Page 309 of 319 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311 ... LastLast
Results 9,241 to 9,270 of 9568

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Interestingly, while Americans would never say "at university", "in college" is absolutely standard.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    A pedantic friend of mine used to correct that phrase: "You were graduated."

My response was something like "'They done graduated on me' is more like it."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I have conceded "were graduated," but I'm still holding the line for that "from"--you didn't "graduate college," you "graduated from college."
    Eh. Just one of the many tells that I don't speak English fluently. Io laureavo would go to "I have graduated" or "I graduated." [Edit] I guess "Sono stato laureato" is ok, but it doesn't feel right to me. "I have graduated", but not "have been graduated". Still just me acting, no one else. I have the vocab of like a 5 year old. [close edit]

Technically, I don't have a degree in hand, so it was just commencement. Wrong for a different reason.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2017-May-15 at 02:17 AM.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Stalkers... I've had a few and they annoy me. I actually have some pretty good defensive moves, but it is annoying.

Today, I wanted to avoid contact with my sister-in-law and her kids, so I didn't go on Facebook. My main problem with her is she had a horrible divorce, her kids behave badly and on Mother's Day, she would crush my groove when it came to me enjoying my time with my wife, the mother of my children. My wife concurred with my plan, which is very important. If not, I would suck it up and take it.

Later in the day, her son contacts my son via text and says "We are on our way to theme park to meet you." I told my son not to answer. I took his picture and posted it to Facebook and tagged him with the caption "Rained out at the park, going to go dry off". My son immediately gets a text from the child asking "Where are you going?". I told him not to answer again. I waited 30 minutes, which is about half the time it takes to drive to the park from my sister-in-law's house. I downloaded a picture from my Google account, checked into the place that matched the image's geodata and posted it to Facebook with the caption: "Our favorite place". We continued on our day at the park.

My wife gets a text an hour or so later asking, "Where are you? We are here". "Here" was downtown Buffalo, about 40 miles away.

Apparently, one of my kids checked in at the park on Facebook. My kids generally are not privy family-hostile conversations between me and my wife, however, they are savvy enough to understand what I did and why. My son was slightly surprised that I waited 30 minutes so that they were 15 minutes from the park before I posted a picture of downtown. I told him it was pure malice on my part and he should only do things like that if he felt threatened.

Very annoying.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

I'm not sure I know anyone who'd say "I was graduated," but a series of language columns I read I believe advocated for it; I'd have to look it up. I know a lot of people who say "graduated college" (or, more frequently, high school?), though.

Solfe, I consider it very rude of your sister-in-law to take it for granted that she and her kids are part of your plans. "We'll just go where you go" is pushy and inappropriate. If you wanted them included in your plans, you would have made arrangements with them in advance!

Yesterday, I received a Mothers' Day message from someone who was my friend for years but who basically dropped out of my life about the time I got pregnant with Simon. Doubly frustrating because she was one of the first people I approached to be a godmother. One of the godmothers he has, he has because this other woman ghosted me. And the message I got is the short sentence, "I miss you." Which, um, not my fault?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

According to new commercials,. McDonalds' is now hawking some special gourmet sandwiches (with alternative mustard and exotic lettuce and such).

These are the people who can no longer put together a cheap enough staff to get you a #3 order off the menu within twenty minutes without something being too cold, too salty or missing ... and they want to expand the offerings. Even if they get the new stuff mostly correct, the regular menu just has to get even worse.

According to new commercials,. McDonalds' is now hawking some special gourmet sandwiches (with alternative mustard and exotic lettuce and such).

These are the people who can no longer put together a cheap enough staff to get you a #3 order off the menu within twenty minutes without something being too cold, too salty or missing ... and they want to expand the offerings. Even if they get the new stuff mostly correct, the regular menu just has to get even worse.
    Yet another reason not to eat there.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Yikes. Our South Island is littered with bridges like that (one lane, with a few passing bays along them, if long). Not even covered bridges; open to the air (open to view). And people still have trouble on them.
    The most memorable road like that which I've actually driven is the Road to Hana in Hawaii.

The Hāna Highway is a 64.4-mile (103.6 km) long stretch of Hawaii Routes 36 and 360 which connects Kahului with the town of Hāna in east Maui. On the east after Kalepa Bridge, the highway continues to Kīpahulu as Hawaii Route 31 (the Piilani Highway). Although Hāna is only about 52 miles (84 km) from Kahului, it takes about 2.5 hours to drive when no stops are made as the highway is very winding and narrow and passes over 59 bridges, 46 of which are only one lane wide.[5] There are approximately 620 curves along Route 360 from just east of Kahului to Hāna, virtually all of it through lush, tropical rainforest.
    My main memory of it is that after a day of driving there and back (we made a lot of stops along the way) that my shoulders hurt from so much work turning the wheels back and forth. Well, that, and it is a beautiful drive.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

A pedantic friend of mine used to correct that phrase: "You were graduated."

My response was something like "'They done graduated on me' is more like it."
    Is this a US thing? I have never heard it used transitively before. It sounds weird to me.

But apparently, both are fine: https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...-was-graduated

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Is this a US thing? I have never heard it used transitively before. It sounds weird to me.
    I think it's been a US thing - it's invisible in my various British style guides. I'm sure the Fowler brothers would have had something to say on the topic, one way or another, if it had been at all current or vexatious in British English.

Grant Hutchison

Guy on the local news this morning doing a story about yesterday's SpaceX launch, in which he referred to it as an "aircraft". Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Guy on the local news this morning doing a story about yesterday's SpaceX launch, in which he referred to it as an "aircraft". Twice.
    I guess all space vehicles that travel through the atmosphere exposed are "aerospace craft", but I usually only see that term applied to designs like the space shuttle.

I gotta stop spending $$$ and here comes something else I want. So I hinted to sister about my upcoming birthday. So far no response.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Local (apparently clueless) TV reporters calling Pippa Middleton's upcoming wedding "a royal wedding."
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Vaughn Andrews, the jacket designer for Benford & Zebrowski's science and SF collection Skylife (2000). Cover here.
    He took Chesley Bonestell's painting "Spherical Space Station Under Construction In Earth Orbit", with its recognizable depiction of the eastern coast of the USA and the Great Lakes, rotated it through ninety degrees and flipped it to a mirror image for the cover art.
    Did he think we wouldn't notice? Did he notice?

Grant Hutchison

If they gave a thought to at all to respecting the work, I suppose they just thought it much less important than text layout.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    If they gave a thought to at all to respecting the work, I suppose they just thought it much less important than text layout.
    And then there's whoever thought Bonestell's name was "Chelsea" in the filename of the original picture.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Vaughn Andrews, the jacket designer for Benford & Zebrowski's science and SF collection Skylife (2000). Cover here.
    He took Chesley Bonestell's painting "Spherical Space Station Under Construction In Earth Orbit", with its recognizable depiction of the eastern coast of the USA and the Great Lakes, rotated it through ninety degrees and flipped it to a mirror image for the cover art.
    Did he think we wouldn't notice? Did he notice?

Grant Hutchison
    Did they credit Bonestell?

Yes, they credited Bonestell.
    Graphics designers flipping easily recognizable geographical images just annoys me. My friend Brian (a graphics designer) once told me it annoyed most graphics designers, too, because it made them look stupid.

Grant Hutchison

And then there's whoever thought Bonestell's name was "Chelsea" in the filename of the original picture.
    Yeah, that's an odd one. The original context is quite an homage to Bonestell, but all the images seem to be filed with the same "chelsea" name.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Yes, they credited Bonestell.
    Graphics designers flipping easily recognizable geographical images just annoys me. My friend Brian (a graphics designer) once told me it annoyed most graphics designers, too, because it made them look stupid.

Grant Hutchison
    Many years ago I took photos for a textbook written by my cousin. One of the photos was of Seattle's "Ramps to Nowhere", a set of freeway ramps built for a project that was subsequently cancelled and sat there for many years connected to nothing. The publishers chose to use that one for the cover -- and then cropped it so you couldn't see the ramps didn't connect, destroying the whole point.

The example that most exercised my friend Brian (and which led to our discussion on the topic of geographical reversals) was a book about the Apollo program that featured a photograph of the LM acent module seen from the CM. The designer had flipped it left-to-right, reversing the classic LM asymmetry in a way that simply screamed "WRONG!" at anyone who had any interest in Apollo.

Grant Hutchison

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

In days long gone newspapers would sometimes "flop" photos of people shown in profile so they would not be "looking off the page "

The paper where I worked dropped that policy and forbid the practice after some idiot editor flopped a photo of Moshe Dayan.

https://goo.gl/images/V6vaSC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2017-May-20 at 09:13 PM.

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Speaking of flipping, there is a TV commercial for a local patio furniture store briefly showing people sitting around an outdoor fire pit. I'm fairly certain that the video for those few seconds is running backward, although I can't imagine why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    In days long gone newspapers would sometimes "flop" photos of people shown in profile so they would not be "looking off the page "

The paper where I worked dropped that policy and forbid the practice after some idiot editor flopped a photo of Moshe Dayan.

https://goo.gl/images/V6vaSC
    Pretty much 1 out of 2 newspaper car advertisements here show a mirror-image number plate.

(Occasionally I think they do it to "fix" an image of a car driven from the sinister side, but usually it's just page layout, like making the vehicles on the left and right of the page "face" each other.)

If you notice that kind of thing, it does jar a bit.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

I'm not even sure this is trivial! Afters years of saying "Never Facebook!" I've just signed my wife up. The slope may be slippery from there.

the first step to the dark side is facebook, then comes twitter. then snapchat, then instagram,
    Last edited by astrotimer; 2017-May-22 at 02:57 AM.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    the first step to the dark side is facebook, then comes twitter. then twitter, then instagram,
    Twitter twice?

oops, sub in snapchat, and I changed it
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Just kidding Facebook can be nice. There was a couple I knew years ago. I was a lab partner to this woman who was a single mother and there was a guy I was in a physics society with. She asked me if I could make sure he wasn't dating anyone and a couple of years later they were married and their wedding was the last time I saw them in person. Saturday her little girl get married and I found out about it.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

I'm not even sure this is trivial! Afters years of saying "Never Facebook!" I've just signed my wife up. The slope may be slippery from there.
    "Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and um, screaming. "
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules