Page 348 of 381 FirstFirst ... 248298338346347348349350358 ... LastLast
Results 10,411 to 10,440 of 11424

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Or the "out of office" message that ended up on a road sign: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7702913.stm

There's a great website filled with those famous cake mistakes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	under+neat+that.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	23027

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Guy who worked at the place I work at, was named "John Smith".

Claimed he was once (as a teenager) beaten by a cop who thought he was being "funny" at a traffic stop. Claimed it often caused hassles.

Got around it by hyphenating his own name with his mothers maiden name, he became something like "John Fortesque-Smith".
    A soccer player named "Watt" was recently given a red card by a ref who thought he was mouthing off when asked his name.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My phone has been really slow to access the internet from home lately.

It turns out that it somehow switched to the “5G” connection of my router, and was connecting at less than 1/4 the usual speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Springing ahead.

I don't mind it, just springing ahead before it's even spring.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Advancing our clocks builds character

When your wifi keeps going in and out.

Waiting for the sleepy time chemicals to build up in your head.

When you have project you what to do but either weather, family or other obligations keep popping up.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Third stone from the Sun, Old Country, the land of Saints, Navigators and Poets.
    I find it exceptionally funny (with funny < 0.....) when you're called in to give advice and no one even bothers to listen to what you say....

"This parameter is a bottleneck, it must be at least 8 times what it is now. Increase it and we're good".
    Fast forward three weeks....... same value on the param .
    And the customer is whining like an upside-down pig because "it's broken".

Where did I put my katana.......
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
    ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza

Ye were not form’d to live the life of brutes,
    But virtue to pursue and knowledge high.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by UntrainedObserver View Post
    I find it exceptionally funny (with funny < 0.....) when you're called in to give advice and no one even bothers to listen to what you say....

"This parameter is a bottleneck, it must be at least 8 times what it is now. Increase it and we're good".

your advice is listened to in direct proportion to your fee. And so it should be.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Third stone from the Sun, Old Country, the land of Saints, Navigators and Poets.
    Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    your advice is listened to in direct proportion to your fee. And so it should be.
    I don't have a fee (I'll save you from a long rambling about Italy's curious IT environment....), is that the problem ?
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
    ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza

Ye were not form’d to live the life of brutes,
    But virtue to pursue and knowledge high.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    When your wifi keeps going in and out...
    ...and after demanding the cable company fix their lousy service, it turns out your modem is broken.

I knew a guy who did some after-dinner speaking. He decided he was going to phase it out, so doubled his fees as a way of reducing the number of bookings he got. His booking requests doubled.
    This suggested an interesting experiment to me, but he wasn't up for it - he just took down his website and refused any more bookings.

(In general I find the correlation between fee and quality of advice is very poor. The curve also tends to have a maximum, beyond which quality deteriorates as fee increases. A bit like the Michelin star system for restaurants.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Have you ever had to deal with people who come up with some weird and wacky stories because they do not like the truth.

On my website sometimes there is someone who wants to contact me but I do not like giving out my phone number there are people who like misusing such things so I leave my email and if they want my phone number they can ask for it.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Mar-13 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UntrainedObserver View Post

I used to be a furniture mover and I've never heard that one before!

I was laughing for ten minutes! I wish I knew this one ten years ago! That's much more politically correct than what I usually heard from drivers and dispatch.

Mr. Observer, I was raised my whole life in an old Italian-American neighborhood, first established in 1890, then a big influx in 1910.

Two old Italians who are really mad at each other can come up with such colorful language as to leave me in awe sometimes. Once, several years ago I wrote a list here of things I'd heard two 75 year old men who were fighting over the best way to grow tomatoes call each other. And even though there were no actually swear words, as the mods put it;

"We're not going to cite you but we are deleting this post..."
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I knew a guy who did some after-dinner speaking. He decided he was going to phase it out, so doubled his fees as a way of reducing the number of bookings he got. His booking requests doubled.
    This suggested an interesting experiment to me, but he wasn't up for it - he just took down his website and refused any more bookings.

(In general I find the correlation between fee and quality of advice is very poor. The curve also tends to have a maximum, beyond which quality deteriorates as fee increases. A bit like the Michelin star system for restaurants.)

Grant Hutchison
    as a past technology consultant I have to agree about quality and fee size but the point raised was whether people listen. One of my specialities was multidisciplinary trouble shooting and an important technique was to go and talk to the people who actually worked on the system. "Management" typically did not listen or know how to listen and that is why they employed consultants. Very often those workers would either know exactly or knew the changes that preceded the problem. My management consultant colleagues would agree, often the advice was obvious to anybody yet a board of directors would pay huge fees to be told and would only then act, (blaming the consultants for any hard decisions). This could be linked to the Peter principle which does tend to operate in large companies where consultants graze.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

as a past technology consultant I have to agree about quality and fee size but the point raised was whether people listen.
    I was responding to your second sentence:
    I don't think it should be. It just is.

