Page 101 of 403 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 12074

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Here at the hotel we have commercial grade coffee makers. We keep one pot of coffee, one of decaf, and one of hot water at the desk at all times. Or, we try. Making hot water is just running the machine without coffee grounds in the filter basket. Someone who works here doesn't get the concept of the filter basket, and puts an empty filter in it to run water.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Advertise it as filtered water.

I'd actually be inclined to put the filter in when making hot water myself. Not exactly sure why, however.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I want to see a picture of Baby Simon, and THE BOARD IS STILL BROKEN!

I just now figured out a workaround. It'll be in the other thread.

I am trivially bugged that, despite the fact that I'm considering making cookies to stay on our upstairs neighbours' good side, Graham is able to sleep through pretty much any crying. It must be the military thing--he got used to sleeping through worse?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

You can sleep with four beeeeg diesel engines running on a submarine if you need to. It builds character

I've watched people sleep through the firing of artillery rounds when I was in the Army. That's not really annoying, more like an interesting example of how the body WILL sleep when fatigued enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    It must be the military thing--he got used to sleeping through worse?
    It is entirely possible that you got better at waking up.

When my oldest son was born, we had a bassinet in our bedroom... on my wife's side of the bed. If I tried to handle things, I would get the "I'm his mother, not you" speech. By the time he was old enough to sleep in his own room and own crib, my wife was a little worn. Needless to say, neither of us was sleeping very well.

After about three days of him sleeping on his own, I ambushed my wife and started closing our bedroom door and his. I would sleep in a chair in his room armed with an alarm and bottles ready to go, so my wife could finally get some sleep. It worked out well for about three or four days.

Until the "incident".

I thought I had the timing down and would return to our room to sleep for the rest of the night. I opened the doors to both bedrooms, checked the monitor, my alarm, triple checked the baby and made a nearly fatal error. I stood in the doorway, staring at the baby one last time before going to bed. He made the tiniest, cutest:

"cough."

My wife went through me like a linebacker, scooped the baby up and glared at me. "Why didn't you check on him!"

To this day, I have no idea how she heard him.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    You can sleep with four beeeeg diesel engines running on a submarine if you need to. It builds character
    I'd like to learn that skill, I can't even sleep in the same room as my dad when he snores.

Different skill set, the generators are much closer to constant, with snoring it's the irregularity that keeps me awake.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Different skill set, the generators are much closer to constant, with snoring it's the irregularity that keeps me awake.
    Right. "White noise" can be quite helpful for sleep. When I was in the hospital and having difficulty sleeping they actually gave me a little white noise machine to use. I found I preferred the "ocean" setting. When I was discharged to the nursing home my wife bought me one to use there and now that I'm home we still sleep to it.

What really kept me awake a few years ago was my wife's sleep apnea. I'd just lie there wondering if she was EVER going to breathe again.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    "White noise" can be quite helpful for sleep. When I was in the hospital and having difficulty sleeping they actually gave me a little white noise machine to use. I found I preferred the "ocean" setting. When I was discharged to the nursing home my wife bought me one to use there and now that I'm home we still sleep to it...
    Fan, on low.

In winter it's "thunder and rain" CD.

Otherwise there's just too much noise; we live near center of a small city.

Right. "White noise" can be quite helpful for sleep. When I was in the hospital and having difficulty sleeping they actually gave me a little white noise machine to use. I found I preferred the "ocean" setting. When I was discharged to the nursing home my wife bought me one to use there and now that I'm home we still sleep to it.
    We have a stuffed lamb that also works as a white noise generator.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Right. "White noise" can be quite helpful for sleep. ...What really kept me awake a few years ago was my wife's sleep apnea. I'd just lie there wondering if she was EVER going to breathe again.
    I've just been diagnosed with that, and am now sentenced to sleep using a CPAP machine. It has two advantages: it stops me snoring which lets the wife sleep better, and it also acts accidentally as a white noise machine. Last weekend was the village festival when they play disgusting noise (I don't call it music) insanely loudly until 5 a.m. on the Sunday morning. In recent years this has meant I got no sleep for the duration, but this time the wife was kept awake whereas I heard absolutely nothing above the white noise.

Right. "White noise" can be quite helpful for sleep....
    I once used the air conditioner blower in a motel room for this purpose very effectively. I kept it running continuously to mask the noise of passing trucks.

For some reason, I really miss my old IRC chat channel today. It's been defunct for years and the people have all moved on elsewhere (some of which I am still in contact with, one of which is sitting on the sofa next to me), but sometimes it was very nice being able to just drop a line into the room and whoever was online right now would answer. I guess it just made you feel that there was always someone there, at any hour, who you could talk to.
    IM chat is just not the same. I have a much higher threshold pinging an individual person than writing in the chatroom for some reason. And forums have a much longer response time (and usually don't have a thread for idle chatter anyway).
    Don't even get me started with Twitter, tumblr etc. Does anyone actually use those things for something else than for shameless self-promotion?

*sighs*

Quote Originally Posted by jokergirl View Post
    ...I have a much higher threshold pinging an individual person than writing in the chatroom for some reason...
    I've been working from home for over a year, while most of my colleagues work in an office three time zones away. The hardest part about working from home is the fact that I can't discuss (seemingly) trivial stuff in chance meetings. Sometimes things don't rise to the level of a phone call, or even an email, but you might talk about it at the water cooler.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by jokergirl View Post
    Don't even get me started with Twitter, tumblr etc. Does anyone actually use those things for something else than for shameless self-promotion?
    My Twitter feed is about 60% replies to things other people post. I don't follow people who mostly do self-promotion unless it's part of my own shameless self promoting strategy, which isn't very good.

Have you looked into Google+ at all? A lot of people run open hangouts, where you can just pop in and chat for a bit about anything. Those are video chats with up to 8 on at once though.
    I'm Not Evil.

I use twitter to talk to my sister in Canada. She is pretty busy with things now-a-days and it allows us to cordinate just enough for real time contact on the phone or video chat. Asside from that, I haven't been able to figure out what the rest of the world uses twitter for.
    Solfe

Fans running along the road at the Tour de France, getting in the way and even setting off smoke bombs in the riders' faces.

I will, however, allow that I'm rather amused by ones who do it while dressed as Klingons, dressed as yellow devils, or pretty much not dressed at all.
    After yesterday's race, I'll add guys dressed like the Pope, Papa Smurf, and Santa Claus, waving an American flag. Back on the annoying side, the yellow jersey actually had to push a guy out of the way not far from the finish.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2013-Jul-22 at 01:11 AM.

About 4:00 PM, local time, our power went out. No apparent reason, not stormy or anything, far from it. And not a big deal. Beautiful sunny afternoon, went for a walk, chatted with neighbors, read a book. It finally came back on about 5:15, in time for me to warm up dinner. So far, nothing to bug me.

Except:
    NOW I HAVE TO RESET ALL THE *&1##@! CLOCKS. AGAIN! IT WAS JUST OUT A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO AND I HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN.

Sorry about that, had to get it off my chest.

There, we feel better now.... much better. It's just a matter of .......time

Set one alarm for midnight and trip the breaker. That's how I do the one in the kitchen. (It's actually on a switch)
    I'm Not Evil.

I'm annoyed by ambiguous headlines. Bloomberg this morning: "Copper Leads Metals Higher as European Stocks Rise". How many verbs there?

Plural verbs used with what, to American ears, are singular nouns:

England crush Australia at Lord's

Plural verbs used with what, to American ears, are singular nouns:
    But the nouns are singular, it's a case of inverted synecdoche

About 4:00 PM, local time, our power went out. No apparent reason, not stormy or anything, far from it. And not a big deal. Beautiful sunny afternoon, went for a walk, chatted with neighbors, read a book. It finally came back on about 5:15, in time for me to warm up dinner. So far, nothing to bug me.

Except:
    NOW I HAVE TO RESET ALL THE *&1##@! CLOCKS. AGAIN! IT WAS JUST OUT A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO AND I HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN.

Sorry about that, had to get it off my chest.

We have flickers all the time; probably about once a month, so I've done lots of clock resetting (most recently, yesterday). The funny thing is that different clocks have different amounts of capacitance, so depending on how brief the flicker is, not all may need to be reset. And different clocks react differently to the power returning - some go to 12:00 and stay there, others will go to 12:00 and run from there. The one by my wife's side of the bed seems to have a high capacitance and will often show the correct time, but will still be blinking in a "fix me" mode.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    I'm annoyed by ambiguous headlines. Bloomberg this morning: "Copper Leads Metals Higher as European Stocks Rise". How many verbs there?
    Wow, what a crash blossom.

Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    I had to think a while to see what the ambiguity might be, to me it quite clearly states that Metals are getting higher and Copper is leading them.
    "Leads" did not connect to the metal lead at all. Most likely because that's not a decletion of lead that makes sense.

And given the choice between interpreting it as yet another inane attempt at rationalizing a random number generator and someone who can't spell, my brain picked the former.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    I had to think a while to see what the ambiguity might be, to me it quite clearly states that Metals are getting higher and Copper is leading them.
    "Leads" did not connect to the metal lead at all. .
    On reading "Copper Leads Metals Higher as European Stocks Rise" I understood a headline listing three commodities, with the verb "are" understood. I then had to wonder how many kinds of lead there could be, and only then realised that it must be a verb. I suppose lack of familiarity with this kind of economic headline doesn't help.