Page 366 of 372 FirstFirst ... 266316356364365366367368 ... LastLast
Results 10,951 to 10,980 of 11153

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Well this is really weird. Now that I'm semi-retired I decided I wanted to donate blood on a routine basis. But when I checked the American Red Cross guidelines I found that I am apparently not allowed to donate because I lived in the UK for more than 3 months between 1980 and 1996 (specifically 1985). The reason? Potential exposure to Mad Cow Disease.

Well...fudgecicles...
    Wow that is news to me. The science we were told in UK was that vCJD pre-existed as did Scrapie in sheep, which is somewhat similar and did not jump species. the spread of mad cow was thought to have come from feeding ground up cows to cows. I read back then that the incidence of vCJD was a constant that despite scare stories has not increased in frequency, which would be thought to be an epidemiological clue to transfer from the food chain. We were told that many countries who also fed cows to cows did not admit to it and mad cows were just written off as having the staggers, another cow disease. The possibility of Scrapie being mad caw disease was later discounted too IIRC. It is a sis/trans mutation in a protein molecule. But then who do you believe in these circumstances? There are other diseases which can potentially transmitted by transfusion.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Wow that is news to me. The science we were told in UK was that vCJD pre-existed as did Scrapie in sheep, which is somewhat similar and did not jump species. the spread of mad cow was thought to have come from feeding ground up cows to cows. I read back then that the incidence of vCJD was a constant that despite scare stories has not increased in frequency, which would be thought to be an epidemiological clue to transfer from the food chain. We were told that many countries who also fed cows to cows did not admit to it and mad cows were just written off as having the staggers, another cow disease. The possibility of Scrapie being mad caw disease was later discounted too IIRC. It is a sis/trans mutation in a protein molecule. But then who do you believe in these circumstances? There are other diseases which can potentially transmitted by transfusion.
    There's no doubt that variant CJD is a separate clinical entity from the sporadic and familial CJD we knew about earlier. The epidemiology is pretty much nailed down that vCJD develops after exposure to meat from cows with Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis, or on exposure to tissue or protein residue from humans infected with vCJD.

You can download a 100KB, 10-page position document from the UK transfusion and transplant authority here, which gives a very nice clinical and epidemiological summary.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    There's no doubt that variant CJD is a separate clinical entity from the sporadic and familial CJD we knew about earlier. The epidemiology is pretty much nailed down that vCJD develops after exposure to meat from cows with Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis, or on exposure to tissue or protein residue from humans infected with vCJD.

You can download a 100KB, 10-page position document from the UK transfusion and transplant authority here, which gives a very nice clinical and epidemiological summary.

Grant Hutchison
    Many thanks for that update.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    By the way, there was a movement a while back -or an attempt to start one- to boycott the Red Cross (the most well known organization for blood collection in the US) for what some considered politically motivated screening questions. Of course, the boycott was targeted at the wrong people. The screening rules are imposed by Federal regulation, not the blood collection folks themselves.
    I understand the frustration of the group in question; those questions haven't been changed in decades and don't currently make sense. Since the tests aren't foolproof, it's good to know if the person donating is likely to have the disease, but the blind assumptions in the questions now are, you'll pardon the expression, overkill. But they're also the questions asked in my regional blood bank, and it definitely isn't the Red Cross!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Well this is really weird. Now that I'm semi-retired I decided I wanted to donate blood on a routine basis. But when I checked the American Red Cross guidelines I found that I am apparently not allowed to donate because I lived in the UK for more than 3 months between 1980 and 1996 (specifically 1985). The reason? Potential exposure to Mad Cow Disease.
    I'm sorry to say that I used to be a very regular blood donor (at least 4 times a years for many years) but I've given up, and it is because all of those questions. And yes, I understand the importance of keeping the blood supply safe. But I've traveled to the UK, I've traveled to areas with malaria (Costa Rica for one), and though I don't match their exact criteria for rejection, it seems every time I would donate they would make a big deal about it. Then the last couple of times I tried to give, they made a big deal because I have very moderately higher blood pressure; one time they rejected me outright, and another time the finally allowed it, but made a big deal about it. I'm try to do a good deed and your going make it as difficult as possible, I don't need the grief.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Then the last couple of times I tried to give, they made a big deal because I have very moderately higher blood pressure; one time they rejected me outright, and another time the finally allowed it, but made a big deal about it. I'm try to do a good deed and your going make it as difficult as possible, I don't need the grief.
    And of course making a deal out of someone's high blood pressure is so effective at getting their blood pressure to go down.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

And of course making a deal out of someone's high blood pressure is so effective at getting their blood pressure to go down.

