Page 388 of 388 FirstFirst ... 288338378386387388
Results 11,611 to 11,628 of 11628

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

I'm annoyed that I have to type out my email address when I log into many sites. I would have expected OS and keyboard developers to have come up with an easy way to assign text to one of the function keys. Given the prevalence of email address as a login for many years now, I would have expected them to have specifically set up something for entering your email address. Yes, I understand there are ways I can do this or something similar with downloadable apps but still ... I'm annoyed. Have I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I'm annoyed that I have to type out my email address when I log into many sites. I would have expected OS and keyboard developers to have come up with an easy way to assign text to one of the function keys. Given the prevalence of email address as a login for many years now, I would have expected them to have specifically set up something for entering your email address. Yes, I understand there are ways I can do this or something similar with downloadable apps but still ... I'm annoyed. Have I missed something?
    The Chrome browser can remember a lot of pre-fill stuff that you routinely use, such as email addresses, your full name, home address and even credit card numbers (you still need to enter the code off the back of the card). The web site form has to be coded to accept the data but most are set up that way these days. I suspect Firefox and IE Explorer can do similar.

But, yes, back in the day with proprietary keyboards and systems there was a concept called a "save-get" key. Today we might call that a macro. In any event you could store a text string "under" that key for repeated use.

ETA: From the Chrome Help site: Fill out forms automatically

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    The Chrome browser can remember a lot of pre-fill stuff that you routinely use, such as email addresses, your full name, home address and even credit card numbers (you still need to enter the code off the back of the card). The web site form has to be coded to accept the data but most are set up that way these days. I suspect Firefox and IE Explorer can do similar.

But, yes, back in the day with proprietary keyboards and systems there was a concept called a "save-get" key. Today we might call that a macro. In any event you could store a text string "under" that key for repeated use.

ETA: From the Chrome Help site: Fill out forms automatically
    I don't actually want websites remembering much of anything I enter.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    You know what They say ... "It takes a thousand words to explain a dumb picture," or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    "Sometimes a word is worth a thousand pictures" sums up my first experience with a Macintosh.
    Lol. I used to like Mac OS, back when it was pretty and functional. My son calls them Emoji Machines, which is not so far from the truth.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I don't actually want websites remembering much of anything I enter.
    Just to clarify, your data (name, email address, etc.) is stored in the Chrome browser, not on the site. And the stored information is all fairly innocuous stuff that you would routinely provide anyway.

A confuser two-fer!
    1. Because when the only tool you have is Excel Open Office Calc, every problem looks like a spreadsheet, I manage my life with one. It has the daily doing list, the daily done list, the bills to be paid list, the bills that have been paid list, and a whole bunch of other stuff, including a calendar of upcoming events. Yesterday I was trying to enter an event for the 4th of March. Typing 3/4 immediately converts to a three-fourths symbol: ĺ. Trying to add the year just gets me ĺ/2019. I have to type "03/04/2019" to get it in. Too "smart" by half.
    2. Google or Samsung or someone decided to do an operating system update on my phone this morning. That's fine, I want the latest, I guess. But why did they have to change the icons for all the most frequently used programs? And take away the description text for the four permanent ones at the bottom?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    2. Google or Samsung or someone decided to do an operating system update on my phone this morning. That's fine, I want the latest, I guess. But why did they have to change the icons for all the most frequently used programs? And take away the description text for the four permanent ones at the bottom?
    I go the same update and noticed something was different but couldn't figure out the text was missing.
    Solfe

I am still upset they got rid of "programs" and made it "apps" and "processes".

I crack a lot of jokes about being bald. If I do it on Facebook, it causes the software to generate a lot of ads about hair care products. I'm being mocked by software.
    Solfe

I've long believed that programmers change things that don't need changing just to keep themselves employed.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I crack a lot of jokes about being bald. If I do it on Facebook, it causes the software to generate a lot of ads about hair care products. I'm being mocked by software.
    There's your problem. I avoid Facebook like the plague. On the other hand, if I buy something on Amazon I'm inundated with ads for the product I already bought for a couple of weeks. Privacy is dead.

Honestly, when it looked like the forum was dead, I was really wishing you were on Facebook, which definitely has its uses.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Pianos at least moving them. At the house the action company was at had an upright piano. We got it out of the house and got to the driveway which took some time, them we realized the ramp was too narrow for the piano to go up, the garage too uneven for it to go in there and it would take to long to put it back. So right now it is in the driveway covered up and the auction company have to figure out a solution for it.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Pianos at least moving them. At the house the action company was at had an upright piano. We got it out of the house and got to the driveway which took some time, them we realized the ramp was too narrow for the piano to go up, the garage too uneven for it to go in there and it would take to long to put it back. So right now it is in the driveway covered up and the auction company have to figure out a solution for it.
    I had an uncle whose job was moving pianos, he used a leather strap and would carry an upright on his back. This was some years ago ! . Personally i find any home with no piano is rather empty. There was a craze a few years ago to have competitions with olduprights to break them and pass all the pieces through a car tyre. I watched some.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

We have one at our place it hasn't really played in years.

It could of been worse my BIL fall on the boat on to his rear and wrenched his wrist trying to grab a railing. Or a friend who flipped his car this morning, he walked away but needs a new windshield and drivers side mirror.

I just got an email from the company that handles the small number of stock shares I have from a previous employer.

To paraphrase, ďUm, yeah. We botched the dividend calculation, míkay? Here are the real numbers.Ē

Of course, Iíve already submitted my tax return using the wrong numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    It bothers me that time flew by so fast, but bothers me more that Auto-Tune exists.
    Well, it doesnít bother me that it exists, but it does bother me that in certain musical genres it seems like itís become taboo to make a song without it. Itís just such an annoying effect when used willy billy. On the other hand, the obligatory use of overdrive in heavy metal never bothered me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below