Page 362 of 370 FirstFirst ... 262312352360361362363364 ... LastLast
Results 10,831 to 10,860 of 11083

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

So yesterday afternoon I went for a walk and did as my physical therapy team suggested.

THAT makes me want to fall over backwards after a block or so. So I have to stop and rest until things get back to normal.

Either that or start carrying a second, shorter cane clenched between my buttocks to keep me from going over backwards. (Like those thingies they put on drag racers to keep them from popping wheelies on the track.)

But that might draw negative social comments from onlookers.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Knowing that if my glasses don't get in the morning I have to wait two weeks because the eye doctors office is closing for vacation for two weeks and they close early on Fridays.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Jun-14 at 08:04 PM.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

So I'm in work, our weekly Friday morning breakfast treat has been ordered for 9:30. I have a meeting @ 8:30 am, then one @ 9 am, then another @10 am, then the last one @ 11 am. Which means my breakfast will now become my lunch and it will be a re-heated bacon & sausage sandwich.

I forgot to pay the friend back who bought the movie tickets.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Knowing that if my glasses don't get in the morning I have to wait two weeks because the eye doctors office is closing for vacation for two weeks and they close early on Fridays.
    Won't be getting the galsses for over a week now.

Aw! I was hoping you were going to beat that deadline.

That sucks.

In a way it is good thing because next weekend the auction is coming and it will give me the funds to pay it off all myself without any help from the family. I could of gone to an one hour place somewhere but I have going to this eye doc since grade 11 off and on for glasses and a now a cousin works there.(She worked at the call center too and for a lot longer than me. )

Well, I got a funny story for you then.

I was still in the Navy and we had been out to sea for a while. I had come off the flightdeck, still in all my gear when I walk into my shop and my chief is just getting off the phone, turns at his desk, says, "Hey Don! Catch!"

And from fifteen feet away bounced a wad of paper off of my nose.

Chief Baker had just got off the phone with our Skipper (Squadron's, not the Ship's) The Skipper, during the last launch cycle, couldn't help but notice how much I was squinting on the flightdeck during the prelims prior to engine start. After engine start everyone wears shaded goggles, at least during the day. Not as noticeable.

(Wow. I just had a rush of adrenaline at the memory of the engines of 50 to 60 combat aircraft coming to life at once in a five acre area.)

Anyway, that wad of paper to the nose was Chief Baker's vision test. I failed.

I had lost my glasses in a previous inport period at Pearl, and didn't put in for another set because at sea the only frame choice was the Clark Kent special.

I don't look good in Clark Kent specials.

But neither my Chief nor my Skipper were sympathetic to my offended, 19 year old fashion sense. Especially when they found out I had lost my glasses near the beginning of the cruise and had been Mr. Magoo'ing it for months.

(You know those dreams everybody hates, where you go to sleep and find yourself naked in a social situation? It's much, much worse when you *wake up* and find yourself naked in a social situation. That's how I lost my glasses. Just sayin'.)

Almost got the Clark Kent type frames, I wanted something more rugged then previous ones I tend to some stuff out doors with stuff flying and I am I bit accident prone.

When I got my first glasses my grandfather was living with his second wife in town, Being the forgetful type I left them there one night, for the weekend. There were actually made from glass and metal so they were heavy and took a while to get use to, All that weekend I could still feel them on the bridge of my nose.

Being a bit older than BigDon, I had the Clark Kent frames in high school, exactly like every single one of my myopic peers.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Being stupid bugs me.

Doing my Saturday morning newspaper puzzles, and did a Ken Ken (soooo much better than Sudoku) 3 times (!) before I realised the step at which I kept tripping up was where I had a "4" in a 2 square cage with the rule "1-", and thought I'd made a mistake because neither "5" nor "6" could be the other number! Sigh. (Making assumptions about where I'd gone wrong made me go back and repeat my mistake - twice. Half the reason I do these puzzles is to try to train myself out of those bad thinking habits.)

Then in the crossword, the clue for the third across word was "Tints of colour", for a space that already had "t_n_s", so I wrote down "tints", which was in the clue, darn it. (I wasn't quite happy with "tones" as the answer, until I got the first and second across words, "role" and "inns".)

