Page 354 of 369 FirstFirst ... 254304344352353354355356364 ... LastLast
Results 10,591 to 10,620 of 11067

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Someone called Avicii has died. Apparently that's a big thing. I had never heard of him before.
    Nor I. Also, someone named Logic is getting divorced. Apparently, he was famous enough to be spoofed on Family Guy, but Ive never heard of him.

I never thought Id say this, but maybe I should pay a little more attention to pop culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Nor I. Also, someone named Logic is getting divorced. Apparently, he was famous enough to be spoofed on Family Guy, but I’ve never heard of him.

I never thought I’d say this, but maybe I should pay a little more attention to pop culture.
    I'll do that when pop culture pays more attention to me. Until then, pop culture is on its own.

(I've spent my whole life ignorant of pop culture. I've never been in an emergency situation in which I thought, "Dang, if only I knew more pop culture, this never would have happened.")

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Pop culture is why I've never applied to be a contestant on Jeopardy, despite the urging of my family members.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The person who watched our kids when we took our anniversary night away is a tea drinker. A while back, she went to visit her parents in Montana for a couple of weeks and forgot to bring any tea with her. All her mother had was Lipton tea bags, as I recall.
    I'm pretty sure that Lipton's was what got me started, and I didn't know there was any other kind for a few years!

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Running out of coffee is not an issue for me we have a nice stash of instant and I am down to about a cup a week.
    If you're down to drinking instant, you are well and truly out of ​coffee.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I'm getting by on Keurig, which is not much better.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Coffee was caffeine delivery device only and I am the only coffee drinker in the house. Every once and a while I get something timmies and every few months a will get something like a latte at the local coffee shop.
    ETA I still have my primary caffeine source, I needed a lot of caffeine for a while.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Apr-22 at 01:42 AM.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

What have they done to "Peter Rabbit"?
    The title character of a beloved story from my childhood comes across as a bully, according to the trailer my Cable TV provider is showing.

One advantage to not liking the taste of coffee is that -- in a pinch -- I can drink any old brand, or reheated day-old brew, and it doesn't taste any worse to me.

Why the neighbor has to start his hot rod at 7 am any other time.
    Cleaned out the ditch the other and by yesterday someone throw a beer can onto side of the road.

You know those cartoons where someone can't find their glasses because they are on top of his head? I did that this afternoon.
    Just the reading glasses, however. Because the distance ones are broken after I stepped on them.

Having an idea that might solve a problem with the phone books that is sharing a car that is really designed for it and working some one else schedule. And I know it probably won't work because it involves renting a car from a dealer and all the insurance issues.

The books are in bit have to wait for car and the owner of car thinks I going to deliver 2100 phone books over a couple hundred kms of road in 3 days.

How best laid plans go way off the track pretty fast.
    How much traffic there is on a Friday that the kids are out of school, there is a farmers market and there are people setting up for a trade show.
    And how fast the charge on cell phone can go.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-May-04 at 08:56 PM.

Setting someone up for a joke; and they get all the plaudits for the obvious reply, not you for the clever set up.

(Yes, really really trivial.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Setting someone up for a joke; and they get all the plaudits for the obvious reply, not you for the clever set up.

(Yes, really really trivial.)
    I'm with you on this

I do this occasionally, and the person replying comments on how they made a joke out of my initial remark without realizing I had anticipated their reply, "setting them up". Very trivial but annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    (I've spent my whole life ignorant of pop culture.
    So what about that joke about radio stars?
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    So what about that joke about radio stars?
    Ah-ha. My girlfriend of the time went through a period of singing that one line, over and over again. So I can tell you it was in vogue around 1979, either just before or just after "talk about pop music", which was her other recurring chant in the time we spent together.
    (I also learned a very great deal about Status Quo during that relationship, but I've yet to find a natural outlet for that knowledge.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Ah-ha. My girlfriend of the time went through a period of singing that one line, over and over again. So I can tell you it was in vogue around 1979, either just before or just after "talk about pop music", which was her other recurring chant in the time we spent together.
    Actually, I'm sure I was chanting it at the time as well...

Talk about, pop muzik...
    As above, so below

I have 6 routes this year 3 of which could of been combine into 1 and there is a lot overlap on a couple. On 2 routes they have they businesses on the same road. Also they give us a limited number of phone books and go into a business and they go we need 10 or 8.

Tech companies trying to clothe themselves in some high moral purpose. Facebook's public stance that merely "connecting people" is some sort of self-evident benefit to the world (in the teeth of the evidence) for instance. And I recently read an interview with Apple's CEO in which he seemed to imagine that Apple products were "empowering" (why do I feel so tooth-grindingly frustrated when trying to deal with them, then?). He rather snippily asked the interviewer when was the last time he had seen anyone being empowered by a Microsoft product. That would be Windows XP, I think, or perhaps Windows 7 ... whereas I have to go all the way back to the Apple II Plus (sorry, Apple ][+) before I got any sense of empowerment from Apple.
    Quit pretending that you are a Force For Good, guys, and realize that you are fundamentally tool-makers.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Got to stop taking so many pictures it slows things down, won't be to much trouble today. Haow many pictures can you take driving thru a heath.

Social media sites (face book, twitter...) bug me. Ok, maybe not the sites themselves since they can be useful tools. But people who post pointless drivel that is of no interest to anyone but the poster themselves. For example, my sister spends most of her free time posting junk. Things like "I'm having beans on toast for dinner" and? so what who cares?

I'll bet your sister cares.

Because of the nice weather we had this weekend, I wore my tennis shoes with no socks for the first time this year. Unfortunately, I got the typical wearing-tennis-shoes-with-no-socks-for-the-first-time blisters on the backs of my ankles, and another on one of my right toes. The ankles are okay now after a few days of wearing bandages, but the toe is still sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    Social media sites (face book, twitter...) bug me. Ok, maybe not the sites themselves since they can be useful tools. But people who post pointless drivel that is of no interest to anyone but the poster themselves. For example, my sister spends most of her free time posting junk. Things like "I'm having beans on toast for dinner" and? so what who cares?
    I think it's corrosive.

I'd tell my ex wife how nice she looked but the compliment would get drowned out by the 85+ "likes" she'd get (plus 20 or more "so beautiful" comments from friends and nieces) for a selfie on Facebook. (About twice per day.)

Later she'd complain I never noticed how she looked. I couldn't compete.

I was a real live person doing real things for her, but always felt less important than all those "friends".
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Tech companies trying to clothe themselves in some high moral purpose. Facebook's public stance that merely "connecting people" is some sort of self-evident benefit to the world (in the teeth of the evidence) for instance. And I recently read an interview with Apple's CEO in which he seemed to imagine that Apple products were "empowering" (why do I feel so tooth-grindingly frustrated when trying to deal with them, then?). He rather snippily asked the interviewer when was the last time he had seen anyone being empowered by a Microsoft product. That would be Windows XP, I think, or perhaps Windows 7 ... whereas I have to go all the way back to the Apple II Plus (sorry, Apple ][+) before I got any sense of empowerment from Apple.
    Quit pretending that you are a Force For Good, guys, and realize that you are fundamentally tool-makers.

Grant Hutchison

And just concentrate on making better tools.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

This participation trophy stuff has gotten out of hand.

A software search tool installed on my office PC just congratulated me for correctly entering the search path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we took Irene to her first dental check-up, her insurance came back as "inactive." The website told us to call the phone number; the phone number told us to go to the website. Yesterday, I was able to talk to a person. The problem? They needed her Social Security number, which they must have already had, since she has the same insurance this year as last year.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    ... The website told us to call the phone number; the phone number told us to go to the website. ...
    A couple years ago I took some optional additional life insurance at work, but once they started charging me for it, I found that I couldn't get any information about the plan. Three different companies were involved, and no matter where I began and whom I phoned or logged into, I would, after much wasted transfer and holding time, be mechanically referred back to the same phone number (after a time I had it memorized) with the three choices. I followed each path in turn and the buck got passed around and back here. My personnel department had the devil's own time in clearing it up, which led me to believe that I was the only one ever to opt for this.