Page 340 of 343 FirstFirst ... 240290330338339340341342 ... LastLast
Results 10,171 to 10,200 of 10270

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Wait. You aren't fond of your friends?
    (sigh)
    Fond of them to.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Just don't accidentally put an 'l' in there...
    You might end up with a law suit.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

I've had bad luck finding old friends on Facebook. Either I can't find them at all--they may be dead for all I know--or we've both changed so much that it becomes clear right away that if we met for the first time today, we would never become friends.

Almost like finding my childhood shoes. After all the trouble of locating them, they won't fit anymore, so why bother looking for them?

Sales data collection.

I was in a nearby town yesterday and went to a guitar store to buy some strings while my wife was in another store. I found some I liked and went to check out. The strings are $8 and I'm holding a $10 bill.

Sales clerk: "Phone number please?"
    Me: "uh...678-xxx-xxx"
    Sales clerk: "First name?"
    Me: "George"
    Sales clerk: "Last name?"
    Me: "Could you just ring me up please? I don't live around here."
    Sales guy: "Well, we're supposed to do this. Are you paying with a credit card?"
    Me: "No." (Hands him the tenner)

He relented and took the money.

*Sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Sales data collection.

I was in a nearby town yesterday and went to a guitar store to buy some strings while my wife was in another store. I found some I liked and went to check out. The strings are $8 and I'm holding a $10 bill.

Sales clerk: "Phone number please?"
    Me: "uh...678-xxx-xxx"
    Sales clerk: "First name?"
    Me: "George"
    Sales clerk: "Last name?"
    Me: "Could you just ring me up please? I don't live around here."
    Sales guy: "Well, we're supposed to do this. Are you paying with a credit card?"
    Me: "No." (Hands him the tenner)

He relented and took the money.

*Sigh*
    Oh, I hate that. I've gotten to the point where, in your situation, I would've said "No," as soon as they asked for my phone number.

In fact, I did that once at a store and, after the clerk just went ahead and started ringing me up, heard the young man in line behind me say to his companion, "Oh, I guess you don't have to give them your phone number."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Oh, I hate that. I've gotten to the point where, in your situation, I would've said "No," as soon as they asked for my phone number.

In fact, I did that once at a store and, after the clerk just went ahead and started ringing me up, heard the young man in line behind me say to his companion, "Oh, I guess you don't have to give them your phone number."
    I don't run into it too often. And I don;t think he would have asked if I had paid with a credit card because the store gets the card data anyway.

Radio Shack was the worst - they wanted your life history and blood type for a two-dollar pack of resistors.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post

Radio Shack was the worst - they wanted your life history and blood type for a two-dollar pack of resistors.
    I remember that! I used to put even the smallest purchases at Radio Shack on their credit card, because (as I told them) there was no point in paying cash when they were going to ask for your name and address anyway. (All this ever got me was one more copy of their catalogue with yet another misspelling of my name!)

Until once, when the guy ahead of me in line refused to give any information (he was paying cash) and they let him get away with that. Once he left, the clerks laughed a lot, describing him as crazy and paranoid. That got me so mad that I told 'em that the man was correct, that I could buy this item somewhere else, and would do so. No sale!

Bad anniversary 28 year ago my grandmother died which means it was 28 years ago I last spoke to her and it was an argument over a tv show.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

When Radio Shack asked for my phone number, I used to say ď3Ē.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    When Radio Shack asked for my phone number ...
    I give them my home phone number. It's ringer has been turned off for years and there's no answering machine on it. We use it strictly to have a presence in the phone book.

And to give a number to store cashiers.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I give them my home phone number. It's ringer has been turned off for years and there's no answering machine on it. We use it strictly to have a presence in the phone book.
    Why would you want a presence in the phone book if the phone's effectively disconnected?

Grant Hutchison

Jim, gave me an idea, we had a phone for a log cabin and phone has been disconnected for years, I should give them that one. I actually used it on the form at one time.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Just say no. They don't need any info to sell you something. it's just so they can send you advertising or sell the details on to other advertisers.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

On a related note, the cashier at a local store suggested I fill out an on-line questionnaire about my shopping experience when I got home.
    Supposedly, I'd get a discount or something.

Anyway, the questions slowly got more and more personal until I just quit.
    Either the marketing dept wanted to see how far they could push people, or I was participating in some strange psychology experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Just say no. They don't need any info to sell you something. it's just so they can send you advertising or sell the details on to other advertisers.
    Yes thatís the idea. But the clerks donít seem to understand the concept of privacy. Same for affinity programs which produce little if any value, such as collecting points for buying dog food at the local pet parlor. And the points expire before we can use them. I would need to own two Dobermans to get any value. My little Shih Tzu wonít cut it (although heíd probably like to try).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Why would you want a presence in the phone book if the phone's effectively disconnected?

Grant Hutchison
    The phone book also shows an address.

And I forgot the other reason. Land lines don't need electricity to operate; they're powered through the phone line itself.

After Ike, we were without electricity for about a week. I had a generator which we ran for a few hours every evening when we could charge our cells, but the land line provided backup JIC.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The phone book also shows an address.
    Ah. That was one of the reasons we elected not to have a listing in the phone book. In the days when there was a phone book. I haven't seen one in years.

Grant Hutchison

Today I walked across a road junction while the pedestrian "stop" sign was showing. I do it a lot at this particular junction, because I know that if I can see an empty street and a red traffic light in my ten o'clock position, I won't be surprised by traffic (or present a surprise to traffic).

So halfway across I hear a child's voice say, "Daddy, why did that man not wait for the green light?" (Damn. I actually try not to do this sort of thing when there are kids about, but I hadn't noticed this child.)
    The father gives me a hard stare, clutches his son to him, and says, "Because he's an idiot," clearly and distinctly so that I can hear.
    Well, OK. So I give the father a rueful and apologetic smile, acknowledging that I have been unhelpful to his child-rearing agenda.
    And he continues with the hard stare, turning to his head to follow me, and repeats loudly, "He. Is. An. Idiot."

Now, I don't know this guy's story. Maybe he lost a child who crossed at the red light. It's fine if he wants to take a verbal pop at me for failing in my civic duty.
    But what he seemed to be teaching his son at that moment was that it's a fine idea to publicly insult large, fierce-looking men (and for all my obvious smooth urbanity, I am a large, fierce-looking man when my face is in repose). And, to be honest, in this city you're probably safer doing a bit of judicious jaywalking than you are insulting random strangers, even in broad daylight in a crowded street.

I guess it bugs me because I clearly caused this situation, but I don't know why it turned into so much of a situation.

Grant Hutchison
    What does bug me is when somebody presses the button at a crossing then can't be bothered to wait for the green man. The person is long gone but the traffic has to come to a standstill waiting at a red light for no reason. At least Grant you have the courtesy to not bother pressing the button if not necessary.
    The fella shouting out "he's an idiot" needs to take a look in the mirror. He could have explained to his child something like - you were in the wrong to not wait for the green man and that not doing so was a risk and could be dangerous.

I'm aware that in some retail establishments, the checkout clerks are under pressure to gather the customer data (phone number, e-mails, etc.) They literally have a quota to fill. When some cantankerous old man (like myself) refuses to give the information, there's a potential that they could be censured by their manager.

It's still a terrible and invasive corporate policy, but it does help explain why clerks are insistent.

Ah. That was one of the reasons we elected not to have a listing in the phone book. In the days when there was a phone book. I haven't seen one in years.

Grant Hutchison
    We get a new one once a year; I put it under the cordless phone base in place of the old one I then recycle. That's the only time they get touched.

I actually got an important call on the land line yesterday. We keep it because pretty frequently Verizon can't hear us now.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We get a new one once a year; I put it under the cordless phone base in place of the old one I then recycle. That's the only time they get touched.

