Page 367 of 372 FirstFirst ... 267317357365366367368369 ... LastLast
Results 10,981 to 11,010 of 11159

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    Back in the late nineties I made a trip up to Fort William and spent the weekend there with my (ex now) wife. All my friends were bemused why I would want to go to what they imagined as a "miserable, cold, wet, grey place". I have to say it is the nicest place I have ever been. We were fortunate to have great weather!! The locals were very friendly, the scenery was stunning and the walk up Ben Nevis is one of the best experiences I have ever had. We toured around the area and I visited Loch Lomond, Loch Ness, Glencoe and many other beautiful and interesting areas.
    A few years later I persuaded my friend and his wife to go. I drove and the four of us stayed in a nice wooden lodge just off the shores of Loch Linnhe.

The weather was dreadful! it rained and was cold & windy for the whole weekend. Needless to say my friend and his wife did not enjoy the experience.
    The weather in general doesn't bother me too much but I much prefer it hot than cold!
    I was married there in a January, the weather was beautiful although cold, sunshine and whisky tours. It gets better IMO as you the drive north up the west coast to the top.
    Long time ago, there were fishing boats and not too many visitors. Wonderful memories.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Fort William is certainly one of the cloudiest and wettest place in Scotland - southwesterly winds coming from the sea, running into the bulk of the Ben behind the town, make for a lot of damp, overcast days.
    I had an English colleague who worked in Fort William's small hospital for six months. She didn't know anything about the town when she arrived, and she says she worked there for a fortnight before a bright clear day occurred - which was when she noticed for the first time that there was a huge snow-covered mountain behind the town.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I have a friend who went to college here in Olympia. He'd graduated before he realized you could see Mount Rainier from a lot of places around town on a clear day.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

If you can't see it, it's raining. If you can see it, it's going to rain.

I quite like driving down the hill into Port Townsend on a clear day, where you can see Rainier, Baker, and Glacier Peak all from one spot. Glacier Peak is the most remote and least known of our volcanoes, and is generally tough to see from the east side of Puget Sound because of the mountains in the foreground.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I quite like driving down the hill into Port Townsend on a clear day ...
    Oh, synchronicity. I just learned of the existence of Port Townsend last night, while tracing the history of a rather ill-fated bringantine, the Blakeley, which operated between Seattle and Alaska during the Klondike Stampede. Among many other unfortunate episodes, the Blakeley had a passenger mutiny in Port Townsend, when they tried to load horses on to an already rather packed ship.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I feel this compulsion to check this thread to see what trivial things I might have whined about.

It been about a page or so since I complained about my ribs. Too soon to whine again.
    Solfe

My wife dragged me up a hill near Fort William many decades ago looking for a vitrified hill fort. We never found it and got lost in a nearly vertical Forestry Commission wood. I still haven't seen a vitrified fort.

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    My wife dragged me up a hill near Fort William many decades ago looking for a vitrified hill fort. We never found it and got lost in a nearly vertical Forestry Commission wood. I still haven't seen a vitrified fort.
    Dun Deardail?
    Vitrified forts tend to look just like non-vitrified forts, I'm afraid, since the stones are covered in turf. Nice viewpoint, though.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

That's the one. We had fun anyway, lost in the Highlands.

This doesn't bug me, but speaking of hill forts....

When a podcasts changes the website so it is harder to download the podcast or can't download it directly. I download the podcast to the computer and if I feel like putting it on the phone to listen while doing stuff. I don't like using itunes I don't have data on the phone.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

When someone decides relocate the place they put something like garbage bags and you can't find where they put them.

We're watching the Tour de France. Michelob has an ad campaign on based on an old Tom T. Hall song, I Like Beer. Except they've changed the lyrics from "...sometimes it makes me feel mellow" to "..especially on nights that are mellow". Because heaven forbid an alcoholic beverage ad should actually mention the main reason people drink the stuff.

There's some pharmaceutical ad that uses a (bad) cover of "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac, except they ONLY sing "Go your own way!" (because flocking to this drug over the others is a statement of individuality somehow??), which takes the song even further out of context.

The most ironic (I may have mentioned this before) is the use of The Who's "Eminence Front" to sell luxury SUVs... um.. hellloooo??

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    When someone decides relocate the place they put something like garbage bags and you can't find where they put them.
    I have the opposite problem--almost everything in the kitchen has had the same away the entire time we've lived here, and somehow, my boyfriend still does not know where that is. I can only imagine how much he struggles to find things when he's the one cooking, given how hard it is for him to remember where they go when it's his turn to put dishes away.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

More frustrating, is when we both agree to relocate something and later, neither of us can remember where we put it.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Well they have found. Some stuff in the house have going to the same spot ever since my grandparents bought it in 50's. Lately some stuff has been shifted to another locations.

