Page 355 of 382 FirstFirst ... 255305345353354355356357365 ... LastLast
Results 10,621 to 10,650 of 11432

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

My other forum, ISF, is broken, but apparently just for me. Other people seem to be making new posts. This is not altogether a bad thing since I spend way too much time on there; but it is frustrating.

In case anyone is interested, I keep getting this message:
    You have empty profile fields that are required to be filled in. Please visit your profile page to update these fields.
    I've attempted to do that but it doesn't work, for instance clicking on the email field gets me a message that I've entered an invalid birthdate.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

that I did not finish tonight got down to the last 60 or so.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    that I did not finish tonight got down to the last 60 or so.
    Sometimes the lack of context just makes these posts works of art.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Tech companies trying to clothe themselves in some high moral purpose. Facebook's public stance that merely "connecting people" is some sort of self-evident benefit to the world (in the teeth of the evidence) for instance. And I recently read an interview with Apple's CEO in which he seemed to imagine that Apple products were "empowering" (why do I feel so tooth-grindingly frustrated when trying to deal with them, then?). He rather snippily asked the interviewer when was the last time he had seen anyone being empowered by a Microsoft product. That would be Windows XP, I think, or perhaps Windows 7 ... whereas I have to go all the way back to the Apple II Plus (sorry, Apple ][+) before I got any sense of empowerment from Apple.
    Quit pretending that you are a Force For Good, guys, and realize that you are fundamentally tool-makers.

Grant Hutchison
    Sort of relevant "Onion" video.

Took my dog out for a walk at a park about 15 minutes drive from home. After a nice hours walk I got back to the car to find I had dropped my keys somewhere on the walk. I then had to get my wife to bring the spare keys and take the dog home while I retraced my steps. After about 2 hours of searching I had to give them up as a lost cause. It will not be terribly expensive to replace everything and get the new key "flashed" but it is still annoying as I had forgotten to put the keys in my safe button-down shirt pocket and had instead put them in the shallow pocket of my jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Took my dog out for a walk at a park about 15 minutes drive from home. After a nice hours walk I got back to the car to find I had dropped my keys somewhere on the walk. I then had to get my wife to bring the spare keys and take the dog home while I retraced my steps. After about 2 hours of searching I had to give them up as a lost cause. It will not be terribly expensive to replace everything and get the new key "flashed" but it is still annoying as I had forgotten to put the keys in my safe button-down shirt pocket and had instead put them in the shallow pocket of my jumper.
    Sorry to hear that and you have my sympathies. Another one similar to this is, once I stepped out of my car and drop my keys in the process. I'd parked next to a road drain right below the driver's door on my car... yes you know what happened!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    Sorry to hear that and you have my sympathies. Another one similar to this is, once I stepped out of my car and drop my keys in the process. I'd parked next to a road drain right below the driver's door on my car... yes you know what happened!
    For some reason I have always had a fear of doing exactly that. I should have realised that my stupidity would ensure I didn't even need a drain to lose them.

A couple years ago here, a guy was found dead, drowned, face down in a drain on a street.

There was significant alcohol in his blood.

They found his keys at the bottom of the drain.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    A couple years ago here, a guy was found dead, drowned, face down in a drain on a street.

There was significant alcohol in his blood.

They found his keys at the bottom of the drain.
    That's a tragic story.

Fortunately I had my tool box in the car where I keep a telescopic rod (like the old car aerials) with a strong magnet on the end, so I managed to fish my keys out.

I recently took some wood down to our local recycling centre, where you can drive up and chuck stuff into the appropriate skip (for North American readers - large metal container designed to be lifted on and off a truck). Turned off the engine, stepped out of the car, reached into the back seat for the bundle of wood pieces, threw ... and noted my car key describing a beautiful arc along with the wood. Wasn't even aware I'd kept it in my hand after turning off the engine.
    And a guy loading stuff into a neighbouring skip called across to me, "I've done that!"

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I recently took some wood down to our local recycling centre, where you can drive up and chuck stuff into the appropriate skip (for North American readers - large metal container designed to be lifted on and off a truck). Turned off the engine, stepped out of the car, reached into the back seat for the bundle of wood pieces, threw ... and noted my car key describing a beautiful arc along with the wood. Wasn't even aware I'd kept it in my hand after turning off the engine.
    And a guy loading stuff into a neighbouring skip called across to me, "I've done that!"

Grant Hutchison
    Yes very comical after the event, very worrying at the time it happens.

I once accidentally flushed my phone down the toilet. It fell out of my jacket pocket just as I pressed the flush handle, I watched it disappear down the pan. I went out side pulled up a couple of the nearest manhole covers to the sewer drains. My friend stood over the furthest manhole with a piece of timber in the pipe while I used some rods, a hose and continually flushing the toilet to try and flush the drains through. Just over an hour later the phone appeared, it was soaked through but it cleaned up, dried out and worked just fine afterwards.

Clean-up and paper work time.

Now I have over a thousand plastic bags.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Now I have over a thousand plastic bags.
    So it's you!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/103815...place-on-earth

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My other forum, ISF, is broken, but apparently just for me. Other people seem to be making new posts. This is not altogether a bad thing since I spend way too much time on there; but it is frustrating.

In case anyone is interested, I keep getting this message:

I've attempted to do that but it doesn't work, for instance clicking on the email field gets me a message that I've entered an invalid birthdate.
    Got it fixed. Don't know why it occurred in the first place, but the failure to be able to reenter the data was a combination of unintuitive interface and PEBSAK.

If there is no mailbox I leave the phone books wrapped in a plastic bag on the side of driveway or near the door. I try to keep them from flying away but last Saturday was really windy and as I was putting the bag around a phone book it flew off. It took so fast and went so high I could not catch it. The reason they don't come pre-bagged is because some people did not want the extra plastic.

Here is a photo of a tree that did not fair that well last weekend.
    https://twitter.com/BackroadAstro/st...76626680614918

At least you probably aren't like the guy that delivered the phone books in our old neighborhood some years ago. Took a stack of books wrapped in plastic (not individually, just the stack) and dumped them by the mailboxes. First person who wanted one ripped the plastic open and took one. Then it rained, resulting in a stack of soggy pulp. I called TPC. (The Phone Company). They weren't pleased.

ETA: Does anyone here actually use phone books any more? About the only time I touch one is to put the new one where the old one was and toss the old in the recycling.

In recent years, we kept all the delivered phone books on a shelf in the kitchen, but never used them, except one by one to mop up a messy spill.
    Since we moved, we don't receive any.

I don't know how many people use them. I dropped one off at one of my ole teachers and he gave a big thumbs up when he got his. A lot of businesses get more than one so would imagine they do. My routes change a bit every year and since the companies get so many that is fewer to everyone else.

Plus they have me a gps tracker which is on its way with the other phone book stuff back to the company

Plus they have me a gps tracker which is on its way with the other phone book stuff back to the company. They tell me stories of people who have dumped their entire lot of books in the middle of the woods.

I tried shaving my left leg and now it's bleeding in two places. Now I'm reminded why I don't normally shave my legs.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    In recent years, we kept all the delivered phone books on a shelf in the kitchen, but never used them, except one by one to mop up a messy spill.
    Since we moved, we don't receive any.
    I once, on a late night, went around my workplace counting phone books used as monitor stands. Lots. About 90 on my floor alone.

(
    People also used reams of paper, which someone in management objected to, so everybody had to get "proper" monitor stands.

... which cost more than the two reams of paper people were using.

(
    And which I figured (remembering a quote from Albert Speer on spare parts in factories) actually might come in handy one day as a "cache" if there was ever a paper shortage.
    )
    )

... Does anyone here actually use phone books any more? ...
    Some clever business people here paid something like a billion dollars for the "yellow pages". That's the business listings phone book.

... at about the same time everybody started using the internet to find everything.

I do sometimes wonder where "value" goes. Is that billion behind a couch somewhere?

ETA: Does anyone here actually use phone books any more? About the only time I touch one is to put the new one where the old one was and toss the old in the recycling.
    I have not used one in many years. We also only seem to get one small one a year now.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Being told at the last minute something is happening like my niece playing in rugby game at he high school this afternoon.

People also used reams of paper...And which I figured (remembering a quote from Albert Speer on spare parts in factories) actually might come in handy one day as a "cache" if there was ever a paper shortage.
    I used a ream of paper for a monitor stand at a previous employer. I joked that its secondary purpose was for printing resumes if layoffs appeared imminent.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

One guy in a nearby office used two phone books to prop his computer monitor to a convenient height.

When they delivered new ones, we suggest he swap out his phone books so as to have current ones holding it up.

We weren't given the phone books at the call center I worked at mostly because we were just to take in coming calls. I used Some book called Death from the skies and a couple more to prop up my monitor. A friend who owns a used car dealership said they use them once and a while around the office and uses his cell phone at home. The way I see it is that they pat me to go out drop them off and I get to see people I haven't seen in years with a lot of nice views.
    Since last Saturday my cell phone hasn't got any signal for some reason, either I did something or mom did something because there were messages saying I was roaming outside my area.