The day will get better later, when the All Blacks beat France.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    ...the only frame choice was the Clark Kent special.
    When my brother was in the Navy, they called them “BCs”, for “birth control”.

The implication was that no woman would have anything to do with you if you wore them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Well nuts. Our oven being broken, and not worth being fixed prior to the new house being done, I was just cooking a frozen pizza in the toaster oven. All was well, almost done, by I noticed the crust nearest the door was a bit less brown and decided to rotate it. In the process I got it a bit too far out and needed to move it back. I moved it back all right: Right off the back of the wire shelf and down onto the elements. Smoke ensued. I've salvaged enough to eat but alas, no leftovers.

We're closing on our house purchase at the end of the month, and our rental home apparently knows.
    Lots of things are breaking. Two ceiling fans have finally decided to fully die (they were slowly losing speed options), the toilet flush handle broke off, a towel rack decided it wanted to pull a hole in the wallboard, and now the AC isn't cutting it.

I can fix little things, and my dollar cost is generally limited by our lease, but anything substantial requires my taking time off from work to babysit a contractor (twice - once to determine an estimate, and again for the repair).

The one item that may prove especially problematic is the AC. It failed last year, and the contractor recommended replacing the unit. My landlord decided not to replace it, and now it's failing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Well nuts. Our oven being broken, and not worth being fixed prior to the new house being done, I was just cooking a frozen pizza in the toaster oven. All was well, almost done, by I noticed the crust nearest the door was a bit less brown and decided to rotate it. In the process I got it a bit too far out and needed to move it back. I moved it back all right: Right off the back of the wire shelf and down onto the elements. Smoke ensued. I've salvaged enough to eat but alas, no leftovers.
    I just walked out to the kitchen and found my lovely wife had already cleaned the toaster oven! I just need to burn a little off the element. That doesn't bug me at all! She's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Being a bit older than BigDon, I had the Clark Kent frames in high school, exactly like every single one of my myopic peers.
    Yep, me too - and in primary school as well.

Psha!

Yet more lifestyle restrictions!

I'm now under official doctor's orders not to get punched in the head anymore. Ever.

Not even in play. And they seemed to really mean it too.

I thought not being allowed to cook anymore sucked.

Double post.

I'd probably sooner get punched than cook, but that's just me.

I am very much looking forward to doing some cooking when our house is complete.

I would rather cook, I don't think I have hit in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post

The implication was that no woman would have anything to do with you if you wore them
    My dad wore them while he was married to my mom, so . . . .

I can't cook anything until I load the dishwasher. Again. I'm really looking forward to the kids' being old enough to take turns at it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My dad wore them for quite a while before and after marrying my Mom. She still looks at photos of him wearing them an has a mini-swoon and has to fan herself.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Out of gas for the bbq.

Out of gas for the bbq.
    After that happened a few times, I decided it was worth the money to spring for a second propane tank.

I actually have one it was left here by the BIL. Him and my sister got a free camper with a couple of propane tanks. All he did with the camper was take it out to his wood lot and put on hill just for a spot to hangout and didn't need the tank for that. So he left here, some day I will get the tanks filled.

Out of gas for the bbq.
    After that happened a few times, I decided it was worth the money to spring for a second propane tank.
    Okay, let's be very, very clear on this. If it uses gas, it's not a barbecue, it's a grill. Barbecue uses wood or, maybe, charcoal.

(We have laws about this in Texas.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Okay, let's be very, very clear on this. If it uses gas, it's not a barbecue, it's a grill. Barbecue uses wood or, maybe, charcoal.

(We have laws about this in Texas.)
    I just need a pit large enough.
    https://twitter.com/BackroadAstro/st...98386373390337

Oh piff, just knock down the taller stuff in a fifteen foot wide circle and then throw a match on it!

And then break out the weinies!

I was just copying a bunch of pictures from our phones to the computer, to add to my archive of pictures of the new house. That was made more difficult by this (Win7) computer treating all of those files as music, for some reason, so that viewing "details" gets you information like "track number", "artist", "album" instead of the dang saved date. That's when looking at them on the phone, of course, they are fine once copied but it makes the process more awkward to find what I want.

BTW I realize I've neglected the New House thread and will try to post something later today. We have a blue tin roof now!