Page 336 of 381 FirstFirst ... 236286326334335336337338346 ... LastLast
Results 10,051 to 10,080 of 11428

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

  1. #10051
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    48,144
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    It amazes me how un thoughtful & un courteous people can be. When I drive on the roads my aim is to make my journey as safe, smooth and quickly as possible, in that order. With this in mind I appreciate that other folk want to do the same, (though not necessarily in the same order) so I try to be accommodating of other road users, sometimes at my own inconvenience. I just think people should be more considerate to others, it would make life a lot easier and less stressful.
    I completely agree, except that it doesn't amaze me when people are neither courteous nor thoughtful.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  2. #10052
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Unsolicited advice:

    For your own sake, do not drive on Houston highways.
    Probably don't go sledding on them, either.

    I've passed through amusement into being a little bugged that the Wikipedia "In The News" picture has been the same darts championship for what seems like more than a week now.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  3. #10053
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,498
    We went to three different stores yesterday because they all have different things cheap enough to make them worth it. At the last, what we needed most was formula and gas. Guess what we forgot.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  4. #10054
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    We went to three different stores yesterday because they all have different things cheap enough to make them worth it. At the last, what we needed most was formula and gas. Guess what we forgot.
    I do that all the dang time.

    In other news, I've been having a bad day and I HATE STUPID COMPUTERS!!!

    We have two, a newer Dell laptop with W10 and an older Dell laptop with W7. A couple of weeks ago the older one decided it was no longer on speaking terms with the printer. We previously had problems with the other one thinking the printer was offline when it wasn't, and since that one has been working lately, I didn't want to do anything with the older one to jeopardize it.
    This morning I went to print something from the bank where we are applying for a loan and oops, "printer offline". Now we're down to none. I gave that up for a while and came in to use the old one in the office for web surfing. Suddenly everything was stuck in scrolling-down mode. I figured it was the ancient wireless keyboard, which has just been having other issues such as the 2 and 3 keys not working. I disconnected it. No change. Uh-Oh! Pounded on the laptop's arrow keys for a moment and it seemed to straighten out, but then the mouse started going nuts. I mouse left-handed, so the right button is the primary click. It didn't work. Instead, it seemed to want to download whatever I clicked on. Turned the mouse off and tried the touchpad. Same thing. UH-OH! Laptop may be toast. I told it to shut down, only to have it spend more than an hour installing updates.

    Once it was off, I turned it back on. Both issues were back. I shut it back down and went to eat lunch in front of the newer one. That's less than optimal for me as I can't avoid the Lifetime movie my wife is watching on the TeeVee.

    So I came in to give it one more try. I disconnected everything external: Keyboard, Mouse, Thumb Drive, USB extender, external monitor, ethernet.

    Fired it up and....it seems to be just fine now. Guess I'll try doing the externals again one at a time. Wireless mouse is working.

    ETA: Forgot to mention that the last time I fired it up, all the stuff in the printer queue inexplicably printed.

    Let's try the monitor....ok, seems to be working.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2018-Jan-10 at 08:42 PM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  5. #10055
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,739
    Ok, let's try the keyboard. Working. How about the two key. Still not working. Ok, at least I'm back to where I was yesterday.

    Hmm, I may have just figured something out. A couple of weeks ago my internet was dodgy and I connected an ethernet cable to the router to see if that helped. Now that I think of it, that's about when the printer stopped working. When I rebooted after disconnecting the cable, I had to manually turn the WiFi back on. That's when everything printed. I don't understand, but at least things are ok at the moment.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  6. #10056
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,230
    It may have taken the Ethernet cable being plugged in as a cue to completely disconnect wifi.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  7. #10057
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I completely agree, except that it doesn't amaze me when people are neither courteous nor thoughtful.
    Yes I agree, "amazes" was a poor choice of word.

  8. #10058
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    It may have taken the Ethernet cable being plugged in as a cue to completely disconnect wifi.
    Certainly the WiFi was off. I was suspecting that the printer had been directly connected to the computer wifi without going through the router but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm now thinking the pending huge upgrade may have had something to do with the issues. We'll see how it does today.