For whatever reason, after three years of being ignored by various pests and rodents all of my lobelia, five different plantings, were wiped out in a single night by rats.

This was yesterday. They even had other food available.

To quote my favorite lagomorph

"You know, of course, this means war..."
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Both of these posts link to each other, is this meant to be a joke about recursion?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

The joy of a smudge on you glasses that you just can't rid of.

The joy of a smudge on you glasses that you just can't rid of.
    Yeah, but when you prove that it's not a flaw in your eye, it's quite joyous!

Something went wrong with my WiFi router this morning. My phone connected to the router, but had no internet access. Since the phone connected to the router, it didn’t bother trying to connect to the internet via the cellular network.

I rebooted the router as I left the house. Hopefully, it will have fixed itself by the time I get home from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Did you also reboot the modem?
    That used to happen to me multiple times a day. Cable company got me a new modem, now it's only a couple of times a week.....

I actually went so far as to plug both the modem and router into a dedicated outlet strip on my desk so I could just reach over and turn it off, wait a few, and turn it back on.

Did you also reboot the modem?
    Thanks for the suggestion, but all was well upon my return.

I don't know if I should be annoyed or amused. Annoyed, I think.

Someone stole my debt card information over the weekend. Since last Friday, the bank has blocked every transaction on that card but notified me yesterday. A lot of bills didn't get paid and my account is very nearly empty. Sigh.

Today, someone from the cable company showed up and asked my son for entry into the house. My son said "no" and locked the door because no adults were home.

When I got home, I called the cable company and asked what was up. They said they didn't do anything or need anything so no one should have come to my house. They advised me to call the police if I felt it was necessary. But no two ways about it, it wasn't a real cable company employee. During the course of the conversation, the subject of the bill came up. I explained the problem, apologized and I paid it.

I figured I'd sit on going to the police, because the bank may be asking me to fill a police report over the debit card thing.

About 45 minutes ago, the same cable company employee showed up at my door attempting to collect on the bill. After a few minutes, I realized he is an independent contractor. Apparently the cable company has no idea where their contractors are or what they are doing. This guy claimed he had an order to collect or cut me at the pole, but since I had paid hours ago, nothing would happen.

That is where thing went south. Do you have any idea what sort of horrible confrontation could happen if a company sends someone to your house, not wearing a uniform or driving a company vehicle. And then tells the consumer that they didn't send that person. AND that person comes back a second time? I told this guy that the call center is telling people he isn't legit, the police should be called and maybe he should find a new job.

He didn't take that well. He decided to say, "If I meant to grab your kid, I would have kicked in the screen door."

I might be a little too relaxed for life in general, but I decided not to mention the 60 pound German Shepard/Pointer mix.

Instead, I pulled out my phone and show this guy a picture of himself and his car from earlier in the day and a second series of picture of him and his car down the street, as they looked at that moment. He nearly crapped and became very apologetic. Really, that is your sorting order of concern? Pictures vs. being horribly hurt?

After he left, I called the cable company back and advised them that one of their employees was just at my house which and they responded: "How would we know that?"

Wow.
    Solfe

Wrong thread, Solfe. Not remotely trivial. I never ceased to be amazed at the ongoing stupidity of large companies.

Solfe, you showed more restraint than I would have. By the way, I make sure that all contractors know that I have two large dogs.

After a much more minor incident with my debit card being illicitly used online, I had the bank reduce the Visa-card-mode limit to zero. Now, to do anything useful with it, you need to use the card+PIN.

I only use the debit card at ATMs and the grocery store. Everything else goes on the credit card, as the hassle factor for illicit use is much less.

Best of luck sorting out your account issues.

Wrong thread, Solfe. Not remotely trivial. I never ceased to be amazed at the ongoing stupidity of large companies.
    I agree, in fact this is very serious and should be reported to the local authorities immediately. In this day and age companies, regardless of whether they are using contractors (they are still responsible for them) should know exactly what, when and where their staff are and doing!
    The company I used to work for would follow procedure to the letter when sending workers out to do jobs whether they were employees or contractors made no difference.People's welfare, even lives could be at stake if an impostor were to turn up just out of the blue.

Agreed. I would have been phoning the police as soon as the guy started arguing with me.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules