Page 376 of 379 FirstFirst ... 276326366374375376377378 ... LastLast
Results 11,251 to 11,280 of 11361

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Several things today:
    Since we got a light snowfall last night the roads are probably a little slippery so a long walk I was planning going is being postponed.
    Since I can't find my orange hat I am not going down in woods today, I saw truck tracks going down thru the field.
    Last night I somehow set the toolbar to the top and can't get back on the bottom.
    And I can't get into my email, probably have to reset the password, sometime.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Just fixed the toolbar.

I had an assignment to analyze two of three poems. This was labeled Module I. At the end of the assignment, I felt very fresh and decided to go on to the next assignment, Module J. It was very late at night. In Module J, we were asked to analyze two of four poems. It was easy and I felt great. I was kind of confused as to why were permitted to analyze the same two poems twice in a row. I had a vaguely bad feeling about it, but considering how strong I felt my piece was, put it out of my mind. What could go wrong?

The next morning, the professor emailed me. I got a 100% on the first assignment and a 50% on the second assignment. The professor asked me why I analyzed the same two poems twice. I went back to Module J and reread the assignment 3 times. I was baffled, because clearly she was asking for analysis of four completely different poems. And for some reason, I knew that.

After rereading the Model J assignment half a dozen more times, I found the problem. The second assignment was labeled "Module J", however in every instance it is referencing "Module I". So I read the content, and still went back to Module I even though by context, I should have been working with Module J. No one else made this mistake OR No one else did the assignment correctly.

I feel like Indiana Jones: "Everybody is lost but me!"

Aw, crap. That feeling is a warning sign that you are doing something horribly wrong.
    Solfe

Having a chap dancing around in a death mask in a television advert. Pretty sure they are trying to thin out older people through fright.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    After rereading the Model J assignment half a dozen more times, I found the problem. The second assignment was labeled "Module J", however in every instance it is referencing "Module I". So I read the content, and still went back to Module I even though by context, I should have been working with Module J. No one else made this mistake OR No one else did the assignment correctly.
    Your professor is clearly an Ancient Roman. Watch out for Modules U and V, too.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I purchased a new vehicle about two months ago, and the other day I got an email requesting that I take a survey "about the vehicle".
    Today, I finally got around to clicking the link.

The first two questions appeared on my computer screen:
    1) What is your race/ethnicity?
    2) What is your income?

...and I clicked the delete button.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I got an email requesting that I take a survey "about the vehicle".
    Cherokee.

2) What is your income?
    Grand.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

My race is the Boston Marathon. My ethnicity is Jedi; non-practicing.

2) What is your income?
    Money, usually.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

They know that their survey is self-selecting, so they're trying to be aware of their sample.

Someone has vomited in our parking lot, which I discovered while dragging a reluctant Simon to the bus this morning. I was in no mood for "but I'm tiiiiiiired" after I spent three hours chasing him to bed last night.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I totally forgot to watch or record Doctor Who last night, and only realized it when I opened a thread in another forum. Spoilers!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yesterday while in town I wanted to get some paper bags to dry some herbs in well a least a picked up the lights for my room. Got one overhead light but it is not bright enough to read by in bed so picked a couple of led lights but had to use duct tape to keep them up.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yes, I'm extremely hesitant about that upcoming Mary Stewart/Stuart movie; it's exactly the time period for everything they get wrong to bother me. Like the fact that a bad French accent would be far more appropriate!
    Only the Channel 4 miniseries with Helen Mirren got that right.

Yes, I'm extremely hesitant about that upcoming Mary Stewart/Stuart movie; it's exactly the time period for everything they get wrong to bother me. Like the fact that a bad French accent would be far more appropriate!
    I'm like that with Napoleon. In English he's always given a thick, usually comically exaggerated French accent, instead of the Corsican/Italian one that his contemporaries said made him difficult to understand in French.

Two school-related ones this morning.

First, at the beginning of the school year, we had a different bus driver than we do now. The previous bus driver would pull over to the curb, which there's plenty of room to do, to do pick-up and drop-off. The current one just stops in the middle of the street. This both backs up morning traffic for a block behind him (we're not a hugely busy neighbourhood most of the time, but the county courthouse is down the block and we do have a bit of rush hour) and means the kids have to cross into the street, past a full car-width of parking space and then the bike lane. I may send an irritated e-mail to the school transit people.

Second, Simon's having a school fundraiser where they're selling cookie dough. Okay, fine; the school does some fun stuff with the money they get, and goodness knows schools need money. They also have an option where the kids get credit for a sale if people just donate $8.50. Still nice. But I have friends outside the Greater Puget Sound Area who would be interested in supporting Simon's fundraiser, and the school does not have an online option set up. Well, okay, that's understandable. But I e-mailed the PTA four days ago to ask what to do about that and still haven't heard back. My plan right now is to just have my friends and family send us the money, and we'll write the school a check.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Two school-related ones this morning.

This both backs up morning traffic for a block behind him
    Maybe if you can get the message out locally, the car drivers involved will back you up. I know that I would.

The previous bus driver would pull over to the curb, which there's plenty of room to do, to do pick-up and drop-off. The current one just stops in the middle of the street. This both backs up morning traffic for a block behind him...
    I infer from this that when a school bus is pulled over to the curb to pick up (or drop off) students, traffic is not required to stop. Is that correct? That's different than it is here.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I'm like that with Napoleon. In English he's always given a thick, usually comically exaggerated French accent, instead of the Corsican/Italian one that his contemporaries said made him difficult to understand in French.
    I saw a film once in which Bonnie Prince Charlie was given an appropriate French accent, but one that unfortunately made him sound like Inspector Clouseau: "We shall draw up ze men 'ere, on ze edge of zis moor you call Cool-oh-den."
    I think it may have been Peter Watkins's strange docudrama Culloden (1964) - filmed as if by an embedded TV war correspondent.
    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I want taxpayers to have special license plates, and the school buses should have to defer and yield to them.

There I go with those radical ideas!

Trying to stay away form computer as much as possible to do some reading and for other reasons during the day but I could not resist a quick look. I am so weak.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I started to read Napoleon's hundred days by the French ex prime minister or whatever, but I gave up half way through, it was difficult to get into the drama somehow.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I want taxpayers to have special license plates, and the school buses should have to defer and yield to them.

There I go with those radical ideas!
    Around here, it's impossible not to be a tax payer. Especially if you drive--we have gas taxes.

I woke up at about 7:50 this morning. Simon's school bus is supposed to pick him up at 7:45. So that meant driving him to school. Then, on the drive home, I heard a commercial that played "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year."

"You can't erase icing."

Around here, it's impossible not to be a tax payer. Especially if you drive--we have gas taxes.

I woke up at about 7:50 this morning. Simon's school bus is supposed to pick him up at 7:45. So that meant driving him to school. Then, on the drive home, I heard a commercial that played "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year."
    How did they know it was birthday coming up. (Yes that is a joke.)

Our new house, unlike the old, is easily accessible from the street. It's Halloween. I bought candy. I put on every possible outdoor light. I put out punkins.

It's dark. No kids.

To heck with it, I'm eating the candy.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Our new house, unlike the old, is easily accessible from the street. It's Halloween. I bought candy. I put on every possible outdoor light. I put out punkins.

It's dark. No kids.

To heck with it, I'm eating the candy.
    Our current house, of thirty years, is easily accessible from the street. It's Halloween. As sunset approached we turned out the lights in the front of the house, and moved to the upstairs rear. We bought wine.

It's dark. No kids.

Air punch. We drank the wine.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

We only got about 7, niece and her friend, friend of the family and his kids, and one other. More candy for us. Most trick or treaters do it in town, the houses are closer together. Had only two more kids than Jack o-lanterns.
    https://twitter.com/NBAstroFarm/stat...18669109878785

I've had about 70 so far, with an hour before fireworks start, which will mark the end of the monsters coming by. I'm sure that about 20 walked right past the house as it was getting dark (I could hear them) - I hadn't turned on any lights. I don't want any of those sugary treats I bought left over, so I turned on the lights and the trick-or-treating resumed.

I didn't keep count, but we must have 30 or so kids, and this was on a rainy night. We ran out of candy. Turned off the outside lights and that was that.

I asked one kid, dressed like Harry Potter, if he knew a spell to end the rain. There was a girl who was, I think, some sort of unicorn/princess combo. Another girl was dressed like an ear of corn. I don't particularly recall any of the rest.

Luckily, I don't have to eat the left over candy.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

The local comics store gave away free kids’ comics on Saturday that you could give to trick-or-treaters. I got about nine, because in my old building, I got about seven visitors both years I did it. If I ran out, I had five UNICEF comics I had gotten at Comic-Con, and if I ran out of those, I could always pass along the Scooby-Doo comics I’ve been getting every month.

I was massively underprepared, I had given away 20 comics before an hour had gone by, and I had a pot of pasta boiling on the stove, so I couldn’t run to the Residence Advisors’ Office and get anything else to give away until that was done... but kids were still coming! I went to my drawer to check if I had any more comics, and didn’t find any, but I found my Instax camera (a “Polaroid” in the colloquial sense but actually made by Fujifilm) and several packages of spare film. When the next group came by, I explained that I had just run out of comics, but I could give them a photo of themselves in their costume to keep. They got excited and walked away flip-flopping their photo as they waited for it to appear. After two more groups, the pasta was ready, so I turned off the stove, taped a “Back in 10 Mins” sign to my door, and went downstairs to get goodies from the office. After that I gave out pretzels and stickers, and offered everyone a photo as well.

It bugs me that I didn’t get enough comics, but I am very happy that both the comics and the photos went over so well.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Well handled, Kai. You apparently think well on your feet.

We had about 20 little visitors. This is our first Halloween at this house, and weren’t sure what to expect. Neighborhood is old, but experiencing a turnover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

According to our count we gave away about 60 snack bags last night.