Page 377 of 379 FirstFirst ... 277327367375376377378379 LastLast
Results 11,281 to 11,310 of 11368

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Took the kids out. Couldn't find parking in the neighbourhood that goes all-out, but we found another, smaller area and had a good time. Except I'd penned Irene in her stroller, since I didn't think she was up to the level of walking, and there were a ton of sidewalk cracks. The stroller (which Henrik bought us before Simon was born, actually) caught all of them. We were clearly there toward the end of the evening, though, because some people shoved literal handfuls of candy in the kids' bags and then offered candy to the three grown-ups accompanying them.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I didn't keep count, but we must have 30 or so kids, and this was on a rainy night. We ran out of candy. Turned off the outside lights and that was that.

I asked one kid, dressed like Harry Potter, if he knew a spell to end the rain. There was a girl who was, I think, some sort of unicorn/princess combo. Another girl was dressed like an ear of corn. I don't particularly recall any of the rest.

Luckily, I don't have to eat the left over candy.
    I don't HAVE to eat the leftover candy....
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

You just want to.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I don't even WANT to, but it's there!

Trying to limit myself to one of the treat bags a day. Leftover candy is good on a long hike.
    Which reminded me of a walk I want to do but the weather is not making that easy. I use to the walk all the time, well have of it because my grandfather was living there. One time I had to do it in the dark with an asthma attack because I left my meds there while I suppose to be house sitting and mom was gone for the night. That was almost 21 years ago, half my age now.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I've had about 70 so far, with an hour before fireworks start, which will mark the end of the monsters coming by. I'm sure that about 20 walked right past the house as it was getting dark (I could hear them) - I hadn't turned on any lights. I don't want any of those sugary treats I bought left over, so I turned on the lights and the trick-or-treating resumed.
    60 or so, down 50% from last year, according to my spouse's numbers. We had storm troopers and black panthers and a two-year-old granddaughter named Samantha dressed up as Sam I am

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    ... and a two-year-old granddaughter named Samantha dressed up as Sam I am
    Did she get green eggs and ham in her trick-or-treat bag?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I am very trivially bugged by the use of the “[X] things you wanted to know about [Y] but were too afraid to ask” snowclone in cases where [Y] is something not especially scary in any way. Why would I be afraid to ask about UNICEF or soccer or the Route du Rhum?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I am very trivially bugged by the use of the “[X] things you wanted to know about [Y] but were too afraid to ask” snowclone in cases where [Y] is something not especially scary in any way. Why would I be afraid to ask about UNICEF or soccer or the Route du Rhum?
    Or 10 things didn't know about X, I knew most of it. All of it is just to get to click the link. Another thing is every fact has its web page, it just done to increase the number of hits.

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    60 or so, down 50% from last year, according to my spouse's numbers. We had storm troopers and black panthers and a two-year-old granddaughter named Samantha dressed up as Sam I am
    Final count was 88, one up from last year, but it should have been more than 100 had I not neglected the lights.

One very little girl asked me if I recognized who she was, and I said that she was obviously the White Witch of Narnia, to which her mother standing further down the driveway cheered. I hardly believed that I was able to put a name to that costume, it's been so many years since my kids were young enough to be into that.

A student was kneeling in my chair, twirly around and around. I thought was cute and rolled her to the table before asking her to take her own seat. I had a seat next to her and started our lesson. About five minutes in, I leaned back and felt this wetness ooze into my shirt from my shoulder blades to the small of my back... The student had been chewing/teething on my seat back and of course, I didn't notice until it was too late.

I hate the game "Why is it Wet?

There is a surprising amount of information can be gleaned from the texture and temperature a liquid in a classroom. Most of it, panic inducing.
    Solfe

my sleep schedule goes rogue once and while sometimes like the last few days it has been rainy and nothing much to do so I don't tire out. Other times my brain just keeps thinking about stuff coming up.

Not really worth of it's own thread as it will stop being annoying in a couple of days, but daylight saving time: good, bad or indifferent?

If you don't have it in your country, do you want it?
    Solfe

Bad, outdated.

Here in Indiana it's still a fairly new change, and people are still adjusting to it. But IMO it's no longer serving its purpose, and now just confuses people.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Not really worth of it's own thread as it will stop being annoying in a couple of days, but daylight saving time: good, bad or indifferent?
    I've long hated the change, as in the winter my work hours have typically meant I switch from going home with a bit of sunlight to complete darkness. It also takes me a good week each time the time change happens to really adjust to it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Bad, outdated.

Here in Indiana it's still a fairly new change, and people are still adjusting to it. But IMO it's no longer serving its purpose, and now just confuses people.
    For an example of why it's bad, my niece is at her dad's this weekend. But she left on her alarm here at home which went off in the room next to mine, at 6 AM. Which, thanks to DST, is now 5 AM. Good morning!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    For an example of why it's bad, my niece is at her dad's this weekend. But she left on her alarm here at home which went off in the room next to mine, at 6 AM. Which, thanks to DST, is now 5 AM. Good morning!
    Ugh! Kids!

My duaghter got up at her usual time and can't figure out why no one will play Minecraft with her.
    Solfe

I don't mind it, exactly, but I do resent that we spend more of the year in Daylight Savings than in "standard time."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Apparently Windows 10 prefers DST as well. My laptop still thinks it's living one hour into the future. Harrumph.

ETA: Never mind. Apparently the automatic update setting was never turned on...go figure.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2018-Nov-04 at 04:36 PM.

I guess that I wasted the extra hour setting various clocks and timers.

Each one has its own scheme, though they're close enough to make it worse. One of my wristwatches, a Timex "Marathon," was particularly illogical and hence inscrutable.

I'd rather leave it on DST year-round. Although I admit that when the Army called me to "annual summer training" in January of 1974 in Anchorage, AK; and we had year-round DST due to an oil crisis, it was a bit weird to have sunrise at 11:00 AM.

As I say almost every year - leave it "standard", "fix" the zones so they are more centered on the proper meridians, and have "summer" hours or something if you want to "save" daylight. I get the appeal for later sunlight hours if you are not a morning person, but it seems weird to me to shift time totally in the way we do.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Daylight Savings Time is actually a secret government project to get everyone to do something without anyone understanding why.

This morning, I was awakened by a scam caller at 6 AM. I would've been annoyed if it were at seven, too, but it's worse being unable to get the extra hour of sleep.

"You can't erase icing."

Mrs Extravoice was getting unsolicited text message reminders to vote for a local candidate. She responded, asking them not to contact her anymore.

They sent her a text message saying she would be removed, and reminding her to vote for the candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

What do they do for DST in Indiana these days? My recollection from being in the army there years ago is that it was split between the Eastern and Central zones, with Indianapolis on the western edge of the Eastern zone. That gave them pretty close to DST anyhow. In the summer, eastern Indiana would NOT go on DST while western Indiana would, putting the whole state in the same zone for that period.
    I strongly agree that the zones need to be redone, mostly along state lines. In the example above, all of Indiana should have been central to begin with. Idaho is divided north and south, although those are practically different states anyhow.

There are of course difficulties with doing it by state lines. Again referring to Idaho, the Coeur d'Alene area is in the economic zone of Spokane, WA. Putting north Idaho in Mountain time might be problematic for that. El Paso, TX, is in the end of that little triangle sticking out to the west of the bottom of Texas. Its suburbs are mostly in New Mexico. And Old Mexico, for that matter. They probably need to remain in the same time zone. On the other hand, in many places the zone boundary is a few miles from a state line and could easily be adjusted. My recollection, for instance, is that the time zone change along I-90 between Montana (Mountain) and northern Idaho (Pacific) is a few miles into Idaho. That's a lightly populated area and could easily be adjusted.

Spare a thought for Kiribati, which used to be split in two by the International Date Line - there were only four days a week when office hours overlapped between the west and east of the country. They fixed it by having the eastern half skip January 1st one year, so the Date Line now takes a big panhandle around eastern Kiribati.
    And Kwajelein used to keep the same date as Hawaii, and so was a day out of sync with the rest of the Marshall Islands. They resolved the problem in a way that only a military establishment could - they dropped a day to synchronize with the Marshalls, but shifted their working week by a day to synchronize with Hawaii.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Most of the clocks I use get change automatically and no issues changing the times, what I don't like is the weather is so overcast this time of year you can't tell 10 am from 3 pm.

After repeated solicitations, I texted back to both gubernatorial candidates to kindly stop telling me how to vote.
    (Whichever goober becomes Guberner, I've already insulted him.)

Seeing words such as "their" misspelled "thier". That "I before E except after C..." is not a reliable spelling guide.