Page 324 of 332 FirstFirst ... 224274314322323324325326 ... LastLast
Results 9,691 to 9,720 of 9949

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

The mention of height brings up a VERY trivial thing that bugged me just a little bit last week.

The company my employer has me working for at present, is doing a "you be the change", "suggest ways to improve" style of internal campaign for its employees. Lots of posters and stuff around.

I went to the bathroom, and then when I went to wash my hands found a printed-on-clear-plastic poster on the mirror. Printed at the top was "who can be the change?" (or words to that effect).

The idea of course was you'd see your own face in the middle of the "poster" so the answer is "you".

Except I'm 6'3" (not amazingly tall among my peers), and my face was right in the printed bit at the top. I'd have had to stoop quite low to get the desired effect.

I plan to go back one day with a white board erasable marker and add "... short people?" to the message.

(I've made jokes about hogs-head measurements in the past, but admit to being imperial in height).
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Except I'm 6'3" (not amazingly tall among my peers), and my face was right in the printed bit at the top. I'd have had to stoop quite low to get the desired effect.
    I wonder how they would feel if you adjusted the height of the poster? "I was just 'being the change'".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    But Miss Gillian!

A white dress and feather boa? Really? How could one NOT think of Olympe Maxime?
    Thinking is fine. Think whatever you want.

The best thing about thinking? It's silent.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Thinking is fine. Think whatever you want.

The best thing about thinking? It's silent.
    Right. In my faire booth, we call it the "inside the head voice."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

but sometimes in the head voice is so darn annoying.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Old houses.
    This house is coming up for its sesquicentenary, and we've been in it for thirty years. There's a little room at the back that we haven't touched since we moved in, except to use it as a junk room. Someone before us had used it as a child's bedroom, with bold patterned wallpaper on a "feature wall", in 1970s style.
    So I just put up some shelves, because junk always expands. And I have the shelves horizontal according to my spirit level, but noticeably not according to the pattern on the wallpaper. Inspection of floor and ceiling reveal that the wallpaper has been hung slightly diagonally, to avoid the pattern running off too noticeably at the edges, because the floor and ceiling converge slightly across the width of the wall, and one corner is on a tilt.
    But now every time I look at the shelves, they irritate me. So I'm going to have to repaper this room, now, because of the damn shelves. And its full of junk I'll need to move out. At which point we'll go through the junk and throw out enough stuff that we won't need the shelves any more.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    ...But now every time I look at the shelves, they irritate me. So I'm going to have to repaper this room, now, because of the damn shelves. And its full of junk I'll need to move out. At which point we'll go through the junk and throw out enough stuff that we won't need the shelves any more.

Grant Hutchison
    OCD takes another casualty.

Junk always expands to fill the space available.

One easy solution would be to just nail the door to the little room shut.

Old houses.
    -snip-
    Inspection of floor and ceiling reveal that the wallpaper has been hung slightly diagonally, to avoid the pattern running off too noticeably at the edges, because the floor and ceiling converge slightly across the width of the wall, and one corner is on a tilt.
    New houses. One of my daughters has moved into a downstairs suite in a brand new house. The plenum for the forced air heating system is up against the ceiling through part of the suite. It's boxed in, but nothing in the framing of that work is square. I can't stand to look at it! I wonder about both the contractor and client who thought that was acceptable.

1st new "employer" (contracted basis) since real employer folded last month.

Slow.

Uncommunicative.

No warning of sudden changes.

Slow.

Uncommunicative.

So today I politely inquired.

After all my patience, staying cool, etc. ...

...got my head bit off and told "goodbye."

The hazards of online work with people you can't ever know (or meet).

The Bright Side: Things are going well with 2nd (and now sole) company I'm contracted with.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Oh for goodness sake, how do people do such simple things so badly?

At work, they finally decided (after many many years) to start allocating car parks, so instead of getting the right one for me and my car because I am one of the first in, I got allocated one.

An email went out asking if people had "large" cars and needed special (easy) places, and I replied with a comment on my station wagon and its' lousy turning circle.

It seems SUVs and four door utes get all the love right now (as sales figures show), because I was for some reason allocated pretty much the worst park possible for my car - hard up against the wall of a building next to the carpark, and at the end where the block of lifts minimises space in front of the park. To top it off, the car next to me is from one of the very few people who get in earlier. So absolutely no way I can reverse into the park, and I have to go in frontwards (and slightly scraped my bumper on the building this morning). That means I need to leave room between me and the building so I can open my door, putting me right on the line between my park and the next.

(Car park designers --- when we open our doors, we temporarily use some of the space of the next park. So if a park is next to a wall or a building, it can't be the same width as all the other parks, we don't have the space of a next park to use.)

Monday was the first day of the use of allocated parks, and as I was writing a note to put on the windscreen of the car next to mine (apologising for my positioning), there were already two instances of cars being parked in the wrong place; which also left one woman choosing to go park in one of the public parks ($19 for the day) so that she didn't contribute to the knock-on effect of people in wrong places.

I realised that the previous two weeks have been school holidays - so there will have been staff not reading their emails so they didn't know that the regime had started nor what their spot was.

Just now I wrote an email to the person of the car next to me, via the person who arranged it all (as I don't know who the car owner is).

And I got an out of office auto-reply. The person who (badly) arranged all this had chosen to start the new scheme on a day they'd also planned to take off work.

Sigh.

(As the weather gets more reliable I'll start using my motorcycle to commute, so the issue does go a way for a while.)

The pendulum recently swung in the opposite direction at my office. They changed most of the assigned spots to open parking. (Executive parking is excluded, of course.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The pendulum recently swung in the opposite direction at my office. They changed most of the assigned spots to open parking. (Executive parking is excluded, of course.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They previously didn't assign parks here, partly because they over committed. A bit like hot-desking; they figured on any one day, only X% of the people would drive to work (holidays, sickness, ...) so they could offer parks to slightly more employees than they actually had to give. The understanding was if you arrived and all the reserved parks were used, just go take a public spot and suck up the cost for the day. Not an issue for me as I'm one of the first in.

I think some people started abusing it (staff without parks in their contracts using the company parks) so they've flipped to allocation.

Part of the annoyance is that getting a park meant my pay is a little less than it could have been (it costs my department), but if I "give up" the park now - I won't get an increase as it's worded in the standard contract as a non-valued "extra" that isn't calculated into our total remuneration. In short, I'd keep the allocated park even if I stopped using it. Stuff 'em!

Then they would point out that since you are using a motorcycle you don't a spot with a big turning radius.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

... The person who (badly) arranged all this had chosen to start the new scheme on a day they'd also planned to take off work. ...
    Sounds like he thought ahead on one aspect at least.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

When I was briefly considered management at a prior company, before they folded, I got an assigned parking space. It was a longer walk than just doing the open parking.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Today I made a joke about the "crossing a river with a wolf, a goat, and a head of cabbage" riddle in class (it was in reference to the proposal to introduce more wolves onto Isle Royale in Lake Superior to keep the population going and continue the ongoing research into predator-prey dynamics on the island), but nobody remembered the riddle, so they just looked at me.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Today I made a joke about the "crossing a river with a wolf, a goat, and a head of cabbage" riddle in class (it was in reference to the proposal to introduce more wolves onto Isle Royale in Lake Superior to keep the population going and continue the ongoing research into predator-prey dynamics on the island), but nobody remembered the riddle, so they just looked at me.
    That's awesome. I can just imagine you saying something like "I hope they remember to bring a goat and a cabbage when they take the wolves to the island". I'd have laughed.

(I do that all the time; My brain makes a connection. I think it's amusing. I say something. Crickets chirp.)

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I'm familiar with the riddle, but not using those three specific species. Can't remember exactly which ones I've heard it with, however.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I'm familiar with the riddle, but not using those three specific species. Can't remember exactly which ones I've heard it with, however.
    That made me google with the words { wolf goat cabbage }.

The first page of results were all { wolf goat cabbage }, except one each of { fox goose bag of beans } and { wolf sheep cabbage }.

(
    Reminded me of a puzzle supposedly used by Microsoft in employee interviews, which I saw many years ago. Similar in that it involved having movers go back and forth, but there was a bridge to cross, there was a time limit, and it involved using the members of U2 (as in Bono, the Edge, and those others guys) who each had different bridge-crossing speeds. (The trick was that the solution didn't mean simply having the fastest member do the going back and forth, it was more efficient in the specific situation to have two of the not-fastest crossers go together in one trip, even though it meant one of them also had to go back once.)
    )

That's awesome. I can just imagine you saying something like "I hope they remember to bring a goat and a cabbage when they take the wolves to the island". I'd have laughed.

(I do that all the time; My brain makes a connection. I think it's amusing. I say something. Crickets chirp.)
    I said, (imitating a biologist presenting the proposal to a review committee) "I want to bring more wolves over on a boat."

(imitating the committee) "But what will you do with the goat and cabbage?"

And then a moment later, when everybody was staring "You know, like the riddle?"
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2017-Oct-17 at 12:57 AM.

Oh for goodness sake, ...
    So this afternoon I got an email asking "would you like park XYZ999?".

I write back "please let me check which one that is".

And when I went home I took a look around - it's the park I had been using already for a year, and which - when this allocating first came up last week - I'd already asked to keep.

Sigh.

And when I went home I took a look around - it's the park I had been using already for a year, and which - when this allocating first came up last week - I'd already asked to keep.

Sigh.
    What does "park" mean in this context?

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The one I remember features missionaries and cannibals but no doubt that's not PC any more.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Sane question, I always thought a Park was a place where you played.
    As above, so below

Sigh.
    Which means, you won!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    The one I remember features missionaries and cannibals but no doubt that's not PC any more.
    Fox, rabbit, cabbage, in my world. Because of the obvious difficulties engendered for a person sharing a rowing boat with a wolf that's (by the definition of the problem) slaveringly ready to kill a large mammal.

Grant Hutchison

Lion, Sheep, and Pile of Straw, in my youth.

Bridge and torch problem.

River Crossing Puzzles

What does "park" mean in this context?
    Parking spot (or parking space) is the term I'd use for it. I don't know that I've ever head "park" used to refer to a singular spot, but that's definitely how Pzkpfw has been using it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I've encountered that riddle with any number of species.

As for the parking thing, I was able to determine from context that it was a parking space. Actually, at the last job I had, their parking lot was so small that they ended up having to lease parking from one of the government agencies across the street that didn't use all of theirs, so you had to factor "walking almost a full block" into your commute time unless you were very lucky indeed.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"