Page 383 of 391 FirstFirst ... 283333373381382383384385 ... LastLast
Results 11,461 to 11,490 of 11710

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I think I have worn out or almost worn out the camera on my cell phone. Went for a walk in woods and went to take a picture and no click sound.
    Seems unlikely that you've worn anything out, unless it's the touch screen failing. The click is electronically generated - a skeuomorph.

Grant Hutchison

I have had issues with the touchscreen too.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I woke up this morning to to let the dog out, and could faintly hear the sump pump alarm sounding in the basement.

Apparently the float switch, a silly tethered thing that looks like the following image isn't reliably activating the main pump.
    I've repositioned it, but a replacement may be in its future.

Trivial because, the battery-powered backup pump triggered and prevented a flood.
    Unfortunately, its alarm is really wimpy and I barely heard it from one floor above.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I've better get some smaller boxes for the books and magazines of get rid of a lot of them.

I was online, looking over my retirement account balance when the power went out.
    ...except for my computer.

Then I remembered that I have the computer and monitor plugged into a very old UPS.
    In a race to beat the dying battery, I quickly told the computer to shut down.

It responded..."Installing updates, please do not disconnect power"

I shut off the monitor and hoped for the best.
    Fortunately, the computer came back to life when power was restored.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

The same up date hit my computer while I had about half an hour of a podcast left to listen to.

Our company IT will push software updates to company computers if you don't schedule them on your own. There were times when I was using my computer to host an online meeting and projecting it to a room full of in-person attendees only to get a flash message, "Software updates have been installed. Restart required." and a countdown clock, "60, 59, 58 ...".

At least it got a laugh.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

That must be a very sharp algorithm, the one that can choose the worst time for routine updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Our company IT will push software updates to company computers if you don't schedule them on your own. There were times when I was using my computer to host an online meeting and projecting it to a room full of in-person attendees only to get a flash message, "Software updates have been installed. Restart required." and a countdown clock, "60, 59, 58 ...".

At least it got a laugh.
    Our corporate IT must have finally got enough screaming about that and now you usually have an hour to restart, though we still have the countdown clock that insists on being on the top of all open windows.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    That must be a very sharp algorithm, the one that can choose the worst time for routine updates.
    It must be programmed by a dad! Because dads always know to call when you’re in the bathroom or in a hurry.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Good news! It took until the fourth windstorm for us to have a power failure so I could see if the generator worked.
    Bad news! It didn't.
    Good news! Technician arrived just as the power came back on.
    Bad news! He couldn't figure it out either.
    God news! Until he did. Turn's out there's a breaker on the outside wall above the generator to allow firefighters to kill power. It was off.
    Bad news! It got figured out while I was typing this message, so I didn't get it posted while the news was still bad.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

For a seasonal "bugs me" list, the radio stations that play tacky recordings of Christmas songs as sung by vocalists with teenybopper voices and mannerisms.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    For a seasonal "bugs me" list, the radio stations that play tacky recordings of Christmas songs as sung by vocalists with teenybopper voices and mannerisms.
    Or chipmunks. Or barking dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Or chipmunks. Or barking dogs.
    At least this holiday has more song options than Halloween's Monster Mash and Ghostbusters.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I actually like the Medieval Christmas music that no one plays!

Our power went out yesterday. On the first day of Simon's vacation, so two very excitable children in the house, one of whom is too young to fully understand that she can flip the switch all she wants and the lights are still not coming on.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Testing, testing....
    Hmm, ok now. A minute ago I was typing something on the other forum and fat-fingered some key combo or other, causing the browser to minimize. When I got it back, there was no response to the keyboard. I then closed the thread and when I clicked reply again it came up as a download. Weird.

Went to watch It's a Wonderful Life on Prime last night. They turn out to have it both B&W and colorized; guess which one I started so that I know this.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Went to watch It's a Wonderful Life on Prime last night. They turn out to have it both B&W and colorized; guess which one I started so that I know this.
    It must be your fault. I just turned on It's a Wonderful Life on free to air TV here and it is the colourised version. Which I didn't even know existed until your post. Next thing you know, The General will probably come on with Buster Keaton all pink tones.

My sister once saw some movie with Frank Sinatra where they'd given him brown eyes.

"You can't erase icing."

Somewhere, there's a hand-tinted B&W photograph of my father and uncle when they were children, standing in front of a row of green plants dotted with bright red and yellow flowers.
    They were potato plants.

Grant Hutchison

My sister once saw some movie with Frank Sinatra where they'd given him brown eyes.
    That was Suddenly (1954):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047542...item=tr0640204

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Somewhere, there's a hand-tinted B&W photograph of my father and uncle when they were children, standing in front of a row of green plants dotted with bright red and yellow flowers.
    They were potato plants.

Grant Hutchison
    I've seen white with yellow center potato plants, don't think I have seen any red ones maybe pink or purple.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I've seen white with yellow center potato plants, don't think I have seen any red ones maybe pink or purple.
    Yes, you get five white/pale lavender/pale pink petals (depending on the type of potato) with five chunky yellow stamens clustered together in the centre. Sometimes they go on to bear (poisonous) fruit.

The artist who tinted the photo of my father and uncle had seen the pale flowers, and carefully tinted them bright yellow and red.

Grant Hutchison

I can remember seeing several where the Native Americans had blue eyes. And they weren't even colorized.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I can remember seeing several where the Native Americans had blue eyes. And they weren't even colorized.
    f
    The two Native Americans (not) I immediately thought of (at least they didn't have blue eyes) were Iron Eyes Cody https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody and Grey Owl, who at least did some good as a environmentalist https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-24127514
    Last edited by ozduck; 2018-Dec-24 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    f
    The two Native Americans (not) I immediately thought of (at least they didn't have blue eyes) were Iron Eyes Cody https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody and Grey Owl, who at least did some good as a environmentalist https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-24127514
    Years ago I bought a collection of Grey Owl's works, thinking this was something every Canadian should read at some point. It took a few years to start reading it, and I couldn't stand the style, so set it aside. A few months ago I gave it another try, and after struggling with the first 50 or so pages, found it increasingly entertaining. I read a few pages every so often, and it may take me a year to complete at this pace... He was, an interesting, outspoken character with an unique perspective on the Canadian wild and the native people.

There's a free to play multi-player game on Steam called Neverwinter. It's an older title (~2013), but I had fun playing it last year. It's been over a year since I last played it, and I decided last night to fire it up for a bit. There's a "patching" phase upon start-up every time one plays, and this time the patch is so large, it's been DL'ing for over 12 hours and it's at 80%! Some of that is my poor DSL speed, but it's far from maxed out. I think most of the lack of speed is due to the server end. I may lose interest in playing by the time it's done.

CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"

lonelybirder.org

I'd have lost interest about 11-3/4 hours ago.

Well, what's worse is that now I think I remember the reason I stopped playing is because to advance further without massive frustration required my starting to buy the in-game micro-purchases for gear and spells. Ah well, it's at 91% now, might as well let it finish and see what I want to do.

Merry Christmas.

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2018-Dec-25 at 04:21 PM.
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"

lonelybirder.org

I mind the sleep loss on the current meds much more than the vivid dreams, but I could do without the recurring dreams about Stephen King's The Stand. Especially when I'm already sick.

"You can't erase icing."