One of my specialities was multidisciplinary trouble shooting and an important technique was to go and talk to the people who actually worked on the system. "Management" typically did not listen or know how to listen and that is why they employed consultants. Very often those workers would either know exactly or knew the changes that preceded the problem. My management consultant colleagues would agree, often the advice was obvious to anybody yet a board of directors would pay huge fees to be told and would only then act, (blaming the consultants for any hard decisions). This could be linked to the Peter principle which does tend to operate in large companies where consultants graze.
    Oh yes. My organization, on two separate occasions, a decade apart, brought in consultants to advise them on scheduling. The consultants were sent to talk to me, because I was the local expert on the problem. On both occasions I taught the consultants how our organization worked and pointed out the obvious solutions. They wrote down what I said and passed it on to management, who forwarded the documents to me, asking me to take action. So I eventually got to do what I'd been advising them needed done. All that was required was to pass my plan, unchanged, through an expensive consultancy firm.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I was responding to your second sentence:
    I don't think it should be. It just is.

Oh yes. My organization, on two separate occasions, a decade apart, brought in consultants to advise them on scheduling. The consultants were sent to talk to me, because I was the local expert on the problem. On both occasions I taught the consultants how our organization worked and pointed out the obvious solutions. They wrote down what I said and passed it on to management, who forwarded the documents to me, asking me to take action. So I eventually got to do what I'd been advising them needed done. All that was required was to pass my plan, unchanged, through an expensive consultancy firm.

Grant Hutchison
    yes consultants borrow your watch to tell you the time,...then keep the watch. In defense I will say I have met some very smart consultants, brave too, they often had to do the negotiating the proper people would not do. But it is weak management that is to blame and that is caused by the habit of employing yes men and women instead of independent thinkers. But then those ones get so frustrated in big organisations. My real job was new product development (in the "things" sense) and that thrived because directors just did not understand their own businesses or the idea of backing your own judgement when paid to do so. But that's another hobby horse so..enough.
    sicut vis videre esto

I was responding to your second sentence: (so it should be)

Grant Hutchison
    sorry sloppy snipping..On that what I really mean is that good advice is worth it's cost, like the chestnut about the mechanic who fixes the machine by turning a screw. It's a dollar to turn the screw and a hundred to know how to do it.
    sicut vis videre esto

The seats in this waiting room are really uncomfortable.

Part of my job back when I was a forester could be called consulting, minus the fee. I worked for the state government and was assigned a particular county, where I was supposed to assist landowners who had forest land but didn't know how to manage it. But of course not all of the property in the country was just forest land, so this also turned me into the county's ranch tree doctor, and its (sub)urban tree doctor, and its golf course tree doctor.

A typical problem at the golf courses was extremely heavy irrigation of the grass becoming too much water (with too high a pH) for the trees right next to the grass, especially those a bit downhill from it. In one such case, the company employee whose job was to take care of the ground and its plants was there with us when I told the golf course owner/manager what was wrong. It was exactly the same thing she'd already been told by her own employee. Maybe she became more likely to listen to him after that.

That actually just reminded me of another thing that bugged me in some of those cases. I needed to modify some of my explanations for how & why things were the way they were, to avoid accidentally letting any form of the word "evolve" slip out and immediately losing credibility in someone's view and/or getting into an evolution debate. (For example, different trees hadn't evolved or even adapted to drier or wetter ecosystems; they just belonged there for no specified reason.) The tendency to get spontaneous religious sermons ex nihilo was bad enough; I didn't need to add to it by triggering more of them myself.

We watch HGTV a lot. It's part of Scripps Networks, which as of a few days ago has officially been sold to Discovery Communications. I expect that by this time next year they'll be showing Haunted House Hunters. Or seeing mermaids at their beach houses.

Podcast that make it hard to download.

I was on a podcast for a friend back in October, and while I have my side of the discussion recorded--because he had to have me record my own and then send it to him--I haven't yet figured out how to download the whole thing.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I actually did a podcast once, kind of by accident. It was an on-line live tutorial for one of the Royal Colleges, who subsequently converted it into a podcast. Probably still out there, somewhere, but I've no intention of ever listening to it. "Live" is not how I would choose to make such a recording.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

My dad and social media. You'd be surprised at the number of times he means to message me and then makes it his Facebook status instead. His text and messages look like letters.

"Dear Phil, How are you and the kids doing? Your mom and I..." and on and on.

Tonight he posted something he meant for my sister on my a post I made, but didn't say her name and referenced things I have never heard of. I had to call to make sure he was ok and not having a stroke. My mom has a slightly different glitch. If she posts something and the page doesn't reload fast enough for her liking, she posts it again. Drives me bonkers.

My mom is kind of a techie, but not very good at it. I found this out the hard way when someone at work accidentally distributed my emergency contact information instead of my pager number. My mom was fielding my tech support calls and doing a funny but terrible job: "Do you have a mac? No? Is there someone there who has a mac you could use? Phil has a mac? That's my son. Can you put him on the phone? Yes, I'll wait." For a while, I thought my mom was calling the call center number to get in touch with me. Nope. Weirder than that...
    Solfe

oooh. Duplicate post. Sorry about that. How annoying.
    Solfe

All of my black socks seem to have holes in the toes and every time I sew one up, another one seems to develop a hole.

This morning I had a text come through on my phone 1/2 an hour before my alarm was due to go off. This woke me out of routine and though only a little earlier than expected has left me feeling tired and lethargic.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We watch HGTV a lot. It's part of Scripps Networks, which as of a few days ago has officially been sold to Discovery Communications. I expect that by this time next year they'll be showing Haunted House Hunters. Or seeing mermaids at their beach houses.
    The only place to see mermaids is when they parade at Coney Island

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.