Page 381 of 382 FirstFirst ... 281331371379380381382 LastLast
Results 11,401 to 11,430 of 11456

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    There is only a small number of chemicals in daily use so it is not necessary to extend this argument to all molecules, and I would not want to cause offence but maybe the use of CO2 and H2O and even O2 and O3 might be preferred in everyday writing.
    I think I'd rather write carbon dioxide, water, oxygen and ozone in everyday writing. The use of the chemical formulae has always struck me as incongruous when the chemical formula is irrelevant.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I think I'd rather write carbon dioxide, water, oxygen and ozone in everyday writing. The use of the chemical formulae has always struck me as incongruous when the chemical formula is irrelevant.

Grant Hutchison
    I agree with that for non scientific readers, I was thinking of this forum where I hope that level of chemistry is not confusing, but maybe there are many here who are not familiar with chemical notation but have some idea of what carbon dioxide is.?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I agree with that for non scientific readers, I was thinking of this forum where I hope that level of chemistry is not confusing, but maybe there are many here who are not familiar with chemical notation but have some idea of what carbon dioxide is.?
    I've no doubt most people know what CO2 is, particularly in these days when a discussion of climate change is never far away. There just seems to be no particular advantage to using an ugly abbreviation instead of plain text, in a non-technical discussion.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I think I'd rather write carbon dioxide, water dihydrogen monoxide, oxygen and ozone in everyday writing. The use of the chemical formulae has always struck me as incongruous when the chemical formula is irrelevant.

Grant Hutchison
    Fixed that for you!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My old organic chemistry lab guide would say "rinse with water" or "add 10.0 ml distilled water" or such. If they'd gotten lazy and used "H2O" instead, you'd have wondered how pure it had to be.

The use of the common word suggests that it's irrelevant.

I love listening to Xmas music on radio.
    But why do they play "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" over and over:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hj3U18FHgQ
    and never play "Welcome Christmas" from the same show:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0gBeIuS_WE
    ?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Because of me oversleeping because of trying to realign sleep patterns and the recycling pickup being early we have wait until the next pick-up in four weeks.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Simon's bus was ten minutes late. It's below freezing out.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Ten solid seconds of stressful limbo to start my day.

My office has a bank of six elevators. I press the UP button, it lights up, and we all wait.

Eventually, the UP button goes off. Aaaaaand
    2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5 ... 6 ... 7 ... 8 ...
    One of the elevators (invariably the one not in your peripheral view) opens its door, silently.
    ... 9 ... 10 ...
    DING!

And now you have little time to dive for the elevator along with fourteen other people.

That ten seconds - during which the UP button has done its job and smugly forgotten you, but has not actually summoned an elevator yet - is a nerve-wracking wait - like a silent game of "Musical Chairs".

Every day.
    Last edited by DaveC426913; 2018-Dec-08 at 12:27 AM.

I once was in a group of over 100 and we overwhelmed the elevators in the William Penn Hotel in Pittsburgh. I walked up seven flights of stairs with a suitcase and got to my room while most of us were still in the lobby waiting for elevators.

I only pretend to do math on the Internet, but a professor almost gave me a stroke tonight.

I received a grade on a project: 9.5 of 15. The feedback was "excellent this... excellent that..." It turns out she accidentally assigned the project a value of 15 points. So 9.5 of out 15 is 63.3333. "Excellent my butt." I figured since the feedback didn't contain my name, it must have been for someone else. I was resigned to the 63 and getting a B in a class I did well in.

Tonight she fixed it. 9.5 out of 10. 95%! That is quite the difference.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I only pretend to do math on the Internet, but a professor almost gave me a stroke tonight.

I received a grade on a project: 9.5 of 15. The feedback was "excellent this... excellent that..." It turns out she accidentally assigned the project a value of 15 points. So 9.5 of out 15 is 63.3333. "Excellent my butt." I figured since the feedback didn't contain my name, it must have been for someone else. I was resigned to the 63 and getting a B in a class I did well in.

Tonight she fixed it. 9.5 out of 10. 95%! That is quite the difference.
    During my last year at university I was taking a interstellar dust course and after the final exam I noticed the average seemed off. So I went over the numbers and went to the proff, yeah go and correct the math for the person who does math for a living. We went over the numbers and found where she made the mistake and uped my make by 5% and probably the other two students as well. Also that term I had to deal with a fellow student who tried to get my make lowered from am A to an A- or lower, really nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    During my last year at university I was taking a interstellar dust course and after the final exam I noticed the average seemed off. So I went over the numbers and went to the proff, yeah go and correct the math for the person who does math for a living. We went over the numbers and found where she made the mistake and uped my make by 5% and probably the other two students as well. Also that term I had to deal with a fellow student who tried to get my make lowered from am A to an A- or lower, really nice guy.
    I can't help but notice, but if you advocate for others, especially in cases where you shouldn't be effected, you get better grades.

We have this immersion program at my school for students with various intellectual disabilities. It can be odd working with them, but you tend to get higher grades if you are supportive. I did a history project on Jack Kirby, the comic book artist for an American History class with one of these guys. It was interesting to say the least. My project was on Peder Victorious... so I guess I learned something I otherwise wouldn't have. Plus I got partial credit for the item I turned in with him on top of the credit for my own assignment. I was assured a C+ in the course, no matter how badly it turned out. He got an A which was slightly better than my B+.

One of my mantras at school is: "For the love of god, no curves!" I took a course where the professor was grading on a curve and me and one other student were rocking 100's/A's every test in the course. I worked a deal with the teacher that I would give away 30 points to every other student doing worse than me. He asked what I thought that was doing. I replied that it would change my A to C, but because he handed out percentage based grades and not letter grades for tests, everyone else would see a slightly higher grade. Less pain. Three tests in, he took my deal. The result was the next series of (I can't remember, between 7-12 tests) tests were uncurved because people were feeling better and DOING better on tests so the curve was pointless or punishing. At the end of the class, I got a B+ instead of an A but he doesn't do curved grades anymore.
    Solfe

Solfe I have taken classes if they weren't marked on a curve no one would pass, Math Methods for Physics Students was on of them. On one assignment in the second term the highest mark 33 percent and all the grade came form the assignment. No that grade was not, we were asked to work together but I couldn't work with one person, same person as mentioned above.

Kind of related people who show up to work either stoned or drunk.

Solfe I have taken classes if they weren't marked on a curve no one would pass, Math Methods for Physics Students was on of them. On one assignment in the second term the highest mark 33 percent and all the grade came form the assignment. No that grade was not, we were asked to work together but I couldn't work with one person, same person as mentioned above.

Kind of related people who show up to work either stoned or drunk.
    I hate curves, but don't work in the hard science or math where a curve might have application. One time I took a calculus class and the final exam was:

"e^pi or pi^e. Which is larger? Why?"

You want a curve on something like that because it isn't just one skill set. The question "why?" defeats the tools. Sure, open book but can you find "why?" on any page? You can use a computer or calculator to graph it, but the same question remains.

I passed. But not my mathematical skill. I drew an answer, which was not a graph nor a singular picture. I should rank lower than a mathematician for that skill, which makes a curve reasonable.
    Solfe

I woke up at seven unable to go back to sleep. Simon is awake as well and demanded to know why the Sun hasn't risen yet.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Solfe I have taken classes if they weren't marked on a curve no one would pass,
    That was a completely acceptable outcome in my medical school. Happened a couple of times.
    The only time the marks were ever shifted was after a new professor of physiology delivered all his lectures using slides in Danish, and then set a renal physiology exam that was entirely mathematical. Some sort of revolt among the academic staff took place behind closed doors, and everyone's marks were bumped by 25% (meaning that a whole bunch of people scored 25% instead of zero). I ended up with a surreal score of 125%, because a) I'd had the innovative idea of reading a book to figure out what the Danish slides were about and b) doing ten easy sums correctly gave you a 100% score.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I woke up at seven unable to go back to sleep. Simon is awake as well and demanded to know why the Sun hasn't risen yet.
    I woke up at 4 am because someone thought the pipes were froze. Went down into the basement started with the heat gun on the pipes and then plugged in the heat tape. Went back upstairs to get a flashlight and went back down to check a few things out found there is a bad wire on a sensor. Got to fix wire later but went back to sleep.

That was a completely acceptable outcome in my medical school. Happened a couple of times.
    The only time the marks were ever shifted was after a new professor of physiology delivered all his lectures using slides in Danish, and then set a renal physiology exam that was entirely mathematical. Some sort of revolt among the academic staff took place behind closed doors, and everyone's marks were bumped by 25% (meaning that a whole bunch of people scored 25% instead of zero). I ended up with a surreal score of 125%, because a) I'd had the innovative idea of reading a book to figure out what the Danish slides were about and b) doing ten easy sums correctly gave you a 100% score.

Grant Hutchison
    One of the most infuriating moments of my life was getting a B in Chemistry 101 while my friend, who I basically tutored all through the class got an A. And I had outscored him on every exam including the final. I confronted the professor. It turned out that I was in the morning section, with ALL of the engineering, chemistry, and physics students; my friend was in the afternoon section, with everybody else; and the prof graded on separate curves for each section. Still rankles.

Reminds me of the Stepwise Forward Projection Method for grading medical student essays. You stand at the top of a flight of stairs, and throw the entire stack of essays in a high arc towards the middle step of the flight. (It helps if you give the stack a bit of rotation during the pitch, so that it turns and disintegrates under aerodynamic forces while still in the air.) Then you work your way down the stairs, grading each essay according to the step it landed on. Produces a nice Gaussian curve if you do it right.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

One of our Educational Research professors pointed out that if you teach a class section that meets very early on in the morning (or, say, late on Fridays), you get unusual mixtures of students. You get lots of eager-beaver types who have real jobs and have to get to work, and these usually do well. You also get the screw-ups who missed the registration deadline and had to take whatever was left. Hence, a bimodal distribution in achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I hate curves,
    Phrasing!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Reminds me of the Stepwise Forward Projection Method for grading medical student essays. You stand at the top of a flight of stairs, and throw the entire stack of essays in a high arc towards the middle step of the flight. ...
    I had a teacher in junior high who claimed he graded test papers by throwing them down the stairwell, then picking them up. First paper got the highest grade, last paper got the lowest, bell curve in between.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    One of our Educational Research professors pointed out that if you teach a class section that meets very early on in the morning (or, say, late on Fridays), you get unusual mixtures of students. ...
    I took a summer class once that met at 7:00 AM (only time slot offered). The professor apologized in the first class, saying he got DST backwards when he scheduled it.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

At the second university I went to Thursday night meant party night but some people like me had classes Friday morning. One Friday I had a calculus midterm and I was getting like 80%-100% on the quizzes before and after. The night before the midterm my roommate and his buddies came to the apartment and tried to bug me into going to the pub. One of them kept going "I want to show you my new wrestling move." The next morning I got like a 60% on the midterm. I never get the Thursday night party thing.

A Two-fer!
    1. Questionable Content is down this morning.
    2. We have a couple of nice brass lamps, the kind people point at on HGTV and say "dated"! A nice feature is that they have the switch down on the bottom of the base so you don't have to reach up inside the shade. Not so hot is that the switch is right above where the cord comes out so you have to reach around the back.

Must have been a BOGO day in the "bugs me"category.

1. Went in for blood drawing this morning and it took three sticks to find a source. They finally ended up drawing from my hand and which actually hurt very little, especially compared to the tech rooting around in one of my elbows hunting for a vein.

2. Then off I go to renew my drivers license. The renewal actually went very fast, in and out in about 15 minutes but it required a new photo. (My old photo was taken when Bill Clinton was president. Seriously. Georgia allowed the photo to be recopied on my last two renewals and it's a 10-year license). Then I found that the camera must be defective because it clearly added a chin. Harrumph...

The thought I'd bombed the exam for one university course at the end of the first semester. I needlessly fretted about it over the Christmas break. It turned out I had one of the highest marks, and everyone else did poorly. Well, I had done poorly - the grade curve was shifted. I realized the problem was not the material, but the teaching. I found other ways to learn the material, and gave the professor a suitably scathing review at the end of the second semester.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    2. Then off I go to renew my drivers license. ...
    There was a story on line about a man who had moved and went in to the Washington, DC, DMV to get a new driver's license. He presented his New Mexico license. And was told they couldn't accept it, he needed a US license not a foreign one.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Right now the stove pipe to the wood stove in the living is about to come out, too hot for a while to put back in and the stove is still going but going out. Can't sleep until it is fixed or the fire goes out.
    eta all fixed
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Dec-12 at 05:36 AM.

... eta all fixed
    Nice that it stayed together and your problem remained in the “trivial thread” category.

And remember, Carbon monoxide detectors are your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa