Page 356 of 375 FirstFirst ... 256306346354355356357358366 ... LastLast
Results 10,651 to 10,680 of 11246

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

  1. #10651
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,649
    I invented a phonebook-based game some time ago.

    https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...16#post2051616

    Last time I got hold of a new phone book, I was planning to look at the "yellow pages" to look for semi-funny phrases according to my rules above, but was thwarted: this one has just one word, or one usually longer phrase for each page, e.g.: REFRIGERATORS & FREEZERS-DEALERS or RESTAURANTS. No fun any more.

  2. #10652
    The phone says unrecognizable sim so I guess I have to go to phone place.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  3. #10653
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,609
    When my large company still had printed phone books (they were thicker than the ones for the town I live in now, even without the yellow pages), I always enjoyed looking to see how many of me worked there. It was quite a few.

    Also fun was when a bit of snail mail would come around just having been addressed to "Bob Trebuchet" and going to one after another incorrect desk. I would go to some effort to figure out from context who might have been the correct one.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  4. #10654
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,432
    Why doesn't Windows want me to have an easy way to move a file from one folder into another?
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  5. #10655
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    The Space Coast
    Posts
    4,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Why doesn't Windows want me to have an easy way to move a file from one folder into another?
    I assume you're doing something more complicated than usual? Otherwise a drag and drop from one to the other seems pretty easy?

    CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"


    lonelybirder.org

  6. #10656
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,170
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    We weren't given the phone books at the call center I worked at mostly because we were just to take in coming calls. I used Some book called Death from the skies and a couple more to prop up my monitor. ...
    Okay.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  7. #10657
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,649
    Windows tightened system security between XP and Vista. Competition with Linux systems. I soon discovered that ordinary users couldn't store files in the root folder of the C: drive, and other folders couldn't be accessed except as an "administrator."

    Now, you can give your own account all the admin privileges, which I suppose is what most of us did, so it was no big deal, but required an extra step to do a task reserved to administrators. you had to say 'Dagnabbit, I are an administrator!" Yeah, it's riskier (you can delete essential things and feel stupid afterward) but nobody's going to tell me what I can and can't do on my own computer!

  8. #10658
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Anzakistan
    Posts
    10,852
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    ... Yeah, it's riskier (you can delete essential things and feel stupid afterward) but nobody's going to tell me what I can and can't do on my own computer!
    It's more about what malicious software can do if it executes under your user context.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

  9. #10659
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,609
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I assume you're doing something more complicated than usual? Otherwise a drag and drop from one to the other seems pretty easy?

    CJSF
    If the folders aren't on the same drive (like going from a folder on the hard drive to a thumb), you'll get a copy rather than a move, but otherwise drag and drop works fine for me.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  10. #10660
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,649
    Another annoying thing is that it may stop you from copying or moving a file because said file is "open" in another application, when in fact it isn't, but the system still thinks it is.

  11. #10661
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Anzakistan
    Posts
    10,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    If the folders aren't on the same drive (like going from a folder on the hard drive to a thumb), you'll get a copy rather than a move, but otherwise drag and drop works fine for me.
    Hold down a Shift key while doing the drag between drives, it should move not copy.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

  12. #10662
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,587

    Really trivial stuff that bugs you

    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Hold down a Shift key while doing the drag between drives, it should move not copy.
    Right-button drag and drop gives a pop-up menu option of move or copy.

    I always use it, because the default (left button ) copy/move behavior never seems to be what I want.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  13. #10663
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    47,900
    I'm a Ctrl-c, ctrl-x, ctrl-v kind of guy.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  14. #10664
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,649
    I think it's better to use the menus, as it is all too easy to drop a file into the wrong folder, after which it may be some work to locate it.
    "Move" is a better choice within a drive. It's fast, as it's really just a renaming. "Copy" is slow, because the system is actually making another copy.
    "Move" to another drive is essentially Copy followed by a Delete of the old file.

  15. #10665
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    8,662
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I think it's better to use the menus, as it is all too easy to drop a file into the wrong folder...
    I have more than once had users who had "lost" files they were trying to open. In many cases, the user had a bit of a quiver in their hands and would just slightly move the mouse while double-clicking, and instead of "click-release-click-release" it was "click-move-release-click-release" and that little "move" was just enough to end up making it a drag-and-drop to a nearby folder.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

  16. #10666
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,649
    Yep. Sometimes I'd open a rarely-used folder and find some file (or subfolder) that I'd given up as lost years ago. (Your folders may be nearby in a directory alphabetically or by size or date, but not functionally.)

  17. #10667
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,170
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I have more than once had users who had "lost" files they were trying to open. In many cases, the user had a bit of a quiver in their hands and would just slightly move the mouse while double-clicking, and instead of "click-release-click-release" it was "click-move-release-click-release" and that little "move" was just enough to end up making it a drag-and-drop to a nearby folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Yep. Sometimes I'd open a rarely-used folder and find some file (or subfolder) that I'd given up as lost years ago. (Your folders may be nearby in a directory alphabetically or by size or date, but not functionally.)
    Which is why Mr. Gates had an Edit option placed on the Windows Explorer ribbon. "Undo Move" (Or, for Treb, Ctrl-Z.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  18. #10668
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,649
    If you ever have a huge directory tree with sub-sub-directories and hundreds of files unaccountably vanish, you might just look for it in a neighboring directory.

  19. #10669
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,432
    The thing about drag and drop is that I have to keep the folders I'm dragging and dropping to open. Since what I was doing was sorting pictures, that means at least four folders open. And that's only when all that's in the original folder is pictures of the kids. If there's anything else, that's more folders to put those pictures into.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  20. #10670
    Right now I should clean up the files on this pc mostly saved are podcasts and pictures.

    The other thing is the shortness of time between when the good weather starts and when bugs start coming out.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  21. #10671
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The thing about drag and drop is that I have to keep the folders I'm dragging and dropping to open. Since what I was doing was sorting pictures, that means at least four folders open. And that's only when all that's in the original folder is pictures of the kids. If there's anything else, that's more folders to put those pictures into.
    You don't, actually. If you just have the list of folders visible you can drop onto that.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  22. #10672
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    8,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The thing about drag and drop is that I have to keep the folders I'm dragging and dropping to open.
    When the folders you're moving files into are all subfolders of the same folder, you don't need to have each individual subfolder open. Just have the main folder open, and drop your files onto the folder icon for specific subfolder. You can even do this with the folder list in the left navigation pane.

    Granted, sometimes the target folders aren't all in the same place on the drive, but they often are.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

  23. #10673
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    You don't, actually. If you just have the list of folders visible you can drop onto that.
    But my computer won't make them visible, since they're in other folders.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  24. #10674
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    But my computer won't make them visible, since they're in other folders.
    I can make them visible by clicking the plus sign on the old computer with Win7, but just discovered the Win10 one doesn't allow that. Microsoft has been making file management worse in every iteration for a long time now.

    ETA: Scratch that, I figured out how to turn it on. "View all files" or some such. Still less friendly than before.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2018-May-14 at 10:48 PM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  25. #10675
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,432
    The issue is, I sort my pictures of my kids by how old they are when the picture is taken. One folder for each kid, plus one for pictures of both of them. One folder inside that for each year, and then one folder inside that for each month. It makes it easy for me to find any given picture. It does not make it easy to sort them these days.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  26. #10676
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA (near Washington, DC)
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I can make them visible by clicking the plus sign on the old computer with Win7, but just discovered the Win10 one doesn't allow that. Microsoft has been making file management worse in every iteration for a long time now.

    ETA: Scratch that, I figured out how to turn it on. "View all files" or some such. Still less friendly than before.
    Where is that "View all files"?

  27. #10677
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,347
    I think this is the droi...err...sequence that you're looking for:

    File Explorer
    -->View (tab) --> Navigation Pane -->Show All Folders

  28. #10678
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA (near Washington, DC)
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I think this is the droi...err...sequence that you're looking for:

    File Explorer
    -->View (tab) --> Navigation Pane -->Show All Folders
    Thank you much.

  29. #10679
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,609
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I think this is the droi...err...sequence that you're looking for:

    File Explorer
    -->View (tab) --> Navigation Pane -->Show All Folders
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Thank you much.
    Yes, thank you, I knew I didn't have it quite right. Still bugs me that it's more complicated and difficult than W7. Which is worse than XP.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  30. #10680
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,347
    I liked XP. I could make it do what I wanted. I resisted Win 10 for as long as I could but our company platform had to change in order to provide ongoing support.

Similar Threads

  1. Trivial coincidences from everyday life.
    By Buttercup in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 2012-Nov-02, 09:08 PM
  2. Trivial Relief:
    By Moose in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2006-Jul-19, 01:20 PM
  3. Bad Astronomy in Trivial Pursuit, Genus 5 Edition
    By tracer in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 2005-May-12, 01:52 PM
  4. Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...
    By Brady Yoon in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-29, 01:44 PM
  5. Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...
    By Brady Yoon in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-28, 01:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •