Page 353 of 375 FirstFirst ... 253303343351352353354355363 ... LastLast
Results 10,561 to 10,590 of 11246

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I pulled a muscle in my leg climbing over the baby gate yesterday.
    Could have been worse. A friend of mine fitted a baby gate at the top of his stairs when their first-born started to toddle. He started the job late in the evening, went to bed after midnight, got up in the middle of the night to go for a drink, fell over the baby gate and went headfirst downstairs, breaking both is wrists.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Sounds like an excuse for "Sorry, Honey, you'll have to feed/change him. Wrists, you know."
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Right now I am having darn I wish I thought about that moment.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Sounds like an excuse for "Sorry, Honey, you'll have to feed/change him. Wrists, you know."
    His wife had to cope with worse than that, in the toileting department. As my friend reported, "When you've broken both your wrists, you really find out who your friends are."

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    His wife had to cope with worse than that, in the toileting department. As my friend reported, "When you've broken both your wrists, you really find out who your friends are."

Grant Hutchison
    I learned about that when I got hurt. It's quite amazing how quickly you get used to having strangers perform personal hygiene functions for you when you cant.
    My wife at least escaped it as I could more or less take care of myself by the time I got home.

Grant Hutchison
    A friend of mine hit a deer on a motorcycle. Both arms, several fingers and his collar bone were broken. His girlfriend thought she had escaped unscathed but had a nasty concussion. Both were wearing helmets and the bike didn't go down until they stopped. The deer struck both his arms and then went over their heads. They knocked helmets, which likely concussed them both. When you have both arms in casts and a broken collar bone, you don't get around enough to complain about a head injury. He swore up and down that he broke his jaw, which oddly, he hadn't. Full face helmet and one part luck.

The girlfriend's concussion became very obvious when she started calling him "Q-tip". He really looked like he had two Q-tips for hands, but it wasn't nice to say. She'd get real mean with him, but then again, she was attending to all of his needs for months. Very odd behavior for her, she was usually super sweet. They eventually got married, so I guess things got better.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    A friend of mine hit a deer on a motorcycle.
    Pause.
    Groucho Marx can take it from here, I'm sure.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

How that elephant got in my pajamas I'll never know!

Could have been worse. A friend of mine fitted a baby gate at the top of his stairs when their first-born started to toddle. He started the job late in the evening, went to bed after midnight, got up in the middle of the night to go for a drink, fell over the baby gate and went headfirst downstairs, breaking both is wrists.
    Yet another advantage to not having stairs, I suppose. But Irene has figured out how to climb out of her baby pen and does so at every opportunity. Seems likely that the gates are next.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

having pitch all over hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    A friend of mine hit a deer on a motorcycle. Both arms, several fingers and his collar bone were broken. His girlfriend thought she had escaped unscathed but had a nasty concussion. Both were wearing helmets and the bike didn't go down until they stopped. The deer struck both his arms and then went over their heads. They knocked helmets, which likely concussed them both. When you have both arms in casts and a broken collar bone, you don't get around enough to complain about a head injury. He swore up and down that he broke his jaw, which oddly, he hadn't. Full face helmet and one part luck.

The girlfriend's concussion became very obvious when she started calling him "Q-tip". He really looked like he had two Q-tips for hands, but it wasn't nice to say. She'd get real mean with him, but then again, she was attending to all of his needs for months. Very odd behavior for her, she was usually super sweet. They eventually got married, so I guess things got better.
    A friend of mine had ridden off road motorcycles all his life. He'd competed in moto x (scrambling) races for over 30 years and though crashed many times with many minor injuries, never did any worse than break a toe and one wrist. In his late forties after many years nagging from his wife about how dangerous the sport is especially at his age. He reluctantly gave up the sport of moto x and with strong encouragement from his wife took up cycling instead. A couple of months in he was really enjoying it and it was keeping him fit both mentally and physically. One early morning out cycling with a group of friends he was heading down a hill when a badger ran out in front of him. He broke both his wrists, collar bone, cracked a couple of ribs, broke his jaw and fractured his skull (he was wearing a helmet which had saved his life!). I think afterwards his wife secretly wished she had just left him to the moto x.

Road cycling is madly dangerous, it seems. The department I worked in was full of enthusiastic road cyclists, and all of them had been injured at a broken-bone sort of level. And, contrary to generally held opinion, almost none of the injuries involved vehicular traffic - pot-holes, animals, other cyclists, and just plain coming off for no obvious reason. Only one accident I can recall involved a car - someone reversed out of their driveway while the cyclist was going fast along a suburban street with limited visibility.
    Cycling injuries were so common that, when I turned up to work with a black eye and missing front tooth after facial surgery, more than one person looked at me and said, "I didn't know you were a cyclist."

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Road cycling is madly dangerous, it seems. The department I worked in was full of enthusiastic road cyclists, and all of them had been injured at a broken-bone sort of level. And, contrary to generally held opinion, almost none of the injuries involved vehicular traffic - pot-holes, animals, other cyclists, and just plain coming off for no obvious reason. Only one accident I can recall involved a car - someone reversed out of their driveway while the cyclist was going fast along a suburban street with limited visibility.
    Cycling injuries were so common that, when I turned up to work with a black eye and missing front tooth after facial surgery, more than one person looked at me and said, "I didn't know you were a cyclist."

Grant Hutchison
    all the serious cyclists I know have knobbly collar bones where that typical break followed falling off onto one shoulder. They didn'y really bother to have them set properly so also had a hunched look.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I've figured out that the persistent sore throat I've had the last couple of weeks is a known side effect of the medication I'm on. Since it's also causing dizziness and not having a discernible effect on my mood, I'm going to call in this morning and suggest that maybe there's no point to staying on it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Grant Hutchison
    Many cyclists around here are obnoxious and sometimes foolish. On the bicycle trail near my home, sometimes a long string of them will blow through stop signs when crossing roads and expect motorists to stay out of their way. On that trail there are signs specifying right of way rules. Horses have the right of way over everyone else, followed by pedestrians and finally cyclists in descending order of right. Just try to tell these extremist cyclists that. There sometimes seems to be a correlation between gussied-up athletic wear and bad manners.

I remember news about two cyclists who collided head-on at night. Both were running dark and did not see each other. One of them came to in the hospital and thought he had hit a tree. The other was dead on arrival.

Apple’s Siri is the Ralphie Wiggum of digital assistants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

The way journalists have moved from the editorial "we" to the authorial "we" in recent years. The editorial "we" was non-inclusive and self-aggrandizing, and rightly mocked into extinction. But now journalists seem to want to treat me as if I have exactly the same concerns and interests that they do:
    "We're all agog for the next season of Game of Thrones, aren't we?" (No.)
    "We all over-indulged during the holiday season, didn't we?" (No.)
    "We can't believe what Heather Locklear looks like now." (I'm sure I could get my head around it if the occasion demanded.)

And now, for that little bit of extra immediacy, they've switched to the second person:
    "Who's ultimately to blame for Facebook's data mishandling? YOU are! You tacitly encouraged them. We all did." (No, I was the one watching with my mouth open while other people tacitly encouraged them.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    the word that bugs me is when journalists use epicentre for centre. It must sound more grand, more central, more educated when it's just ignorant use of the wrong word which does have a specific meaning.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

As I said a few times over the years the word calculus being used by journalists to mean math in general, to me it is like calculus is math but not all math is calculus kind of thing on the lines of the difference between thumbs and fingers.

I wish I was a bit more organized.

had one of those days you plan doing a project and a lot little things come up, well at least I back to working on a website.
    ETA man this can writ, write and write.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Apr-19 at 10:37 PM.

So, I got up this morning and went to make myself some coffee. There was just enough for one cup. And I was low on creamer.

Later in the day I was out running errands. I stopped at the grocery and picked up some creamer.

And forgot the coffee.

(Yes, I made a list. I just didn't read it.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

He's makin' a list, checkin' it never, gonna find out, who's naughty and, um, out of coffee.

So he using my shopping method.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    And forgot the coffee.
    Did the exact same thing yesterday. The supermarket is on the way home from work, so I often pop in for a few things, instead of doing big shopping expeditions.

Yesterday (Friday) got some milk for my Saturday morning coffee-with-newspaper ritual. (I use the drip filter thing on weekend mornings).

It was very weak this morning. I should've remembered.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    So, I got up this morning and went to make myself some coffee. There was just enough for one cup. And I was low on creamer.

Later in the day I was out running errands. I stopped at the grocery and picked up some creamer.

And forgot the coffee.

(Yes, I made a list. I just didn't read it.)
    "Mmm, this hot water is delicious!"
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Running out of coffee is not an issue for me we have a nice stash of instant and I am down to about a cup a week.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Running out of coffee is not an issue for me we have a nice stash of instant and I am down to about a cup a week.
    I've been drinking hot tea since I was maybe ten years old. I've always kept about 20 different blends and flavors around the house and try new ones all the time. I have strong black teas for the morning; raspberry or vanilla or Earl Grey variants for any time; and milder black teas for the evening (no green teas). I brew it from the leaves at home, and keep an assortment of tea bags (you have to make some sacrifices) at the office.

So, I only drink coffee when it's free and the only thing available.

Someone called Avicii has died. Apparently that's a big thing. I had never heard of him before.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I've been drinking hot tea since I was maybe ten years old. I've always kept about 20 different blends and flavors around the house and try new ones all the time. I have strong black teas for the morning; raspberry or vanilla or Earl Grey variants for any time; and milder black teas for the evening (no green teas). I brew it from the leaves at home, and keep an assortment of tea bags (you have to make some sacrifices) at the office.

So, I only drink coffee when it's free and the only thing available.
    The person who watched our kids when we took our anniversary night away is a tea drinker. A while back, she went to visit her parents in Montana for a couple of weeks and forgot to bring any tea with her. All her mother had was Lipton tea bags, as I recall.

"You can't erase icing."