Page 378 of 379 FirstFirst ... 278328368376377378379 LastLast
Results 11,311 to 11,340 of 11352

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

"Daylight Savings Time" bugs me, just a little. It's "Daylight Saving Time" - the Daylight Saving Act (1918) in the USA and Canada, the Daylight Saving Bill (1908) in the UK.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Seeing ads for Christmas shopping, wait until after Remembrance day (nov 11), please.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    "Daylight Savings Time" bugs me, just a little. It's "Daylight Saving Time" - the Daylight Saving Act (1918) in the USA and Canada, the Daylight Saving Bill (1908) in the UK.
    Daylight Savings Time is a different thing. It's when you go out to the pub and spend all the money you saved up during the day.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Seeing words such as "their" misspelled "thier". That "I before E except after C..." is not a reliable spelling guide.
    I believe that falls under the "except when sounded like 'A' as in 'neighbor' or 'weigh'" exemption. English is a really silly language sometimes. Their, they're, there....

And then there are through, trough, tough, though; nun of witch rime.

In other news, I realized today that now they are totally passe, I have a lifetime supply of CFL light bulbs.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Grant Hutchison
    Hummmm... I went back and checked my post and noticed I typed it correctly, except for capitalization. I would not have been surprised if I had added an unnecessary s. Interesting Buffalo trivia: We add s to words that should never have an s at the end. The effect makes the word sound either plural or possessive, with no rhyme or reason to which one is which. A good example is a butcher called Federal Meats. A Buffaloian will say: "I when to Federals today." Does that mean it is owned by Mr. and Mrs. Federal? Or are there several of them and did you go to some or all of them? The extra s also appears as "anywheres" and "anyones".

I once read a book from the 1960s, and it mentioned the erroneous "s" as being an Indianan trait, slowly expanding eastward. It was notated as "common, except where unwelcome". I can't even decipher that statement. Humor? Sarcasm? Both?

I've never head of anyone, anywhere else tacking on extra s's for no good reason, so it must be unwelcome everywheres, except in Buffalo. I cringe every time I hear myself say it. It does not bother me when other people do it.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    In other news, I realized today that now they are totally passe, I have a lifetime supply of CFL light bulbs.
    I like CFL's. I have one in the light outside the house. The poor thing has survived having the whole light fixture knocked off the house twice, once by baseball and once by soccer ball. One bulb kept 3 different lights lit. "Cat-like Fluorescence Lightbulb". I wonder if it has 9 lives.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I've never head of anyone, anywhere else tacking on extra s's for no good reason, so it must be unwelcome everywheres, except in Buffalo. I cringe every time I hear myself say it. It does not bother me when other people do it.
    Except in the South. You do not go to a Kroger store, you go to a Kroger's. Daylight Savings Time. Not always applicable, but often enough.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Grant Hutchison
    I grew up in the Northeastern US, and I have never heard it said any way but Savings.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I grew up in the Northeastern US, and I have never heard it said any way but Savings.
    I also, but who are we mere mortals to argue language with Grant?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I also, but who are we mere mortals to argue language with Grant?
    Of course whether you say saving or savings no daylight is saved. It should be called "Get out of bed earlier season"
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Of course whether you say saving or savings no daylight is saved. It should be called "Get out of bed earlier season"
    Willett's book was entitled The Waste Of Daylight, and "saving daylight" was a corollary to that. The idea was that you "saved" daylight by removing it from your early morning activities (sleeping), and then withdrew that saved daylight in the evening, when it was more useful for you. So the situation is viewed from the vantage point of clock time, rather than solar time.
    I think "savings" came into common usage in the USA because of the justification offered for the introduction of DST - that monetary savings would be made. That goes all the way back to Franklin, and his observations about Parisians choosing to sleep during the sunlit morning, and burn candles in the late evening, all the time complaining about the cost of tallow.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Maybe it should be called “daylight shifting time.”

The truth of the matter is that there just isn’t enough daylight this time of year (at this latitude).