Grant Hutchison
    Yes, though that wasn't my annoyance. The drug I take does a pretty good job of controlling it. I just don't know why either high blood pressure, or the drug I take for it (Propranolol) should be a reason not to accept my donation. But the biggest annoyance was that every time I tried to give I got a different reception, and I was tired of making the time to give a donation, and then not having them want it.

heat waves mess my sleep patterns up and their not great to begin with.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Yes, though that wasn't my annoyance. The drug I take does a pretty good job of controlling it. I just don't know why either high blood pressure, or the drug I take for it (Propranolol) should be a reason not to accept my donation. But the biggest annoyance was that every time I tried to give I got a different reception, and I was tired of making the time to give a donation, and then not having them want it.
    I am interested to see Propranolol, my colleagues use it in interoception research to accelerate the heart and increase self awareness of the heartbeat for a short time.
    sicut vis videre esto

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I am interested to see Propranolol, my colleagues use it in interoception research to accelerate the heart and increase self awareness of the heartbeat for a short time.
    Propranolol's a beta-adrenergic blocker - it reduces the heart rate and contractility. Interesting if that increases awareness of the heartbeat experimentally - people will complain if they have racing heartbeats, or irregular heartbeats, but I've never encountered anyone who was aware of a very slow heartbeat - they'll complain of faintness first.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Propranolol's a beta-adrenergic blocker - it reduces the heart rate and contractility. Interesting if that increases awareness of the heartbeat experimentally - people will complain if they have racing heartbeats, or irregular heartbeats, but I've never encountered anyone who was aware of a very slow heartbeat - they'll complain of faintness first.
    That is my experience. Before I took it regularly for high BP, I took it as needed for headaches that I got from heat. I was allowed to take as many as needed, but if I took too many, I would get light-headed.

Grant Hutchison
    My mistake in the acceleration/deceleration then, but the awareness is used as a marker. I find it interesting that studies where the beat is monitored and subjects count, they often get it wrong, they experience a pseudo heart beat. My colleagues showed that lidocaine rubbed on the skin of the chest blocked the sensation, revealing an unknown pathway. Gurus who thought they could stop their heart by meditation turned out to be wrong but they managed to lose the sensation. In my area, floating has been shown to significantly increase awareness (including in slow heartbeat) and this is used in interoception research.
    sicut vis videre esto

Sometimes I want to make a reply but somebody may take the wrong way.

And sometimes I wonder if I should write something for my blog but there are people already writing about such things and sometimes I am not 100% sure about what I wrote is correct.

For some reason my clothes are getting looser and looser.

It’s incredibly dusty in the area of Turkey we’re working in. I’m used to getting dusty when I dig, but just walking in town cars will kick up clouds of dust higher than my head that make me cough.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    That would not bug me in the least!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That would not bug me in the least!
    Yeah. He must be shopping elsewhere. All the clothes I buy tend to get smaller on their own accord.

Me too.

But I have chronic anemia. After three years of iron pills I'm still half a million RBC's per CC shy of not being anemic.

My dog and I became anemic at the same time. Only he's better now. He was so bad that when they did his blood count the vets were amazed he walked in on his own power. As the vets put it, "Little Man's rbc count is not compatible with life!"

They have a bracket of numbers indicating the normal range of RBC's per CC and Little Man's count was one *third* the lower number value. (They started with a transfusion right off the bat.)

Folk's keep telling me I should go see his vet.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

And now I remember what I came to post.

Trivial annoyance, mind you.

My complete inability to determine gender from Japanese proper names. Unless it's one of the top ten woman's names in Japan I get lost fast when reading histories and such. I've said this in other forums and gotten replies ranging from well intentioned, near incomprehensible grammar rules to scathing rebukes on my "obvious bigotry/misogamy"!

(Gasp!)

I wonder if Jens or the good Dr. Grant have any advice.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

I really really hate heatwaves, to hot and humid to do anything outdoors so hard to sleep at night.

I really really hate heatwaves, to hot and humid to do anything outdoors so hard to sleep at night.
    Though i agree about the sleepless nights and the humidity, I much prefer the heat waves over the cold spells, especially if its cold and raining!

We're currently having what passes for a heatwave in these parts - hottest temperature ever recorded in Scotland a couple of days ago.
    I'm not enjoying the heat, but mainly I'm not enjoying all the people who are enjoying the heat. All joy to them, but I wish they'd stop trying to engage me in conversation about how wonderful the weather is, when I've just had to change out of a sweaty shirt for the second time and it's still not noon. It miserably curtails all my usual outdoor activities, given that at present I have to dart from shadow to shadow wearing 50+SPF, looking like a photophobic geisha.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I never liked the heat it always seemed like my worst asthma attacks happened during when it got hot. Tomorrow I agreed help set up an auction and work at it so I probably won't have the sleeping problem tomorrow night and most of it we are not directly in the sun for most of the day but still packing 5 small frozen water bottles and pop.

20C/68F is as warm as I ever need to see it. I can always put more clothing on. NOBODY wants me to take more off.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    My complete inability to determine gender from Japanese proper names. Unless it's one of the top ten woman's names in Japan I get lost fast when reading histories and such. I've said this in other forums and gotten replies ranging from well intentioned, near incomprehensible grammar rules to scathing rebukes on my "obvious bigotry/misogamy"!
    Misogyny, presumably?

Look them up. If you're online, at least; presumably if you're actually talking to the person face to face, you can figure out the person's gender (and hopefully, if they use different pronouns, they'll tell you). If you're talking to the person online, or are encountering them in other ways, a quick Google search should tell you at least who has the names in question, which ought to help with the gender. And then if you have to, you can make yourself a list.

As for myself, I'm stuck with the third Independence Day in a row that sees my copy of 1776 in storage.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Orlando’s ”SunPass” operation is really annoying. This is the agency that collects highway tolls electronically.

Years ago I bought one of their sensors to stick on my car’s window so that I didn’t have to carry change and stop at toll booths. Well, so far, so good, mostly.

To use it, you have to give them a credit card number and permit them to draw money off it. They grab $25 whenever your “balance” falls below $10. That’s right: they keep from $10 to $25 of your money at all times just to assure that you will pay when you use their precious roads. (This shouldn’t be legal, even if it is.)

At one point, my card expired (as do they all) and I did not make it a priority to think at once of Sun Pass when I got a new card with a different expiration date. However. Shortly after I got an illiterate form letter stating that as my card had expired, I was now driving with zero balance!, blah blah, and it was antisocial and irresponsible and rude to be driving around in range of their highways with zero balance!, more blah blah, zero balance!, and so on. So I had to log in and give them my new expiration date, at which point my balance was nonzero and my potential sins were forgiven.

In recent years, we might have made one or two trips to and back from Orlando each month. Now that we live in the area, it’s even less frequent. But, by gosh, I have a positive balance. Or rather, they have it.

Some months ago, we were driving back and forth during some minor crisis. As we crossed the demilitarized zone, I noted that the sensor had fallen off the window. (The old model used to beep to alert you that it had registered and one’s virtual pocket had been properly picked. The newer ones are silent.) Well, no big deal, I figured. They provided me with a foil-lined bag in which to place the darn thing in emergencies when tolls are waived, so it probably worked, even lying on the car’s floor. And even if not, surely they’d cut longtime patrons some slack, eh?

Nope. I got a bill from some company that photographs license plates and is authorized to harass non-compliance. I had to pay that toll plus a processing fee. So, when their system fails, they turn you in, to some third-party thugs. (I think that this practice is banned in some states.)

Today I got an email that said you could now check all of your charges immediately, online. Well, not exactly, they’re still loading old data. And, I learned, they got rid of the simple PIN number for logging in! I had one that I couldn’t forget, but now I had to come up with yet another password with at least one capital letter, one lowercase letter, one Chinese letter, one screwy symbol, and so on. As my login name is the 7-digit transponder number, you’d think this wasn’t necessary.

Now, as there isn’t any way to get privileges (say to borrow on my deposit), all that one could do with my cracked password is to donate towards said balance. Shame if that ever happened.

So, a crap system gets worse to serve you better! One reason that I don’t support Orlando’s tourist stuff.

About the heat again it could be worse. The jeep for the last couple of years the jeeps heater couldn't be turned off. So in the spring while dropping off the phone books for eight to 12 hours in a thinkable heat and never got fixed because mom didn't feel the heat as much. What really was bad was when it rained because that meant wearing a rain jacket which kept in the body heat as well.
    I personally like the temperature between about -10 to 25 C.

Almost non-trivial:

The US Postal Service has lost the return receipt for the certified letter informing our landlord that we are moving out.

It is only trivial because we have an email from the landlord mentioning the letter prior to the cut-off date where we forfeit our security deposit due to short notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Almost non-trivial:

The US Postal Service has lost the return receipt for the certified letter informing our landlord that we are moving out.

It is only trivial because we have an email from the landlord mentioning the letter prior to the cut-off date where we forfeit our security deposit due to short notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never fear, it'll get forwarded to your new address five or six years after you move from there.

We're currently having what passes for a heatwave in these parts - hottest temperature ever recorded in Scotland a couple of days ago.
    I'm not enjoying the heat, but mainly I'm not enjoying all the people who are enjoying the heat. All joy to them, but I wish they'd stop trying to engage me in conversation about how wonderful the weather is, when I've just had to change out of a sweaty shirt for the second time and it's still not noon. It miserably curtails all my usual outdoor activities, given that at present I have to dart from shadow to shadow wearing 50+SPF, looking like a photophobic geisha.

Grant Hutchison
    Back in the late nineties I made a trip up to Fort William and spent the weekend there with my (ex now) wife. All my friends were bemused why I would want to go to what they imagined as a "miserable, cold, wet, grey place". I have to say it is the nicest place I have ever been. We were fortunate to have great weather!! The locals were very friendly, the scenery was stunning and the walk up Ben Nevis is one of the best experiences I have ever had. We toured around the area and I visited Loch Lomond, Loch Ness, Glencoe and many other beautiful and interesting areas.
    A few years later I persuaded my friend and his wife to go. I drove and the four of us stayed in a nice wooden lodge just off the shores of Loch Linnhe.

The weather was dreadful! it rained and was cold & windy for the whole weekend. Needless to say my friend and his wife did not enjoy the experience.
    The weather in general doesn't bother me too much but I much prefer it hot than cold!