    You know what bugs me most about the whole incident? That I let it ruin my entire day. Sometimes it seems like it doesn't take much for that to happen.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  9. #10059
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    29,918
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    It amazes me how un thoughtful & un courteous people can be. When I drive on the roads my aim is to make my journey as safe, smooth and quickly as possible, in that order. With this in mind I appreciate that other folk want to do the same, (though not necessarily in the same order) so I try to be accommodating of other road users, sometimes at my own inconvenience. I just think people should be more considerate to others, it would make life a lot easier and less stressful.
    Earlier today I came to what is basically an unmarked intersection in a post office parking lot (no stop or yield signs). There was another car slowly approaching after rounding a turn, but I was well ahead, so I went on through. The driver honked at me - I mean seriously honked, not a tap, then when she drove past me as I was parking gave me the finger. I figure I slowed her down by maybe two seconds, so I don't know what her problem was.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

  10. #10060
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,497
    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Earlier today I came to what is basically an unmarked intersection in a post office parking lot (no stop or yield signs). There was another car slowly approaching after rounding a turn, but I was well ahead, so I went on through. The driver honked at me - I mean seriously honked, not a tap, then when she drove past me as I was parking gave me the finger. I figure I slowed her down by maybe two seconds, so I don't know what her problem was.
    You obviously ruined her day! I'm sure she told one of her friends all about how "This inconsiderate idiot in the parking lot..." later that day

    I had a fella honk at me only this morning after he cut across me at a roundabout intersection. He must have felt I was in the wrong lane even though my lane was clearly marked for "straight on" which I proceeded to do so. I just smiled to myself and continued on with my journey. A few years back I would have been on his tail honking back, yelling and gesturing obscenities for his idiocy. I've now realised it made me just as bad and was not good for my health.

  11. #10061
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,498
    It's quarter to six in the morning. I'm awake and not likely to be able to get back to sleep.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  12. #10062
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,677
    Our cat can awaken me within a minute of when the alarm clock is supposed to sound. Either his internal timing is perfect, or there must be something about the clock that only he can sense.

  13. #10063
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,963
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    I had a fella honk at me only this morning after he cut across me at a roundabout intersection. He must have felt I was in the wrong lane even though my lane was clearly marked for "straight on" which I proceeded to do so. I just smiled to myself and continued on with my journey. A few years back I would have been on his tail honking back, yelling and gesturing obscenities for his idiocy. I've now realised it made me just as bad and was not good for my health.
    Every summer, I ferry around a group of friends who seem unable to deal calmly with the behaviour of other road users.
    A couple of years ago, I was forced off the verge of a single-track road in the Highlands by the inconsiderate behaviour of an oncoming driver, who then favoured me with a gesture as he went past. I just pulled back on to the road and carried on driving, but was distracted for the next couple of minutes by the outraged shouting from my passengers, directed at the driver who was now rapidly receding behind us. I found that while I was unperturbed by the behaviour of the driver, I was distressed by the behaviour of my passengers.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  14. #10064
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,739
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Our cat can awaken me within a minute of when the alarm clock is supposed to sound. Either his internal timing is perfect, or there must be something about the clock that only he can sense.
    I can remember a time when I arrived late to work and had to explain that the alarm cat had failed to awaken me.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  15. #10065
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,521
    The sleet on one basement window sounds like a fire. I've check it three times, it is not on fire. I've never heard that noise before in this house. Has to be weird wind direction or something.
    Solfe

  16. #10066
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Our cat can awaken me within a minute of when the alarm clock is supposed to sound. Either his internal timing is perfect, or there must be something about the clock that only he can sense.
    I had an electric clock as a kid that would give a soft click one minute before the alarm went off. Because the alarm was so unpleasant, I trained myself to wake up to the click.

  17. #10067
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,677
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    I had an electric clock as a kid that would give a soft click one minute before the alarm went off. Because the alarm was so unpleasant, I trained myself to wake up to the click.
    I believe that most mechanical alarm clocks of the past gave off some sort of signal as they approached the alarm-set time. Probably unintentional, but certainly very subtle, just some change in the mechanism that a sleeper could pick up on. I regularly got up just before the alarm. I'd think that the electrically powered clocks would be less likely to do this, though.

  18. #10068
    I use to use a electric clock radio/alarm but it stop being able to wake me. I night I had this dream where the phone rang and all I heard thru the phone was music and I slammed the phone down. The next morning I noticed the alarm clock on the floor, in one piece, I figured my brain found a way around the device.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Jan-13 at 07:46 AM.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  19. #10069
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,497
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Every summer, I ferry around a group of friends who seem unable to deal calmly with the behaviour of other road users.
    A couple of years ago, I was forced off the verge of a single-track road in the Highlands by the inconsiderate behaviour of an oncoming driver, who then favoured me with a gesture as he went past. I just pulled back on to the road and carried on driving, but was distracted for the next couple of minutes by the outraged shouting from my passengers, directed at the driver who was now rapidly receding behind us. I found that while I was unperturbed by the behaviour of the driver, I was distressed by the behaviour of my passengers.

    Grant Hutchison
    I just think I'm a calmer person these days. I few years back I was going through some stressful life situations and was very unhappy in general. The slightest little thing would easily flare me up into an outrage. Maybe road rage reflects the inner turmoil a person is feeling at the time, perhaps without them fulling realizing it? I certainly believe for me personally this was true .

  20. #10070
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,521
    Sometimes ideas pop into my head, and I really don't have the skill set to deal with them. For instance, it occurred to me that some of the songs from Hamilton are reminiscent of Grease soundtrack. On listening to both albums, I can't see the connection other than high energy fun and creativity. But then again, I am not particular well versed in music, performance and singing. Maybe they are a like or not. I can't evaluate the idea and that bugs me.
    Solfe

  21. #10071
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,633
    Left hand, meet right hand.

    We needed to get Mrs Extravoice's iPhone repaired, so yesterday, she called the Apple store. It turns out that her call was automatically forwarded to a central service department.
    They confirmed the issue with the phone, and said that the fix was relatively simple, and could be done in-store. They also said that the nearest store didn't take appointments, but she could just walk in.

    This morning, we arrived at the store, only to find it very crowded due to Apple's recent battery replacement announcement. While waiting in the extremely long line, we were met by a pre-screener who asked if we had an appointment.
    We informed him that the service folks said they don't take appointments. He insisted we were mistaken, and said that we would have to make an appointment. He "facilitated" this by tapping on his tablet, and then walking away. The tablet triggered a near instantaneous call to my phone from the central service department...which immediately put us on hold. At this point, we decided to stay in line while holding.

    When someone finally fielded the call (about 15 minutes later), they told us that they could not schedule an appointment because the store's calendar was full for the next 7 days - and that's the limit. We could schedule in person at the local store, though. Coincidentally, we just happened to be standing in the store!

    So, we waited in line until it was our turn, and explained the situation. The clerk said that we didn't need an appointment, and they could do the repair today. We picked-up the (hopefully) repaired phone three hours later, but I still have a headache.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  22. #10072
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Left hand, meet right hand.

    We needed to get Mrs Extravoice's iPhone repaired, so yesterday, she called the Apple store. It turns out that her call was automatically forwarded to a central service department.
    They confirmed the issue with the phone, and said that the fix was relatively simple, and could be done in-store. They also said that the nearest store didn't take appointments, but she could just walk in.

    This morning, we arrived at the store, only to find it very crowded due to Apple's recent battery replacement announcement. While waiting in the extremely long line, we were met by a pre-screener who asked if we had an appointment.
    We informed him that the service folks said they don't take appointments. He insisted we were mistaken, and said that we would have to make an appointment. He "facilitated" this by tapping on his tablet, and then walking away. The tablet triggered a near instantaneous call to my phone from the central service department...which immediately put us on hold. At this point, we decided to stay in line while holding.

    When someone finally fielded the call (about 15 minutes later), they told us that they could not schedule an appointment because the store's calendar was full for the next 7 days - and that's the limit. We could schedule in person at the local store, though. Coincidentally, we just happened to be standing in the store!

    So, we waited in line until it was our turn, and explained the situation. The clerk said that we didn't need an appointment, and they could do the repair today. We picked-up the (hopefully) repaired phone three hours later, but I still have a headache.
    I used to be a massive Apple fan. Back in the 1990s, I bought a computer with monitor, printer, fax, modem, basically everything all in one box. The fax/modem was missing and this wasn't discovered until Christmas eve. I called and they informed me that there was no way to get the device before the middle of January. I agreed, it is a crazy time to ship and it seemed like a reasonable response. They were very apologetic, but stuck for it.

    Christmas morning came and we were all playing with the computer, sans "Information Super Highway" as it was called back then. No one in my house seemed to know about it, so it wasn't a big deal. Around 11 am, the doorbell rang and an Apple employee was standing there with our modem. They had been in the call center the night before and happened to be flying into Buffalo so they brought it to my house. That wins loyalty.

    The loyalty ended when I took a job with Apple as one of their geniuses or something. They weren't real clear on job titles. About 30 minutes into my first 8 hour training shift, I realized no training was forthcoming. It was terrible. I told the manager I made a mistake and left before the first hour was up. Never asked to be paid for that few minutes, which was a good thing because they didn't offer.

    It was one of the strangest experiences I have ever had. I was paired up with a guy chugging can after can of Red Bull and doing Tia Chi at warp nine. He had drunk an entire four pack in the short time I was there and was working on another box of the stuff as I left. The another person working there was complaining that we aren't supposed to drink or eat on the floor. For a whole 15 minute period, I was talking to a guy that I thought was an employee but wasn't. He had a lanyard, iphone, t shirt and everything but was just looking, I guess.

    I still like Apple products, but...
    Solfe

  23. #10073
    My first computer was suppose to come with a hard drive but didn't. Had to drive over an hour in December to get it put in.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  24. #10074
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,013
    This was a Letter to the Editor in the Bermuda Royal Gazette today:

    Dear Sir,

    I have just returned from spending Christmas in California and, as I usually do when I travel, I take the Bermuda VIP cards and give them to as many people as possible, hoping they will visit our beautiful island.

    But as usual I get the same response: “Oh, I would love to go to Bermuda, but what about the Bermuda Triangle? I couldn’t go there; something might happen.”

    I have tried unsuccessfully to explain, but to no avail. I gathered from several people that recently on TV there was another programme about the Bermuda Triangle and, needless to say, the facts are foremost in their minds again.
    It is 2018 and they just hosted the freakin' America's Cup and had an ad campaign all over the bus shelters and cab tops here in New York but people are still afraid to travel to Bermuda because of an urban legend from the 60s that was disproven point-by-point in 1975. Ugh!

  25. #10075
    Welcome to Earth, third rock from the sun.
    https://youtu.be/vlAa0IGCXCw
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  26. #10076
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,739
    We are watching PBR bull riding. One of my favorite riders just kept a low score, instead of accepting a reride, then limped out of the arena. "He's just getting too old for this", I said.
    He's 30 years younger than me.
    What really bugs me is that I seem to be getting obsessed with my age.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  27. #10077
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,633
    My mom used to say, ďIt isnít the age that counts, itís the mileage.Ē


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  28. #10078
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    48,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Left hand, meet right hand.
    I had a somewhat similar experience with Hertz (car rental company) recently. I am on their rewards program and my profile has both my work and my personal credit card. I recently booked a car for a business trip, but even though it was booked through my work travel website, they put it on my personal card.

    I tried changing it on-line, in advance of the trip, but couldn't figure out a way to do so. So, when I went to get the car, I stopped at the counter and asked them to change it. The lady said you should change it at the gate (exiting the facility).

    I asked at the gate, and the guy said I should change it when I return the car.

    When I returned the car, the lady that met me at the car with her wireless terminal said I had to do it at the counter.

    When I got back to the counter they changed it to my work credit card, which was good, because otherwise I would be in jail awaiting trial for murder.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  29. #10079
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    48,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    My mom used to say, “It isn’t the age that counts, it’s the mileage.”


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  30. #10080
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,642
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    It amazes me how un thoughtful & un courteous people can be. When I drive on the roads my aim is to make my journey as safe, smooth and quickly as possible, in that order. With this in mind I appreciate that other folk want to do the same, (though not necessarily in the same order) so I try to be accommodating of other road users, sometimes at my own inconvenience. I just think people should be more considerate to others, it would make life a lot easier and less stressful.
    Typically, I assume people are slowing traffic intentionally, because they are just horrible people with control issues, then I argue myself down and conclude that they are probably just clueless to traffic around them. Last Friday, I was stuck behind a guy that would adjust his speed to stay half a car ahead of the car in the right lane, no faster or slower. I swear it looked like he was making sure no one would pass him. The speed limit was 45 and no one exceeded. We approached a light where typically, the people in the right lane go into the right turning lane because beyond the light, the two lanes merge. When the right lane cleared out, I moved into the right lane and ended up first, next to the guy who was doing the rolling road block. Since he wasn't in a hurry, I didn't think passing him would be a problem. The light turns green and this guy is matching my acceleration. At our max speed, we were doing more than 70 in a 45, so this guy was determined not to let me pass. My crappy car has no pickup and his engine was screaming as well, so we were pretty much at a stalemate--one of us was going to have to drop back. My saving grace was the semi that was up the road, doing a u-turn where the lanes merge. As we approached, we both slowed but as the back of the truck cleared the right lane first, I went around the truck and he got stuck behind me. I slowed back down to almost the speed limit (no one really does the speed limit on that stretch), and I end up putting some serious distance between us. A little bit down the road, I happened to glance in my rear view and notice he is way back, with a line of cars piling up behind him, again, holding up traffic. He clearly wasn't afraid or reluctant to speed when I was trying to pass him so I am fairly certain to him, this was all about control.

Similar Threads

  1. Trivial coincidences from everyday life.
    By Buttercup in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 2012-Nov-02, 09:08 PM
  2. Trivial Relief:
    By Moose in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2006-Jul-19, 01:20 PM
  3. Bad Astronomy in Trivial Pursuit, Genus 5 Edition
    By tracer in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 2005-May-12, 01:52 PM
  4. Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...
    By Brady Yoon in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-29, 01:44 PM
  5. Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...
    By Brady Yoon in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-28, 01:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •