ground in front of them. It is not the walk there and back you see most of the mess.

Graham didn't reset the alarm when he left for work this morning. I got Simon to his bus, but just barely.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Ants in my car
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Ants in my car
    I suspect you don't want advice about this; if so, ignore the rest of this post and that's fine.

My wife has such problems all the time: ants, mice, etc. Why - because she eats in her car and leaves crumbs. I never eat in my car, and never leave food in it, and so I don't have these issues.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I suspect you don't want advice about this; if so, ignore the rest of this post and that's fine.

My wife has such problems all the time: ants, mice, etc. Why - because she eats in her car and leaves crumbs. I never eat in my car, and never leave food in it, and so I don't have these issues.
    Your advice is good and valid. I do eat in my car, and it has something to do with the ants being there now. Also, I have not finished spraying the inside of the car with bugkiller [cough cough cough] and it might be that I parked over an anthill that was rained out, with the ants migrating to the nearest dry spot (my car). The ants appeared and got really bad within the last couple weeks.

But eating in my car, yes, that is not a good thing.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

My feet instead of a quick trip to the mailboxes I ended up in town.
    https://twitter.com/BackroadAstro/st...82027955945475

Cat barfed on my pillow. ON MY PILLOW!

The strange invented accent used by Scottish characters in film and TV nowadays. Overblown consonants but conservative with the vowels, so as to preserve intelligibility while telegraphing "broad Scots". After grinding my teeth through an episode of Outlander, I was amazed to discover they had a Scottish dialogue coach - so presumably this is a calculated confection for international audiences.
    Anyway, it was brought back to mind by seeing the trailer for Mary Queen Of Scots [sic without the comma, apparently, as if her name were "Mary Queen" and she came from a place called "Scots"], in which Saoirse Ronan sports quite the most elaborately strange Scottish accent. Particularly strange, since Mary wouldn't have had much of a Scottish accent at all, given her upbringing. But then, the trailer also included a furious face-to-face argument between Mary and Elizabeth I, so we're not holding our breath for authenticity.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

So how do you find David Tennant's accent? Sometimes I think he's putting it on a bit.

So how do you find David Tennant's accent? Sometimes I think he's putting it on a bit.
    His accent slides around a bit, sampling the Glasgow-Edinburgh axis with varying middle-class / working-class intonations. A lot of Scots speak like that.
    For Dr Who, he supposedly "lost" his accent - from my recollection of the few trailers I saw when he was the incumbent, he seemed to be affecting a sort of Estuary English accent, but leaking a little Scots into it. It was ... strange.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Yes, I'm extremely hesitant about that upcoming Mary Stewart/Stuart movie; it's exactly the time period for everything they get wrong to bother me. Like the fact that a bad French accent would be far more appropriate!

"You can't erase icing."

My professors are posting mid-term grades. This system doesn't work or the professors lie badly. Judging by the number of times I have show my professors the lack of midterm grades and how angry they get, they would never lie.

As near as I can tell, I have something approaching a 4.0. I'm never going to get an actual 4.0.
    Solfe

We are in the process of moving from our old house to the new one, 50 feet up the slope. Yesterday was supposed to be the day it was ready, but the buiilder put that off until Wednesday, but allowed as how we could put some stuff in. We had already scheduled the cable company to come an do the transition yesterday, so they did. Or not. He could NOT get the internet to work. Meanwhile, the old house had to be disconnected, so we've got no TV or internet at the old house and no internet at the new one, where we can't stay for a few days anyhow.
    On the plus side, I decided to try out the mobile hotspot feature of my phone this morning. It's providing better service than the cable company!

We are in the process of moving from our old house to the new one, 50 feet up the slope. Yesterday was supposed to be the day it was ready, but the buiilder put that off until Wednesday, but allowed as how we could put some stuff in. We had already scheduled the cable company to come an do the transition yesterday, so they did. Or not. He could NOT get the internet to work. Meanwhile, the old house had to be disconnected, so we've got no TV or internet at the old house and no internet at the new one, where we can't stay for a few days anyhow.
    On the plus side, I decided to try out the mobile hotspot feature of my phone this morning. It's providing better service than the cable company!
    Welcome to the future!

Today is the United States Grand Prix in Austin, TX. That makes it an important enough event to show on the main ABC network, not just on ESPN2. But not important enough to show live for us on the west coast, apparently.

I slept very badly last night, alternating between too hot and too cold--and having a long, recurring dream that kept coming back even after I woke up and went back to sleep.

"You can't erase icing."

It is getting to chilly to read outdoors, need to get a staples or such store to get a comfortable office chair.

I have to turn the electric heater on in my room.
    That there is this tree on the property, hopefully it doesn't fall on anyone, it probably be me. (And yes I am missing an "and" in the description. )
    https://twitter.com/BackroadAstro/st...33233453555717
    And one of cooking shows is coming to an end, it is more about the life of a chef then really cooking.

Our local council has just completed and extensive, and expensive, refit of my local library -- one of four they operate.

First the good part. It is much brighter and roomier with new tables, chairs, shelving etc. They have also introduced a new RFID system for checking your books in and out. To check them out you simply scan your card and then place your bundle of books on top of the RFID machine- no sorting etc - and they are all checked out in one go. To return them you put them on a particular set of shelves and they are are all checked back in automatically.

Now the bad parts. The scanning system is quick, efficient and saves libraries money by reducing staff time spent on straightforward tasks but it does take away the chance of a librarian suggesting books that might interest you. The neat rows of high shelves has been replaced by low - about 1.5 metre high - curved shelves which are each only about 3 metres long and placed in a sort of maze pattern. You have to wind your way down the lines of shelves trying to figure out which is the next unit in line. To make it more interesting the only tag on any shelf is whether it is Non-Fiction, Fiction, Young Adult etc. There is no indication of what alphabetical range any particular Fiction shelf contains nor any Dewey Decimal lables on the Non-Fiction ones. I suppose I will get used to it but it seems to me to be a case of form over function. Tables and chairs are scattered among these shelves and when people sit at these you have to squeeze in front of them to look for your books.

The new tables have included high cafe type ones, a fair way from the books, at which people were sitting drinking water and eating sandwiches. There were also monitors on the wall which people were using to play games - with speakers not headphones - low volume but still distracting. I like to think that I can accept change but I found the whole setup distracting,inefficient and not the quiet welcoming place libraries have always been to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I like to think that I can accept change but I found the whole setup distracting,inefficient and not the quiet welcoming place libraries have always been to me.
    Sounds more like a hipster internet café than a library.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Sounds more like a hipster internet café than a library.
    If they started selling coffee there it would just about fit the bill. Especially as it is coming up to local final exam time here so it was full of 16 & 17 year olds - admittedly they were mostly studying.

A4 and US letter paper are pretty close in size and dimensions, but just different enough that they don't fit well in each other's file folders.