Page 394 of 399 FirstFirst ... 294344384392393394395396 ... LastLast
Results 11,791 to 11,820 of 11943

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Cold water.
    As Gillianren said, Cold (like ice cold) water. If you can, let the item soak in a bucket or tub of very cold water for several hours. You can then try to wash it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Thank you, everyone! Excellent, will do this.

Also, am covered with new scratches and have no idea which cat made them. Why did I think 10 cats was a good number? Why?
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Hydrogen peroxide can kill two birds...well, maybe not the best saying. Anyway...it can clean blood splatter and disinfect wounds.

Oxyclean is also good for treating protein-based stains.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Oxyclean is also good for treating protein-based stains.
    I'll second that. They make a "spray-on, blot-off version" for things too big to throw in a washing machine; things like a sofa.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Hydrogen peroxide can kill two birds...well, maybe not the best saying. Anyway...it can clean blood splatter and disinfect wounds.
    I've used up a lot of hydrogen peroxide on cat bites.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    tip: surround the stain first so the water soaks inwards ; this prevents the stain moving outwards like in electrophoresis. then attack the stain while the surrounds are wet. If you do get ring watermark stains the opposite applies; wet one edge and drive the stain to the other side , and eventually to the edge opposite and there you can mop up the water with tissues or rags.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Thank you again, everyone, for the help. Now, the hard work.

Forgot how to get bloodstains out of stuff.
    I just call Luigi and Fabrizio and they take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I just call Luigi and Fabrizio and they take care of it.
    For an additional fee, they thrown in cement shoes.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    For an additional fee, they thrown in cement shoes.
    "Leave the gun, take the couch cleaner."
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I've used up a lot of hydrogen peroxide on cat bites.
    I used to do that, but it’s apparently not recommended. Here is a Mayo Clinic note on basic minor wound treatment:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/first-aid...s/art-20056711

Hydrogen peroxide can apparently cause irritation and damage, so a wound might take longer to heal.

Of course, hydrogen peroxide is a lot like Clorox for bleaching stuff, which can be useful for blood stains.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I used to do that, but it’s apparently not recommended. Here is a Mayo Clinic note on basic minor wound treatment:

Hydrogen peroxide can apparently cause irritation and damage, so a wound might take longer to heal.

Of course, hydrogen peroxide is a lot like Clorox for bleaching stuff, which can be useful for blood stains.
    Ooops. Will look this over. Thank you!

Our awesome new gas cooktop. I'm not used to it yet and keep burning stuff.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Our awesome new gas cooktop. I'm not used to it yet and keep burning stuff.
    We have an electric with concentric ring burners. The small burners are hot, and the more rings you turn on around them, the bigger the pan you can heat. But my Mom keeps putting on the outer burners for small pans, and then wonders why the food burns.

Your hand is meat. When cooking on gas, look at the flame and visualise what would happen if you put your hand in the pan. Adjust flame according to mental image.

When I need to cook in someone else's kitchen, I always like it when it's gas. I can just look at the flame and get a good idea of the intensity. On an electric one, I'm clueless what "6" means for this brand.

That's what I did when I first started cooking on a gas range. I looked at the amount of flame, rather than being guided by the numbers on the control dial, and had an intuitive sense of how much damage it might do. I still find myself doing that for the very low settings.

A couple of weeks ago I was doing burgers. The patties were on waxed paper which I would use to pick them up and flip them onto the griddle. Turns out waxed paper burns quite nicely. I don't believe I actually ever set anything on fire with an electric stove.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I was doing burgers. The patties were on waxed paper which I would use to pick them up and flip them onto the griddle. Turns out waxed paper burns quite nicely. I don't believe I actually ever set anything on fire with an electric stove.
    You just haven't tried enough in the past.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

You guys know that was kidding right.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    That's what I did when I first started cooking on a gas range. I looked at the amount of flame, rather than being guided by the numbers on the control dial, and had an intuitive sense of how much damage it might do. I still find myself doing that for the very low settings.
    Wait, some people actually use the numbers on gas stoves?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Left home alone, want to get some gardening supplies but the car is gone. But should get the tiller going first.

Last night, I read a script for an episode of the old radio show Suspense with some online friends. It was a wonderful script--until the last about five minutes, where the police wouldn't do anything to protect the main character because "an unloaded gun isn't a deadly weapon" and "your husband is a charming guy who really loves you," and she ends up realizing how much she loves the husband who's been treating her like dirt and threatening to kill her for the full episode so far.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Is it better to go along with a untruth just to make life easier or to fight the untruth.

Let me clarify there are people who make up stuff about my past but they were not here then but think they know everything about me. The think that I did read as a kid but there are a lot people who know I did. They think alcohol was alright to drink while I was antidepressants but according to the doctor and the drug company said it wasn't. Even one of their friend thought it was bad idea but since they thought they were so arrogant that they knew better than the doctor even tho they did not have any medical training. You see they are so arrogant they think they know everything about everything. They are grown people but they are so childish they will make my life and others miserable until they get their way. So should I have just caved to their version of reality no matter how flawed and childish their reasoning is or should I just keep remembering my life the way it was and not their rewritten version of it.

sorry just needed to vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post

Yeah, when I was a kid parents used to torture us (I mean parents generally) by always putting that stuff on cuts, and to be honest I hated the stinging from the hydrogen peroxide just as much as the wound. Maybe we should all sue our parents for torture!
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    So should I have just caved to their version of reality no matter how flawed and childish their reasoning is or should I just keep remembering my life the way it was and not their rewritten version of it.
    In general, my advice if lied about:

1. Tell the truth. Tell everyone the truth.
    2. If you aren't believed, pick your battles. Walk away from the conversation if you can. Don't make it a major struggle unless it affects your present life, but if it does, fight like Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Wait, some people actually use the numbers on gas stoves?
    Are we sliding towards the conclusion that gas stoves are worse for your back than electric ones? And, in extension, that someone who uses a gas stove properly, ie by bending down and looking at the flame underneath the pan, can be called a firebender?

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    In general, my advice if lied about:

1. Tell the truth. Tell everyone the truth.
    2. If you aren't believed, pick your battles. Walk away from the conversation if you can. Don't make it a major struggle unless it affects your present life, but if it does, fight like Hell.
    This is the type of person who I even changed my sleep schedule so that I would do work at night when they weren't around but then they would start rumors about going out to clubs or they would find a way to go thru my computer history to find websites that should probably not have been on, just to blackmail me into silence.

In putting tomato cages in my Mom's garden, I somehow broke one of the young tomato plants. Snapped the stem right in half.