I actually got an important call on the land line yesterday. We keep it because pretty frequently Verizon can't hear us now.
    All telephonic communication in our house goes through the land line, because the mobile phones are usually switched off / uncharged / mislaid, and often all three. But telephone directories seem to be a thing of the past.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    At least Grant you have the courtesy to not bother pressing the button if not necessary.
    Worse. If I have pressed the button I feel a moral obligation to wait for the light. So I end up standing like a stookie at a completely deserted street crossing with no traffic visible in any direction. So someone approaching in their car from a long way off can see me standing at the crossing, not taking advantage of the empty street, and then the traffic light changes to red and stops them so that I can cross. That's annoying.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We got one the other day I was glad to see. It was packed in a plastic bag. The county has a bag ban, and while normally that doesn't bother me, produce bags are too small for lining our bathroom trash can.

As for landlines, we finally gave up on ours when it became cheaper to get a low-level cell phone. I don't like having one much; I'm constantly leaving it places, and I can't always hear it around the apartment. What I need to do is get a phone set that lets you plug a cell phone into it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The inability to cradle a handset between my ear and shoulder bugs me a lot with the advent of cell phones. The speakerphone option results in a lot of "WOT?"s going back and forth, and I have yet to find a non-annoying hands-free option, especially if the phone is lying by itself and an important call comes in.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    We got one the other day I was glad to see. It was packed in a plastic bag. The county has a bag ban, and while normally that doesn't bother me, produce bags are too small for lining our bathroom trash can.

As for landlines, we finally gave up on ours when it became cheaper to get a low-level cell phone. I don't like having one much; I'm constantly leaving it places, and I can't always hear it around the apartment. What I need to do is get a phone set that lets you plug a cell phone into it.
    I've got several hundred of them leftover from delivering phone books over the past 6 years. Here it is up to agent of they want to use them or not. They use to be wrapped individually didn't like that because of the environment. I use them a lot in picking veges out the garden or as trash bags.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Worse. If I have pressed the button I feel a moral obligation to wait for the light. So I end up standing like a stookie at a completely deserted street crossing with no traffic visible in any direction. So someone approaching in their car from a long way off can see me standing at the crossing, not taking advantage of the empty street, and then the traffic light changes to red and stops them so that I can cross. That's annoying.

Grant Hutchison
    Ha ha, yes been there myself on many occasion!

The other one is when somebody has pressed the button but can't be bothered to wait for the green man and decide to just walk out in front of the approaching traffic forcing them to stop at a green light. In fact this reminds of an incident once where a friend of mine knocked somebody down doing just that. Fortunately no one was serious injured but my friend was initially accused of jumping a red light. Luckily another motorist witnessed the accident and confirmed to the police that the pedestrian had indeed walked out without waiting for the green man signal.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Jim, gave me an idea, we had a phone for a log cabin and phone has been disconnected for years, I should give them that one. I actually used it on the form at one time.
    They might re-use the number

On the other hand, we have loyalty cards with a lot of establishments that are keyed to our old land line, we've never bothered to update it.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    Ha ha, yes been there myself on many occasion!

The other one is when somebody has pressed the button but can't be bothered to wait for the green man and decide to just walk out in front of the approaching traffic forcing them to stop at a green light. In fact this reminds of an incident once where a friend of mine knocked somebody down doing just that. Fortunately no one was serious injured but my friend was initially accused of jumping a red light. Luckily another motorist witnessed the accident and confirmed to the police that the pedestrian had indeed walked out without waiting for the green man signal.
    Either you don't live in the US, or you're color-blind (like I am). Am I right?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

This isn't trivial, but related.
    I frequently commute via bicycle. Part of the commute is on a bike/jogging path that parallels the roadways, and crosses several intersections at ordinary crosswalks.

Unfortunately, this leads to a situation where cyclists approach the intersection from the "wrong side" 50% of the time.
    Mix this with drivers making a "right on red", and you have a recipe for disaster.

Counter intuitively, the most dangerous situation is when everyone has stopped and I begin crossing after waiting for the "walk" signal.
    Right-turn drivers never note the walk signal, and consider the lull in traffic a departure opportunity at the exact same time the cyclists begin crossing from their right side.

Either you don't live in the US, or you're color-blind (like I am). Am I right?
    I avoided using the phrase "green man" so as not to confuse our overseas cousins. The child in my story actually said, "Why didn't he wait for the green man?"

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Feb-09 at 02:55 PM.