Shifting the clock doesn’t buy too much. Soon it will be dark when I leave for work, and dark when I return, regardless.

Accursed axial tilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Heh! I used to be disturbed by the expression "math" when we say maths meaning mathematics, a discipline of numerous avenues. Now I just think it is quaint. And as for "there" was there not a politician who said that mountains are climbed because they are they'ar!

George Mallory, a mountaineer, was the one who said, "Because it's there." Specifically about climbing Everest.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Maybe it should be called “daylight shifting time.”
    Hereabouts, it's British Summer Time, and we revert to GMT in the winter.
    Back in the 60s, the British government experimented with staying on BST all year. Since Scotland is well north and west of the place this decision was made, we ended up with some very late sunrises in the winter. I was a kid walking to school in the mornings, and it was quite scary. We were all issued with little reflective safety jackets, which was pretty much an admission that we were being put in danger. And we don't really need BST in the summer, since the daylight lasts so long here.

One of the consequences of living at the same latitude as Wrangell, Alaska.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Nov-06 at 04:53 PM.
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by peteshimmon View Post
    Heh! I used to be disturbed by the expression "math" when we say maths meaning mathematics, a discipline of numerous avenues. Now I just think it is quaint. And as for "there" was there not a politician who said that mountains are climbed because they are they'ar!
    Grant probably says "maths". I prefer "math".

There's a regional pharmacy chain around here called Bartell Drugs. Even their radio commercials say "Bartell's".
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Soon it will be dark when I leave for work, and dark when I return, regardless.
    Around where I live you get people saying "irregardless". That non-trivially bugs me!

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    ...daylight saving time: good, bad or indifferent?
    I vote bad. When I am King of the World, I'll abolish it.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Grant probably says "maths". I prefer "math".
    Maths is standard in British English. But mathematics, the multifarious discipline, is treated as a singular noun ("mathematics is hard to understand"), so that offers scant justification for keeping the s in the shortened form. Whereas mathematics, as a series of calculations, is often treated as a plural ("the mathematics to compute this trajectory were demanding").

There's a regional pharmacy chain around here called Bartell Drugs. Even their radio commercials say "Bartell's".
    Hereabouts, we often see that when referring to a company's outlets. Tesco has opened a new supermarket in town, but we're invited to go and buy stuff at Tesco's.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Last night, I was so tired I couldn't stay awake for The Daily Show and was asleep well before it started. It is now six AM, over an hour before I have to be up, and I can't get back to sleep.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

For some reason last night a couldn't watch youtube videos. Tried deleting my history that eventually got me video not sound, had to restart computer this morning to get sound back.

There is a thread on baby formula. As a teen, I worked at Toy R Us and they sold a small amount of baby formula. The problem was they wanted sell as many different brands as possible so they traded inventory quantity for variety. We were always out of one brand or another.

Invariably, "the new guy" would suggest to a young parent that a completely different formula would be fine for their baby. Parents don't like that "answer". Might as well say, "Crush up some Doritos in Schultz. Its better than baby formula!" The digging by the new guy to get out of that situation usually took the conversation from "ugh" to "fire! fire!" in 3 seconds.

I hated getting people out of that because I would have to say something to the effect of: "He's new. He doesn't know about babies."
    Solfe

I guess the fact that the new guy had science on his side wasn't considered at all relevant to the problem?
    (Unless, I suppose, he was pushing "follow-on" formula to a baby just a few months old. Or flirting with a real allergy or intolerance.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I guess the fact that the new guy had science on his side wasn't considered at all relevant to the problem?
    (Unless, I suppose, he was pushing "follow-on" formula to a baby just a few months old. Or flirting with a real allergy or intolerance.)

Grant Hutchison
    A little of both. Since it was a toy store, the baby formula was the ignored product on the shelf. We kept it stocked, but for the most part ignored it until it was a problem. It would be a little like grabbing a random bottle of motor oil and telling someone it was good for their car, without reading the label or knowing what kind of vehicle.

People looking for baby formula aren't looking for "good enough", they are looking for the "best" and the "best" is what they have always bought in the past. My wife and I gave our kids "the best" formula, which happened to be 3 different brands. They survived.

Then you have the added dynamic of exhausted mom sending baby-addled dad (and maybe frantic/angry/tired) to the store for the "best" thing and he shows up with the "wrong" thing. Dangerously close to Jack going to town for food and showing up with a handful of beans, because you can't return/exchange baby formula*.

*At the time it was legal to accept an exchange, but our store would not for safety/tampering reasons. If the situation was heading south, they'd take the return but then destroy it. We'd punch a hole in the can right in front of the customer. Better a loyal customer at the cost of some product over a possible risk. We didn't have many problems with theft of formula products, otherwise we would have had a different policy. (Edit - there were thoughts that destroying a baby product in front of the consumer reduced theft. Couldn't prove it, but it was a part of the thinking. People, even thieves don't like messing with babies.)
    Last edited by Solfe; 2018-Nov-10 at 11:48 PM.
    Solfe

Today my sis went to see the high school football team play about three hours away which meant my mother went into to town to keep an eye on youngest niece. Most of the day it was raining, so I was inside doing a few small things then about 40 minutes ago I noticed the skies were clear so went outside. Didn't realize it was now cold enough for a thin layer of ice to form on the top step going out of the house. Gravity and the lower coefficient of friction helped with that. Ended up my right back upper torso took most of the blow. Nice night good clear skies no moon.

Someone just ate my venison without noticing. Un-be-lievable.
    Couple at the next table in the hotel restaurant. Deep in conversation. Server arrives with the main courses: "I have gnocchi and venison." Woman glances at the dishes and points to the one with the green salad, still speaking to her partner. Guy leans back to accept the venison, still speaking. Neither even acknowledges the server.
    My wife points out to me that they'd ordered the same as us. Must be popular, we figure.
    Long wait. No sign of our food. Woman at next table calls to server and asks, "What are these things with my salad?"
    "That's the gnocchi."
    "Is it part of the salad?"
    "No. You said you had ordered the gnocchi."
    "No I didn't."
    Server takes this on the chin and turns to the man. "But you ordered venison?"
    "No, I ordered duck."
    "You have venison."
    "Really? Are you sure?"
    He had just eaten a significant proportion of two thick slices of venison loin. Setting aside matters of taste, appearance and texture, how big did he think this duck actually was?

So, yes, the server had got the wrong table. The diners weren't paying attention - at all, it seems. They got their dishes replaced immediately, because the duck and salad were ready. We waited all over again for our gnocchi and venison. But we did get a couple of complimentary glasses of wine out of it.

While we waited, my wife asked me, "Was there ever a time you were so fascinated by my conversation you could mistake venison for duck?"
    "Gosh," I said, "look at the rain outside."

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Nov-11 at 11:09 PM.
    Blog

Note:

That story is just fowl.

Oh, deer.

Anyone else hear Goofy's voice while reading that?

Roughly half the time I order at a restaurant, I think my order is the best thing on the planet until they put my wife plate down. Then I realize I really want what she order. Oddly, the same thing often happens to her and we share or switch.

The annoying part is when my wife wants what I ordered and I don't want to give up whatever I ordered. Then we share and I order desert. Apparent desert is one of my "tells", I never eat sweets unless I gave up something else that I wanted. I often order a coffee or perhaps a hot chocolate in lieu of something really sweet. My wife has a real sweet tooth, so she will "share" with me, which really means a token taste. I don't like sweets that much.
    Solfe

, "Was there ever a time you were so fascinated by my conversation you could mistake venison for duck?"

Grant Hutchison
    You took the only sensible course in your reply.

However, the other diners must have been involved in a fascinating conversation to not only not notice Venison instead of Duck but for the other person to not notice Gnocchi on their plate. They obviously have future careers as paid broadcasters. Or else have such bad taste buds that they couldn't notice the difference. My bet is actually that they were both so self-involved in their own individual utterances that nothing else in the world was important to them.