Page 342 of 375 FirstFirst ... 242292332340341342343344352 ... LastLast
Results 10,231 to 10,260 of 11240

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I might post an ATM theory on the 1/2 spin characteristics of USB cables. Try it one way, wrong. Try it the other way, also wrong. Give it a third shot with the first configuration you tried? Bingo, it works! I wonder if some UBS cables have 3/2 or 5/2 spins? Maybe...
    A few years ago, I shocked my brother by being able to flawlessly plug in USB cables. I claimed, off the top of my head, that the symbol is printed on the "up" side, but he was dubious. Turns out, from a couple years of noticing since, that it's only approx true ...

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    A few years ago, I shocked my brother by being able to flawlessly plug in USB cables. I claimed, off the top of my head, that the symbol is printed on the "up" side, but he was dubious. Turns out, from a couple years of noticing since, that it's only approx true ...
    The seam in the metal of the type A connector is usually on the "down" side. I think more reliably than the symbol being on the "up" side.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I might post an ATM theory on the 1/2 spin characteristics of USB cables. Try it one way, wrong. Try it the other way, also wrong. Give it a third shot with the first configuration you tried? Bingo, it works! I wonder if some UBS cables have 3/2 or 5/2 spins? Maybe...
    I could have told you long ago that the first two sides always fail, and the third side always works.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    What, do all of 'em in your area have cars?
    Probably not all although in this town I expect a lot of them do own cars or at least have access to a parents car. And the ones who dont seem to find rides with friends rather than ride the big yellow loser cruiser.

Seniors, now, not all high schoolers.

I rode a bus until my co-riders got cars. Or I borrowed my mothers when I turned 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The seam in the metal of the type A connector is usually on the "down" side. I think more reliably than the symbol being on the "up" side.
    Both of these seem to make an unwarranted assumption - that there's a standard "up" side for the ports. I have a laptop and a multi-port charger sitting on my desk right now - the ports are "upside down" on one of them.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I have a laptop and a multi-port charger sitting on my desk right now - the ports are "upside down" on one of them.
    That happens. And sometimes the ports are sideways.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Probably not all although in this town I expect a lot of them do own cars or at least have access to a parent’s car. And the ones who don’t seem to find rides with friends rather than ride the big yellow “loser cruiser”.

Seniors, now, not all high schoolers.

I rode a bus until my co-riders got cars. Or I borrowed my mother’s when I turned 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Driving to my high school would have been kind of pointless, since it was about a two-minute walk from my house. The junior high, on the other hand, was about a mile-and-a-quarter, uphill both ways while carrying a French Horn. Bicycles were somehow seriously uncool at the time.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

One good thing about where my sister lives is that almost in the mid point of the where elementary school. middle school and high school are my nieces don't have to go on the schools bus. Before they moved out my sister or mother drove them to school instead of going on the bus.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The junior high, on the other hand, was about a mile-and-a-quarter, uphill both ways while carrying a French Horn.
    Joke response 1: Was the distance different if you didn't carry a french horn?
    Joke response 2: Was the topography different if you didn't carry a french horn?
    Joke response 3: How does a junior high carry a french horn?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I talked of this earlier, but I used to take two city buses (with transfer) to my Chicago high school ... until the Great Snow Storm, of 1967 (I think). We got something like two (2) days off due to the city being paralyzed, but were due back in class after that. Many of the bus routes still weren't operative, but that's no excuse: I had to walk, err ... trudge, a mile or so to get to the second bus, or from the first one to home for a couple of days. We had it tough!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Driving to my high school would have been kind of pointless, since it was about a two-minute walk from my house. The junior high, on the other hand, was about a mile-and-a-quarter, uphill both ways while carrying a French Horn. Bicycles were somehow seriously uncool at the time.
    I was about a mile and a quarter from my high school, in hilly terrain. It seemed shorter and flatter without the horn. I usually took the school bus, which was offered for anyone over a mile away. The driver did not mind the horn as long as I didn't take up extra seat space with it.

I was bugged big time one snowy morning at the University of Virginia. My dorm was a mile from my one and only Saturday class, and I normally rode my bicycle. With several inches of snow that was not an option, so I walked. I got there on time but the professor did not show up.

Edit: I just now plotted it on a map and it is more like 6/10 of a mile, but it seemed longer in the snow.
    Last edited by Hornblower; 2018-Feb-13 at 04:33 AM.

I just had Google Maps give me the walking distance to the Junior High. 1.2 miles, by a route I don't recall actually using.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

It's .4 of a mile to my old elementary school and .6 to my junior high. And Google Maps shows that the house I grew up in still looked mostly the same a couple of years after my mom moved out!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Update Tuesday, it slows the internet connection a lot.

Has anyone seen Gillian today?

Yes, various people around Olympia.

So this morning was intended to be spent doing two things. One, picking up patterns at a $.99 sale at the local fabric store. Two, pillaging our local Target for clearance Valentine's candy.

We went to Target first. According to a friend who works there, not only was there nothing left, there hadn't been anything left since Sunday. What was there wasn't on clearance.

So then we went to the fabric store. There wasn't even a drawer for the pattern numbers I'd dutifully noted at home as being ones I wanted to pick up. There were, however, large boxes on top of the file drawers that were clearly to-be-filed patterns that they hadn't gotten to yet. (I did, on the other hand, pick up a couple from the last release, including Dr. Who doll clothing?) Also, no clearance chocolate, not that I'd expected any.

So then we went to the grocery store. They had one small display of clearance candy mostly taken up with heart-shaped boxes. I got Simon some gummis that he wanted and a bar for myself that turned out to be so-so, and found some M&Ms in another section that were marked down, and that was it for clearance. I'm certainly not going to any other stores in search of it.

In a moment that amused me, I got one game piece for the grocery store's annual Monopoly contest. I am an instant winner. Of a bottle of aspirin.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I mixed up AM and PM when setting my alarm and only just woke up at 3:30 in the afternoon. Fortunately, it's my day off.

The questions from Babylon 5, What do you want and Who are you?
    They are the questions of the questions of the Shadows and the Vorlons. The Shadows ask you want you want and justify they deeds by the goals and the Vorlons is who are you trying to figure out where your limits are.
    I've always known who I was I am a person who grew up in a rural area and helped from time to time on the farm. I like gardening, hiking, space, Sci fi and all I really wanted was to find something in space. There have been people who have tried to change me to something I wasn't because they thought changing my mind on some issues was more likely to be successful at least what they felt was successful for me.
    Have I said I few unfortunate things, yes. Have I done a few stupid things. yes.

Im taking a class on Argentinian history. I need to type just enough accent marks that I switched to an international keyboard configuration. My and look funny now. It bothers me so I switch back to a standard keyboard to get ' and ".
    Solfe

I might be able to help with that.

In the 1990s on DOS, I discovered by accident that holding down ALT, hitting some numbers in the number section to the right on the keyboard, and then releasing ALT would usually produce a character on the screen, and sometimes that character would be something I couldn't otherwise produce with our keyboard. It turned out that the decimal numbers I was hitting corresponded to the binary values of the bits assigned to the 256 characters that were defined at the time, and that this was a planned feature that had been set up deliberately, and was just not well known, rather than a hack as it had seemed to me at first.

I memorized a bunch of the numbers, partially by using another thing I discovered about these things while playing around with them. At 257, they started over again, and then again after that at 513, and so on, so there were multiple numbers to use to produce each possible character (256x+y, where y is whatever is the lowest one that works and x is apparently any integer, although presumably with an upper limit I never found). So, by finding higher alternative numbers for the same characters, I could put them in groups such that all of the ones of the same type would begin with the same digit. For example, German's umlaut vowels were:

9857 (no option exists in the 900s)

(I could also use 225 for the Scharfes-S, but that was actually in the Greek group between alpha and gamma: .)

To this I could also add 905 and 907, although German doesn't use them and I never took any classes in a language that did. Notice that this time there there's no capital option. 256 characters wasn't enough space for everything, so they got in all of the major lowercase possibilities but had to prioritize on capitals. With just , , and , German would have all it needed, but it would take a bunch more to complete French's set, and they just didn't have enough places in the codepage to put them all, so they just had to give up on providing all of the possible capitals for all languages.

Anyway, the available collection of funky characters turned out to include not only funky letters but even some funky punctuation!

For that matter, are ⌐ and Spanish symbols too? I never knew what they were, but they're 425 and 426.

Also, not only does this old trick still work, but, now that we have a much bigger codepage, the letters you produce this way will respond to the "change case" option in a modern word processing program, so there's no form of any Spanish letter you can't get to fairly easily.

Write those on a small bit of paper and stick it to your monitor, and soon you'll get so quick at typing them with ALT that it will be automatic and barely even slow you down a fraction of a second anymore. (Then you can throw the paper away. ) Of course, modern word processing programs also have the "insert special character" option so you can find the one you need in a grid on-screen and poke it with your mouse, but that's really slow and cumbersome compared to breezing right through a word with the ALT code as a part of what you're typing. Maybe almost as cumbersome as switching digital keyboards.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Is it me or are wait staff getting increasingly bad at taking your money? After you finish, they seem to disappear so you can't get the bill.

I've noticed the same thing but I really don't think it's gotten any worse. I blame my perception of it.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    In the 1990s on DOS, I discovered by accident that holding down ALT, hitting some numbers in the number section to the right on the keyboard, and then releasing ALT would usually produce a character on the screen, and sometimes that character would be something I couldn't otherwise produce with our keyboard.
    Yep, I've been doing that for years. On Windows machines the CharMap utility will even tell you what the Alt+ code is, if it has one.

From memory:

0150: (en dash) 0174: 0182:
    0151: (em dash) 0176: 0189:
    0167: 0178: 0190:
    0169: 0179: 0230:

I use some of these frequently but others just got stuck in there. I do sometimes open CharMap for characters like ⅓, ⅔, ⅛, ⅜, ⅝, and ⅞. I also have an equivalent app on my iPhone and iPad.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

A wrote a macro for Word, years ago, that lets me accent a character by placing the cursor next to it and hitting Alt+[some key]. So it's Alt+/ for an acute, Alt+\ for a grave, Alt+: for a dieresis, and so on.
    Considering all the useless shortcut keys that MS Office does offer, I've never understood why they don't offer something like what I built myself.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    From memory:

0150: – (en dash) 0174: 0182:
    0151: — (em dash) 0176: 0189:
    0167: 0178: 0190:
    0169: 0179: 0230:
    A strange case of needing to start with a zero because the result is actually different if you don't: the ones that start with a zero come from a bigger codepage that came along later than the one I was using at first (for example, there was no newfangled , , and I think not even , back in my day), so adding the zero was a clever way to make the shortcut work for both codepages!

It would be a good idea for modern word processors' "special character" features, with so many to choose from, to allow the user to collect just the few (s)he expects to use the most and put them in a prominent, easy-to-get-to position in the dialog box, so searching up & down the immense list wouldn't be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    A wrote a macro for Word, years ago, that lets me accent a character by placing the cursor next to it and hitting Alt+[some key]. So it's Alt+/ for an acute, Alt+\ for a grave, Alt+: for a dieresis, and so on.
    Considering all the useless shortcut keys that MS Office does offer, I've never understood why they don't offer something like what I built myself.
    Apple had that back when I had a colored-cathode-ray-tube iMac with the original OS X, although the button it used was the one that acts more like Windows CONTROL and had some other name on Apple keyboards... colon for diaresis, apostrophe for acute, otherwise useless pointless backslanted quasi-apostrophe for grave, tilde for tilde, "^" for the badly-misnamed circumflex, comma for cedilla (, )... I don't recall there being a caron or macron option, though.

I remember thinking how much better it would be if characters could exist that only combine with the previous character instead of taking up their own independent screen space and advancing the cursor themselves. Now those do exist, so all of these special characters aren't even needed anymore anyway.
    Last edited by Delvo; 2018-Feb-17 at 02:11 AM.

Apple had that back when I had a colored-cathode-ray-tube iMac with the original OS X, although the button it used was the one that acts more like Windows CONTROL and had some other name on Apple keyboards... colon for diaresis, apostrophe for acute, otherwise useless pointless backslanted quasi-apostrophe for grave, tilde for tilde, "^" for the badly-misnamed circumflex, comma for cedilla (, )... I don't recall there being a caron or macron option, though.
    Do they still have it? (My enthusiasm for Apple departed after the Apple II, and has never returned.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I presume so, but don't know. My first Apple computer was my last. Aren't all subsequent Mac operating systems still based on the plain old X?

Ah... I wish I had unicode characters on this machine. I have a Chromebook which is easy enough to change languages, but it is annoying.
    Solfe

I presume so, but don't know. My first Apple computer was my last. Aren't all subsequent Mac operating systems still based on the plain old X?
    I have no idea. But it all seems both limited and counterintuitive. If that was what I had to work with, I'd be writing my own macros anyway.

ETA: Microsoft Office seem to have a similarly limited range of options, nowadays.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Feb-17 at 03:12 AM.
    Blog

Note: