Page 322 of 322 FirstFirst ... 222272312320321322
Results 9,631 to 9,654 of 9654

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Two sets of headphones going bad this week.
    I can't find mine.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I lost my Bluetooth ear piece, bought a new one, then found the old one.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

It happened, again. I went to the kitchen area of our office to get some ice. The ice maker isn't connected; there are a couple of trays to use to make ice. I make it a habit to refill the trays after I empty them.

And I found one tray with half of the ice dumped out, and the half-filled tray placed back in the freezer. Somehow that's even more maddening than the times(s) I've found an empty tray placed back in the freezer.

Now you can say, "Hey, it's not rocket science, but it's close." But this is an engineering office. Folks here are familiar with the laws of thermodynamics. They understand process mechanics. This should be an easy concept to grasp and an easier task to complete.

Empty.
    Refill.
    Replace.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

We had a problem for a long time at work with people drinking the last of the coffee, or even worse leaving 10 or 15 ml (so they could say "no, I didn't leave it empty") and not making more.

I put up this by the coffee machine.

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Did it work?

(Our company has ten "guiding principles" that we're supposed to apply to how we work. They will make us better, stronger, faster ... uh, better people and employees. Every so often someone puts up a sign which ties making more coffee to one of those principles - usually Respect. It doesn't work. Rules do not apply to company coffee pots.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

about 10 minutes before LOS for Cassini.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Did it work?
    Maybe. I didn't really collect data on it. Seems to be a less of problem now. At least people got a laugh.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Did it work?

(Our company has ten "guiding principles" that we're supposed to apply to how we work. They will make us better, stronger, faster ... uh, better people and employees. Every so often someone puts up a sign which ties making more coffee to one of those principles - usually Respect. It doesn't work. Rules do not apply to company coffee pots.)
    "Respect"? I'd file that under "personal safety".
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

The charge on my cell phone went real low like zero I think this afternoon and now there is just a giant battery icon charging, don't know what happened to the content on the phone.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

The charge on my cell phone went real low like zero I think this afternoon and now there is just a giant battery icon charging, don't know what happened to the content on the phone.
    If it's anything like my phone, it'll be fine. My phone spends most of its life with no charge. I see that battery icon for a while pretty much every time I want to use it.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    If it's anything like my phone, it'll be fine. My phone spends most of its life with no charge. I see that battery icon for a while pretty much every time I want to use it.

Grant Hutchison
    I'd never let it go that low before. I don't use as a phone so much as mp3 player/camera.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

That means the battery died and your phone essentially shut off. Pretty standard. It won't turn back on until the battery reaches a certain level. For my phone, that's 2%. Have you not run down a phone battery before?

CJSF
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

No I haven't.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

If it goes to negative, run.

This is mildly annoying. I am in several classes to learn how to run a classroom. The problem is, I have been in a classroom environment for several years already so I kind of know what I am doing. What is painful is some students have some rather obvious question, which really need answers, but for me it feels like a waste. I don't want to push through other people, but I get impatient quickly.

One funny topic was behavior tracking. The goal is to have a measure of success for the student. When you track negative behaviors, you want to get an idea of frequence not develop a list of things to throw back at the student. If anything, you want to be able to say, "Hey, great job today!" The scenario involved a student with bad behaviors tracked weekly, meaning the student might have two issues a week. One of my classmates asked "What if the behavior is daily?" The answer was track hourly, which is reasonable and somewhat obvious. This is amusing to me because I have worked with students that were tracked in sixty second intervals.

Here is another annoyance of late: I work in a classroom and go to college. References to either bewilders my wife and kids. I keep having to switch to things like "coworker" vs "professor" and "classmate" vs. "student", and then forget which causes more confusion. Where it gets very annoying is when I am in class and say "child" and get corrected to "student", but really mean my own child, OR I am speaking about students who have somehow become "my children"... Yeah, some students get to you that much that they become "your children".
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

The other day, Simon ran my tablet down to a 1% charge . . . and then left it sitting around without telling me what he'd done.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

well all is good with my phone.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Did it work?

I'd rather drink tea, so I always make my own brew, and I get to ignore the entire coffee culture.

(Only once in all these years did someone else complain that because I was the earliest in to the office I ought to still start the coffee.)

I also avoid using the communal refrigerators (I have a chill-able lunch box) so that I can stay out of those politics.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I'd rather drink tea, so I always make my own brew, and I get to ignore the entire coffee culture.
    It's actually possible to drink coffee and ignore the whole coffee culture.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    It's actually possible to drink coffee and ignore the whole coffee culture.

Grant Hutchison
    Yeah, I hear there's this bottle device that keeps hot things hot, and cold things cold, and knows which to do, but I don't believe it.

A couple of years ago, I was going to a class one morning a week. I brought my own packets of hot chocolate mix, as I drink neither coffee nor tea, and those were the hot beverage options. The only other option was ice water, and it was a fall class.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Yesterday, I went to the fabric store to buy material for a quilt a friend of mine is paying me to make for her godson. He likes whales and boats, and so I picked up several brightly coloured and patterned cottons with whales or boats on them, plus a "fat quarter," a chunk of material the right size to use for basic quilting, of a blue batik that looked like water. Which vanished somewhere between the register and my front door, it seems. I had to go back and buy it again.

"You can't erase icing."

Did it work?

We had a hard time getting people not to leave dirty dishes in the sink at our office. Sometimes they would stay there for days. We tried polite signs, like "Please wash your dishes." Didn't work. We tried pointed signs, like one with a grumpy toad saying, "Not angry, just disappointed. Do your dishes." Didn't work. I added a sign that said "Days with no dishes left in the sink" and an updatable tally. IT WORKED! It's been months now and there have only been one or two times we had to start the tally over. In fact, it's gone so long that we don't bother to update it anymore. Positive reinforcement works!

keeping in mind that there are certainly far worse problems in the world...

While awaiting new (company) software installation, decided to check health insurance policies. While waiting for company techs to call, I'm inundated by calls from insurance agents.

Poor timing, Buttercup!
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

This probably would bug me if I flew. Iceland air have started to put on interactive plays during the flight.
    https://www.avclub.com/icelandair-in...-in-1818520699
    Don't Panic THGTTG